Hannah Montana

I Honestly Love You (No, Not You)

Aired Sunday 7:30 PM Jul 26, 2009 on Disney Channel

7.3
  • Hanna has a skiing accident and while in a medicated sleep overhears Oliver proclaiming his love for her. Miley tries to help Lilly deal with potentially losing Oliver.

How, do you review an episode that you both love but still had all kinds of nitpicky problems with?

I mean I love the concept of this episode. It is very unique. It addresses that potential other relationship which many people had thought was going to happen, but probably won't the way the season has been progressing along.

It further addresses the Lilly/Oliver relationship which I do find cute, but at the same time the lack of build to the relationship this season has really cut the meaningfulness of what this episode could have been. I love that they put a little bit of money into it, with the cute double Miley projection in the hospital room.

The death by chocolate and pie bit is officially dead. Disney is not allowed to use this bit ever again. They use this in every single show they have way too many times. I'm sorry, the side connection to an innocent way to address drugs is annoying already. I think kids are a lot smarter than Disney wants to give them credit for.

When did this episode take place? In He Could be the One, Mike and Lola were pretending not to be in a relationship during their alter-ego stage and here it's the opposite. In the former episode Miley chose Jake and in this one, you get the impression that Miley is back on the market. Or, she really is a player. Yet...

Yet, at the same time as she seems to be a player, she seems to be out of the game as she eyes potential boyfriends, you can kind of notice the absence of a current boyfriend. And the joke about Miley being pretty because her father says, so I'm not sure it works, because on paper it's funny, but she really is pretty. Yet, they're playing her off as humble.

But, I did love the Miley interactions with the main characters. They were all well done. And the new dynamic with the Lilly and Oliver relationship has helped the trio immensely to keep things fresh now into the tail end of season 3.

Don't get me wrong I still think this was a pretty good episode, but it had a lot of clunky parts that should have been smoothed over. Right down to the comical Miley fall down the mountain. I mean she could have really been hurt. I'm not sure it should be joked about that way. Just because the show is a comedy, does not mean you can't have real emotion on a show too. That has been a major issue for me this season, that the writers have not been able to resolve as of yet. Still the rest of the episode was well done, and if you notice some of the jokes clicked and some of the jokes like the death by pie bit deserved to die but the reason why this ended up being a really good episode was because of the real genuine emotion between Lilly/Oliver/Miley in the latter half of the episode. That saved this episode. I just wish the writers would throw their rubber chickens away for a second and notice that too. I'm just saying!