A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E03: "Hassun"

One of my favorite things about the first two episodes of the season that I didn't touch on too much in my reviews, but that many of you mentioned in the comments, was the pleasure of the eye mural killer being spread across two episodes. I generally don't slight shows for employing procedural plots, or even for just being procedurals; like with all things, if something is well-executed, then there's no reason to dismiss it. Early in Season 1, Hannibal struggled to elevate its procedural stories into anything more than just thematic parallels to its serialized plot, which often made them feel a little narratively under-baked (looking at you, "Amuse-Bouche"). This was in no small part because they had to be wrapped up in a single episode.

But as the first season progressed, Hannibal showed a marked improvement in merging the narrative and the thematic, and the episodes became more unified and enjoyable as a result. So the decision to spread the eye mural killer and now Will's admirer across across multiple episodes is a smart structural shift for the show to make. While Bryan Fuller has said the show will still do standalone episodes, this "set up a killer in one episode, and then we don't pay him off until three episodes later" approach gives things a bit more of an investigative feel, even more so when we're not entirely sure who the killer is.

But everything I just said was more of a macro-level response to "Hassun." From a more episodic perspective, this installment—more than "Sakizuki" and certainly more than "Kaiseki"—felt like the official start of Season 2. Fuller has said that "Kaiseki" was more like Season 1, Episode 14 than Season 2, Episode 1, and ultimately, "Sakizuki" felt like a transitional episode between Season 1 and Season 2. I don't mean any of that in a negative way—not at all—I just want to point out that between Will's trial and the arrival of his admirer, I feel like we're now firmly in Season 2 territory, as a lot of the impact of Season 1's events and themes are being felt by the characters, and by the show.

Take, for example, the suggestion I made in my review of the Season 1 finale about how Will's response to that all the death and destruction arguably would/should mirror our own response to the copious amounts of violence and gore we consume in our media, both fictional and (sadly) non-fictional. Will's struggle to cope and Hannibal's implication that we, too, should be struggling to cope helped to set the show apart from its other serial killer TV brethren.

Did you notice how "Hassun" flipped this on us in the prosecutor's opening arguments? Instead of the show's perspective of trauma and coping, the prosecutor, Marion Vega (Maria del Mar), put forth the idea that Will Graham became violent because he saw so many horrible things that he just snapped or was inspired by them (or wanted to outdo the originals, as per Chilton's diagnosis). It was the "violent media is making us more violent" argument that we see attached to video games, movies, and, yes, certain television series, including and arguably, Hannibal.

It's a tricky needle for Hannibal to thread. The show couldn't convincingly depict Will's fragile mental state without showing all this horrible stuff, but that horrible stuff is also being glorified as artistic by critics and audiences, which lends an air of cultural legitimacy to the proceedings, and that, in turn, makes it seem like the show could be privileging murder and cannibalism. It's made all the worse by the fact that Hannibal is dapper and charming (and, based on some comments, the only character some of you really care about). Look no further than the discussions about the show here on this site that have made similar points.

Hannibal presented those discussions in "Hassun," and cleverly did so through a trial, where we expect characters to explain things, and to argue in support of their explanations. So the choice to have a copycat come into the mix at this point is doubly sharp since the copycat is doing exactly what the prosecutor is arguing that Will did: After finding inspiration in violence, the copycat committed a violent act in the model of what he or she knows of Will. It's a house of mirrors of media effects arguments, and while Hannibal obviously has a bias in its favor, its willingness to internalize and present the counter arguments to its merits makes for good drama.

À LA CARTE

– I loved the Will and Alana stuff this week. I mean, I hated watching Alana say that she only has a professional interest in Will, but I loved the pain that both Dancy and Dhavernas put into that scene, followed by their hand-holding at the end. "What do you want?" "I want to save you." WARM FUZZY FEELINGS.

– "I think I opened your mail." Will's lawyer, Leonard Brauer (Shawn Doyle), was great. Slick, funny, and like Jimmy and Brian, he was just far enough outside Hannibal's depressing doldrums without also feeling like he was from a different show.

– Speaking of Brian and Jimmy, they were on fire this week. I enjoyed Brian being flabbergasted that people were seriously considering the notion that Will is maybe innocent, while Jimmy's regret over not getting a stool sample from Will was priceless.

– I have a theory about who Will's admirer is, and while it's based largely on casting choices, there were a couple of tidbits in this episode that I felt made gestures to the killer's identity.

– Recent episode promos have me seriously concerned about Beverly. I'm really hoping it's just a fake-out from NBC's marketing department. PLEASE BE A FAKE-OUT FROM NBC'S MARKETING DEPARTMENT.

