Hangin' with Mr. Cooper

ABC (ended 1997)

Hangin' with Mr. Cooper Fan Reviews (7)

7.9
  • Coop Is Back

You can catch Hanging with Mr. Cooper on Nick at Nite
  • This show is good. I wish that this show would be on TV Land.

7.2
    I like this show. When will they be putting this show on DVD? I know that I didn't see this show until it came on syndication. My satellite provider Dish Network doesn't provide TVOne. I wish that they would get that station this summer and Mr. Cooper was still on it. Because I would like to see the reruns just before they have a DVD release. Or maybe put this show on TV Land, ABC Family, or even The N. I never saw the show when it was on TGIF, but if they can syndicate it on ABC Family, then that would be cool.
  • They don't show re runs of this show no more.

This show is about a house filled with a family that deals with grown up problems and teenager problems and children problems. My favorite character was the girl who guest starred all the time. Her name is kyla pratt she was on the proud family and dr. dolittle 3. I also liked that fat boy character sorry i can't remember his name. I saw the dad on a couple of guest starred stuff. But after that I never seen him again in any thing else, which is pretty sad because he was a decent actor and is pretty funny person.
  • A good series but not as good as some around the same period.

The standup comic Mark Curry played the title character, a former pro basketball player now returned to his hometown of Oakland, California, and working at his old high school as a coach and substitute teacher. Mr Cooper lives with his long-term friend Robin and a vivacious career woman, Vanessa. Although juvenile in many aspects of his life, Cooper was honest enough about wanting sex and didn't dress up his desires in innuendo. The format later changed when Dawnn Lewis left the series and was replaced by Saundra Quaterman as Geneva Lee, Mark's cousin. She in turn brought along her feisty daughter Nicole, enabling the writers to exercise their particular comedic fascination: the interplay between Cooper and smart-mouthed youngsters.

Safe, reliable and steadfastly middle-of-the-road, Hangin' With Mr Cooper struck a chord with viewers and attracted huge and loyal audiences. Curry's comedic sensibilities and standup style may have been the main reason, but the many beautiful (and potent) black women who shared the screen with him also played their part.
  • Cooooooooooooooooooper!

7.4
    Mark Curry is really a funny guy. Although his humor is a lot more laid back and in your face than other comedians, it still works. I thought that the segments of him at school were a lot funnier than those of him at home. That's partially because his costars Geneva and Nicole's characters were very tedious. They reminded me of 2 little gnats on the screen. Tyler, the next door neighbor, Vanessa (Holly Robinson Peete) and Nell Carter as the principal all added to the show. If it weren't for the 2 distracting characters, I would've liked it a lot more.
  • good but went down at the end...

hanging with mr cooper was a cute little show for the 90's but after a while i guess the show started yto go down hill and then it was just a lost show from then on but i think that it should be brought back lets see how it goes once agian...
  • A nice comedy from the 90s that lost steam towards the end of its run.

Hangin' With Mr. Cooper debuted as an interesting comedy with a good cast.

It was much stronger and tolerable when Mark Cooper (Mark Curry) shared his house with roommates Robin Dummars (Dawnn Lewis) and Vanessa Russell (as Holly Robinson).

But when the second season rolled around and Robin was replaced by Mark's cousin and her child - the show seemed less appealing.

It was never a strong competitor but it still warranted a worthy storyline - yet with the addition of a few characters the show seemingly lost a little of its leverage. By the time the cast and crew decided to call it quits, the fat lady had been singing for quite some time.