A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)
In case you doubt my title, *SPOILERS* ensue.

So, in the emotional fallout of "Takiawase" (Episode 2.4) and the almost certain death of Beverly Katz, I went scavenging for morsels of Hannibal news to ease my despair, and I came across NBC's description of Episode 2.6 "Futamono".

TV.com and other sites print most of it, but (probably wisely) leave out the last very, very spoiler-y final statement:

When a city councilman's body is found in a parking lot, intertwined with a tree, the artistry and missing organs suggest the work of the Chesapeake Ripper. Jack and the team race against time to catch the Ripper while he's still on his killing spree. When Will suggests the possibility that the Ripper is filling his pantry with the victims' organs, Jack crashes Hannibal Lecter's dinner party to collect evidence and test the meat for human DNA. Jack's growing suspicions drive Alana even closer to Hannibal, believing he is the victim of a witch hunt. Meanwhile, clues from the tree man help the BAU zero in on a location they believe the Ripper used. There they discover the most shocking revelation of Jack Crawford's career: Miriam Lass alive.

Now, we all know that as a show Hannibal has been very liberal with what in any other show would be unequivocal spoilers, routinely revealing major plot points in descriptions, previews (none more so than this week's unmasking of the courtroom copycat), and promotional announcements in interviews and on social media. And, quite frankly, with little warning. Add to that the built-in spoilers intrinsic to their faithfulness to the Harris source material, and Hannibal is much less a show about what happens than it is how it happens. And it still manages to be a taut thriller that launches me on an emotional rollercoaster every week! So, I can hardly hold its spoilers against it.

And, I suppose, as it is so often wont to do, Hannibal hints early on that Lass, Jack Crawford's FBI trainee presumably killed by Lecter two years ago whose severed arm was discovered last season, could actually still be alive. In the conversation between Jack and Hannibal immediately following the discovery of Lass's arm in "Entrée" (Episode 1.6)—also on the heels of realizing that his wife is dying of cancer—prods this possibility. While it ultimately serves to dissipate the likelihood of her survival, it repeatedly teases it, raising again and again the possibility as it chips away at Jack's (and our) hope.
"What would be the benefit of making you believe your trainee was still alive?"
"Hope. The Ripper wanted to cloud my judgment with hope."
"It can sometimes be brave to allow yourself hope."
"Not the false kind."
This exchange later includes a startling admission, in a conversation that weirdly alternates and somewhat confuses Lass with Crawford's wife Bella: "Don't give up hope for your wife. Not yet.... I'm sorry about your wife, Jack. I truly am. I believe the world is a better place with her in it. I am sorry about your trainee." Hannibal doesn't often express regret, even if it is only for the circumstances that force his hand, and, I believe, it's an important detail common to some other victims.

The possibility that Miriam Lass is still alive raises the question of other Hannibal kills whose bodies have not been found, particularly those for whom Hannibal seemed to show admiration: Lass, of course; Abigail Hobbs; and perhaps now Beverly Katz.

We never see Abigail die. After realizing who Hannibal is and what he is responsible for in the final moments of "Relevés" (Episode 1.12), Abigail asks as Hannibal strokes her cheek, "Are you going to kill me?" Hannibal responds without answering, "I am so sorry, Abigail. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you in this life." The blood-soaked floor in "Savoureaux" (Episode 1.13) would make her survival unlikely, but in contrast to the ear mailed to Will in the courthouse, hers was taken from a living body. Like Lass, Abigail's "death" breaks the Ripper's pattern of theatricality and humiliation. And, of course, though Harris's novels cannot be taken as immutable scripture, as of Red Dragon Abigail Hobbs is still alive.

Lastly—and with full recognition that, like Jack, I may just really want Beverly to still be alive and am crippled with false hope—Beverly has undoubtedly earned Hannibal's respect. Since her presumed demise after—like both Miriam Lass and Abigail Hobbs—uncovering Lecter as a serial killer comes in the final moments of the most recent episode ("Takiawase," Episode 2.4), we cannot yet know whether her body will be found or how Hannibal will respond to her death/disappearance. However, given their similarities, I would suspect that if Miriam and Abigail share similar fates, Beverly would join them.

