Gunsmoke

CBS (ended 1975)

laurameyer

Gunsmoke Fan Reviews (29)

• Gunsmoke! Greatest show of all time!!!

I grew up watching Gunsmoke as a kid and always wanted to be like Marshal Dillon yet comedic like Festus or Chester. There was always a variety of drama and laughter throughout the series, that's what made the show so GREAT!

Encore Westerns recently rewound back several years from 1966 to 1961, now the Chester era. I finally get to see the episodes with Chester (Dennis Weaver) and he's as funny and silly as Festus is, you gotta love that! I've only known Gunsmoke to be on TV Land all these years until it got canceled from TV Land few months ago. I'd like to see a network channel that'll show all the Gunsmoke episodes from beginning to end, that would be nice.

I love Matt Dillon's serious side, you don't dare mess with Matthew! As a Marshal, he was very hard but fair as always, professional yet courteous to his fellow man and woman. I would've loved to see the final episode of him and Kitty riding off in the sunset together. That may have been the perfect ending to the entire series.

Kitty... she was definietly easy on the eyes. A fine good looking woman who was tough as nails when she had to be. That's the kind of women I like...grooooowl !!!

Thad and Newly... always there for Matt when it got a bit rough out there, great back-up no matter what! I'll have to admit, the episode where Newly got married to a woman who just died after was tear jerking! Everyone knew she was going to die soon and all felt heartbroken over it.

Chester... still getting to know his character right now but realizing he's a lot like Festus yet more slightly on the serious side. Can someone tell me why Chester's leg limps? Was there a storyline to that or never brought up? Would love to know.

Louie Pheters... the town drunk. He tends to be at the wrong place and at the wrong time seems like. So drunk yet so innocent, I always feel sorry for him. I like how he always tells Matt "You're my friend Matt!" with a shaky scared voice and Matt lets Louie sleep it off in his jail.

And last but never least - Doc and Festus, my 2 favorites!! I will always crack up at those two when they go at it! That is definitely me and my old man neighbor next door. We are a lot like them. Too many scenes to mention, but every episode where they do the "Abbott & Costello" routines is a breath of fresh air to me! And yet when something happens to one of them the other either cries or gets deeply upset. I would've loved to see a spin-off series of just those two going at it all the time. "You old scudder"!

I knew Ken Curtis could sing (and I know he was with the Sons of the Pioneers) but never like what I saw on You Tube doing "Tumbling Tumbleweeds". What a voice! I didn't know Festus could sing that good!!! Holy Crap!!! His voice as Festus is so high pitched you would think he's lip synching to it. And yet he still wears his Gunsmoke clothes in that video, CLASSIC!!! Rest in peace my friend! I'll drink a beer with you anyday!

So yes, Festus is my favorite character from Gunsmoke, Dont'cha See???!!!

SFC Mark Michael, U.S. Army (Desert Storm Veteran).
TVLAND