– "I shoot Mr. Sykes once, collapsing lungs, tearing through his heart’s aorta and pulmonary arteries. He will die believing we were friends. It is his last thought. His death isn't personal. He is a merely the ink from which flows my poem. My tribute. This is my design."

– "This killer wrote you a poem. Are you going to let his love go to waste?"

– Music selections of the week! As Will and Hannibal dressed for court, we were treated to a little Don Giovanni with the aria "Dalla sua pace la mia dipende," a fitting choice, considering the lyrics. When Hannibal and Jack were having drinks following Jack's testimony, the scene was scored with the third movement of Beethoven's Piano Trio, Op. 97, commonly called the "Archduke Trio," and a favorite of mine. Finally, the music playing in the big lead-up to the judge being strung up was Chopin's Prelude in E minor, Op. 28, no. 4. Fun fact: It was the piece Chopin requested be played at his own funeral.

– I love love love love love love loved the clothes this week. Hannibal's suit at the start of the episode, as he and Jack were having a drink, was perhaps my favorite thing Hannibal's worn so far. The winner of the hour, however, was Freddie in what has to be a nod to Rosslind Russell's outfits in His Girl Friday.

Or am I just completely crazy?

How did "Hassun" taste going down?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

95 Comments
Comments (95)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Not only is justice blind, but it's mindless and heartless." perfect quote to the dead judge's body
Flag
I thought it was established the Hannibal was the copy cat but going by some of the post here apparently there is a question. Okay I believe it's Hannibal's attempt to free or at the very least keep Will from being executed. He wants the game to continue and because he's coo coo for coco puffs. He wants to keep his friend around. Didn't expect him to kill the judge to force a reset. Now Will can use the alternative killer theory again and we get to sit on edge thinking about Crawfords words in the first episode.
Flag
Staff
Hi all! Thought I would share this: I recorded a podcast with two folks at Sound On Sight about this episode, and you can listen to it right here. So, if you've ever been curious as to what I sound like (hint: ridiculous), now's your chance!
Flag
Great podcast

I've chatted with klotensen about my theories on the latest two deaths. Highlight the black out part to see my guesses. These are just guesses but I don't want people to say "spoiler" (even if they are just guesses)

