Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

New Viewer

Timewhisper

[1]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 7

Out of boredom, I checked out the 1st season of Gunsmoke out at the library. The 1st episode was good, the next few were mixed some good, some not so much; but after that most of the eps have been very entertaining. I checked out the 2nd season volumes as the library got them and the 2nd season was better than the 1st, not a perfect show, 1/2 hour leaves little time for characterization but there is some and the stories and action are good.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvking1

[2]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 42
    Have you checked out seasons 3-6? They were the last four seasons of the half-hour format, and it was the # 1 show on television for each of those seasons. Ratings started to decline after it was expanded to an hour, and it was nearly cancelled after season 12, until CBS chairman Bill Paley, who along with his wife was a huge fan, intervened and saved it (at the expense of Gilligan's Island. Then ratings improved and it lasted eight more seasons.

Timewhisper

[3]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 7
    tvking1 wrote:
    Have you checked out seasons 3-6? They were the last four seasons of the half-hour format, and it was the # 1 show on television for each of those seasons. Ratings started to decline after it was expanded to an hour, and it was nearly cancelled after season 12, until CBS chairman Bill Paley, who along with his wife was a huge fan, intervened and saved it (at the expense of Gilligan's Island. Then ratings improved and it lasted eight more seasons.

So far only the 1st half of season 3 (after season 2)is on DVD and that isn't available there yet, when it becomes available I will check it out.

daveblyth

[4]May 18, 2009
    • level: 15

I remember watching Gunsmoke as a teenager in the UK in the early 60's - no idea which series.

I have recently imported the first season from the USA and have been impressed by how well the individual episodes have stood the the test of time - half a century or more. I feel that the stronger scripts were those penned by Sam Peckinpah - how do others react to this?

Am expecting the arrival of season 2 in the next few days and am eagerly awaiting being able to view these.

Codeguru

[5]May 20, 2009
    • level: 6

tvking1 wrote:

All I can say is thank god, who cares about Gilligan's Island if you can have 8 more years of Gunsmoke. I watch it every day now that it is on so much, except for a few tiresome "civil rights" episodes it is one of the best things ever. I'm glad they air it an Bonanza together, great combination...

Codeguru

Edited on 05/20/2009 1:29pm