Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

New Gunsmoke Book

Tascosa

[1]Sep 6, 2005
    • level: 5
    This message deleted in keeping with the censorship on this topic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bwhacker

[2]Sep 6, 2005
    • level: 1
    Where did you find this book?

Tascosa

[3]Sep 6, 2005
    deleted in keeping with the censorship on this topic.

jmikeh

[4]Sep 7, 2005
    • level: 14
    Thanks for the heads up, Tascosa. I see WalMart has it for $43.50.

Tascosa

[5]Sep 8, 2005
    deleted in keeping with the moderator's censorship on this topic.

Trampas24

[6]Sep 13, 2005
    • level: 2
    In keeping with the policy of discouraging thought, free speech, or open discussion, I won't tell anyone how good this book is. Surely it's better for self-professed Gunsmoke fans not to be informed about that subject.

Next I'm going to teach a night course on the Civil War, in which no one will be permitted to discuss the Civil War. It was, after all, a nasty bit of business and just sooooooooooooooooooooo unpleasant --- all that blood, death, pain and hatred. Let's not have any of that.

M-Chef

[7]Sep 15, 2005
    Hi I am new to the board.

I read the book and I failed to have found it put anyone in a bad light in anyway. How could it, they were all good people on and off the set it appears to me.

Regarding Ms. Kitty in the book and her last year on the show. If it happend as stated in the book, so it did. It would have had to be a mutal thing for you know Ms. Kitty would have had co-worker and fan support if it was anything other than a mutal agreement.
    Regarding her marriage at that time. Some of the nicest people get into poor relationships. It fails to change who the person is nor how one admire and love's them. Ms. Kitty is a women to be admired and one I continue to. She was a strong women and her strength shined throughout her life in my opinion.

What person has not made a poor choice in life at one time or another regarding something??

I know GS fans are as protective of the show and cast as the actors were of it. If it had been a book that bashed GS or the actors/actresses in any negative manner, I know we wouuld be all up in arms and boycotting the book. In my opinion this book failed to. It merely reinforced how the actors/actress cared and loved one another along with their characters, the show and their fans.

Judge with ones owns eyes, I always say.

I have read JA's book and I take his words to be as good as gold on things.

M-Chef.

Trampas24

[8]Sep 15, 2005
    M-Chef wrote:
    Hi I am new to the board.

I read the book and I failed to have found it put anyone in a bad light in anyway. How could it, they were all good people on and off the set it appears to me.

Regarding Ms. Kitty in the book and her last year on the show. If it happend as stated in the book, so it did. It would have had to be a mutal thing for you know Ms. Kitty would have had co-worker and fan support if it was anything other than a mutal agreement.
    Regarding her marriage at that time. Some of the nicest people get into poor relationships. It fails to change who the person is nor how one admire and love's them. Ms. Kitty is a women to be admired and one I continue to. She was a strong women and her strength shined throughout her life in my opinion.

What person has not made a poor choice in life at one time or another regarding something??

I know GS fans are as protective of the show and cast as the actors were of it. If it had been a book that bashed GS or the actors/actresses in any negative manner, I know we wouuld be all up in arms and boycotting the book. In my opinion this book failed to. It merely reinforced how the actors/actress cared and loved one another along with their characters, the show and their fans.

Judge with ones owns eyes, I always say.

I have read JA's book and I take his words to be as good as gold on things.

M-Chef.

Thank you for adding another informed voice to this forum. I have not heard anything signifantly different from anyone who has actually read this book. Incidentally, I don't mind people criticizing this or any other book, if they have real information about its content (and have, at a minimum, actually read it!).

I have always had a very similar impression of Amanda Blake and Miss Kitty - there seemed to be a lot of that woman in the character she played. Miss Kitty went through an awful lot in her time too, but her ordeals only seemed to toughen her - she was a real survivor. I could not believe that Amanda Blake was only 60 when she died - she lived (at least partly) a tough life. May she rest in peace.

Al

Tascosa

[9]Sep 16, 2005
    You know what we haven't brought up, is that if as the author of this book claims, amanda blake was fired after the 19th season, how classy it was of amanda never to bad mouth the producer who fired her or to whine about what a rough time she was having in her personal life at the time. It only increases my respect for the dear lady.

M-Chef

[10]Sep 16, 2005
    Hi Al

Welcome. I do hope you recieve the chance to read the book for yourself as I think you will enjoy it.

I agree there did seem to be a lot of Amanda and Ms. Kitty within each other, especially her caring heart and loving ways in my opinion.

Ms. Kitty went through a lot on the show at times as it appears Amanda did her in her personal life and true to both Amanda and the character she played, she handled both with class, style and strength.

I agree she was a true survivor.

My mother and I were domestic violence survivors, and I know from personal experience, that what you say is quite true, it does toughen one, however it fails to harden ones heart (for some of us) and it never did Ms. Kitty's nor Amanda's either.

It is so sad that she died so young. She provided us with more than her mere 60yrs on this earth and still continues to live in the heart of many and forever shall.

