Hannah Montana

Papa's Got a Brand New Friend

Aired Sunday 7:30 PM Mar 08, 2009 on Disney Channel

6.4
  • Hanna's dance choreographer gets hurt and gets replaced by Nana who befriends her father while being a pushy diva to Hanna and her dancing crew.

First before I get into the review I just want to mention this episode was definitely written with an intention to be aired earlier in the season. Oliver had been acting like he didn't have a girlfriend in previous episodes so you knew a breakup was coming or rather it had already happened.

I felt the episode was reasonably funny. The dictionary joke was horrible (Miley isn't that stupid even if you want to suspend the disbelief for a joke), but the others weren't too bad.

Hanna was definitely out of character. And I know they did it for joke purposes, but I'm not sure anyone believes she was going to blow off someone with casts on every part of her body but her eyelids, but I think that is the direction this show wants to go. That Hanna is a total diva and Miley is the real person underneath it all. But I do think there are limits and they definitely went a little bit overboard but this show is supposed to be a comedy first and they are going to exaggerate things quite a bit for that very purpose.

I do think the show has kind of gotten sidetracked from it's true purpose. They need to get Miley in school more and get away from the Hanna parts. And Lilly always needs a prominent role. She might be Miley's sidekick, but she really is nothing less than a full blooded equal co-star on this show. With the comedy timing to back it up.

It really is hard to judge if the season is getting better or worse when episodes are obviously out of order but you definitely can say it's going to take a lot more than this one to get back to the quality of seasons 1 and 2. Luckily there is a little show after this one that is so bad that it makes these episodes look like solid 10's. I'm not going to mention Demi names, but they know who they are.