A Halt and Catch Fire Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on AMC
In the last episode of HaCF Gordon literally dug himself in a hole, Cameron was seeking answers about her relationship with Joe, Joe was starting to show his feelings for Cameron and Cardiff Electric was running out of money to fund “THE GIANT”. All of characters seemed to be at an interesting point and where they were heading was hopefully going to be explained in this episode. “The 214s” not only showed how Joe and gang were progressing with themselves but also the lengths they would go to succeed. Secrets that were kept were revealed, decisions on relationships were made and there was a sacrifice for the sake of the project. This episode was my favorite so far and I feel like the fire is finally catching on. Let's hop into the Family Truckster and chat!

Good Ol’ Bosworth had a very bad day. He was arrested. He was so desperate for funds that he enlisted Cameron’s help to hack into a bank’s computer system and steal funds with the thought that they’d put the money back. That NEVER works out. His speech about who deserves the credit and making others see that was played passionately by Toby Hess. It was a gut wrenching moment. He is willing to go to jail to see the product succeed. It’s a huge sacrifice and I hope Bosworth doesn’t suffer greatly for it. I love his fatherly relationship with Cameron and I hope this isn’t the end of that.

Have we seen the last of Bosworth?
Was it too desperate of him to steal the bank funds?
How do you feel about him taking all the blame?
Is there anyway he can escape jail time?
How will this affect them selling “The Giant” at Comdex?

Donna spent most of this episode struggling with her guilt about Hunt and marriage to Gordon. I can’t say I didn’t see this coming. I knew she would question her marriage and be a little guilty. With Gordon’s actions of late, she is wondering if it’s still worth it. Also Hunt showed up (like a stalker) and gave her reason to think that he does like her back. There was a lot for Donna to think about and she needed to make a decision soon. When she saw that Gordon stole “The Giant” and was going to go to Comdex anyway that was her last straw. She was packing to leave Crazy Gordon and after asking “The Giant” for advice she then found a sweet reminder of their past and a promise Gordon had made to her. It was enough to change her mind because with her bags packed she is heading to Comdex with the gang.

Was Hunt showing up a little bit stalker-ish?
Did Hunt resign from T.I. because of Donna?
Are you happy that Donna is going to Comdex with the team?
Has Donna made the right choice to “be crazy” with Gordon?

Crazy Gordon broke his downward spiral by using calming techniques and proving he can be pretty darn amazing. I finally understand why and how Gordon and Donna became a couple. Back in their days at Berkley both Gordon and Donna were passionate, crazy and adorably geeky. As their relationship evolved Donna along the way felt a need to change and take care of Gordon. He points this out to her, even admits he is crazy and he needs her to be supportive and “be crazy” with him, not someone to worry and take care of him. I see what possibly makes Gordon so amazing, his passion and his love for Donna. I was absolutely blown away by how quick he was with taking apart “The Giant” (so the Feds wouldn’t take it) and how he broke into Cardiff to get it back. He then managed to get Joe and Cameron to jump on his crazy train and head to Comdex anyway. Go Gordon Go!

Are you getting “crazy” with Gordon?
Were you impressed with his actions?
How sweet was his decoder ring for Donna?

Cameron was in some deep crap. I can’t feel bad for because she puts herself there but then I do because the people who “care” for her betray her. She found out that Joe set up her whole code fiasco and was pissed! She gave him one heck of a punch to the face. Then Bosworth used her for the hacking deal. I have no doubt she was eager to break into the bank’s system but she didn’t think of the possible consequences. She is very lucky that Bosworth sees how talented she is and that he is willing to absorb all the blame. She is now free to add her expertise to the Comdex trip. She needs to use this freedom as a gift and try to not put herself in situations like that. I’m still hoping that more interaction with Donna will ground her a bit.

