A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E06: "Futamono"

With so many actual blossoms in this episode, the previews involving Alana Bloom (see what they did there?) and Hannibal Lecter kissing in bed weren't going to be a dream sequence after all, but a fact that we're going to have to live with for the rest of our days.

Romance between the unlikely pair—and we'll come back to that, don't worry—wasn't the only thing that bloomed this week. Jack may not be fully on board the "Hannibal the Cannibal" train (though he's seriously mulling buying a ticket), but he at least had the epiphany that Will's not the Chesapeake Ripper or the copycat killer, as they are, in fact, one and the same. Like the flowers in that unfortunate councilman's chest cavity, Jack's mind is now open and ready for just the right amount of pollination.

I swear that's the last flower-, bloom-, or blossom-related term I'll use. I'm nipping them in the bud right now. 

OKAY. That was the last one, I promise.

"Futamono" was something of an odd episode, in part because Will's actions last week sped everything up. The episode burned through a sizable amount of plot rather quickly—setting up the romance and putting Jack in a new frame of mind AND THEN FINDING MIRIAM LASS—making for one of the quicker-moving installments of the series. Even the pace of dialogue was increased, with characters talking at a faster-than-usual clip and with fewer ominous and emotionally charged pauses. As a whole, "Futamono" lurched forward at such a rate that while I know it's far too soon, I half-wondered if Jack might be getting stabbed in the neck before the finale. Like, next week instead.

This newfound swiftness may've also contributed to the odd tonality of "Futamono." The episode veered from the show's trademark, layered threats—"I wonder how many more people are going to get hurt by what you do. I'll give Alana Bloom your best."—to the discussion of death posing as pillow talk to the delightfully humorous bits, like Brian's "varicose vines" or pretty much any line that was loosed from Chilton's lips this week (praise be to Law & Order: SVU for allowing Raúl Esparza to come and play so often). 

I don't view any of these things as negative, by the way. The tonal shifts and the geared-up narrative momentum aren't a sign that the show is changing or rushing so much as they are signs that Hannibal is flexing some different muscles as it hits the halfway point of the season. It's becoming more confident in itself, and putting more trust in its audience to roll with these shifts. Last week was about earning the shock of seeing Beverly's body sliced up on put on display; this week was about Hannibal saying, "Here's what we're building to, here's what to expect as we go forward, because things are going to be a little different."

So, yeah, the hook-up. It was horrible to watch since, well, we know Hannibal, and Alana has no idea. In fact, given Will and Jack's actions, she's even less likely to suspect Hannibal of any wrongdoing at this point. It's classic dramatic irony; Alana turned to Hannibal in an emotionally vulnerable state just as we knew Hannibal was looking to hurt her in some way after his conversation with Will. So we were freaking out due to our knowledge, and the episode was encouraging us to freak out even more by shooting Alana and Hannibal's pillow talk vertically, as if they we standing up, instead of horizontally, as you normally would would when two characters are lying in bed. It was unsettling to our spatial sense of the world (and cinematography) just as much as those two having slept together unsettled us emotionally.

That being said, I can't stress how much I loved that Alana made the first move here. For all the show's strengths and continued goodness, it has struggled to find a way to make Alana fit and to make her relevant to the narrative beyond being Will's sad-eyed ally and would-be romantic entanglement. Changing her dance partner, as it were, isn't ideal as it still chains the show's only regular female character now a romantic bauble, but at least the show granted her the agency to kiss Hannibal first and to base that decision on the mixed up emotions inside of her. It did also side-step the whole "Serial killer seducing the woman" angle, which I'm all for, even if could trap Alana in a damsel position once Jack and Will find firm ground for pursuing Hannibal.

Jack's epiphany about Will arrived, as you might've guessed, a bit sooner than I had anticipated. It was going to be this season, but I didn't expect it at the halfway point. Maybe a few episodes after. In any case, it's happening, and I'm glad. Will needs someone who believes some of his story who can actually do something, and Jack is obviously willing to do things, even if he's not completely on board with the idea of Hannibal as the Chesapeake Ripper. But, c'mon, Jack. Who else could it be at this point? Who had access to all the victims in some way? Knew the cases? Hannibal can misdirect you all he wants, but the answer is right there next to you, serving you some well-aged alcohol by the fire.

Of course, the universe also rewarded Jack for coming around on Will's innocence in the form of Miriam Lass. This is perhaps the largest development of the season so far since it indicates just how close Jack is to finally catching the Ripper, and it'll likely provide a much needed boost of confidence to Jack that he didn't let this trainee die...just be trapped in a hatch for a few years...and lost an arm. I doubt Miriam's going to be much help right away, but she's bound to be some.

À LA CARTE

– "Needless to say, I will not be eating the food." In case you missed the recipe cards and Chilton's recapping of the dishes, Hannibal served heart tartare, beef roulade, Wagyu beef, and prosciutto roses. And none of it, apparently, was human. At least he has that rôti de cuisse of Gideon to hold him for a while.

– Speaking of speeding things up, lots of little pieces from Silence of the Lambs appeared in this episode, from Will's instructive chat with Jack mirroring Hannibal's discussion with Clarice about Buffalo Bill's motives to Jack finding Miriam Lass in that dark, dank hole, like where Buffalo Bill kept Catherine Martin. It's as if Hannibal isn't expecting to get to do its take on Lambs (for a host of reasons), so it's just going to incorporate elements of it now instead.

– Apart from Hannibal's own composition on the harpsichord—which had me switching to Bach's lute-harpsichord pieces while I wrote this instead of my usual Toru Takemitsu tracks—we heard more from Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words, this time Book VII, Op. 85, No. 4 as Alana helped Hannibal skewer hearts. Staruss's waltz Liebeslieder op. 114 played as Hannibal prepared food for his dinner party, and at the dinner party itself, we heard the first movement of Beethoven's String Quartet No. 3. Finally, as Hannibal prepared Gideon's thigh, it was the first movement of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11 in A major. Oh, and "Chopsticks," the ultimate "OH, WE ARE SO ABOUT TO MAKE OUT" piece of music for TV.

– What do you make of the show's decision to have Will grow antlers, a la the manstag? This is the second or third time this has happened, and I think we should start analyzing its meaning. It seems to me that it occurs as Will is plotting, allowing a darkness associated with Hannibal to overtake him. Other ideas?

–  One more item for all of us to discuss. Did Hannibal want Miriam to be found? He gave out a ton of evidence in the lures he used to string up the hospital guard. His performance at the harpsichord being intercut with Jack investigating that barn came off as decidedly triumphant to me, but did you all read it differently? Is Hannibal falling prey to his hubris? Tell me, tell me.

