Hannah Montana Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2011)

Walt Disney Company is being sued for Hannah Montana

XRoseThornX

[1]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 1

Has anybody heard this news?

http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/08/26/disney-channel-show-hannah-montana-sued/
    http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=fbb0caac-e257-4f07-9fa7-0ca5ee357387
    http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN2440535620070824
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/24/AR2007082400477.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/entertainmentnews

I was hoping there was already a topic for this so I could express my anger over it, so I decided to make it myself.
    Anywho, does anyone else think this is really dumb? I mean, why wait so long to sue over a show that was yours?
    If you ask me, it's all for the profit that Hannah Montana has received.
    Then again, knowing my luck, I'm wrong and these words can be used against me later to make me look like an idiot
    But still...
    What do you guys think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bookworm9328

[2]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 18
    I was actually thinking the same thing. Why did this guy wait until now to sue when he had the chance ever since the show started last year? I was thinking 'Its probably because now it's a really popular show'. A lot of TV shows use the same ideas and they're not getting sued. Then again, we don't know everything, so we could be wrong.

umutruffle

[3]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 14
    I think its really stupid for leaving it so late, and stupid overall!!

VmKr0x

[4]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 3

do you think Hannah Montana will get cancelled now?

redsox777

[5]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 4
    no i dont think hed have it cancelled. the guy just might demand a large portion of the profits.

tipsy416

[6]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 2
    That is totally bogus, the show is about a year old now, and the guy is just now getting it to the news that it was his idea??? What a total jerk!

rl564411

[7]Aug 26, 2007
    tipsy416 wrote:
    That is totally bogus, the show is about a year old now, and the guy is just now getting it to the news that it was his idea??? What a total jerk!

true!

XRoseThornX

[8]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    I considered, myself, whether or not Hannah Montana would be cancelled because of this, but honestly, since it's Disney's most popular show, they'll probably fight for it tooth and nail.
    It would probably be about as outlandish as if Paramount Pictures, who produced the Grease movie, went and sued Disney for High School Musical, saying it was similar to the Grease story line.
    High School Musical 2 received the largest audience for any premiere on basic cable ever. Disney's not just gonna let that slide.
    And they won't for Hannah Montana, either.
    Honestly, I think he's doing this because the show is so popular now.
    He probably saw the premiere, thought "Hmm...that's slightly similar, whatever." and then after a year realized "Wow, this thing is huge! Miley Cyrus has the top-selling album in America now, because of this! Maybe I can get away with this..."
    At the most, the show might be put on hiatus due to controversy.
    You can't sue Disney, though.
    You'll never get away with it.
    Anybody remember the whole "The Lion King/Kimba the White Lion" controversy?
    It's still being debated today because Tezuka never sued.
    Disney is a god, there's no way you can sue them and live to tell the tale
    Edited on 08/26/2007 9:37pm

Prompter

[9]Aug 26, 2007

It is weird that the guy waited so long. But from what I hear about Disney, I wouldn't put it past them to steal some one's idea.

But even if it's true, the show won't be cancelled. First the guy has to win his lawsuit. And if he does, he would want the show to go on making money so he could share in more profits. Having it cancelled wouldn't do him any good.

GGLover4ever

[10]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think this is a load of crap! It's been over a year since the show started and NOW he wants the credit? Besides, it was almost 5 years between this pitch and the creation of Hannah Montana! This guy needs to realize that he's NEVER gonna win this lawsuit against DISNEY, and just stop this lawsuit!!!

rl564411

[11]Aug 27, 2007
    It sounds like the guy just wants money!

VmKr0x

[12]Aug 27, 2007

Most of you are wondering why he didn't sue disney a year ago. My friend thought of a reason which I totally agree to. About a year ago, Hannah Montana wasn't AS popular as it is now a day. So the guy waited till now, so that he would get more money rather than suing a year ago when profits weren't as high yet.

Talk about greedy huh?

Prompter

[13]Aug 27, 2007
    VmKr0x wrote:

Most of you are wondering why he didn't sue disney a year ago. My friend thought of a reason which I totally agree to. About a year ago, Hannah Montana wasn't AS popular as it is now a day. So the guy waited till now, so that he would get more money rather than suing a year ago when profits weren't as high yet.

Talk about greedy huh?

But there was no way to know if the show would be more successful or be cancelled or whatever in the second season. It was plenty successful in the first season to sue over. And the sooner the lawsuit was filed, the more credible it would have been. So I have trouble buying this theory.

If Disney stole my idea, I'd file a lawsuit the minute I heard they were planning to launch a show that was suspiciously similar to it.

rosalyn100

[14]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 8
    omg! i was totally sad when i found out that disney was being sued im like omg! could this be the end of hannah montana?!?!?!?! and im now worried of this issue because if it gets cancelled not only will it be one of my other shows that got cancelled but it will also be another cancelled show for billy ray and if it gets cancelled i will proably never watch tv again cuz i think im back luck anyways i hope im wrong and it wont be cancelled!

bookworm9328

[15]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 18
    VmKr0x wrote:

Talk about greedy huh?

That's what my friend said when we were talking about this the other day. And I agree with the person who said the guy thought it was similar and now thinks he can sue. Its very stupid. Disney is one of those companys where if you sue them, you'll NEVER win. Its Disnet; one of the most famous, powerful, and possiblely richest cable companies. You'll not going to win.

DisneyFan54

[16]Aug 28, 2007
    that is the stupidest thing i ever heard of!!!!! did he JUST find out about the show being a hit

sfviewer

[17]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 27
    how come movies or tv shows that become flops never get sued, it's always the ones that become hits that get sued.
    Edited on 08/30/2007 3:57am

jpenny23

[18]Aug 28, 2007
    sfviewer wrote:
    how come movies or tv shows that become flops never get sued, it's always the ones that become hits are the ones that get sued.

probably because people just want to make money..and they can't make money off of things that didn't make any profits..

juan137946

[19]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 13
    they probably want attention

possible234

[20]Aug 28, 2007

you are totlaly right

that is so wrong that the sue disney beacause of Hannah Montana. It is not their fault it is so popular. Thanks for bringing that up cause i would of never known. Thanks i hope they do something about it.