Hannah Montana Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2011)

Walt Disney Company is being sued for Hannah Montana

leodonmikeraph

[21]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 14
    Thats really dumb
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rosalyn100

[22]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 8

can hannah montana be cancelled if they go on with the suing???

wildchild213

[23]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    what is this guy sueing for????????????????????????????????????

lulume26

[24]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 20
    rosalyn100 wrote:

can hannah montana be cancelled if they go on with the suing???

no they will not cancelled it the guy in it for the money if there not more show then there no more money

33matthewfan

[25]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 9
    You guys, it takes a while to make a case. A year is actually a very short time for a TV show to run. So just get over it. The guy probably did do it for money, but there is no way disney is going to lose. And yes he may be a jerk, but people and companies get sued. That's life. Disney probably gets sued a lot anyway, but I haven't heard of a case where they lost. So calm down. Nothing is goign to happen to HM. *shrugs*

girl-next-door

[26]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    ok, thats is just so stupid! seriously.

sfviewer

[27]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 27

this is not the first time that a show got sued, after the courts examined the case, they couldn't find any evidence that the show was deliberately ripped off from another guy's idea.

sweater_dance

[28]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 1
    Hey everyone, don't worry about this one bit. People sue Disney all the time. Most recently that I can remember, a guy sued Pirates of the Caribbean saying that they stole his names for the characters and the basic plotlines. Disney has some of the best attorneys, and I'm sure they'll hold up fine in court. Even if they don't, the show won't be cancelled.

PrinceZukoLover

[29]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 11

I hate to break it to everyone but recently in an issue of Teen Magazine they stated that the case was almost over, and the jury is leaning towards Hannah Montana being cancelled at the end of season two.

Apparently Disney stole the idea from a man, who sent their idea to Disney, and shortly after they rejected his idea. However soon afterwards they started Hannah Montana. This is more serious then High School Musical and Grease, because Disney literally stole and copyrighted the idea of this young man.

This is why it is a possibility that Hannah Montana can and might possibly be cancelled.

tjspinfan

[30]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    PrinceZukoLover wrote:

I hate to break it to everyone but recently in an issue of Teen Magazine they stated that the case was almost over, and the jury is leaning towards Hannah Montana being cancelled at the end of season two.

Apparently Disney stole the idea from a man, who sent their idea to Disney, and shortly after they rejected his idea. However soon afterwards they started Hannah Montana. This is more serious then High School Musical and Grease, because Disney literally stole and copyrighted the idea of this young man.

This is why it is a possibility that Hannah Montana can and might possibly be cancelled.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holiday31

[31]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 2
    Funny how this reminds me of a guy who sued one of my favorite bands for copyright infringement, saying that he wrote the song in the early 1990's.

Who knows what's going to happen? Maybe they did steal it, maybe the guy just wants attention. We'll just have to wait and see.

rl564411

[32]Aug 31, 2007
    • level: 3
    tjspinfan wrote:
    PrinceZukoLover wrote:

...are you serious! If that is true, I am going to be heart broken!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAVY10

[33]Aug 31, 2007
    • level: 8

Wasn't there a similar incident involving someone from Texas suing pertaining to High School Musical last year? I think judging from what little I've heard about the person filing the suit (I think Wikipedia said he was a former Smothers Brothers writer), there may be enough for this thing to actually head to court.

That said, I don't think it will be cancelled unless the Supreme Court gets involved, and believe me, they have a lot of better things to do.

P.S.: I was of the opinion that a possible inspiration was the episode "Stevie" from one of the last episodes of Good Morning, Miss Bliss (predecessor to Saved by the Bell and I believe where one of the show's creators, Michael Poryes, got his start), where the character Colleen (played by Suzanne Tara) was doubling as "Tiffany"-inspired singer Stevie (though she was about to retire to head to Notre Dame)

Edited on 08/31/2007 7:13am

DisneyFreak33

[34]Aug 31, 2007
    • level: 21

rl564411 wrote:
    It sounds like the guy just wants money!

that's exactly what I think too,I bet he just made the whole thing up. greedygreedygreedy jerk.

PrinceZukoLover

[35]Aug 31, 2007
    • level: 11

He is not the reason why he waited so long is he sent episode scripts to the creators of Disney as well, along with the plot-line. He had to wait for all the episodes he had scripts of and it was smart of him to do this. He planned it quite nicely, the only thing that seems odd to me is that Disney would go this shallow and steal someone idea, they are not a struggling company.