How did "Futamono" taste?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

361 Comments
Comments (361)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Will is definitely letting the darkness in and I love it. Die Hannibal, die.
Flag
I can't believe we're not discussing the dinner scene. I get that this show is about a cannibal. And we've been watching him prepare human dishes almost every episode since the beginning. But there are some times when this show takes it that step further to really hammer home the message. This was one of those times. We knew the thigh was probably human. But to actually serve it up for dinner and expect someone to eat their own leg? That's taking it to a whole new level. This was on par with Gideon asking Chilton to 'hold a few things' as he pulled out his organs and waved them in his face. It really makes you question ownership when not even your own insides, whether it be your literal insides or the inner tapestry of your mind is safe from this monster. It is taking everything you intrinsically thought of as yours, and sacred and turning it into just another play thing. The sense of wrongness really comes through in that scene and while tv shows in general can make you completely dull to the everyday horror, I appreciate this show taking the time to really show just how disturbing Hannibal's character is. He gets romanticised a lot. And from what I've heard, that's coming. So it was a well timed reminder just how wrong all this is.
More+
Flag
I wouldn't say that Hannibal is falling prey to his hubris... Not at all. He's way too smart for that. Besides, he now KNOWS that he's under Jack's microscope. He didn't leave d fish baits out of pride or anything... He's deliberately stringing Jack along, revealing only what he WANTS to reveal. Maybe he now knows that Jack will find the truth, so he might as well lead him there of his own accord, so as to at least be able to control the circumstances under which Jack finds out.

Also, will's antlers: The antler imagery has always been used to symbolize the imposition of dark intents. That's why Hannibal always has those antlers. So Will now growing those antlers, I think is symbolic of him embracing his dark side, and embracing the fact that he has to take more extreme actions. Initially, when he envisioned the antlers, he struggled against it, almost as if trying to keep his darker intents at bay... But later we find him gladly giving into it, perhaps realizing that he has to turn into a monster in order to defeat a monster.
Flag
So, Hannibal is looking to hurt will by attacking him through his friends. Beverly winds up sliced into pieces and Alana gets some naked hugging? That doesn't seem right. Why couldn't Alana, on a trip to get herself some post sexin' refreshments have wandered into the secret kitchen and gotten sliced up instead? {sigh} She bugs me, though I'm not sure why. Even when she and Will were flirting with a hookup last season, my inner voice was saying, "Don't do it, Will! That chick is crazy pants!". Given that Will not entirely mentally stable himself...that's saying something.

"The episode was encouraging us to freak out even more by shooting Alana and Hannibal's pillow talk vertically, as if they we standing up, instead of horizontally, as you normally would would when two characters are lying in bed. It was unsettling to our spatial sense of the world"

So THAT'S what that was. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time. Here's where I reitterate my appreciation for the directorial tricks comment from last episode. SO GOOD!

I'm also a fan of the sped up story telling. Will being bars literally and figuratively completely by himself was only going to play for so long. He'd been abandoned by everybody except for Beverly {sniff}. There's only so far the story can progress while Will sits in his cell.

"What do you make of the show's decision to have Will grow antlers, a la the manstag?"

I don't know and I don't care...it's brilliant, even if I don't have the first clue in understanding what it all means. The contrast of this and his fly fishing...again, brilliant.

What's not so brilliant, expecting me to believe that Hannibal woke up in the middle of the night, snuck out of bed and MOVED A TREE INTO THE MIDDLE OF A PARKING LOT. Sorta like the human totem pole from last year, this one triggered my, "Hey, wait a minute" response. I know I should just go with it...but...

That said, the $64,000 question....which is creepier? Eddie Izzard eating his own leg or Ray Liota eating his own brain? I dunno, either, but both made me CRINGE!!!
More+
Flag
Wow and I was starting to underestimate the show. We have will free and Hannibal not incriminating himself and killing all witnesses. Well except the trainee from years ago. How will she not finger him oh man I can't wait till tomorrow.
Flag
Finally someone said "Hannibal the Cannibal". It needed to be said. Chilton was hilarious this week.
Flag
Yeh, I can't imagine him doing it actually, it'd probably be wierd. Soz if I gave anything away, I assumed you'd seen all the movies made and knew the full plot. Like you say, Clarice doesn't run off with Lecter in 'Hannibal' like she does in the book, she tries to arrest him and he cuts his hand off to escape (somehow), so they might completely change what happens to Will Graham.

no, you did not spoil anything for me. i am not of that generation that someone telling me about a movie or a book or a play is the same as myself seeing it. if someone tells me about something, it either fuels my desire to see it or i decide to pass on it all together, but an experience cannot be spoiled for me by someone telling me about it because it is not the same as me seeing it for myself.

a man telling me that he slept with my wife is not the same as me seeing the two of them in the bed having butt naked hot sweaty monkey love.

i have seen all of the movies except hannibal rising and hannibal, but somehow i thought that will graham came out all right in red dragon except for the scar and in manhunter except for the scar. i did not know that hannibal would be in a position to gloat over will's life left in absolute shambles.
More+
Flag
dr hannibal is getting hotter by the moment like sexiest man alive-ish level hahaha
Flag
the sexiest man alive who would as soon as eat you as look at you. i suppose for the woman who is not looking for a long term or long-lived relationship, he's quite the catch.
Flag
sad thing is not all people get to understand irony of the statement *rolls eyes* go troll somewhere else
Flag
how's this for irony: you definitely are hannibal's type. what is his type again? oh, yeah cadaverous.*rolls eyes*and to think the world's greatest mind squandered precious time from something really important and life-saving to level snide remarks.
Flag
just go away and don't reply to any of my post please do read the book and you would realize it's not really insulting to be his type since Clarice is not shabby just stay away from my post please
Flag
Fantastic episode!!! although didn't know clay can be used for cooking!
Flag
Another excellent episode of arguably the best drama on Network TV in a long time. Seems there are only 13 eps. again this season which for a show like Hannibal is the right amount. Sure you can criticize a few things like how many people he kills or how elaborately he stages them, but overall very little to quibble with.
Acting and dialogue are excellent and the drama and creepy level are through the roof as well.
Flag
Seriously, I love this show. I just love it. It's clever, refreshing and delightfully creepy. One thing I kind of resent it for though is the way it treats women. Ok I'm not going all feminist there but just look at what it does to female characters.
- They are either victims of horrible deaths, so, yeah, mere plot devices,
- Bitchy reporters, even though I've grown to like Freddie Lounds, because: smart and surprinsingly female, (we all remember Seymour Hoffman) but still bitchy as hell,
- Clever and insightful but, yeah, dead (I loved you so much Beverly),
-Or completely driven by their hormones, sleeping around with a freaking sociopath, and with no real conviction "I love you Will but you're not right for me", "I'm sure you're completely nuts I'll stop believing in you from now on". I mean come on Alana, you were refreshing, and nice, and down to earth. I just don't like you anymore. (Even when my heart tells me that there's a tiny but existing chance she's doing this to frame Hannibal or something, because I still have hope for her)
So please, writers, give us just good, intelligent, nice and LIVING female characters. Please. PLEASE.

More+
Flag
whoever you are. i think i may be in love.***writing a dear john letter to chris evans: hey, bud, remember when i said that i thought you were the epitome of the world's greatest man and that i could never love a woman the way i love you? well, i met someone online and...***

you made so many fantastic, articulate points that i am just going to commit each one to memory and use them in future.

although if i might diverge a bit, philip seymour hoffman's freddie was kinda bitchy too and not terribly bright. edward norton's will loathed him and yet somehow he thought that the guy wanted a photo-op with him. that is not the thinking of an ace reporter.
Flag
Thanks, passion makes me bright sometimes! (seriously I'm over-commited to this show, it's like I never even blink when I'm watching it, and that HURTS)
I agree on the Seymour Hoffman part, he was kind of pathetic even. I guess if we ever get to see the Red Dragon "bit" in Hannibal, girl Freddie would fight fiercely. I actually miss her, even if I'm so obsessed with her hair (what can I say, I'm French...) that I've trouble remembering what she actually looks like...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I agree with you on many points, but the 'driven by their hormones' I think is inappropriate. She has shown a history of restraint romantically. She has no idea Hannibal is a danger. In everything she knows about him he is the most sane, gentle, and empathetic person. He is considerate. He is calm. He is warm to her but not often unprofessional. He is the very example of civility and intelligence. And she has no reason to believe he is guilty of anything. She just saw him victimized by the orderly (Murderly) and they have shared interests and shared pains.

