TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

Do you think The Simpsoms will beat Gunsmoke season wise?

GerMan666

[1]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 18
    *Topic*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

daisyduke71

[2]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 14
    I think Gunsmoke was a great show. I hope not.

gunsmokegal

[3]Jan 30, 2007
    • level: 2
    Gunsmoke is known as the longest running "drama" of all time at 20 seasons.  Since The Simpsons isn't a drama, Gunsmoke would still hold its title.  However Law & Order, which is a drama, is currently in its 17th season and that's probably the one to worry about as far as surpassing Gunsmoke.  Of course, none of the original actors from the series are remaining on Law & Order, so Jim Arness and Milburn Stone would still hold the record of longest running characters.

ingary

[4]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    GerMan666 wrote:
    *Topic*

God. I hope not!

suplex2000

[5]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 11
    Well, I think The Simpsons are at either 16 or 17 Seasons, so as far as Seasons go...they might beat it, but it won't make Gunsmoke fans like the show any less.

I do know that the Pro-Wrestling show WWE Monday Night Raw is currently up to 536 episodes (which beats Bonanza that lasted 431). Whether or not it will outlast Gunsmoke's 635 episodes (Monday Night Raw would only have to last 2 more years on the air to do it) has yet to be seen.

Overall though, I still think that even if you can beat it by Seasons, or by Episodes, nothing out there can really beat it at everything as one of the longest running TV shows of all time.

Wiseguy70005

[6]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 15
    suplex2000 wrote:
    Well, I think The Simpsons are at either 16 or 17 Seasons, so as far as Seasons go...

The Simpsons is currently broadcasting the 18th season. Episodes for the 19th are already being planned.

CommandoNES

[7]Mar 31, 2007
    • level: 10

The Simpsons only has to have the same voice actors,  The actors who do the voices can go through all the episodes in a season in under a months time. It can take up to 6-8 months for screen actors to do the same amount of episodes.

I think the Simpsons will pass Gunsmoke because its not as hard to make the Simpsons or any Cartoon for that matter.  Because the voice actors are the big stars of the show and all they have to do is talk.