1. booby trapped body: not done by hannibal since they weren't friends
  • asylum worker who gave Will that meal that prompted his first recalled memory. What better place for a fan of a serial killer to work then a hospital for the criminally insane
  • abel gideon: is he really dead
  • lawyer: just because he had access to sykes (?) and he had such fabulous lines
  • dolarhyde: I don't think so but it would be cool (imagine if he is a fan of Will and Will, angered over Beverly's death (sorry but I think she is going to die soon), sends him around to kill Hannibal. Obviously it doesn't work but it would cool when we get to the Red Dragon part of the story, Hannibal can tell Will "remember when you sent that killer after me, well guess what…"
2. Judge
  • Hannibal: the judge dissed him and the kill had a dramatic touch to it; also Hannibal likes to mimic other serial killers so he mimicked the kill of the booby trapped house victim
  • all the rest I have listed above
More +
Flag
Staff
First bullet point is my theory.
Flag
Looks pretty much spoiler free to me!
Also suspicious: the lawyer's behavior towards Alana in front of Will. He was way over the line IMO.
Flag
Thanks, this is fun!
Flag
Staff
Glad you enjoyed it. Hoping they'll invite me back.
Flag
Here's what I think:
I don't think there's an admirer - not saying it isn't possible - but i don't think it's a coincidence that the "admirer" would start killing at the exact same date as Will's court date.
I think it's all Hannibal's doing.
Hannibal went through great lengths to frame Will. I don't believe he'd want him back on the outside, because all the cases about "the crimes that Will committed" would be unsolved and given the opportunity, Will, will prove that Hannibal's the killer/cannibal.
He testified as a defence witness - which is an angle he's playing of-course.
From what we've heard, that by killing the judge, it would have them restarting the entire trial.
I think he wants to break Will, and by having him re-living what's happening in the courtroom, just might do that.
What's confusing me is... why creating the illusion of an admirer? Was it for the sake of restarting trial? Or was it to strengthen the prosecution's case, with the idea that Will's influence is strong, so he needs to be dealt with?
Flag
I totally agree with you, you wrote my thoughts... and I think Hannibal created the admirer just as an excuse to confess Will he's the real killer (not because he wants to be caught just for rid his subconscious ) but at the same time confuse Will to accept Hannibal's friendship.
Flag
Don't you all remember Will did his empathy thing and the victim in the house that exploded felt that the killer was his friend. Will hasn't been wrong yet and Hannibal wouldn't be that guy's friend. I may be wrong but I'm 99% sure it was not Hannibal. Serial killers have fans and I think it is a fan of Will who did it.
Flag
Wait so, you actually think the copycat is someone OTHER than Hannibal? That would make no sense to me, but then again, this show does have a knack for ferreting psychopaths from the wood works.
Flag
I am 99% sure the victim in the house that exploded was killed by someone other than Hannibal. Remember Will did his empathy thing and said the victim thought they were friends until the end. I think that was a vital line of dialogue.
Flag
So who could the admirerer be? Because only those familiar with the case know the kill details. So unless you're saying someone on the team it would have to be Hannibal.
Flag
highlight my blacked out spoiler alert work around near the top of the article. The first bullet point. That person is likely a Will fan and would know details of the case….just my guess but I'd put some money on it and/or the second bullet point (less confident of that one). I'm trying to avoid potential spoilers and I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure on the first bullet points for both kills.
Flag
Absolutely! I'm not sure it would ever even occur to Hannibal to shoot someone. I think all of Will's instincts are right about the copycat.
Flag
Staff
Will's rarely wrong as he explains how a killer things and operates...so....why would Hannibal be pals with the bailiff?
Flag
I could've sworn in the previews for this weeks episode that was the balif eating with Hannibal and if it was a means to an end. Hannibal being the ultimate intelligent psychopath would befriend him.
Flag
This show dude and this season wooooooah
Flag
Yes this episode did feel like wow we are in season 2 the previous episodes felt like a beautiful prelude .
Will's lawyer feels like a character from a different show and I love it cause he mixes things up a bit.
Alana and Will were like super adorable this week they have a romance worthy of an opera.
Yeah why didn't they take a stool sample? It sounds disgusting but it does make sense... at least to me.
Whatelse? ahhh yes this show has an amazing soundtrack I love it. Damn I love so many things about this show!
Flag
You're not crazy, Noel. Not a single bit.
After reading the review and all the comments it seems I have to re-watch this episode ASAP.
Flag
So, I know we know that Hannibal's responsible for all of Will Graham's alleged crimes, but after re-watching this week's episode, I can't help but think the prosecutor's argument has some significant logical holes. If, as she argues, Graham is an intelligent psychopath who used his job with the FBI as a cover, then wouldn't it seem odd that there is no evidence of any murders BEFORE Cassie Boyle and no evidence of first-time sloppiness in that crime?
Flag
Copycat's probably Hannibal. He wanted a mistrial and to keep Will alive but also keep him locked up.
Flag
Oh yeah, the copycat. So, I'm with the à la carte note, a notable actor in a very small snip of screen time earlier this season was conspicuous enough to pique my suspicion. And several details dropped in this episode accord with that character. So, it's either a bit of a giveaway or the most elaborate and subtle smoke screen misdirection I've ever seen on television.

I suppose it's possible that this character could be important in some other way, but I'm skeptical.
Flag
Freddie's whole look was the business. However, you can't wear hats (or any type of headgear) in a courtroom. Wearing a haijab or yamuke or any kind of religious gear can be banned too.
Flag
I like how Will seems to be getting darker. He picked Hannibal's testimony over Alana's choice method of defense. Does Will have "followers" (not like that other stupid show but like how real serial killers have fans)? I think Beverly is going to die because I think they are going for a --what's the word?…double fake out. Most trailers are misleading but we know that so what if they switch things up and make it real…regardless of my reasoning, I think Beverly dies. I don't want her to die but I think she dies in the next episode or two. That may also make Will vengeful (long way from weepy frail Will). Something is up with Will's lawyer--he has the coolest lines---maybe he is the copycat.
Is Dr. Abel Gideon still alive?
Flag
I'm not entirely certain of Will's reasoning, though I'm sure it will come into focus later, but I'm not convinced he chose Hannibal's testimony because it stood a better chance of acquitting him. Although he has acquiesced to his lawyer, Will has resisted the insanity accusations all along. Allowing his lawyer to change their defense tactic mid-trial is irreversible. You can't go back to an unconsciousness defense once you've attempted to cast doubt on his actions. I'm not sure Will ever expected Hannibal's (and his lawyer's) ploy to work, but it does FORCE a different kind of trial, one invested in Will's complete innocence not just incapacitation.
Flag
Justice is not only blind, it's also heartless and mindless.