Will on the other hand just tried to murder her mentor, and friend after always showing instability and being a much angrier and insensitive (behaviorally) around Alana than Hannibal.
Flag
Love this series. Really is a joy to watch. But I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. If Hannibal was removing organs as the Chesapeake Ripper & the 'Copycat killer' that he eventually framed Will for, why wasn't the connection between the two established sooner? And I seem to be seeing a lot of people compare the killings in the court to that of the Ripper? However, wasn't Will only on trial as the Copycat? So why would Jack have the epiphany that Will's not the Chesapeake Ripper? He was never under suspicion as Chesapeake Ripper surely?
Flag
Anyone notice the side comment about the census taker when jack rings hannibal's doorbell
Flag
Lazzer, I shrieked when I heard that line! OMG.
Flag
What about it?
Flag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1b2v_Lls3A
Flag
Good lord I hate myself
Flag
(One of my favorite movies ever, if not favorite.)
Flag
The kill of the week was really stupid. damned innards made of flowers. awful metaphor that needed lots of splaining from Jack. Other than that, not bad. Will's comin' home.
Flag
and just wait until will finds out who has not been sleeping in his bed...
Flag
The real kicker is - and I suppose that why they call this crazy little thing "fiction" - how does Doc Lecter find the time to DO all this elaborate theatrical killing? I mean -- that gutted politician, stuffed with posies, crocheted into a tree trunk which was flowering, alive and set in the middle of a concrete parking lot, wehellhell...that's a bit of work, dontcha think? So, nobody on earth notices the schlepping of a flower tree, there's no trace of soil, or evidence of any kind to even slightly trace? HEH. While I adore this show, the probability of any of this happening is as believable as any of the stunts Jack Bauer performed on 24.
Flag
He has a lot of access to stimulants and he is incredibly focused, foward-thinking, and always prepared. Also, he doesn't see as many clients now and he is limiting-to-cancelling his consulting for the FBI.
Flag
I know it's a TV show, but yeah between his job as a psychiatrist, his work with the police, his cooking and entertaining, not to mention killing, all of which he is so meticulous about, I think Hannibal needs an extra 10 hours in the day to pull off some of his stunts.
Flag
As for the party, he had a huge staff doing prepwork in the kitchen and the dining room.
Flag
Plus, he's also making cutesy little clues to leave -- like the perfectly selected bits of hair, tooth and bark all perfectly entwined in the bait thingees, which implies that he's got a freakin' catalogue of perfectly organized bits of planned evidence, ready to use, probably kept in tidy bags in hermetically sealed drawers. Hrmhrmhrmhrmhrmmmmm.
Flag
Not only killing them and staging them in elaborate "tableaux" but also finding the time to prepare such elaborate feasts and write pieces of classical music on a harpsichord...
Flag
yes, i have had those same feelings as well. i keep remembering what clarice starling said about buffalo bill in silence of the lambs. when analyzing the aftermath of what was done to his victims, she remarked that what buffalo bill does takes time--and privacy. hannibal indulges in these very public death spectacles and at no time is he ever interrupted, but i guess if he is interrupted, he merely kills whatever hapless fool happened to appear.
Flag
Oh, and, um, let's see...during Alana's sleepy afterglow, he manages to amputate our favorite British tranvestite's leg, abduct him AND string up the unfortunate orderly in an extremely complicated fashion -- all in time to ricochet back to bed for some possible morning nookie. YEAH THAT'S DOABLE.
Flag
I'm quite sure Hannibal drugged her. He snapped the fingers in front of her face to see if it worked already and took away the wine glass. I don't think it was just him being tidy. So yeah, plenty of time to nab one guy and hang another up in a weird installment.

He also doesn't seem to be seeing any patients now, so his days consist of cooking and killing basically.
Flag
lol. the hannibal lecter step by step cooking and killing how to book. that has best-seller written all over it.
Flag
With introduction by Gordon Ramsay.
Flag
The series certainly speeds through hours making it seem as if a murder was committed and put on display within just a few hours at most. However, if you think hard enough, there has been ample time for Hannibal to commit these murders.

Firstly, he most likely didn't amputate Gideon's leg at the hospital but took him from the hospital and kept him hostage till the other things played out and eventually got around to his plan with him.

Secondly, Hannibal being the killer that he is, not just plans out his victims and recipes, but also puts time into his artistic (and sickly) display. I don't think hanging the guard on Gideon's bed would've taken him more than a few hours at most... The two murders that did trouble me, in regards to their timings were this weeks murder (how'd he get the tree and plants and all to grow in so quickly - but if you think about it, he probably did it somewhere else and then moved the body), and Beverly's murder... My initial thought with Beverly was that Hannibal put her on display by morning... How did he get the body frozen so quickly and cut? The obvious answer being liquid nitrogen.

In other words; though I've questioned the timing on the show at times, it's not crazy to think it possible either.

Looking forward to seeing where the series is headed...!
More +
Flag
Freezing Beverly would not have been difficult in his expansive kitchen I have seen a blast chiller. Blast chillers can completely freeze a half of a cow in about 3 hours.
Flag
OK, I can get with that...if I really allow myself serious leeway for possibility.
Now - one thing that really bothered me was the truly crappy special effects for the blooming man. He looked like a rubber Joaquin Phoenix doll. That did not look like skin, it looked like latex. Suspension of reality stopped for me on that sub par prop.
Flag
lol! Yessssss! I see that now too...

p.s. my wife is totally weirded out by the fact that not only do I watch this "sick" show, I also discuss it on forums :P
Flag
maybe one of hannibal's dark gifts is the ability to shift back and forth through time at his whim without upsetting the scheme of things as it were. truth be told, i have never disemboweled anyone, but there are couple of people who could make me change my mind about that, so i have no idea how long it takes to rip a human body apart and stage it in horrifying poses.

when i think about the insane asylum i keep wondering where are all the guards. the place always looks so cavernous and empty. cameras seems to be posted there for decoration only.

