Hannah Montana Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2011)

Walt Disney Company is being sued for Hannah Montana

ger5632

[101]Aug 9, 2008
    • level: 24
    Prompter wrote:

Yet another lawsuit against Disney over Hannah Montana.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/music/concerts/orl-disney2008may20,0,1245546.story

Every one wants a piece of this show.

(Madagascar 2 comes out in November)

i didnt bother reading. can someone summorise it for me?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Prompter

[102]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 4
    ger5632 wrote:
    Prompter wrote:

Yet another lawsuit against Disney over Hannah Montana.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/music/concerts/orl-disney2008may20,0,1245546.story

Every one wants a piece of this show.

(Madagascar 2 comes out in November)

i didnt bother reading. can someone summorise it for me?

There's a company called Glamour Shots that has photo studios in malls. Disney is marketing a Hannah Montana related candy called Glamour Shots. The photo studio company is suing Disney over trademark infringement.

victorjw26

[104]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    Wow! A lot of lawsuits going on about this show. I guess everybody wants a piece of its money.
    Edited on 08/12/2008 1:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Prompter

[105]Oct 25, 2008

Toph_Girl250 wrote:
    I never managed to see the Movie: The Wild but i think i saw the previews for it, both Madagascar and the Wild had Lions in them right? (Unless i am thinking of a different movie.) Disney themselves created The Wild? Well, i'd like to say that i have seen Madagascar, and in my opinion, Madagascar is a heck of a whole lot better Movie than the previews i saw for The Wild. Madagascar is one of my most favorite movies of all time too.

Yes, Disney basically copied Madagascar with their movie The Wild and tried to get it out first so it would appear that Dream Works had copied them. Fortunately, in this case justice was served and The Wild bombed while Madagascar boomed. Safe to say that Disney probably won't come out with a sequel. M2 on the other hand will do quite well, I predict. (I saw a sneak preview the other night. If you're a fan of the original, you won't be dissappointed).

gamer_boy997

[110]Dec 29, 2009

Sorry for possibly changing the topic so suddenly, but I read the first couple pages of this topic, and I would like to say something to the people who said stuff like, "This is stupid! The show has been out for a year and a half!":

Honestly, we don't know if he has watched or even KNOWN about the show when it began, and even if it did, I don't think jumping up right at it would be a good idea. If I saw Disney using a similar version of one of my ideas that they are giving me no credit for, I wouldn't sue them right away. I would watch a few episodes and see if the show fits my idea. I would then think about whether or not stepping up is a good idea. Along with that, some good preperation doesn't hurt.

So all in all, even if the guy DOES want money or is just being a jerk, waiting about a year and a half isn't an excuse for saying he is stupid. Like I said above, thinking about whether or not they're actually stealing his idea and whether or not he should do this can take that long.

TrickMeNot

[111]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 54
    "Hannah Montana" creators Barry O'Brien and Richard Correll are now suing Walt Disney Pictures, ABC Cable Networks Group, Disney Channel, producers Bigwood Films, Fuss Budget Films, Silver Creek Pictures and It's a Laugh Productions for breach of contract, accounting and wrongful termination.

The court papers say that Mr. O'Brien and Mr. Correll requested an accounting audit after they were denied their 7.5 percent bonuses in June of 2008. Disney and It's a Laugh agreed that they right to see the financial records for the series, but have repeatedly refused to comply with their demands. Mr. O'Brien and Mr. Correll brought this to the attention of the Writers Guild of America and proceeded to with a "Producers Arbitration Tribunal". In November of 2009, Mr. Correll was fired from his job as a director for "Hannah Montana" (as well as several other series he was working on for Disney) and told that they would no longer need him for any of their future projects. Mr. Correll believes that Disney and It's a Laugh blacklisted him because he had testified to the WGA about Disney about his bonus. He and Mr. O'Brien are seeking at least $5 million in damages, court and lawyer fees, their 7.5 percent bonuses and an independent audit of account books for "Hannah Montana".

Also, creator Michael Poryes is still in the process of suing Disney for his portion of the profits from "Hannah Montana" books and merchandise as well as his share of the money from "Hannah Montana: The Movie".

loey12886

[112]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 10
    XRoseThornX wrote:
    but honestly, since it's Disney's most popular show

as I agree this is Disney's most popular show, the actual most popular show is TSL and TSLOD, it has the highest viewers on the Disney channel

loey12886

[114]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 10
    TrickMeNot wrote:
    "Hannah Montana" creators Barry O'Brien and Richard Correll are now suing Walt Disney Pictures, ABC Cable Networks Group, Disney Channel, producers Bigwood Films, Fuss Budget Films, Silver Creek Pictures and It's a Laugh Productions for breach of contract, accounting and wrongful termination.

The court papers say that Mr. O'Brien and Mr. Correll requested an accounting audit after they were denied their 7.5 percent bonuses in June of 2008. Disney and It's a Laugh agreed that they right to see the financial records for the series, but have repeatedly refused to comply with their demands. Mr. O'Brien and Mr. Correll brought this to the attention of the Writers Guild of America and proceeded to with a "Producers Arbitration Tribunal". In November of 2009, Mr. Correll was fired from his job as a director for "Hannah Montana" (as well as several other series he was working on for Disney) and told that they would no longer need him for any of their future projects. Mr. Correll believes that Disney and It's a Laugh blacklisted him because he had testified to the WGA about Disney about his bonus. He and Mr. O'Brien are seeking at least $5 million in damages, court and lawyer fees, their 7.5 percent bonuses and an independent audit of account books for "Hannah Montana".

Also, creator Michael Poryes is still in the process of suing Disney for his portion of the profits from "Hannah Montana" books and merchandise as well as his share of the money from "Hannah Montana: The Movie".

boy I wonder what Miley thinks of all of this, I wonder what's going to Happen to HM, if this keeps happening they might not have another season

Prompter

[115]Apr 12, 2010

While Disneyland may be "The happiest place on earth", Disney Channel doesn't seem to be a very happy place to work. This makes the original lawsuitby the man who claimed that Disney stole his idea more plausible.