Awesome line!
Flag
Yeah it was. But I had a thought that Hannibal was distracting from or possibly not aware of the other symbolism: Head vs. Heart. Hannibal seems to be having a momentary messy battle between the two. Logically he should be paving the way to Will's death sentence, but he's going with his (dubious) heart and trying to "save him" perhaps with unexpected assistance from an outsider.
Flag
The more Will gets Beverley to investigate, the more danger she is in. I liked her so I really hope she don't die. I thought I seen Shawn Doyle somewhere before, now I realized it was from Big Love.

I am kind of confused about Hannibal's intentions.

1) Does he want Will to be guilty or innocent? I thought he wanted Will to be a scapegoat for his murder as Will was getting too close to finding out about him.

2) So now does he want to free Will so he can continue to toy with Will? Or on some level he does treat Will as his equal or "friend" as he thinks Will is almost as smart as him?

3) Does he really believe now that Will does not think he is a killer anymore?

What do you guys think?
Flag
However twisted it is, I think that Hannibal sincerely feels a friendship with Will. He misses him. He cares about him. His sick desire to watch Will's extraordinary mind deteriorate last season and grapple with "reality" this season, his compulsion to manipulate people leads him to the situation he's in, and I think his emotional response has surprised him a little. I don't think he wants Will to be convicted, and I'm CERTAIN he doesn't want Will to die. All in all, I think Dr. du Maurier has him pegged.
Flag
I am also really confused with Hannibal now. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want Will out of the picture because he's someone that challenges his intellect and probably he feels that Will can be the only one that could really see and understand him. I guess Hannibal sees Will as a friend but in HIS way and not in the way most people think of friendship, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if at some point he tried to have Will completely burnt and destroyed. I mean, that's the tricky and also exciting thing about Hannibal, you can't be sure about anything he's about to do. He seems to have no feelings but then he starts caring about Will and on the other hand, he may care for someone and still not hesitate to kill them!! I JUST DON'T KNOW what he'll do next and I like it better this way, anything is possible!
Flag
I am not so confused. Hannibal did set up Will in season one, but I think the set up was to "help him see". Keeping everyone in the dark about Will's NMDA receptor encephalitis and actually using the illness to push him to the brink of destruction was all part of the plan. He never planned to kill Will but to "save him" and mold him into the person he wanted him to be. With Will trapped in the psych ward, isolated, since he won't talk to Chilton and almost everyone else except Dr. Du Maurier believing he actually committed the murders, Hannibal has him right where he wants him... under his influence. Will still believes Hannibal set him up, but now has changed his tactics to make Hannibal believe he won. He will draw Hannibal closer into revealing himself , but he runs a real risk that Hannibal will use his inherent instability against him. Will zoning out and retreating back to images of him fishing with the undertones of all the bodies drifting by (unnoticed by him) and the image of the man stag keeps popping up, who is trying to catch whom? Hannibal seems to be enjoying being the replacement profiler, but he always keeps something out of the profile and Will sees it and knows he's doing it on purpose. The new copycat (I think it is Hannibal pretending to be a copycat of his previous copycat killer) obviously did not like the way the trial was going for Will and "saved him" by forcing the mistrial.
More +
Flag
Yeah, I see your point. The truth is I really enjoy that now that Will is in prison, his mind is more clear and free from all those doubts that tormented him during the previous season and also how he starts playing Hannibal in his turn! Ironically,It seems that Hannibal's desire to mold him into the person he wanted him to be, as you mentioned, is going to be his doom in the end and I look forward to see all these mind games that will lead into that!
Flag
I agree with what you mentioned. Will intention is very clear. I know he wants to let Hannibal think that he won but do you think he succeeded. Does Hannibal believe Will?
Flag
Staff
Pride goeth before destruction, so, yes, I think Hannibal is totally buying what Will is selling now.
Flag
I suspected Hannibal was the copycat killer until Will said the bailiff trusted the killer right to the end. So I guess it has to be someone working at the courthouse. Can't wait to find out. This show is so freaking good.
Flag
Will said the bailiff trusted the killer, but did it have to be someone working at the courthouse?
Flag
The reason I think it's an employee is because whoever it is has access to the evidence. He (or she) used Will's knife (the same one used to cut off Abigail's ear), was friends with the bailiff, and was able to kill the judge in the courtroom. If it's not a courthouse employee, then it could be a police officer, or someone else who works in the courthouse, like a DA or defense lawyer, but I don't know how a lawyer could get the evidence out of wherever they keep it locked up.