lol...morning nookie. that probably is not so hard to do when you have a partner who kinda just lies there like a trout and takes it.
Flag
AHAHAhahaha. Perhaps he closes his eyes and imagines her skinless. "Come to Hanni, my leetle sushi-poo..."
Flag
hmmm...skinless? it couldn't hurt. anything at this point would be a vast improvement. hey remember miss muffet from silence of the lambs who clarice found in the storage unit with her head preserved in a jar? maybe that's hannibal's fate for our favorite trout. she is definitely one that will should have thrown back.
Flag
And Hannibal feeding Gideon to himself was very reminiscent of the film Hannibal.
Flag
I also think the series takes a lot of inspiration from Hannibal Rising.
At the time, I completely ignored that movie because I had been so disappointed in in the 2001 film Hannibal. However, rewatching it early during the first season gave me a greater appreciation for both the film and the series.
It doesn't make Hannibal Rising a better film, but watching it might make Hannibal the TV series even more meaningful.
Flag
Love this series. Really is a joy to watch. But I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. If Hannibal was removing organs as the Chesapeake Ripper & the 'Copycat killer' that he eventually framed Will for, why wasn't the connection between the two established sooner? And I seem to be seeing a lot of people compare the killings in the court to that of the Ripper? However, wasn't Will only on trial as the Copycat? So why would Jack have the epiphany that Will's not the Chesapeake Ripper? He was never under suspicion as Chesapeake Ripper surely?
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
Flag
Excellent. Classic Hannibal Lecter. What a great character he is, and Will Graham. A possible end to the show could be Clarice slowly walking upto Hannibal's cell, but it goes off after she says "Dr.Lecter". Or she walks into the hospital and says "I'm special agent Clarice Starling with the FBI, I'm hear to see Dr. Lecter" THE END. But hopefully we'll get a few more seasons of it.
Flag
you know, it never occurred to me that clarice would be introduced in this series. i am not sure how i feel about that. i have grown so attached to will graham. he's like the morose, gifted, depressed, genius big brother that i never knew i wanted and would probably never share a bedroom with.

it boogles my mind who could be cast as clarice that would make us forget about jodie foster. as far as i am concerned, hugh dancy's will graham is light years better than edward norton's will graham. norton's will did not really seem like he had the chops to best hannibal as then portrayed by anthony hopkins. julianne moore's clarice starling did not register with me at all. all i remember about her is this vague auburn blur.
Flag
I agree, that's why I thought just giving her the one line might be good. Yeh Julianne Moore was naff.

I was wondering if they'd ever have Mads Mikkelsen attempt the famous slurping noise made by Hopkins, I thought they might even finish the show with it. But maybe they won't take the story as far as Clarice showing up. We know Graham nearly dies in his altercation with Hannibal when he catches him, that he retires but is drawn out of retirement 3 years later by Crawford to catch Francis Dollarhye "The Tooth Fairy" or "Great Red Dragon". Dollarhyde stabs Graham in the face leaving him disfigured, and depending on the version, Graham shoots and kills Dollarhyde, or his wife Molly does. So you'd imagine they'll skip forward 3 years after he catches Hannibal to cover Red Dragon and Dollarhyde/The Tooth Fairy, and to introduce Molly etc. Obviously Hannibal isn't in that story very much but they could write a bigger part for him. Then Graham retires again and becomes a drunk in Florida, presumably divorced from Molly. Buffalo Bill starts his killing spree and after number 5, Crawford sends Clarice to consult with Hannibal, presumably because Graham refuses or is too much an alcoholic. It'll be interesting to see how far they go with it and what changes they make.
More +
Flag
i am feeling a little sad now. because i am not an expert on the books, i had no idea that my big brother will graham is destined to become a dissolute dipsomaniac.

if will becomes a hopeless drunk and soon thereafter hannibal converts clarice into a fellow cannibal, then i guess hannibal wins after all and all of this is just one long circle jerk.

mads mikkelsen possesses a sexy quotient that anthony hopkins' hannibal lecter could not aspire. out of his clothes, anthony hopkins' hannibal is just a grizzled old man with a few parlor trick. out of his clothes, mad mikkelsen's hannibal is a worthy successor to the james bond throne.

i just do not see mads mikkelsen's hannibal making slurping noises at women. sure he would slice them and dice them and otherwise use their bodies in the most grotesque of ways, but he definitely would not make rude slurping noises at them.
Flag
Yeh, I can't imagine him doing it actually, it'd probably be wierd. Soz if I gave anything away, I assumed you'd seen all the movies made and knew the full plot. Like you say, Clarice doesn't run off with Lecter in 'Hannibal' like she does in the book, she tries to arrest him and he cuts his hand off to escape (somehow), so they might completely change what happens to Will Graham.
Flag
Flag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXopTehvZs

Flag
Mads is great in this. His prior life as a dancer lends a certain poise/grace to the character that I enjoy. For me, the show is nearly as good as True Detective. (matt mc is amazing as Cohle) heres mads dancing. :)
Flag
Nice. Love Matt mc and liked true detective very much but in my opinion it isn't as good Hannibal. I would argue that True Detective's cool credit intro is more interesting than the actual show. Again I enjoyed TD but for me it is not on the level as Hannibal. Hannibal airs on network tv and yet has a visual style and story that revivals any premium channel's work. It is unfortunate that it doesn't air on an HBO as HBO shows tend to get lots of viewers on hype as well as merit.
Flag
funny tidbit for you - Anna Chlumsky's character on Veep had to hand over her mobile phone at a wedding and described the feeling as though she had lost a limb ... I had a little chuckle at that.
Flag
Heh. I saw that scene.
Flag
Loved Gideon, his comments in the scene with Hannibal and his leg. My favorite part of a busy episode. And the antlers on Will I felt started appearing as he attempted to match Hannibal's wits with his own: he told someone to murder last week, that has an affect on one's soul, no matter how much it might be deserved.
Flag
what has been the effect on hannibal's soul, if any?
Flag
I'm not sure: how much of his near death experience did he set himself up for? Did that spiral out of control? He is such a master of his surroundings, did the hospital orderly just show up? I can't read into anything, because I'm in Will's head. None of us are TRULY in Hannibal's head.
Flag
oh, i think there are some who would be quite comfortable roaming around in hannibal's head. it would be like old home week.***poppa, poppa, where have you been? am i not the spitting image of your profound derangement?***
Flag
Comments on an earlier episode of this show led me to watch Stoker with Matthew Goode whom I had never heard of before and then he pops up in The Good Wife a week later. So, thanks for that tip. And the recaps.

The fight with Hannibal and Jack - is that definitely about the killings? Could it be about Bella? I thought Jack would find the remains of Gideon in the shack at the end.
Flag
"Stoker" was very good. If one likes "Hannibal" I recommend "Stoker" to them and vice versa.
Flag
what if gideon is not dead yet and hannibal intends to keep snacking on him for an extended time? i still do not understand how it is that gideon trusted hannibal more than he trusted will.
Flag
What if Alana is doing it all to uncover Hannibal? i doubt she's gotten over her Will crush so fast and i hope she's not that stupid.
Flag
that's a lotta wishful thinking my friend. i may have given her some marginal credit if she had awakened during the night and did some snooping of hannibal's house of horrors. unfortunately she stayed naked under those expensive sheets like a submissive concubine.
Flag
I think it's safe to say that Hannibal is pulling the strings. I mean, if he could selectively alter Will's memory to avoid being detected, I have no doubt that he could do the same to Miriam Lass (especially because he doesn't have that strange attraction for her that he seems to have for Will).
Flag
This is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Hannibal is full of wonderful twists and turns that make tv worth watching. Thank you for getting it right, now if we can just keep it on the air! Seems everything I like gets cancelled for some reason.
Flag
I definitely think that Hannibal's still pulling strings. His 'oh shi-' face when Jack wanted to take things to go was great, even if the tests came back negative. Miriam was a complete surprise - I'm really interested to see where that goes. And Abel! That was a great scene.
Flag
Oddly enough, I found the most unsettling thing in this episode to be the overhead shot of the floor in Hannibal's home. Who has a marble Escher pattern in their floor? And how does one walk across such a floor without some serious vertigo issues?

