Gunsmoke Forums

CBS (ended 1975)

What's your favourite time period of Gunsmoke?

What time period do you perfer of Gunsmoke?

neon2farmer

[1]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 11
    i perfer the latter episode like the 70's.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jmikeh

[2]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 14
    I used to think that also, neon2. I grew up with the latter 60s and 70s episodes. But once I finally got to see some of the older b/w 30 minutes episodes my mind changed. I still love the older ones but really came to appreciate and prefer the older black and whites.

ingary

[3]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 5
    I love the black and white hours.  That was when the characters really seemed to come into their own, and, while the scripts for the half hours were great, there wasn't really time to develop deep and involved plots.  Plus, I've always been all about details, the little things that aren't necessarily pertinent to the plot, but add to the charm of the episode.

neon2farmer

[4]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 11
    I have never seen the black and whites so i shouldn't have said i liked the latter ones better. i'm sure the b&w's are also good.

BuckeyeJohn

[5]Nov 21, 2006
    • level: 2
    The hour-long b&w's are my favorite.  I was too young to see any of these when they were first run, but have since seen nearly every one of them (1962-1966) when they were run daily on the Encore Westerns channel.  The black and white filming gave the shows a certain grim feel, and the plots were darker, too.  It wasn't unusual for a "good guy" character to end up dead at some point.  Any episode from this period that was directed by Harry Harris is a treat. 

bloak314

[6]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 1
    Hey Buckeyejohn, My favs are also the 1 hr b/w, I only ever saw the color episodes as a teen, I still like them a lot. I got the first GS aniversery dvd collection. The 1/2 hr were good but a bit short. It is hard to develop a good story in 30 min. I recently got access to a few seasons of 1hr bw, the characters are well developed, the stories are good, I watched one the other night, "no hands", a good episode.

aragonzo

[7]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 1
    'No Hands' is a brilliant episode - akin to a Greek tragedy. And the ending - and I will not do a 'spoiler' here - is one of the most satisfying ever seen.

Others of that era of GS include 'Kate Heller' and 'Cooper Caper' - with about the most disturbing 5 minute teaser I've ever seen, even though it is essentially unrelated to the episode itself.

The last episode featuring Chester is another highpoint - I cannot remember the name of the show, but it is as suspenseful as anything else on TV, with a great performance by D. Weaver.

Rich - as aragonzo