Two other possibly relevant *spoiler*-y notes: (1) Based on descriptions of Episode 2.5 ("Mukozuke"), it seems that Dr. Abel Gideon, who I had assumed died from the gunshot he received at Will Graham's hands, will be returning next week. Death, and presumed death, is a little more fluid in Hannibal than it often is. (2) Fuller has been adamant all season about the terrible fates of three characters we all love, but, to my knowledge at least, he has never announced the deaths of three characters. In a series as rife with horrors and torture and humiliation as Hannibal has proven itself to be, I believe those are important distinctions.

So, what you do you think? Also, how do you feel generally about Hannibal's spoilers?

poll
Comments (27)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 24, 2014
I posted this on the episode 3 review after watching the show. I had blacked it out so that you had to highlight it to read it but since this is a spoiler thread I don't have to black out my guesses (some have changed since seeing episode 4 and the preview of episode 5--more on that later):

1. booby trapped body: not done by hannibal since they weren't friends
  • asylum worker who gave Will that meal that prompted his first recalled memory. What better place for a fan of a serial killer to work then a hospital for the criminally insane
  • abel gideon: is he really dead
  • lawyer: just because he had access to sykes (?) and he had such fabulous lines
  • dolarhyde: I don't think so but it would be cool (imagine if he is a fan of Will and Will, angered over Beverly's death (sorry but I think she is going to die soon), sends him around to kill Hannibal. Obviously it doesn't work but it would cool when we get to the Red Dragon part of the story, Hannibal can tell Will "remember when you sent that killer after me, well guess what…"
2. Judge
  • Hannibal: the judge dissed him and the kill had a dramatic touch to it; also Hannibal likes to mimic other serial killers so he mimicked the kill of the booby trapped house victim
  • all the rest I have listed above
More+
Flag
Mar 25, 2014
The courtroom killer: I'm certain about the Baltimore State Hospital employee. I—and I believe Noel refers to it as well—noticed Jonathan Tucker right away in Episode 1. He's far too prominent an actor to play just to play basically an extra. (I've known him at least since The Black Donnellys.) I'm also confident he's responsible for both bodies, since they share the same M.O. and apparent motivation.

As you mention, Beverly's done for. So sad, but there it is.

As for Red Dragon, Fuller has always planned that the fourth season of Hannibal, should it (and we) be fortunate enough to get that far, would be the story of the "Tooth Fairy," Francis Dolarhyde. However, I'm pretty sure—and maybe Fuller has confirmed it somewhere—that the very first murder scene in the first episode of last season was Dolarhyde, particularly the need for the victims to see what was happening.
Flag
Mar 25, 2014
The Dolarhyde theory would be cool. I don't know if Fuller confirmed it or not. I can totally see Will, when season 4 (hopefully) comes around, doing his thing over the bodies of a family recently killed and saying something like: "You are familiar. I've seen your work before."
Flag
Mar 25, 2014
right

I picked the asylum worker first because he made the most sense logically. I don't know the actor.

I put Dolarhyde last because I didn't think it was him but wanted to put forth how I would like it to play out: Will sends an admirer who is a killer after Hannibal and Hannibal does the same later to Will with the same guy! That would be so ironic/cool imo. I was fairly confident Beverly would die after I saw episode 3 (for a smart person she wasn't that smart in her actions but I'm said she is dead). I strongly believed, and still do, that is what will cause Will to send a serial killer admirer after Hannibal. I think the previews showed it.

The previews made me feel good about my guesses. I've always questioned the death of Dr. Gideon and asked about it after episode 2 (I think) and after episode 3. Now I am second guessing myself ad wonder if he will just be a flashback or memory.

I also think Miriam is in the basement but I'm not sure if she is alive or dead. Most likely dead and if not then she will wish she was dead. Beverly is dead and Hannibal doesn't respect her. I like her but she wasn't that bright in her conversations with Hannibal much less going alone to Hannibal's house. I do wish she had lived and will miss her character but I'm not surprised she is dead (had a feeling she would die after I watched episode 3).