Also, I'm not sure I would eat heart. Human or animal. Cooked or tartare. Ew.

Lastly, I am amused that, apparently, Hannibal keeps 'to go' containers at his house.
Flag
I laughed at that too - the 'to go' containers.

Also...the hired help got me thinking. Now that we're getting a good idea of just how large Chateau Lecter is, one would think Monsieur Le Chef would need a good couple of housekeepers on hand, to wash the Hanni panties, etc. I can't see him with a swiffer (or can I?) ...but would our boy be able to stand having people around to wash his perfect socks? I doubt it. What if one should stumble into the dungeon of fun and get curious?

And yes, the extent to which he puts on his show - from feigning a look of fear when Jack asked for his doggy bag-o-heart to his "I'm so hurt and disappointed in you, Jack," face, when Jack (who may finally have handed himself the red pill - 'bout time, Morpheus...) semi-accuses him of being the ripper before what's-her-completely-unimportant-character-face comes in and declares, "Yo, dat ass is mine."

By the way... what DID Beverly see down there? Methinks mebbe Rack of DuMaurier?
Flag
no, no, not dr. dumarier. if no drawz or the pop tart as i like to call her can sleep with the devil and live to tell the tale, then i want dr. dumarier to have another private convo with will.

i will never forget dr. dumarier's hurried hushed words to will: i believe you.
Flag
I am responding to this comment because there is apparently a limit to the number of replies we can post consecutively.

OK... on fear and humor. Yes, both, in abundance. And usually matched moment for moment. For example, the last scene...Eddie Izzard's face as he was eating his own leg, and the way Hannibal looked at him while he was taking it all in, both physically and emotionally - now that bordered on hilarious. I cannot imagine these two actors keeping any kind of a straight face on during the filming of this. I think this particular take -- the one they got -- was a one shot deal. There just had to be hysterics in the outtakes.
Flag
i am not sure i could ever feel comfortable around mads. i am sure he has a sense of humor and is a great guy, but there is something...i dunno...glacial about him. like goldfinger from bond a kiss from him would seem to be the kiss of death.

then again, i really don't foresee hanging out at the strip club with laurence fishburne either.

i did not know that eddie izzard was capable of drama although his brand of delivery does lend itself to the comical.
Flag
The direction given to Gillian Anderson is the same kind as what is given to Eddie Izzard: Camp, melodrama. The two of them both act like they're hearing an overly dramatic musical score as they finish their lines. I love it. That scene where DuMaurier backs up, eventually claiming that she realizes Hanni is 'dangerous' is the same kind of scene as the one where Abel is munching on his own leg. This is black humor at it's finest. I LOVE IT.
Flag
hmmm...that's funny. when i watch hannibal every scene seems so operatic and i keep reminding myself to breathe. if there is humor the fear it invokes camouflages it from my sensibility.
Flag
i dunno some folks have no compunction about breaking a healthy heart so why not gnosh on a couple drizzled in hollandaise.
Flag
So much blegh there. Ventricles à la mode.
Flag
Chilton was hilarious, first this:

... then this:

What a partey, especially for Alana Bloomed twice ... (no pics, sorry)

Flag
I usually cant stand him but he was so funny this episose...
Flag
The opening Harpsichord piece is " 'Sarabande La D'Aubonne' by Forqueray" (Though I am not sure which one. it can be Antoine or his son who is imprisoned by his father for a while - Jean-Baptiste) It sounds close to Bach but definitely not him I can see that 😊
Flag
Perhaps because we know a lot more about Hannibal than most characters do in the show but Alana's actions just seems increasingly dumb to me. For someone who is supposed to have such an insight into people's actions and motivations, she seems very quick to side with Hannibal even as he comes under increasing scrutiny (and ugh, that hook up, I wish I could unsee that) and she wants to make Jack into the bad guy. She also never questioned Will's guilt even though she has known him for a while and instead came up with that superdumb defence based on Will being not guilty because he would have been on some sort of trance while planning a superclever crime. Dumbest idea ever.
Please can we have the smart Dr. Du Maurier back and send Alana to undergrad school or something?
Flag
oh, and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss. It's because you know more than the characters. the reviewer spelled it out for you when he mentioned dramatic irony. issue many seem to have is remembering that ala...sorry SHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED doesn't have the facts we have, so of course we see it as dumb decision, she sees it as perfectly reasonable one given the information she has
Flag
***she who must not be named...***that's cute.

ironically, i would have a tad bit more respect for she who must not be named if after she finds out who hannibal really is, she sticks to him like glue and proclaims to jack and will graham that she has discovered the human side of him via his penis in her juicy parts and she will forgive his callous murders and eviscerations of his countless victims.
Flag
so bascially you just need characters to never ever change for you to respect them. find path stick with it. got it.
Flag
do not group me into your little "martyrdom/resistance act." it's dumb. no one's telling you to shut up though i wish you would because it's exhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaausting . no one's said you're wrong, or that anyone's wrong there's just been a difference of opinion and you're treating it like disagreement is some sort of disapproval or censorship, and that you're a part of some damn comment insurgency against a tyrannical reviewer who is ironing over everyone else when he's only expressed a counter point to yours and others
Flag
basically some characters impress me more than others. surely you have a specific way you enjoy your drama, but it is decent of you to consider that there are viewpoints that diverge from your own. vive la difference.
Flag
"For someone who is supposed to have such an insight into people's actions and motivations" ...Will and Jack didn't suspect anything at all last season. Should we send those boys back to college, too?
Flag
Look, yes, that is a fair point too. But last season we had not had one member of the team suddenly discovered as a killer (Will), one accused of being the killer (Hannibal even if by Will), one dead (Beverly) so I'd say that now everyone should at least be a little suspicious/cautious of each other...
Last season Will was very ill (thanks Hannibal for misdiagnosing) from at least half way through in addition to his general instability (he was not field approved by the FBI for that very reason).
Jack as the senior guy in the operation is more in the spotlight (and a stint back to college!). He was somewhat distracted by his wife's illness and by the guilt over the disappearance (assumed death then, now not so much) of Miriam Lass.
Perhaps the problem with Alana as a character is that we have not seen her do anything of any note since she befriended Will last season. This season she has had much to do professionally and when she has done something it has seem misguided or worse, in my opinion.
Flag
as a character if she were missing from the proceedings, would you feel like you were missing something special. for instance, beverly katz's murder has cast a pall and her presence is sorely missed. with dr. dumarier gone, it is frustrating that will has no one with credibility to buttress his truth about hannibal. beverly and dr. dumarier possessed a three-dimensional quality as opposed to being just straw plot devices.

do you want to see her expose hannibal or for her to reconsider that will has been the brunt of a hostile, sociopathic conspiracy from an individual who enjoys making people pawns when he not eating and murdering them?

take jack for instance, he has been incredibly duped by hannibal. but as we saw from the season opener, somehow jack manages to put the pieces together to discover the monster behind the mask. it is a lot more interesting to see a character being pro-active even if it leads to their demise as in the case of beverly rather than watching them align themselves with someone new from moment to moment. that type of flip-flop makes the character seem weirdly unstable.
Flag
your "perhaps" idea gets to the main part of the weird-ass discussion that's turned the comments in this review into a bizarre chamber of dead ends and poseur hostilities: people are critiquing Alana SHE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED Alana's actions when they would be better off arguing that the show hasn't done a solid enough job setting up these actions for to make as much as sense as it/they/whomever probably should........i think it sort of may make sense in the narrative shortcuts the show uses, but i think one scene with alana and will in this episode that shows how really flabbergasted she was by will trying to kill hannibal through the orderly, and in an conscious not fegue state defense sort of way would've alleviated some of this ridiculousnesses, maybe? maybe. maybe?...maybe.
Flag
THANK YOU!