Do you think Bosworth took advantage of Cameron?
Should she have gone to Joe about the money problem?
How “safe” do you think Cameron is?
Chain-linked fence storage room sex, would you be ok after it? ;)

Joe had issues with controlling his universe. He has been misunderstanding people, telling lies and portraying himself above his means. It is all about JOE and HIS success. Not anything to do with Cameron or Gordon. Both of them have every right to be pissed at him. I loved how Gordon stood up to him and Cameron called him out about destroying things. I will give it to Joe that he did “create” the two of them though. He just needs to realize that to be successful that he shouldn’t do it alone and should trust people to help him (I’ve said this multiple times). There is no I in TEAM and like his Dad said a dream comes true with hard work. Selling his car and going rogue to Comdex is a step in the right direction. I also feel that Joe has misread his father’s intentions. I have a feeling that Sr. wants Joe to succeed and Joe has seen it a different way since his father lied about Mom’s fate. Sure Sr. shouldn’t have lied but it was to protect Joe. I was surprised that Joe broke so easily (I thought him running to Daddy was over the top) but in the end I think he desperately wants Dad’s approval.

Was Joe’s reaction to IBM’s portable justified? Or a little baby-ish?
Are you looking forward to more “team work”?
What will Joe’s Dad reaction be when he find out that Joe is still going to Comdex?
Will you miss Joe’s car?

A few more for fun…..

Do you want more of wacky neighbor?
Who gets eaten first on the road trip?
Is it me or was the writing in this episode much better than usual?
Finally.....what the heck does 214s mean? Any other takers for a meaning?
33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
My love for this show grows with every episode. Long may it continue.........
Flag
I hope it gets another season!
Flag
Agreed, one of the best shows on telly right now.
Flag
This show is awesome....that is all.
Flag
It is! :)
Flag
The Joe Daddy thing was over the top. Fact is the whole episode was and another fact is the whole damn show is but that's why its great.
Well written over "over the top" I should note.

In keeping with the Texas backdrop - "There is no I in Team..."
Holy cow - is this Friday Night Lights?
Flag
Clear eyes full hearts! ;)
Flag
Thank you Jen! Great review!
Flag
I loved this week's episode. I loved everyone is banding together and all going crazy. I think it reminds all of us of a time during our younger days where we would come together with our friends as a group to try to do something that seems impossible.

I feel the adrenaline rush just by watching them and I was cheering them on.

I felt so sad that Donna was leaving Gordon and taking the cute girls. I would totally understand if she did. Thank god,she decided to make a U turn and followed them to Comdex.

I think Bosworth had turned out to be a great character and let's hope we see more of him.
Flag
Impossible or adventurous? :)
Flag
I guess both :-)
Flag
I loved how Joe sparked this vision that dragged everyone kicking and screaming to the future or his "dream" of a future and despite his own doubts in it and himself it has still infected everyone around him, Gordon, Bos, Cameron even Donna. They believe in this shared "baby" they've given birth to and I loved and cheered Gordon's crazy focus and determination in the face of an FBI raid. Boz you broke my heart you son of a gun.
Flag
Bos turned up to be such a lovable character. I did not see that coming.
Flag
Yeh I want to hug him as well!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Quick answers: Bos:Yep. Hunt:Nope. Donna:Yes! Gordon:Yes! Cameron:No Joe:Yes. Other:NO!
OK maybe that doesn't make much sense. :-)

I almost wanted to be surprised to find out who Bos called at the end of the last episode, and all the stuff those 214s would get up to. But alas, weeks pass between episodes of this series and it was not to be.

I liked that Gordon stopped drinking and is tackling is self-worth panics. It doesn't make up for his endless hitting new lows in almost every previous episode, but this week he did save the Giant, the team and the COMDEX trip (so far).

I was a mess at two points: When Donna surprised us all by saying she's going to COMDEX (instead of leaving Gordon), and Cameron hugging Bos.
Flag
AHAHAHA! I think I "understand" your quick answers....I think. ;)
I totally got a little lump in my throat with Boz and Cameron. I feel that their relationship can be so much more so crossing my fingers it does. As for Donna leaving Gordon.....she would have left him if she didn't find the ring and that storyline would have not been fun. So I'm glad she got a reminder of who she use to be. I want to see that Donna more!
Flag
Thanks JenMo73, for the post, great analysis and questions. I thought this was a really good episode, the best of the bunch. Last week was hard to watch, too much conflict between characters and sad to watch Gordon spiral downward. But this week was quite a turn around. It was fast paced, suspenseful and optimistic for a change. I loved that the writers finally put the three of them together (Joe, Cameron and Gordon) to hash things out, first in the garage, and then in Joe's apartment. It almost seemed like a cliff hanger (would it have been a good season finale?). I can't wait for next week. And I am sure that Joe and Gordon will argue about where to stop, when to stop or what to eat because they argue about everything! Donna will have to be the mom to keep the kids from killing each other in the back seat. “Are we there yet?”