I don't think it has to be someone working at the courthouse (even though I said "has to be" lol) that was just me speculating. They could totally surprise us... maybe it's someone in the FBI!
Flag
hannibal is a great tv shows. i love how hannibal himself focus's on the small details as in even his bowls and kitchen utensils and everything in his house and office is just so elegant and how he takes just care in his suits and style. i feel like the show itself replicates that attention to finer details. i was thinking that hannibal was the copy cat killer to just take attention away from will. i always though hannibal put all the blame on will to take the heat away from himself and cause he just wanted to play games. i still think hes doing the same thing just playing clever games and influencing everything as part of his own amusement.
Flag
The copycat killer has to be someone deeply involved with the trial. In connection to both deaths in this episode it was stated that there were no signs of forced entry, so it was someone that both the bailiff and judge knew and thought they trusted. Presumably it has to be either the defence or prosecution lawyer.
Flag
Like always, awesome episode, beautiful, smart, elegant. :)
Flag
"I wanted to dispel your doubts once and for all."

"Doubts about what?"

"Me. [...] I want you to believe in the best of me, just as I believe in the best of you."

The quiver of Hannibal's voice when he said that, just pulled at my heart's strings.

I'm liking this new format of Hannibal's episodes. Having two episodes to flush out the procedural stuff makes this show not feel like its being rushed. It worked for the Justice League animated series, and it certainly is working now for this show.
Flag
It's Hannibal who wants "his admirer" back.

Flag
Best lines:
-I think I opened your mail!
-We should have taken a stool sample!
Chilton is annoying clueless;but he's right in one thing "he likes to play God"(Even though it's Hannibal not Will.) Hannibal consider himself "a Creator" ,"this is my design". That 's the whole point of "the Eye". Hannibal said to the serial killer " what if god see you (a creator, within his design) looking right back at him (like a mirror).
"I wanted to you believe in the best of me". Sometimes Hannibal reminds me his dependent patient who only wanted to be his friend. Hannibal "suffers" from Will's absense.(But at the same time like to challenge Will's intelligence and tease him with his actions. See me ,notice me ,I can manipulate you ,just as anyone else ,but notice me, admire my work.Hannibal is dissapointed when Will refuse his gift, this copycat.
Some people will never learn not to waste a good poem , but Hannibal will teach them right.(WTF judge scene!)
How much it would cost a slick lawyer like that?
Flag
"I think I opened your mail"- My favorite line of the season, possibly the whole series.

When he was on the witness stand, I thought Chilton was talking about himself, moreso than Will or Hannibal. I kinda wonder if Chilton is the copycat, but that wouldn't work with the books.
Flag
I'm confident Chilton's not the copycat, but I think the irony of his testimony was supposed to be pretty brassy. Obviously, Chilton has no sense of self-perspective.
Flag
Really chilling episode. Mads stole this episode for me. Like, it's amazing how much he makes you believe he really does love Will while actively laying the plans for his destruction. Will and Alana gave me fuzzy feelings as well.
Flag
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but this didn't grab me as much as the two previous episodes.

The wardrobe department had a lot of fun this week.
I particularly like the way Chilton tried to come of as dapper as Hannibal but failing miserably, playing with his silver capped cane.
Flag
Eeheehee. Raul is playing Chilton with such perfection. I fucking love to hate the guy. He just oozes low self-esteem issues and overcompensation. He wants to be powerful, so he reigns over the deranged like a petty, sadistic, gossipy tyrant. He thinks he's the smartest person in the room, but he's painfully and laughably not. He wants to flaunt his wealth and class, but he comes off crass, clumsy, and ridiculous (pimp cane). The scene with the pretentious oversized magnifying glass cemented for me that he had no real friends and the scene where he commented on women's "panty girdles" made it apparent he's never "known" a woman in his life.
Flag
Fantastic episode...such an intense game of Cat and Mouse. WOW
Flag
Awesome episode. This episode was particularly beautiful.

The situation does make me think that the knowledge of Hannibal by Will and Will's needing to raise his game might in fact be the thing that pushes him further over near to the side of Hannibal. He is becoming far too methodic in his manipulations. Granted he needs to. But is it something that he is no going to be able to spring back from. And I kind of like that, granted he might be the key to catch Hannibal. But I could see at some point in the future that he becomes like Hannibal and perhaps Hannibal's better.

