Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

New Gunsmoke Book

laurameyer

[21]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 58
    M-Chef wrote:
    Al

Thank you for taking the tim to explain the sitution to me. When I read the post this morning I was baffled and a bit taken back. Being new to the board both posting and reading (Have not been able to read many posts as of yet), I failed to understand what was going on.
    This is my first time running into such a problem.

I am glad that Linda the monitor is aware of the situation and I am sure doing her best to stop it.

I am in agreeance with you regarding your choice of words on the people who do such a thing to these boards. I find it terribly sad, especially on a GS board for that show stood for so many things such as, right from wrong, values, respect etc. Perhaps the internet trolls should actually watch the show perhaps they would learn something from it.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain the situation to me, I do truly appreciate it.

M-Chef

My name is Laura not Linda.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

M-Chef

[22]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 1
    Laura

My apologies for mis stating your name.

M-Chef.

gunsmokefan

[23]Sep 18, 2005
    • level: 2
    M-Chef....As many other poster's have said recently, this board is no longer the place it used to be, that's sad. Also the positive contributers have dropped to a staggering degree. I'm not sure when it started, but let's hope in time it gets back to where it was.

Tascosa

[24]Sep 18, 2005
    • level: 5
    vttbotsea, gunsmokefan, and all, I could be wrong, but it seems that most of the negativity we've experienced here recently has been as a result of what has been described as internet trolls who have nothing to add to the discussion of our favorite show. I realize I was wrong to engage those intent on disrupting this forum in namecalling and putdowns. That just added to the bad vibes. I mistakenly thought such tactics might embarass and drive them away. Thad was dumb of me. Obviously, the best tactic as hard as it is, is to ignore those who have nothing to add and let laura handle them by deleting their posts. I think I was one of the first members here, along with villafea and a few others, not on the tvtome site but here on this tv.com forum , and I agree things were a lot more friendly in the early days. I apologize to Laura and all for getting defensive about this forum and for my posts that may have contributed to driving some good members away. Hopefully, they'll return when they see we are once again discussing only matters related to gunsmoke. I realize this apology is not much, but I sincerely hope it helps.

fhfan

[25]Sep 19, 2005
    • level: 4
    I think the best next step is to just talk about Gunsmoke. After all, that's why were here.

Can anyone tell me if Festus always shot his rifle left handed when he shot his gun right handed, or did he switch some place in between the first B&W seasons or the colors?

Unfortunately, I haven't seen all the B&W's. I need to look at the early ones and see if he was regularly using his left hand or not with a rifle even at the beginning.

Trampas24

[26]Sep 19, 2005
    Tascosa wrote:
    vttbotsea, gunsmokefan, and all, I could be wrong, but it seems that most of the negativity we've experienced here recently has been as a result of what has been described as internet trolls who have nothing to add to the discussion of our favorite show. I realize I was wrong to engage those intent on disrupting this forum in namecalling and putdowns. That just added to the bad vibes. I mistakenly thought such tactics might embarass and drive them away. Thad was dumb of me. Obviously, the best tactic as hard as it is, is to ignore those who have nothing to add and let laura handle them by deleting their posts. I think I was one of the first members here, along with villafea and a few others, not on the tvtome site but here on this tv.com forum , and I agree things were a lot more friendly in the early days. I apologize to Laura and all for getting defensive about this forum and for my posts that may have contributed to driving some good members away. Hopefully, they'll return when they see we are once again discussing only matters related to gunsmoke. I realize this apology is not much, but I sincerely hope it helps.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I've gotten sucked into arguing with these idiots myself, both here and on other boards. It's weird, but the trolls have a way of pushing your buttons and getting you worked up before you realize that you've been had. However, on this forum, I think we now know them when we see them and ignoring them is the only solution. If they don't get a rise out of you, their day is ruined and they wander onto other boards.

Al

Trampas24

[27]Sep 19, 2005
    fhfan wrote:
    I think the best next step is to just talk about Gunsmoke. After all, that's why were here.

Can anyone tell me if Festus always shot his rifle left handed when he shot his gun right handed, or did he switch some place in between the first B&W seasons or the colors?

Unfortunately, I haven't seen all the B&W's. I need to look at the early ones and see if he was regularly using his left hand or not with a rifle even at the beginning.

Agreed - we should leave the trolls to Laura and stick to Gunsmoke.

I had never noticed that before about Festus - Maybe Ken was ambidextrous? I'll look more closely the next time.

Al

tvnutt

[28]Sep 29, 2005
    • level: 3
    Hi,

I'm new and just started reading a few of the posts. Please clarify this for me, are people upset with the book, what people are posting about Amanda Blake, or both?

