Hannah Montana Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2011)

Walt Disney Company is being sued for Hannah Montana

Life_Flamingo

[41]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    Why can't we all be friends. Maybe there will be a Hannah Montana spin-off like that. Just being sued... wow.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DisneyFreak33

[42]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 21
    Prompter wrote:
    DisneyFreak33 wrote:

He might think that, but I remember seeing in the ending credits that if anything in the episodes seemed like that of something in real life, it wasn't done on purpose but merely a coincidence.

Most TV shows and movies have that disclaimer at the end to protect against people claiming that the story was based on their life. That's not what this lawsuit is about. It's about a writer (Buddy Sheffield) claiming his idea was stolen.

Would Disney ever do such a thing? You have to remember that the company is made up of people constantly trying to prove they deserve the big salaries they get paid. If some one hasn't had a success in a while, they might be tempted to take an idea they heard in a private pitch session and alter it enough so that they probably won't be accused of stealing it.

In the case of HM, I'm not even sure the production company, It' A Laugh Productions, is owned by Disney. They might just sell the show to Disney Channel.

The other possibility is that sometimes two people come up with the same idea at the same time, which is similar to the coincidence thing you mentioned. In that case, Disney or whoever, might have to show dated material related to HM that predates the session where Sheffield pitched his idea.

Btw, wikipedia says the show was based on an episode of TSR (also produced by It's a Laugh Prod.) episode called Goin' Hollywood which was supposed to serve as the pilot for what eventually became HM.

umm I agree with alot of the stuff you said but I did not write this

He might think that, but I remember seeing in the ending credits that if anything in the episodes seemed like that of something in real life, it wasn't done on purpose but merely a coincidence.

and I'm not lying I don't even really know what that means. I don't who didbut I sure wasn't me..thats a little scary.

Prompter

[43]Sep 2, 2007
    • level: 4
    DisneyFreak33 wrote:
    Prompter wrote:
    DisneyFreak33 wrote:

Most TV shows and movies have that disclaimer at the end to protect against people claiming that the story was based on their life. That's not what this lawsuit is about. It's about a writer (Buddy Sheffield) claiming his idea was stolen.

Would Disney ever do such a thing? You have to remember that the company is made up of people constantly trying to prove they deserve the big salaries they get paid. If some one hasn't had a success in a while, they might be tempted to take an idea they heard in a private pitch session and alter it enough so that they probably won't be accused of stealing it.

In the case of HM, I'm not even sure the production company, It' A Laugh Productions, is owned by Disney. They might just sell the show to Disney Channel.

The other possibility is that sometimes two people come up with the same idea at the same time, which is similar to the coincidence thing you mentioned. In that case, Disney or whoever, might have to show dated material related to HM that predates the session where Sheffield pitched his idea.

Btw, wikipedia says the show was based on an episode of TSR (also produced by It's a Laugh Prod.) episode called Goin' Hollywood which was supposed to serve as the pilot for what eventually became HM.

umm I agree with alot of the stuff you said but I did not write this

and I'm not lying I don't even really know what that means. I don't who didbut I sure wasn't me..thats a little scary.

Sorry, it was minerv73 who wrote it. I messed up when I copied the original posting.

Smilesalot11

[44]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    I hope Not!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Help!

VmKr0x

[45]Sep 7, 2007
    • level: 3
    leyton4ever wrote:
    Ok first of all i just want to say the first time i heard anything about this guy suing disney was on here. how come its not on the news or anything? i never hear anything about it and considering how big disney is and how popular hannah montana is i think it would be all over the news...anyways my mom and iwere talking about this the other day and we dont think the show is going to be cancelled. not all magazines are 100% so you cant believe teen magazine or anything like that...but my mom also brought up a good point when she said that no one, not even disney is stupid enough to steal someones ideas w/o covering their butt. she thinks that maybe the guys ideas were similar but it wasnt exactly the same and i agree with this...I truly believe that disney would never steal someones ideas and not expect someone to say something about it. I think he saw the show and realized it was similar to what he pitched to disney, and wanted to hone in on some money. But i think everyone on here is making this out to be bigger than it really is.

cuz 1. not EVERYTHING is on the news.. mainly in magazines and stuff. and 2. theres a couple of article links in the very first post you can refer to. So there is proof that Hannah Montana is getting sued.

Unless all those article links are lying. which I doubt.

leanna890

[46]Sep 7, 2007
    • level: 5
    are they still going to let her sing she has a good voice

Prompter

[47]Sep 8, 2007

leanna890 wrote:
    are they still going to let her sing she has a good voice

No. They will put hand cuffs on her vocal cords and do an episode about it called Cuffs will keep Hannah from Singing. Jk I've never heard of someone being sued into not singing.

Edited on 09/08/2007 5:52pm

RaNdOmRuLeR016

[49]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 13

correct me if i'm wrong...but if this guy was really THAT upset about this wouldn't he have sued when the show first started? its ridiculous that he's waiting until now. (thats just my opinion i dunno if anyone agrees with me...just thought i'd get my thoughts on this out there)

Prompter

[51]Sep 15, 2007
    RaNdOmRuLeR016 wrote:

correct me if i'm wrong...but if this guy was really THAT upset about this wouldn't he have sued when the show first started? its ridiculous that he's waiting until now. (thats just my opinion i dunno if anyone agrees with me...just thought i'd get my thoughts on this out there)

It may have taken some time to get all the facts together to make the case. If you go up against Disney, you want all your facts straight.

Btw, people have said you can't win against a company as big as Disney. If the case goes to a jury trial, the jury decides who's right and who's wrong. And jurys have ruled against big corporations in favor of the little guy many times before.

brunettedudette

[52]Sep 15, 2007
    • level: 5
    This stinks... even if the show does end up being sued, it can't be cancelled! This is the longest I've stuck with one TV show!

WAVY10

[54]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 8
    Sounds doubtful now, as we've heard ZILCH about it since the suit was first announced.

minndak10

[55]Sep 17, 2007
    I hope it won't be cabcelled I would cry even if they do get sued just pay the money and keep making it! Or give him half money per episode and CD and game

Prompter

[57]Sep 18, 2007

WAVY10 wrote:
    Sounds doubtful now, as we've heard ZILCH about it since the suit was first announced.

Lawsuits take time.

iskabibble07

[58]Sep 18, 2007
    Disney is going to ride this cash cow for as long as they can. Nobody wants the show to be canceled. They will either shut the lawsuit down or settle it before it gets any more press. Disney is VERY GOOD at keeping scandel quiet.

WAVY10

[59]Sep 19, 2007
    • level: 8
    iskabibble07 wrote:
    Disney is going to ride this cash cow for as long as they can. Nobody wants the show to be canceled. They will either shut the lawsuit down or settle it before it gets any more press. Disney is VERY GOOD at keeping scandel quiet.

What do you name for Exhibit A?