The killer. The obvious person to point to would be Hannibal himself. However if that is so he has learned from Will's ability to spot his work and has figured out to leave his ego out of his work. The death before dismemberment and all of that could simply be to throw everyone including Will off the scent. But I think Will is not falling for it. Plus the people killed are too in the wheelhouse of Hannibal for otto be anyone else. It may be. It May be Dr. De Maurier. But I doubt it, she rejected Hannibal and she knew what that would do to him and what he would do to her. My guess with her is that she is on the run. Plus on another show.

Freddie, ahhh Freddie. I have been in a lot of courtrooms. Lots. Nothing would scream to even a lay person that I am a giant liar more than that hat. I mean really, you just should have worn a sign that said "I am a huge liar with an ax to grind ". The dismissal of her by Will's lawyer was masterful.

Beverly is going to die, my guess is that it is going to be in an episode to two. She is going to do something stupid, because she doesn't recognize boundaries and she is going to stumble upon Hannibal and he is going to have to kill her. Now this might be the case that gets Will's dismissed. But I am not sure about that. Will might be in the cell till the end of the season. Which I have to say this is probably the best prison plot we have seen all year. Sure beats Ava's stupid prison story, Carrie's from Banshee and the rest of them. It is a kudos to Hugh, he pulls it off well.

The hospital psych's eval was remedial and should have been easily dismissed by anyone with even a remote ounce of competence. His profile was more about himself than anything he said about Will. He has an underlying, well it isn't exactly underlying, he wears it rather obviously with his pomposity and desire to be something more than he actually is. He wants to be linked to something great at the cost of inflating their stature in the case of Will and imprinting a pathology on a patient in case of the Doctor in last season.

Bloom and Will are interesting as well. But too emotional for the other things that are going right now.

And Cynthia Nixon is so very out of her depth. It is kind of painful to watch.
More+
Flag
I like Ava's prison story.

Flag
Really? What about it do you like? Because you are the only one that I have come across that doesn't think it is a giant waste of time.
Flag
I don't know. I just like it. I like how it is unfolding. I'm sure the writers have something special planned for Ava.
Flag
Mr. Kirkpatrick, I agree that the show is tackling the idea of violent inspiration, but I also think it's crucial that while the shape the violence takes has often been inspired—either Hannibal's own spins on Hobbs' murders, Abel Gideon's recreations at the prodding of Chilton, or the current copycat's tributes to "Will's" kills—the motivationis independent of that inspiration. Hannibal was a serial killer long before and perfectly self-sufficient at finding his own inspiration when it isn't presented before him. Gideon too was already a murderer, though his secondary spree could more reasonably be attributed to Chilton's unprofessional, unethical manipulation. While it has yet to be confirmed, I anticipate the psychology of the copycat to reinforce the idea that he/she was already poised to kill and Graham's trial merely provides the most recent occasion.

Will is, in fact, the test case for the corrupting influence of exposure to violence, and though all around him (excepting Hannibal for obvious reasons) believe in this narrative, it isn't true. Despite his empathy disorder, his viral encephalitis, and his prolonged, traumatic exposure to some of the most inordinately gruesome murders, Will doesn't kill anybody.
Flag
But Will does shoot Abel Gideon, at point blank range, without any threat to himself (i.e., completely against FBI procedures).

I don't want to discuss the result of Will's actions so much as I have always thought they brushed over that moment in Will's development.
I have a feeling this aspect of the character will come into play in the coming weeks.
Flag
You're right. I think this is another long-form discussion Hannibal is having: what motivates us to kill? I think most people, given the right circumstances, could take another person's life. Will's first is Garret Jacob Hobbs, both in self-defense and to save Abigail, and it floods him with different emotions. He later kills Abel Gideon, who has shown clear intention and capacity to kill Alana Bloom, in the full heat of his encephalitis and immediately following a seizure. Whatever the FBI procedures from the perspective on an onlooker, including us, Will perceived a threat. His precise perception at that moment isn't extended to the viewer, but it is possible (likely, even) that Will would have been willing to kill in the less immediate defense of Alana.

In any descriptive (rather than prescriptive) account of human societies, violence seems intrinsic. Under radically different guises, humans have been killing each other for many millenia. For most a moral prohibition regulates the circumstances which are considered by the larger society to be acceptable, but that doesn't entirely address the psychological fallout of these actions.
Flag
Fun thing is if they had gotten a stool sample there would be more evidence against Will.
Flag
I knew this, and it STILL didn't occur to me.