She was a true gem of a women in my opinion.

M-Chef

M-Chef

[11]Sep 16, 2005
    True. She was one class act. Despite her own personal issues and pain she did not wish for others to be hurt due to it and especially not her co-stars and the show.

Here is what it says in the book regarding the situation and how to handle it.

"Wisely it was decided to sugarcoat what happend by stating that Blake voluntarily decided to leave the show-a decision that Blake readily agreed with fearing that negative publicity would hurt the show and much worse, her beloved co-stars."

I also think she did not wish to hurt her fans. I know in todays world, if the show was on and the situation came out, Amanda would receive nothing other than love and support, regarding her situation. Back when the show was on, domestic situations were not much understood let alone spoken of. Sadly.

She has my sincere respect and admiration.

M-Chef

Trampas24

[12]Sep 16, 2005
    The people who made that show were different from most performers. I think all of them really cared about Gunsmoke and about each other a lot, and went on doing so even after they left and after the series ended. In a way, it almost sounds as if Amanda couldn't quite bring herself to just say "I quit," so she set it up for them to fire her (sounds weird, I know).

It was extremely classy and very, very unusual for everyone to keep this a secret for so many years. I think it showed real caring about the show, each other, and the millions of Gunsmoke fans who had come to regard them as friends. I see no harm in discussing it now. I'm sorry Amanda was such an unhappy person for much of her life, but none of this changes her accomplishments or diminishes the character she created; it doesn't change how I see Gunsmoke either - I don't think anything could do that.

Al

M-Chef

[13]Sep 16, 2005
    It fails to sound weird, to my best of my knowledge I think that is actually what it said in the book as well. That she had kind of set it up for them to let her go.

Amanda loved the show, she would even go to the set on her days off. I am able to see her being unable to leave the show and needing someone to say "We are letting you go". I think if in those shoes I would have handled it in the same manner.

I agree with your view on the cast and the people how true that they were all a class act and those still with us, continue to be.

For me also fails to change my view on the show or any of the cast members either.

M-Chef

azcwgirl

[14]Sep 17, 2005
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]

Tascosa

[15]Sep 17, 2005
    Sigh, and we're still waiting for cowgirl to post something, anything that has to do with gunsmoke instead of another personal attack. Guess we better not hold our breath waiting.

ronzoni

[16]Sep 17, 2005
    [This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]

M-Chef

[17]Sep 17, 2005
    azcwgirl

I am new to the board and have not been signed up under any previous name. My first time joining the board.

I fail to know what issues have occurred on the board prior to my joining it, however I fail to appreciate you dragging me into something that fails to have anything to do with me.

If you are making this semi personal attack for you have a issue with my post then please direct your specific question or issue to me and I shall do my best to reply.

I am sorry for any issue's you have had with a Trampy?? however I fail to be him or her.

With all due respect, I would appreciate you refraining from making false assumptions nor accusations about me.

I am new member and new to the board. I sincerely hope your post with my name mentioned fail to be your welcoming post to me. Yikes.

M-Chef

Trampas24

[18]Sep 17, 2005
    M-Chef wrote:
    azcwgirl

I am new to the board and have not been signed up under any previous name. My first time joining the board.

I fail to know what issues have occurred on the board prior to my joining it, however I fail to appreciate you dragging me into something that fails to have anything to do with me.

If you are making this semi personal attack for you have a issue with my post then please direct your specific question or issue to me and I shall do my best to reply.

I am sorry for any issue's you have had with a Trampy?? however I fail to be him or her.

With all due respect, I would appreciate you refraining from making false assumptions nor accusations about me.

I am new member and new to the board. I sincerely hope your post with my name mentioned fail to be your welcoming post to me. Yikes.

M-Chef

M-Chef,

THe simple answer is that we have one or more internet trolls and disrupters on the board, as on many other boards, who are not interested in the subject at hand, but post some personal attacks on various board contributors every day or so. It's not clear how many of them there are or if it is just one bozo using several names, but all of these internet trolls and disrupters are sick puppies who have no life and get a cheap thrill out of doing this. Laura, who monitors the board, is aware of this and is trying to filter out these posts.

Al

M-Chef

[19]Sep 17, 2005
    Al

Thank you for taking the tim to explain the sitution to me. When I read the post this morning I was baffled and a bit taken back. Being new to the board both posting and reading (Have not been able to read many posts as of yet), I failed to understand what was going on.
    This is my first time running into such a problem.

I am glad that Linda the monitor is aware of the situation and I am sure doing her best to stop it.

I am in agreeance with you regarding your choice of words on the people who do such a thing to these boards. I find it terribly sad, especially on a GS board for that show stood for so many things such as, right from wrong, values, respect etc. Perhaps the internet trolls should actually watch the show perhaps they would learn something from it.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain the situation to me, I do truly appreciate it.

M-Chef

vttbotsea

[20]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 3
    This board has completely changed since GS was dropped over to Westerns. M-Chef, it used to be a great place to come to every day. Alas, no more.