I loved how Gordon thought quickly and knew exactly what to do with the Giant when the FBI arrived. It seems as if Gordon is swinging back and forth from showing he is capable of brilliant thought and deeds to that other dark place where he is dangerously close to losing everything.

The most shocking development was when Joe runs back to New York to see his father. Was it for the money and security, or was it to be somewhere he was guaranteed success? It was a great scene though, and filled in all the blanks that have been left hanging, about the scars Joe has, about his mother and why Joe thought his father hated him. So why did he go in person? Unfortunately this may finally reveal Joe's true motives, which are basically self serving. He was selfishly deserting Cardiff and throwing away all the hard work that had been done, all the blood sweat and tears that Cameron and Gordon had given to him, all the sacrifices that Boz had made for the project. How could he walk away from them so easily? I could not believe he was willing to go back to IBM, and even got a promise from his father that the portable would be “his” project. Then, another shock, he quickly changes his mind again, and decides to go with Gordon and Cameron to Comdex. Maybe Joe just went to his father to prove to himself that his father loved him and was willing to take him back into the fold (at IBM)? Can't figure Joe out. He has a hard time committing to any one thing. Easy come. Easy go.

So many questions are left unanswered, what will happen to Boz, will Cardiff get him out of trouble, maybe drop the charges? I hope so. Wasn't the hacking just moving funds around on Cardiff's ledger, did it really matter? You would think Cardiff might admire Bosworth's dedication and creativity in getting funds for the project. Well, maybe not.

What happened to Donna's boss that he thought he had to quit? Will TI offer her that job?

It definitely seemed as if this episode were written by a different team of writers, the dialogue was compelling and revealing instead of cryptic and snail paced. Some of those early episodes seemed like fillers, with little to no character development. I only wish all episodes had been this good. I hope the ratings improve.
More+
Flag
Yes, it was a great episode. I wonder if the writing was more focused like this if the ratings for earlier episodes would have been better.
Joe aggravates me! I'm over him right now and I'm more interested in the Gordon we saw in this episode. The other thing that I'm perplexed about is Hunt's true intentions. Was he stalking Donna or spying on Gordon?
Flag
I"m beginning to think that Hunt was working for IBM, as others have speculated. Hunt may have been a corporate spy planted by IBM to keep an eye on TI and perhaps help influence the TI decision to drop their computer line? Maybe after Hunt and Donna attend that meeting and Donna helps to suggest that, then that is why he quits. Not sure. He did not seem like the type to be hiding in the bushes and stalking Donna. But it's still strange that he would be watching Gordon at home. Hopefully we'll find out next episode. Maybe Donna will run into him at Comdex?
Flag
I hope so! I've said it before....I think outside drama would be better instead of them fighting against each other.
Flag
Have we seen the last of Bosworth? -
not sure, but I think Cardiff is going to be acquired

Was it too desperate of him to steal the bank funds? -
I think they should have spent more time on this plot, rather than Joe's ex boyfriend and electro play in the last episode

How do you feel about him taking all the blame? -
It was his idea, so I'm fine with it

Is there anyway he can escape jail time? -
yes, The Giant is a huge success, then Joe and co. refuses to go forward unless the charges are dropped and Bosworth is back.
A similar scenario if Cardiff gets taken over because The Giant is a big success

How will this affect them selling “The Giant” at Comdex? -
it won't

Was Hunt showing up a little bit stalker-ish? -
I don't think he was there for Donna

Did Hunt resign from T.I. because of Donna? -
no, I think he is working for IBM

Are you happy that Donna is going to Comdex with the team? -
happy? No. But I do think she will be useful and will end up working for Cardiff

Has Donna made the right choice to “be crazy” with Gordon? -
Right for who?
When she "helped" the team fix the problem with the boards, I thought she would have a big role, instead her character became a trope TV wife - unsatisfied with her life, her eyes wander, she has a dalliance and then remembers why she chose her husband.
I was hoping she would be a driven, worthwhile addition to the team instead of an excuse of filler drama plots.
It depends on how they use her character