The reviewer does not seem to get that.
Flag
Flag
The change in alliances for her came when Will attempted to have Hannibal killed. I can imagine she probably started to question her insight into him given his level of manipulation and malevolence behind bars. Her connecting with Hannibal was to find comfort in each other and fill the void of the betrayal that Will left. Her initial defense is pulling straws but very reminiscent to the tactics a lawyer would use if there is overwhelming evidence against their client....and is seeking to create a reason of doubt.
Flag
you make valid points and yet i cannot ignore what i know about hannibal to justify the actions of hannibal's latest bed partner.

when you really claim to trust someone you give them the benefit of the doubt and you know that even when they seem to be doing the wrong thing that they would not be doing it unless it was for a greater good.

truth be told i hope will stays far, far away from that woman and allows hannibal to dine on her flesh until hannibal becomes as stuffed as as fatted pig. i think hannibal deserves her and she deserves hannibal. once she blindly stumbles upon who hannibal truly is and i say stumble because unlike beverly she is not going to actively seek out who hannibal is--but once she stumbles upon who hannibal really is she is going to mercurially change her allegiance once again with half-hearted apologies to will and jack. i know a strong woman when i see one and she is definitely an affront to decisive women who think with their brains and not their juicy parts.
Flag
Her character kind of reminds me of Andrea in the Walking Dead when she defends the Governor and is unable to be objective about who he really is.
Flag
i am only marginally familiar with the walking dead. it is not my taste on account of the blood and gore. when i watched it two or three times i really did not know for whom to root. then again, i was not all in for breaking bad either. the only thing i really watch on amc is marathons of the rifleman. oh, that chuck connors so tall strapping and blond. sometimes i forget he was the slavemaster on roots who raped a fifteen year old kizzy on her first night in her new surroundings.

it is still a surprise for me that i do not miss an episode of hannibal. i love hugh dancy and mads mikkelsen is in a class all by himself. unfortunately the hair and teeth that comprise the character who is the love interest of will and the dupe of hannibal does nothing for me. i sorely miss beverly katz and i was mesmerized by dr. dumarier, but the tart with no heart just leaves me limp.
Flag
Alana, is what we like to call 'an alibi f*ck.' No more, no less.
Flag
an 'alif*ack' then... I like this word
Flag
***casting palm branches hosannas in your direction***

please, stop, when you speak like this you get me all hot and bothered. the uttering of the naked truth is like an intoxicating aphrodisiac to me.

mercy, mercy, i beg of you i can only withstand so much. this delightful torture is surpassing sublime.
Flag
your points are valid and well articulated, but i must warn you that calling the actions of a fictional character dumb will cause you to be labeled a massage-a-nist. i know of where i speak...***dropping my hooded cloak to the waist to reveal the red welts upon my boyish chest and smooth back inflicted by the goon squad of this land.***

please gentle traveler, take my hand and leave this place. look at how the sky blackens. the harpies will be here any moment and you will be chained in the marketplace and scourged.

i too wish dr. dumarier was back but i fear that if she had stayed longer that hannibal would have committed an untoward act against her. as for that smart uber-chaste person with the crystal clear mind and great perception of cannibals, i would not mention her if a cannibal threatened to amputate my thigh and bake it in clay.
Flag
Really enjoyed this episode.. then again there isn't an episode of this show I haven't enjoyed. I only recently watched Hannibal Rising (By far the worst of the movies), so I never noticed the Samurai armour that Hannibal keeps until now. Has it been shown before? Despite the terrible movie, still a nice homage.

The reviewer touched on how Alana seduced Hannibal, which was indeed a nicer take than the alternative. It is also reminiscent of Red Dragon, where Reba is the aggressor towards Francis. Of course, in this case, Hannibal is merely using her on two fronts: To get back at Will, and as a very useful alibi.
Flag
Alana was drugged. that's why Hannibl took the glass. And there was something on the glass. That's why he snapped his fingers to see if she was under.
Flag
I don't know that I'd say "merely" using her. Absolutely, Hannibal's playing both a long and short game with Alana: he wants to use an affair with her to get back at Will, and he needs an alibi for the kidnapping of Gideon. But I also think he's always desired Alana. Their flirtation last season and the extra attention he gives her—like the reserve of home-brewed beer just for her—makes it seem (to me, at least) that Hannibal's interest in her extends beyond just Will. What he wants from her, or indeed what sex even means for Hannibal (just another way to collect people, perhaps?), is impossible to say, but I think it's more than just practical, even if those motivations are the most immediate.
Flag
Very fair, I didn't even consider that he might actually have some feelings for her based on all the horrible things he has done physically and psychologically to his "friends" thus far. Your analysis that he may indeed want her is very possible. Hannibal is by no means the standard psychopath, and in the original novels he does have feelings (and eventually acts on them) for Clarice. I'll still stick with my thought that he is using her more in this case merely because of convenient timing. He felt Jack getting close, and he quickly threw off the scent with proper food at his party, and a romp with Alana. Still, your logic is sound.
Flag
and if she blindly, reluctantly, probably accidentally at best because she certainly is not going to pursue any objective analysis, should happen to discover who hannibal is beyond the mask just as dr. dumarier did, will hannibal allow her to live because he's oh so fond of her beyond his need to hurt will?
Flag
the naysayers would hoot and holler that she is not being used by hannibal, but is showing how liberated and strong-willed and intelligent she is. this is not about hannibal at all. this all about a smart woman making even smarter choices in her selection of bed partners. hannibal? please. he's just a speck in the ovum.
Flag
I saw Will's antlers as a product of his self-awareness and guilt. Will is not delusional, as many of the characters have been led to believe. So when he ordered Hannibal's murder, although he was furious and grieving for Beverly, it was a rational choice.