The moment last season when Abigail realizes that she and her mother have also been eating the girls all along was another of the show's nested Sophoclean ironies, a presage of the horror nearly every character on the show will feel when Hannibal is eventually unmasked.
Flag
I know really hope they show everyone realizing this.
Flag
I imagine when that occurs it will play out like the ending of Ace Ventura Pet Detective.
Flag
*SPOILERS*

I've heard there will be three big deaths in this season. So I feel your feelings about Beverly is correct. I'm sure she is going to die. Maybe episode five. (Don't read the little episode summaries for upcoming episodes if you want to be spoiler free. but if you don't care... check out http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/hannibal/listings/ )
Flag
Beautiful, as always...when Hannibal and Will are dressing...how much can I say...
I´m soooooooo into Alana´-Will thing...his face when she said she hasn´t got love feelings for him... OMG
One last thing:
Current sexual orientation: Locked in that cell with Will ;-)
Flag
considering all titles are of Japanese food and that she was mentioned in the first scene after the big fight in the first episode of the season. I think the killer is Lady Murasaki.
Flag
Also in the real world Lady Murasaki was a writer and a poet.
Flag
Interesting. I personally think it could be Abigail Hobbs. We didn't see her body. It's possible Hannibal convinced her to cut off her ear to frame Will, and sent her to a safe house possibly with Lady Murasaki. And while this trial is going on Lady Murasaki ends up training Abigail to become a better serial killer.

But then again, this is all speculation.
Flag
I would gladly have Abigail a.k.a. Murderbaby back as the copycat, as I love her, but I think it would ruin the devastating heft of season 1 if she suddenly appeared sans ear. It would also be too much unbelievable sappy behavior on the part of Hannibal, a psychopath, to nab an ear and set her free to come back and threaten to expose him in the future. I think he shed his single tear of mystified sadness over her and ate his feelings, literally.
Flag
Are you saying you think Abigail is alive? Interesting. I was certain Hannibal brought Dr Du Maurier Abigail for dinner. It is an interesting premise. Then there is potential for Abigail to be the new copycat killer. Hmmm.
Flag
I really want Abigail to be alive too, but with each passing episode the more I grow to think she's dead.
Flag
Hmm. Seems people have some interesting theories regarding the copycat killer. If it does turn out to be Bedelia, I will be a tad surprised. I'm leaning more towards it perhaps being the young Mason Verger. He is deranged and obsessive enough in his regard for certain people to be emulating Will and/or Hannibal as a tribute or way to toy with them. Not to mention clever enough.
Flag
Freddie needs to be eaten. ASAP. I'd forgotten she survived season one and was infinitely crestfallen when she started making appearances. As for the episode, it felt a little clunky, I think because they're struggling with their new structure. Hopefully that gets ironed out soon (just like hopefully NBC moves it back off Friday before completely destroying all the show's momentum). I didn't get the feeling that Bev will be on the way out, but I did get an inkling that we're going to lose Alana. I'm sure we're going to lose a good handful this season, but I don't have a clue for certain who.
Flag
Staff
It will not be moving from Fridays. NBC's doing too well on other nights at 10 to risk rocking the boats. The only 10pm slot they could move it to would be Sunday, but it's just going to beaten up there, too.
Flag
I know the logistics and reasoning behind it, but I guess what really gets me is why they moved it from Thursdays in the first place. Sure, it would have some tough competition, but at least there it would have a chance, rather than having most of its intended audience out for the evening. I haven't managed to watch it live since it started, despite trying to each week.

Also, it feels like Elementary's made some slight adjustments to appeal to the Hannibal crowd - it feels just a touch darker, gives just a little more gore in the cases (and even managed to have some uncanny resonances these past weeks with cut off ears and talk about smelling cancer on a person).

I just feel like they took something they had that was working and decided that because it was working, it could withstand anything. Instead, it's just being driven into the ground.
Flag
Well on another note, to stay positive about this show, Hannibal's ratings are up from last week's. That's a good sign.
Flag
A Flambé would be appropriate.
Flag
Love poem. Love poem? LOVE POEM!

I do looooove Hannigram, but in all seriousness, I thought Hannibal (in show) found Will to be his most favorite hyper-intelligent plaything at the present time. Not anymore. Hurray (or should that be Horror?!), Hannibal is emotionally compromised! Or more likely obsessed as Bedelia would say.

Hannibal is being reckless. He threw Will under the bus to protect himself last season. Completely logical, Hannibal response. His satisfaction with that triumph was short lived. He misses Will and the potential of having a psychopathic soulmate. He's visiting Will and being recorded. He's under Will's former colleagues eye, where he is revealing who knows what. He's providing Will personally or through a surrogate reasonable doubt in a court of law. Now, the judge killed and strung up in a courthouse (how did he manage that?). Reckless and potentially sloppy.