Are you getting “crazy” with Gordon? -
He and Bosworth are the only characters that have developed actually. Cameron and Joe have stagnated. I liked the toned down crazy Gordon is this episode though

Were you impressed with his actions? -
Yep, he was really quick on his feet in his solution to the possibility of the feds taking The Giant

How sweet was his decoder ring for Donna? -
A bit convoluted for me, but a nice story

Do you think Bosworth took advantage of Cameron? -
manipulated, yes.
took advantage of? - not really, as he took responsibility

Should she have gone to Joe about the money problem? -
Yes

How “safe” do you think Cameron is? -
I think she is safe, but is line for a rude awakening when it comes to the business side of computer development. Gordon is safer

Was Joe’s reaction to IBM’s portable justified? Or a little baby-ish? -
Both

Are you looking forward to more “team work”? -
I don't think it will last

What will Joe’s Dad reaction be when he find out that Joe is still going to Comdex? -
He'll shit a brick

Will you miss Joe’s car? -
Not really

Do you want more of wacky neighbor? -
I think we'll be seeing more of him, and he'll drop Donna in the shit

Who gets eaten first on the road trip? -
my first reaction is probably a more inappropriate than you'd like, so I'll keep it to myself

Is it me or was the writing in this episode much better than usual? -
You're right - it was a lot more focused

Finally.....what the heck does 214s mean? Any other takers for a meaning? -
no idea
More+
Flag
Ugh I totally replied to this last night and for some reason it didn't post. EEERRRRR technology sometimes.....ANYWAY.....
I like inappropriate things and my mind is now in the gutter! ;) I agree that Donna's character has WAY more potential than the "unsatisfied wife" that she has become. If Hunt wasn't there for Donna, then he is a spy. I like this. It'll be interesting to see how that came about your suspicions are right.
Flag
The conversation they had when she found him outside led me to this train of thought
Flag
Hey, nobody puts Donna in the corner (or a TV trope). ;-) She's been doing great, being both parents to compensate for her absent husband, plus being a kick-ass engineer on those reports and fixes for Hunt.

I agree with most of the rest, plus probably your suspicions about the neighbor & etc.
Flag
Whoah quoting Dirty Dancing and providing detailed tech-splanations, your brain both amazes and frightens me ArkhamNative. Are you transmitting through some conduit that connects our time to the 80's ala Frequency or The Lake House?
Flag
"She's been doing great, being both parents to compensate for her absent husband, plus being a kick-ass engineer on those reports and fixes for Hunt." -
So great she didn't notice her husband was having a nervous breakdown, left her kids with him mid breakdown so she could fail at an attempt to seduce her boss who she allows to exploit her ;-)

I think Donna has been underutilized and could be more of an essential part of the development process - I was surprised when they were hiring programmers that she wasn't even considered for a position, even a part time one
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think the episode title is wrong. Cameron clearly says "He asked if I knew about the 414s, about hacking". This was presaged by the Newsweek cover last week showing Neal Patrick of The 414s, which Boz is suggesting gave him enough information to work out how to hack the Bank's DEC-20's.

Flag
The 414s chose that name because that was their area code. Dallas's area code is 214, so "The 214s" seems like the name the show gave to Bosworth's "hacker group". I don't think it's mentioned in the show. Someone I know mentioned this and I was like, "ooh, clever!"
Flag
Looking in to it more, after falling down the rabbithole a bit, it looks like computer crime wasn't treated very seriously at all in 1983. There was no Federal computer crime law until around 1987, and it appears there was no Texas computer crime law.

I would imagine Boz is facing wire fraud charges, and as a first offence and he didn't personally profit, as a friend of the police, and as a white-collar crime, he could probably plea-bargain to a non-custodial sentence, with restitution. Cameron would face a possible conspiracy charge. Because it boils down to old-fashioned fraud, it would be easy for Cardiff to back-down and say it was an accounting error and that he forgot he authorised the transactions, or the paperwork was misfiled.

Watching the Giant be built has really made me want to find and restore an old Amstrad PPC512, like the one that got me through high school. Actually two, so I can keep one mint and rebuild the other with modern parts like a micro-ATX board, SSD, IPS display, etc.
Flag
Interesting! Thanks!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members