But the guilt of making that choice manifests in Will's mind as those antlers. Will is aware he is letting the darkness that rules Hannibal rule him as well.
Flag
Given that Will gets out next episode based on the preview, I am just wondering why there isn't a conspiracy charge on him now as well since he directly had the orderly go after Hannibal and has not denied his role.
Flag
nothing proven
Flag
Yep, I read the antlers in the same way. I am still unconvinced that Will would send someone to kill Hannibal but hey, I guess that happened.
Flag
Okay Alana bye bye. I need Gillian to come back, since Beverly is gone I need a female character to actually like. I'm so hoping Abigail is still alive, someone had to be down in that basement of Hannibal's.
Miriam Lass will be interesting. And I have to say I love Chilton/Esparza but I so want more Barba on SVU so I'm hoping he's next to go. And I won't miss Gideon, I love Izzard but I just never got around to liking Gideon, not that you were suppose to really I guess but you know!?
Flag
i agree whole-heartedly that dr. maurier's intelligence and beauty and analytical skills are sorely missed. however, i would caution you: disliking a woman who would sleep with hannibal will have you pilloried as a massage-a-nist.

the only woman besides beverly who has believed in will is dr. dumarier. she risked her life to help will. who could not admire that sort of heroism?
Flag
Adore Dr Dumarier. And she's coming back according to rumors right?
As for Alana, I'm just so black n white. Either your team Will or team Hannibal in my book ;)
Flag
as much as i love gillian anderson and adore the character of dr. dumarier, i do not want her to return to the series only if it means that she is going to be another one of hannibal's hapless victims unlike his willing victim who could not wait to hike up her dress so hannibal could play doctor on her.

i must admit that i am team will but i try not to say it too loud or the hannibal devotees will have me burned at the stake. it is a weird atmosphere around here. in my comments i always delineate between the actors and the characters they portray. i have said several times that i am a fan of the actor mads mikkelsen and that i first fell in love with him when i saw in the bond film casino royale.

however, if you do not agree with every action of a particular fictional character you are maligned as a massage-a-nist. i guess that is a person who massages women. i can assure my detractors i have never willingly massaged a woman. although i would make an exception for dr. dumarier.

***why hello, dr. dumarier. how wonderful to see you. you look gorgeous as a blonde. that was some nasty business with hannibal. at least you did not fall into bed with him at the drop of your skirt. but i can see your parents raised you right. you are not simply a tart to be had by the first psychopath who crosses your path. by the bye, dr. dumarier, you would not happen to have any nude photos of agent mulder would you?***
More +
Flag
Agree on Gillian/Dumarier but I do think we'll see mostly apatizing mindgames than dropping of garments but if mentioned garments would drop I do hope it's for good reasons.
I would never scold you for whatever team you might root, writing that though - it feels good that we're on the same team. Agree that Mads is a brilliant actor and it's because of him (with a little help from author Harris & director Fuller of course) that it's so easy to dislike and get creeped out by Hannibal. We, the viewers, are lucky that we have the whole picture cause if I was on the show I don't think I would have such an easy job choosing sides & I'm so naive I would probably fall for Hannibal's charm and accept both a dinner and a massage *cough* if he offered

ps. I think you should send Bryan your script draft ;)
Flag
You must admit, it's going to be really fun to watch Alana lose her mind somewhere down the road when she finds out that Hannibal is the ripper... because she will.
Flag
stop, stop, i beseech of you. daring to suggest that a woman would have enough conscience to become ashamed, regretful or dismayed that she was rolling around in the hay willy-nilly with a violent psychopath will have you castigated as a massage-a-nist. don't do this. please don't this. retract these words while there is still time for pity's sake.
Flag
I shant and I won't!
And I don't even hint at the idea of her being 'ashamed, regretful or dismayed." She's going to lose her sh*t and THAT's what I'm looking forward to! ;)
Flag
***admiring smile***the saints be praised. just when i thought i was the only heretic left not afraid to stray from the pablum of the pack. vive la difference!
Flag
Ugh, pack pablum. So messy, so unnecessary. I prefer my heresy neat.
Flag
It's an overused quote for sure, but still, I think it fits perfectly with the whole Will-growing-antlers scenario and with Will having tried to murder Hannibal by proxy:
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."
Flag
I think out of anger and desperation Will has embraced the darker nature of his gift. He no longer fears the impressions made upon him by 'The Shrike' or Hannibal but instead using their own tools against Hannibal.

I have a theory:

I believe that Will is transforming into another Hannibal himself. Those of us who have watched Silence of the Lambs know the FBI use Hannibal to catch a serial killer but the tv version of him while crafty doesn't exactly have the gift Will has. Could the series end with Will becoming so lost in Hannibal that he becomes him instead?

Food for thought.....just as long as it isn't human.
Flag
I don't think it's possible. We know from the last Hannibal movie that the real Hannibal has become Hannibal since he was really young, so it's too late for Will to become the real Hannibal, the one who appears in silence of the lambs. Right?
Flag
if will becomes hannibal, then who does hannibal become?

can two sociopaths exist in the same timeline?
Flag
"the term sociopath hasn’t been used by any respected psychiatrist since 1968.”

Flag
yes, i do recall...1968 was when the word massage-a-nist became antiquated and anachronistic.
Flag
What a great episode !
First, classical music : beautiful sound for a beautiful tv show.
Second : Alana slept with Hannibal. Can you imagine what it'll do to her when she realizes Hannibal is a monster ?
Third : Jack is getting closer to the truth every minute.
I find interesting the roles reversal : Jack with Will and Alana against him.
This show is getting better with each episode. Magnificient.
Flag
if she were my sister and about to be ravished by a naked, toned, erect hannibal, i would have thrown myself between them...a man has to protect his sister's virtue at all costs.
Flag
***mental note: hmmm...i wonder what is hannibal's favorite dessert...wait for it...a blooming tart--not to be confused with the deep-fried blooming onion which is quite a tasty morsel.***
Flag
I think Hannibal will be able to use his relationship with Alana to provoke Will into making a mistake. Any assault on Hannibal would be seen as jealous rage rather than righteous anger.

Miriam is a welcome return. (Anna Chlumsky has the ability to scare you with her looks, just like Mads Mikelson.) I think he left her alive because he respected her. Hannibal only leaves those he respects intellectually alive. He must see her, like Will, as an intellectual equal.

Finally, why does no one see that tying flies is just square knots, the same skill used in suturing/stitching up patients by a surgeon. I would this that the flies would implicate Hannibal more than Will. He has the access to all of the victims tissues, and he would be an expert at tying knots in fishing lines.
Flag
People are being WAY too hard on Alana. Can you imagine the psychological SHOCK of recognizing that your former lover was a serial killer????

The evidence was so strong that it would really take someone in denial to think otherwise-or someone who knew Hannibal's true nature, like Gillian Anderson. Beverely was gathering evidence, as part of a deal so that Will would help her with cases. But she believed him to be guilty until she started finding evidence that showed otherwise.

Her sleeping with Hannibal is not about betraying the good guy and sleeping with the enemy. As far as she knows Hannibal is Will's friend, and WILL is the depraved/sadistic/sick one.

And wasn't she still looking out for Will's best interests EVEN after she found out what she thought he'd done???? Blaming Jack for what happened, trying to protect and help Will in the trial. She's really the only one in the show who looked out for him, from the beginning. Warning Jack to stop using him because it posed a danger to Will.

But the final straw is when Will tries to kill her friend Lecter. To her view Lecter is Will's friend too. This is the breaking point for her.

I don't see this as a betrayal. It's self preservation. If Will is capable of killing Hannibal, isn't he also capable of killing her???? Of killing even those closest to him????

Food for thought anyway.And btw, this talk of 'whore' is just sexist. It's the usual double standard and does not apply here anyway.

