Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

Radio Gunsmoke

Random862

[1]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    I was looking something up and came across this great site about the Radio version of Gunsmoke. Thought fans might be interested in reading a bit about it. Radio Gunsmoke

Here is another one.

Radio Gunsmoke
    Edited on 04/03/2008 8:28am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tygermoonfoxx

[2]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 5

I've been enjoying the Gunsmoke radio episodes via podcast on iTunes though they're somewhat slow to put them out (the last one was on 3/12). There's a big difference in the characters of the radio episodes and the television episodes though they do share some commonalities. The Marshal in the radio episodes seems older, more hard bitten, and more likely to break or bend the rules to suit him. I took a passionate dislike to Doc because he's portrayed as a maudlin drunk who only cares about himself and his fees. Chester, on the other hand, really shines as a character in the radio episodes. He's nowhere near as slow or stupid nor is he comedic relief. There are even some hints dropped in the radio show that perhaps Chester has an Indian background of his own.

It's a wonderful experience to listen to these, but don't expect them to be anything like the television shows even though some of the television episodes are based on them.

fhfan

[3]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 4

Call me slow, but I just downloaded the free ones. They tend to be mp3. They are great.

For those who haven't already found them, they are a treasure. There are a few differences between the radio versions and the TV versions.

One thing, though, they were being aired at the same time over a five year period.

ingary

[4]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 5
    I've listened to a few of the episodes off of Gunsmokenet.com and found them interesting, but I like the TV show better. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that that's what I'm used to, though. It is kind of cool to see (hear, whatever ) the way it developed and blossomed over the years.