I know a lot of people hate Chilton but he is so funny that I hope he stays around a while--at least as long as he stayed alive in the books/movie(s).
More +
Flag
Mar 24, 2014
I think that the room Beverly went to in the end had the preserved bodies of Hobbs and the FBI chick. Not necessarily alive. I mean what does a hunter do when he catches a 10 point buck? he mounts the damn thing
Flag
Mar 24, 2014
It does make me really curious to know the condition of Miriam's arm that was recovered. It did look suspiciously like it had deep, dark bruises and ligature marks, which would be strange considering he supposedly strangled her quickly. I'm also curious about whether or not it showed signs of freezing.
Flag
Mar 25, 2014
in keeping with the food angle of this show...i bet there are ways to preserve meat without refrigeration.
Flag
Mar 24, 2014
I am technically fine with most of the spoilers, basically because when they are specific, some other crazy shit goes on in the episode (sort of the magician trick, the distraction is here, but the real magic is being done over here) like this one seems so literal, I am betting the fight is in this episode and we are more taken aback by it. Then most of the episode, even if they are telegraphing the end (if I am totally honest with myself, as horror movie yelling at the tv as I was, they were telegraphing Beverly's death for about two episodes).

I guess you just provided me with hope that what Beverly actually discovered was a prison of some sort in which Abigail and Miriam are being held. And maybe all she is suffering from is a gunshot wound, so she might be able to escape or otherwise get notice to Jack or Will. But, here I am propping up your false hope.
Flag
Mar 24, 2014
Mutual false-hope reinforcement. I have, given Fuller's interviews elsewhere, given up hope on Beverly, whose body is supposedly discovered in rather "theatrical" fashion in Episode 2.5, which Fuller insists is the best episode of Hannibal they've yet filmed. I will very much miss her, but yeah, I'm very intrigued about what she found in the basement.

Also, you're completely right about Hannibal's spoilers. Magic tricks. The show is constantly setting us up for one reveal and delivering on that plus another, sometimes more subtle but usually more of a punch. As such, I don't mind them at all. Fuller knows just how much to tell us beforehand to thrill and enrage us and then just how to make it all the better for knowing in advance. Because it doesn't rely solely on its surprises and mysteries, Hannibal holds up so well to re-watching, which becomes a different but no less rich experience than the first time.
Flag
Mar 24, 2014
Heck, the general knowledge that Will gets out of this and turns it around is just fun to watch.
Flag
Mar 23, 2014
I think what Beverly saw at Hannibal's basement was an autographed first edition of the book "To Serve Men." Shocked, naturally she ran in fear.
Flag
Mar 23, 2014
Perhaps Beverly saw both girls in the basement
Flag
Mar 23, 2014
I saw this theory proposed in some of the comments to Noel's TV.com review of "Takiawase", perhaps even by you. I think this plausible. There's been no indication so far that he takes that much more "meat" from his kills than he eats fairly quickly, and that was a huge cellar with insulation curtains. If he's storing one or more bodies, alive or not, that would be the only place on the premises. It would also be immediately recognizable to Beverly and wouldn't require a test—like the kidney—to know it's human.
Flag
Mar 23, 2014
Beverly Katz is also alive in Red Dragon.
I'm not sure if Hannibal respects Beverly the way he might respect Miriam Lass. Miriam found Hannibal on her own (mirroring the way Will Graham caught Hannibal in Red Dragon). I think he is more inclined to see Beverly as an extension of Will Graham.
Hannibal: So often you open your mouth and I hear Will Grahams words come out.
That doesn't sound respectful.
Flag
Mar 22, 2014
Beverly Katz is dead. Fuller confirmed it on A.V. Club.

But this show is so full of twists and turns. I love it.
Flag
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks. Well, that stings, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Here's the interview for anyone interested.
Flag
Mar 23, 2014
It also sounds like her body will be displayed very theatrically, something that would suggest—as @edge1710 mentioned—Hannibal doesn't respect Beverly as much as I clearly do. But this also continues to raise suspicions about Abigail, whose body remains missing. Whatever happened to it, even if she's dead and Hannibal's just keeping her corpse, I suspect that it's not gone from the show.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members