Hancock's Half Hour

BBC (ended 1960)

francklloyd

Hancock's Half Hour Fan Reviews (3)

• If you watch one comedy in your life, make it this one. The granddaddy of the timeless classics, performed by the greatest, and most tragic, comic genius or all time. It's a shame the Americans will never get this humour. They truly don't

This utterly classic show is probably underappreciated here purely because of its age, and therefore the deteriorated quality of the sound and picture, but those aside, this is the forerunner for all that is amazing about British comedy, with Hancock's character predating and influencing everyone from Blackadder and Basil Fawlty to Alan Partridge and Jim Hacker (Yes Minister).

Hancock's own personal genius can never ever be overstated. The master of comic timing, whether through facial experssion or the masterful delivery of Galton and Simpson's flawless scripts.

Such lines as:

"What about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?" - Twelve Angry Men.

"A pint? Why that's very nearly an armful! I'm sorry, I came in here in all good faith to help my country, but I'm not walking round with an empty arm for anybody." - The Blood Donor.

show the sheer quality of the scriptwriting and are permanently quoted in polls of all time memorable comedy quotes, over and above the majority of the newer programmes.

Those who have any doubt about the unsurpassed quality of this show only have to look at how long Hancock's shows ran for. Not counting around 7 radio series and the several "Hancock" series, the 'Half Hour' alone ran for 6 television series. Hancock graced the airwaves for over a decade, was nominated for a BAFTA, was famous for clearing the streets of Britain while his show was on as everyone stayed in to listen to it, (radio prog) and it was the highest rated TV prog of its time.

If it had just been invented recently, I have no doubt whatsoever that it would do the same.