If a man has lots of sex he's a 'stud', but a woman is a 'whore'. Please.
More+
Flag
I don't think she is a whore but "weak" and I am tired of emotionally/mentally weak female characters. She seems to be using sex as a coping mechanism imo since I didn't see this build up of attraction between her and Hannibal. One line of dialogue last season about why they never got together is not enough relationship building, nor is mentioning a longterm friendship/mentorship this episode. She initially seemed to want a romantic relationship with Will but now that she thinks Will is a conscious attempted killer then she has to cling to Hannibal. Why the need for a man? Can't she stand strong on her own? or just have sex for the pure pleasure of it rather then it (seemingly) being a reaction to Will's actions…..
It's hard for me to explain but it makes her look weak imo rather then a strong sexually independent woman (just my opinion)
Flag
...Will is a conscious attempted killer....there's no "thinking" about it.
Flag
whoa, whoa, not defending sexually active women and questioning their choice of romantic partners will make you out to be a massage-a-nist. being a massage-a-nist is worse than being a murdering cannibal.
Flag
the hookup was so icky. dont blame alana though. suce a docuhy thing to do on hannibals part.
Flag
icky as in it felt like hannibal had morphed into a rapist along with being a cannibal or icky as in there are times when a person can go to bed with the wrong individual and literally regret it for the rest of their natural lives?
Flag
Post-traumatic sex. I don't see how that makes her weak.
It worked perfectly well in 'The Following'.
Flag
this is really cold/harsh of me...but the fact that she was traumatized so easily makes her seem mentally/emotionally weak. I can see her being upset but "traumatized" is overly emotional...

LOL @ "The Following"~I only watched season 1 and have no idea why I stuck with that series for the entire season
Flag
is that the series with that handsome james purefoy from the hbo series rome? oh my god, if he is not a sight for sore eyes. he is such an intense actor. i find myself in my bed at night just thinking about james purefoy's--intensity...
Flag
not exactly. if a man has lots of sex...he's a tired stud. of course, a few bottles of gatorade and the love machne is back in circulation.
Flag
I was both terrified for Alana and totally envious of her... yes Hannibal is a cannibalistic serial killer but if you don't know that, the guy is like perfect: he is hot, has a great accent, cooks, plays weird piano, has money and probably he is great in the sack.
Oh Will, you have become such an interesting character on who can actually play Hannibals game ... or at least I hope so.
So why did Hannibal let Miriam live? out of respect?
Flag
I worry Hannibal has left her alive all this time solely to torture Jack and make him hesitant of every action he takes in pursuit of almost every killer, as well as willing to take unusual risks like in the case of pushing Will too far. The fact she isn't dead or appearing to be missing of any organs seems to go against so much of his usual MO.
Flag
I also was hugely impressed by Jimmy and especially Brian's subdued and slightly horrified (if still professional) reaction to realizing that Will was never the killer. There was no copycat, only the Ripper.

I'm not sure what Hannibal's endgame for that is, since exonerating Will puts a lot of shrewd and now even more careful forensic eyes on his murders and Will's frame-up, but I do imagine he's quite looking forward to a confrontation with Will now that he's out of the hospital.
Flag
I completely missed how he got the cuisse de Gideon. Help???

Flag
Staff
He abducted Gideon from the hospital. Removed the leg off screen.
Flag
Does it make you curious what motivated Gideon to taste the dish? Fear? Curiosity? Hopelessness? Propriety?
Flag
Defiance. I actually think that acquiescing to Hannibal like he did was a gesture of defiance.
Flag
hmmm...defiance...then i think i will borrow a page from gideon's book. i shall become...the defiant one...
Flag
Probably a combination of curiosity and fear.
Flag
Did Bella die? Jack seems less than bereft. Did Mads have some work done on his nose. Older pix show him with a stronger nose.
Flag
***donning my stiff collar again***

see here, see here. we are not cannibals and we do not suggest that a real actor as opposed to a fictional character has found a flaw in their appearance and has engaged in plastic surgery. those older pix were probably proliferated by the same type of people who would call an unchaste woman...unchaste.
Flag
Staff
Bella's still alive.
Flag
Leading Jack to Miriam was basically Hannibal saying:

Flag
lmao so true!!
Flag
If I recall correctly, the antlers growing out of Will started the moment he realized that from where he was, the only way he could stop Hannibal was to have him killed. Until then, he could see into the darkness of other people and he sometimes got lost in it, but it was never his own. As he consciously decided that Hannibal should die, regardless of how righteous of an act it was given everything he's done, his own darkness took root inside of him. And it is a simultaneously beautiful and terrifying imagery, the way the antlers are growing taller like the branches of a tree.
Flag
That's what I thought too. It's his 'becoming' like Hannibal moments.
Flag
hm, I found this interview by Bryan Fuller - http://www.avclub.com/article/hannibals-bryan-fuller-another-shocking-ending-202963

It sheds more light on the story and their reasoning behind the Alana/Hannibal thing.

"AVC: Sexual stuff aside, what made Alana the right character to end up as Hannibal’s ally and Jack the right character to end up on Will’s side?

BF: It was really because of that romance, and the romance between Will and Alana as an unfulfilled thing. It felt right, because that path is blocked by Will’s action and she had that history with Hannibal and we played with that flirtation in the first season where Hannibal even asks her, “Why didn’t we have an affair?” and she’s like, “Because you were already having an affair.” So we knew that there was some interest there, and then in the sixth episode, because of their mutual loss, and they’ve been in this throuple with Will Graham in some respect, and that element of the throuple dies in Alana’s mind, and then she’s just left with Hannibal. They share so much in common in terms of how it’s presented. She feels that both her and Hannibal care so much about Will, and her feelings for Will are very easily and quickly transferred onto Hannibal as well as being genuinely earned by him, because, from her point of view, he’s a sexy European guy in a three-piece plaid suit, he’s very smart and knows how to cook so... [Beat.] I would. Wouldn’t you? [Laughs.] You know?"

it still makes no sense to me ...
More+
Flag
then by extrapolation...will should have his turn to sex up hannibal too. talk about sleeping with the enemy. hmmm...a bisexual cannibal? how can that be? we all know that well-dressed cannibals will break every law of god and man, but sausage jousting...i will not hear of it.
Flag
OMG Alna you stupid bitch.
i used to like Alana before all of this, but i don't blame her if Hannibal wasn't a cannibal killer then he would be a catch.
Flag
***testing out what it feels like to slip into noelrk's stern, accusatory parochial demeanor***

see here, see here. how dare you call that nameless, uh, virgin...a stupid bitatch. she is no such thing. she is as pure as the driven snow. she could be sacrificed to the island volcano god based upon her irreproachable chastity.

she has ever logical reason to want to roll around with hannibal. he is also not of besmirched reputation and is the best thing to the field of medicine since albert schweitzer.

when we get to the point where we are calling fictional characters out for their transgressions and bad decisions...well, when we reach this point...we have succumbed to the level of cannibals...and god but knows we would never put cannibals on a pedestal of adoration.

***giggling. that was kinda fun, but wearing that stiff unyielding collar sort of chaffs my neck. i guess i'll have to continue to be my own happy naked pagan self. sackcloth and ashes is just not look a good look on me.***
Flag
I am happy that the pace is moving much faster and things are getting very exciting. If Miriam turns out NOT to be of any help then there is a possibility that Hannibal wanted her to be found. If she can help then it does not make sense if Hannibal is the one who orchestrated it.

Perhaps Hannibal does really want to be Will's friend but I thought it is kind of stupid for him to allow Will to go free now. Will would be even more dangerous to him if he is out and free. Perhaps his own ego feels there is nothing Will can do. It would prove to be his downfall later.

I love Alana which makes the bed scene even more sick for me ! Sigh ! The bad guy always get the girl even on shows like Hannibal.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members