Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

Best putdown I ever heard from this show!

BCzar

[1]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 4

It was from the episode "Susan Was Evil". First, I have to set the scenario: a young woman named Susan lives at a stagecoach station with her aunt Nellie. Susan has big dreams of moving to a big city like St. Louis. Those dreams are put on hold when Marshal Dillon brings in a wounded prisoner. Nellie tends to the man, much to Susan's chagrin. Nellie ends up falling in love with the prisoner and wants to marry him. Dudley, the handyman at the station, proposes to Susan, but she puts him down because he doesn't have enough money for her needs. Susan then tries to get two drifters to get rid of the prisoner, but Dillon arrives in time to break things up and save him. Susan, who won't have anything to do with Nellie's new man, chooses to stay at the station. At the end of the show, Dudley is packing up to move out, Susan tries to talk to him.

Susan: "Dudley, where are you going?"

Dudley: "Away."

Susan: "Remember yesterday when you said you had some money saved up? And that you'd take me to the city? I'll go with you now."

Dudley: "That was yesterday, Miss Susan. Today, I wouldn't have you on a whiskey bet."

That hurt MY feelings just hearing that!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jmikeh

[2]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 14
    BCzar wrote:

It was from the episode "Susan Was Evil". First, I have to set the scenario: a young woman named Susan lives at a stagecoach station with her aunt Nellie. Susan has big dreams of moving to a big city like St. Louis. Those dreams are put on hold when Marshal Dillon brings in a wounded prisoner. Nellie tends to the man, much to Susan's chagrin. Nellie ends up falling in love with the prisoner and wants to marry him. Dudley, the handyman at the station, proposes to Susan, but she puts him down because he doesn't have enough money for her needs. Susan then tries to get two drifters to get rid of the prisoner, but Dillon arrives in time to break things up and save him. Susan, who won't have anything to do with Nellie's new man, chooses to stay at the station. At the end of the show, Dudley is packing up to move out, Susan tries to talk to him.

Susan: "Dudley, where are you going?"

Dudley: "Away."

Susan: "Remember yesterday when you said you had some money saved up? And that you'd take me to the city? I'll go with you now."

Dudley: "That was yesterday, Miss Susan. Today, I wouldn't have you on a whiskey bet."

That hurt MY feelings just hearing that!

That ep was on a few weeks back on TVL. That was a cold remark. But oh so true. Susan was Evil..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.