That opener. Always the openers with this show. My interpretation was that Hannibal!Will was killing Good!Will. Taking over, so to speak. I think the fight is still on as to whether Will will succumb to Hannibal's embedded influence. I think it would be delicious if Will, like in that scene were he essentially colluded with Hannibal about the devil in the details, so that he could be free; flirted with or embraced the dark, including throwing Hannibal under the bus when shit hits the fan.

More+
Flag
I'm having a hard time understanding Hannibal's motivations myself at the moment. He needed to set Will up to save himself, yes, but now he's going to ridiculous lengths to make Will appear innocent (all the while potentially incriminating himself as the real killer more and more with each victim). Obviously we all know Hannibal will be caught by the end of this season, so watching him being so reckless is becoming quite the frustrating watch.
Flag
I think Hannibal doesn't want Will dead, which would certainly have occurred if that weak ass unconsciousness defense had been played out in the courts. He may want Will free and within reach, but I think he would be satisfied with keeping him indefinitely in the asylum like a prized captive bird in a glided cage. He could still see and speak to Will and could probably convince petty and unorthodox Chilton to let him have more unfretted access to him.

Hannibal considers Will a friend. Will is apparently the only person he's run across in his lifetime or in a long time that can actually understand the messages and the mechanics behind his work. Will can see behind his "person suit" and Will can essentially absorb parts of Hannibal's psyche. Hannibal is seriously narcissistic and lonely. He wants to be seen, understood (Why does no one get my puns? *cannibal tears*), and admired. I don't know if he wants Will to join him in murderous mayhem or not, but he probably thinks the only way to bind Will to him is to dirty him up, like he did with Bedelia and Abbigal. If Hannibal wasn't a full-time crazy, I think he may have been able to use his snake-like charm in another fashion to confuse Will's priorities and cause the man to align his allegiance uneasily to Hannibal.

As to whether or not Hannibal is personally creating a corpse alibi for Will...dunno. That would be seriously "sweet" and I would assume completely out of character behavior. I've never read the books and I barely remember Silence of the Lambs (I was a little kid and I thought that ish was boring and now I can't imagine Anthony Hopkins charming anyone into his cast iron cookware), so I don't know if Hannibal had lapses of human sentiment. I think it's an admirer of "the work" who may realize Will isn't the true artist or thinks he is and is trying to free him. Possibly someone Hannibal is goading into action in the nick of time.

Heh. I love this show. Makes me think in a good way as opposed to other shows that make me think most often, "WTF, that makes no sense."
More +
Flag
I liked how you put your thoughts into words...

I do think that Hannibal wanted by murdering that guy to create the illusion of another killer but at the same time make sure it is an imitation! maybe for Will's sake of solving the puzzle... BUT as Will said it might be some serial-killer to be who is interested in Will!

I also believe he killed that judge to start the trial allover again ... to make sure Will will suffer!
Flag
Perfect as usual. It's nice to see Hannibal worried about something for a change.
Just a shot in the dark, but I suspect Bedelia to be behind those new murders. She has enough "darkness" to be able to kill, but she's not evil enough to mutilate them alive. And assuming Hannibal told her about the cases while discussing Will, she's one of the few people with enough knowledge of Will's case to do it.
Flag
Nah. It's been more than anvil-ed that Bedelia is a killer, but she's not an Art School Drop-out serial killer. She with the "help" of Hannibal killed the patient that attacked her, probably after he had been subdued and no longer a direct threat and they covered it up (from self-defense to premeditated murder in three easy steps!).

I suspect, if not Hannibal himself directly creating the evidence of doubt, he has an acolyte that he is utilizing to create the evidence. This would accomplish three things 1) Will is freed and can return to him 2) The "true killer is caught, and thus the eye of suspicion is off himself and Will 3)He can work on confusing Will's suspicions of him or reveal himself to Will in his bid to woo him to the darkside. Win-win-win.
Flag
The Hannibal acolyte theory would work with the Mason Verger theory...hmmmm....
Flag
Ohhh. I haven't read the books and I'm not up on the movies either. So, my knowledge is firmly influenced by the show itself, FANFIC, and a little fannish spoilage in episode commentary (no biggie). Mason Verger in all iterations has scared the crap out of me, lol. Hannibal's response to him too makes me twitchy. I don't think I'm ready!
Flag
Oh, I did briefly think the copy-cat savior could have been Alanna, as she would have the intimate knowledge of the cases. But then I think I'm just always trying to make Alanna interesting! So beautiful, yet so dull.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members