I'm a journalist/news producer and I know how important it is to get both sides of the story and it is sad that Amanda Blake and John Mantley are not here to give their side.People's attitudes change with time and AB did come back for the Return to Dodge movie, so maybe the hard feelings had passed?

I don't think it's fair to assume that the author got kickbacks, etc. for writing the book. As many people say, who knows? What I don't understand is why people take offense when they hear, read or even see posts online about the actors' private lives. Sure, that's not the first thing that crosses my mind but it does pique my curiosity to hear a tid bit here and there that someone drops yet doesn't have the courtesy to give sources or more info. It's well known that the cast of GS had personal problems, no one should ignore that and only want to hear the "goody-good" side of the show. It's reality, let's face the facts.

The best source is always the first source, ie the person. I admit I'm curious to know more behind the scenes info but would not bug a person to find out, unless they were willing to share the information.

Bottom line, I think people should be able to express their hatred/like for something but not bash the heck out of people expressing their opinions.

tvnutt

[29]Sep 29, 2005
    • level: 3
    Hi,

I'm new and just started reading a few of the posts. Please clarify this for me, are people upset with the book, what people are posting about Amanda Blake, or both?

I'm a journalist/news producer and I know how important it is to get both sides of the story and it is sad that Amanda Blake and John Mantley are not here to give their side.People's attitudes change with time and AB did come back for the Return to Dodge movie, so maybe the hard feelings had passed?

I don't think it's fair to assume that the author got kickbacks, etc. for writing the book. As many people say, who knows? What I don't understand is why people take offense when they hear, read or even see posts online about the actors' private lives. Sure, that's not the first thing that crosses my mind but it does pique my curiosity to hear a tid bit here and there that someone drops yet doesn't have the courtesy to give sources or more info. It's well known that the cast of GS had personal problems, no one should ignore that and only want to hear the "goody-good" side of the show. It's reality, let's face the facts.

The best source is always the first source, ie the person. I admit I'm curious to know more behind the scenes info but would not bug a person to find out, unless they were willing to share the information.

Bottom line, I think people should be able to express their hatred/like for something but not bash the heck out of people expressing their opinions.

Trampas24

[30]Sep 29, 2005
    Welcome! You bring a refreshing voice to the forum.

The short version of this issue is that there was a lot of chatting about the new Gunsmoke book by Ben Costello, since there is only one other quality, in-depth book on the show in print and that was published years ago (the Gabor's book, which is still excellent and highly recommended).

Someone who read the book posted the previously unknown fact that, according to Costello's sources, Amanda Blake was fired from Gunsmoke after 19 years - she didn't actually quit, as had been previously reported and believed since 1974. There was nothing particularly important or shocking about this; it was just a surprise to learn that after so many years.

The book also leaves the impression that Amanda did want to leave the show and had tired of the workload, difficult location shooting, etc. However (again, according the impression one gets from the book), she could not quite bring herself to say "I quit" and leave. So she went out of her way to become so difficult that she forced Mantley to fire her. She apparently made outrageous demands (which I doubt she expected them to meet), such as an entire new, very costly wardrobe, no location shoots, etc. There is no information suggesting that she, or anyone else on the show, was difficult to get along with or any sort of a problem up to then. Mantley really had no other option, so he fired her.

I'm guessing that the rest of the cast saw this coming and wasn't surprised by it, although they were probably sorry to see her go since Kitty was such an important part of the show.

As to the nasty exchanges on this forum regarding the book, if you care to spend the time going through several threads, you will see that this was caused by your common, garden-variety internet troll/disrupter, who thought it would be fun to make a big issue out of this by attempting to trash Costello's book. This person used a number of different names here and made ridiculous accusations, such as the author himself posting here under assumed names in order to hawk his book (a strange conclusion if this troll really believed the author had offended Gunsmoke fans by revealing the firing of Amanda Blake). Kickbacks? For what? Kickbacks require considerable money being made somewhere first, and these books seldom sell very many copies beyond the die-hard fans. Prior to the advent of Amazon and other online shopping sites, books like the Gabor's Gunsmoke book could only be ordered by mail from the publisher, many of which focused their sales mainly on libraries.

The troll later attempted to claim he/she had attended the Gunsmoke 50th anniversary celebration in Dodge City, Kansas, where he/she met James Arness and got his autograph, although Arness only stayed for 45 minutes. This blatant lie was exposed by several posters who had either attended this event or spoken to others who had, and by newspaper accounts, all of which showed that Mr. Arness no longer travels and, although his wife and stepson did attend, was not at the celebration.

Hope this clears things up and that you'll stick around.