But I don't know, all I know is this guy, is winning the case.

Prompter

[36]Sep 1, 2007
    DisneyFreak33 wrote:

rl564411 wrote:

that's exactly what I think too,I bet he just made the whole thing up. greedygreedygreedy jerk.

Of course he wants money. That's why anyone becomes a professional writer. Are all writer's greedy then? What about Disney. They produce Hannah Montana to make money. If they really did steal the idea of a writer trying to make a living, then who are the real greedy jerks?

And no one's dumb enough to charge Disney with stealing copyrighted material without producing any evidence. That would be a waste of time and money. You can't just make something up and win a court case. You have to prove it. The guy obviously must feel he's been wronged. It's up to a judge or a jury to decide if the idea he pitched to Disney is close enough to Hannah Montana to be a violation of the law.

Since none of us know any of the facts yet, I think it's too early to jump to conclusions.

leyton4ever

[37]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 10
    Ok first of all i just want to say the first time i heard anything about this guy suing disney was on here. how come its not on the news or anything? i never hear anything about it and considering how big disney is and how popular hannah montana is i think it would be all over the news...anyways my mom and iwere talking about this the other day and we dont think the show is going to be cancelled. not all magazines are 100% so you cant believe teen magazine or anything like that...but my mom also brought up a good point when she said that no one, not even disney is stupid enough to steal someones ideas w/o covering their butt. she thinks that maybe the guys ideas were similar but it wasnt exactly the same and i agree with this...I truly believe that disney would never steal someones ideas and not expect someone to say something about it. I think he saw the show and realized it was similar to what he pitched to disney, and wanted to hone in on some money. But i think everyone on here is making this out to be bigger than it really is.

minerva73

[38]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 24
    sfviewer wrote:

this is not the first time that a show got sued, after the courts examined the case, they couldn't find any evidence that the show was deliberately ripped off from another guy's idea.

True. Like the guy whoclaimed to make SpongeBob didn't get close to suing Nickelodeon or even getting SpongeBob off the air. So I doubt that this will work either. He's just wasting his time.

Prompter wrote:
    DisneyFreak33 wrote:

rl564411 wrote:

Of course he wants money. That's why anyone becomes a professional writer. Are all writer's greedy then? What about Disney. They produce Hannah Montana to make money. If they really did steal the idea of a writer trying to make a living, then who are the real greedy jerks?

And no one's dumb enough to charge Disney with stealing copyrighted material without producing any evidence. That would be a waste of time and money. You can't just make something up and win a court case. You have to prove it. The guy obviously must feel he's been wronged. It's up to a judge or a jury to decide if the idea he pitched to Disney is close enough to Hannah Montana to be a violation of the law.

Since none of us know any of the facts yet, I think it's too early to jump to conclusions.

He might think that, but I remember seeing in the ending credits that if anything in the episodes seemed like that of something in real life, it wasn't done on purpose but merely a coincidence.

Edited on 09/01/2007 4:44pm

Prompter

[39]Sep 2, 2007
    DisneyFreak33 wrote:

He might think that, but I remember seeing in the ending credits that if anything in the episodes seemed like that of something in real life, it wasn't done on purpose but merely a coincidence.

Most TV shows and movies have that disclaimer at the end to protect against people claiming that the story was based on their life. That's not what this lawsuit is about. It's about a writer (Buddy Sheffield) claiming his idea was stolen.

Would Disney ever do such a thing? You have to remember that the company is made up of people constantly trying to prove they deserve the big salaries they get paid. If some one hasn't had a success in a while, they might be tempted to take an idea they heard in a private pitch session and alter it enough so that they probably won't be accused of stealing it.

In the case of HM, I'm not even sure the production company, It' A Laugh Productions, is owned by Disney. They might just sell the show to Disney Channel.

The other possibility is that sometimes two people come up with the same idea at the same time, which is similar to the coincidence thing you mentioned. In that case, Disney or whoever, might have to show dated material related to HM that predates the session where Sheffield pitched his idea.

Btw, wikipedia says the show was based on an episode of TSR (also produced by It's a Laugh Prod.) called Goin' Hollywood which was supposed to serve as the pilot for what eventually became HM.

Edited on 09/02/2007 10:06pm
    Edited 4 total times.