A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E01: "Kaiseki"

Oh, Hannibal, how I missed you. You know, if "missed" is the correct word to use when talking about a show that causes me to feel massive amounts of dread and stress on a near weekly basis while reveling in its own grotesque displays of corpses... 

Yes, "missed" is the correct word.

When we last left off, Hannibal had deftly framed Will for multiple murders using not an "orgy of evidence," but just enough to convince everyone that Will was guilty. So the question for Jack and Alana as Season 2 began with "Kaiseki" was not whether or not Will had killed a number of people, but whether Will had consciously killed a number of people—as opposed to a situation where Will's psyche, under duress from the encephalitis, had led him to unknowingly murder all those victims in the style of the killers he'd been hunting through Season 1 after tumbling so far down into Garret Jacob Hobbs' mental point-of-view.

It's a terribly lonely place to be, for us and for Will; we and Will both know that he's innocent of these crimes, but we don't have any allies who believe our version—the actual version—of what transpired. And the continued beauty of Hannibal's frame job is that Will's focus on Hannibal helped to clear Hannibal's name as the FBI gathered Hannibal's DNA and tried to match it against anything that Hannibal had planted on and around Will. Of course, there was nothing. Or at least there wouldn't be, until twelve weeks into the future.

I'm generally not a big fan of flash-forward/in media res openings and framing devices, because I think that television has come to rely too heavily on that type of structure as a pseudo-tension builder—hell, even Top Chef used one in its Season 11 finale. They can skew the attention of the audience regarding the present-day narrative, forcing viewers to consider the question of "How do they get there?" instead of letting them ask, "What are they doing?" For example, I didn't much care for Breaking Bad's deployment of a flash-forward at the start of its final season, as a lot of events in the present felt like the show was checking off boxes, and things got rather rote at times.

But with Hannibal, there are two important exceptions to the rule. The first is that we already know, given the franchise's history and Bryan Fuller's own comments on his plan for the show, that Hannibal will eventually be caught and incarcerated. So the series, by its very narrative premise, is already working to answer the question of "How did they get there?"—especially since it's tweaked Will and Hannibal's history from its previous versions in novel and film, changing just enough to keep even those fans who are well-versed in the franchise guessing.

The second exception is that, well, that fight scene between Jack and Hannibal was just, well, it was the bee's knees. It recalled, for me, the fight scene in Alfred Hitchcock's Torn Curtain, as both sequences demonstrate that stabbing and choking and beating the tar out of someone rarely ends as quickly or as cleanly as we're used to seeing in most media representations of violence (amusingly, Torn Curtain's fight ends with someone's head in an oven). The fight was perfectly in-line with Hannibal's approach to carnage, in that it was both brutally intense (at least for Jack, who was gasping for air before getting stabbed in the neck, while Hannibal was all swagger the entire time) and impossible to look away from.

And if there's one more reason that I'm not annoyed with Hannibal's flash-forward opening, it's that the big question of Season 2 appears to be—at least for now—"How did I end up here?" Will is digging into his memory in an effort to detangle Hannibal's extensive web of deceit, and the progress he makes in answering that question will likely feed into the "How did they end up there?" query that was posed by the opening scene. Also, I really liked the show's allusion to the mental metronome that signaled Will's consciousness shifts in Season 1 via the use of an actual metronome to induce his hypnosis and gain access to his buried memories. 

Like Dr. Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs, memories are what Will has instead of a view. However, instead of the Duomo seen from the Belvedere, Will prefers to recall himself fly fishing, casting lures into a river and hoping to hook himself a new memory. It's a pleasant variation on Thomas Harris's use of memory palaces from the novel Hannibal, with the notion of a memory palace being derived from the ancient Greeks and Romans as a way of storing and organizing all sorts of information in an orderly and personalized way within one's mind. And since Will's mind is an unreliable mess, it makes sense that he would conceptualize his memory palace as a safe pastime involving flowing water, instead of as a library or a museum—and even that flowing water is home to the ravenstag and the Hannibalstag.

The flowing and unreliable nature of Will's memory, however, is likely why he was willing to turn to hypnosis. Between the inky representation of Alana and the aforementioned metronome effect being used to denote Will's shift in consciousness, and to give it a sense of physicality, I appreciate that Hannibal is finding ways to integrate its nightmare logic, even though Will's mind is clearer than it once was. At least the hypnosis session helped to trigger Will's memory of how Abigail Hobbs' ear got into his stomach, treating us to a fuzzy, black-and-white flashback complete with a throat camera and scraping musical sound effects that had me wincing the entire time.

Recalling the memory was a victory for Will, even if it won't immediately help him, either legally or in convincing his friends he's been wronged. To them, it'll merely be a story he concocted to shift the blame to Hannibal. But to Will, it's a reminder that he is not, in fact, crazy, and perhaps it'll be the first step in silencing Hannibal's voice from the well of his mind.

À LA CARTE

– Welcome to our Season 2 coverage of Hannibal. I'm very excited to discuss the show with you all, so I hope you'll read and comment every week and encourage your friends and fellow fannibals to swing by and do the same. Be sure to also read Kaitlin's interview with Bryan Fuller and Hugh Dancy for some quick insights into the upcoming season, but be forewarned that it does contain some small spoilers.

– "I can't quite place the fish." "He was a flounder."

– "You do realize you're his favorite topic of conversation. Hannibal, Hannibal, Hannibal."

– "Lost in thought?" "Not lost. Not anymore. I used to hear my thoughts inside my skull with the same, um, tone, timber, accent as if the words were coming out of my mouth." "And now?" "Now my inner-voice sounds like you. I can't get you out of my head." "Friendship can sometimes involve a breach of individual separateness." "You're not my friend."

– I received a speaker bar and subwoofer set for Christmas, and I cannot begin to tell you how amazing Hannibal sounds with a fancier set-up. Brian Reitzell’s soundscape score has some lovely sonic layers that I just wasn’t hearing before. My cat, however, is not a fan.

– Lover of the classics that he is, Hannibal paired his meals with two different compositions. With Jack, he served his mukōzuke dish to the tune of Schubert's 4 Impromptus, Op. 142, D. 935, Impromptu No. 3. For his dinner with Chilton, Hannibal accompanied his vegetarian meal ("One can learn to love beets.") with Mendelssohn's Songs without Words, Op.19, No.1. Me, I wrote this review—and likely all others for Hannibal to follow—while listening to various pieces composed by Tōru Takemitsu.

– Since this episode and next week's are essentially a two-parter, we'll discuss a number of things from this episode in more depth next week, including our killer ("You have nice skin."), his eye for art (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?), Hannibal's role as "the new Will Graham," how Du Maurier figures into things, and Cynthia Nixon's federal examiner Kade Prurnell.

What'd you think of Hannibal's Season 2 premiere?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

190 Comments
Comments (190)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I put up with this psychopathic, stylized gore fest for a season, believing that "justice" would finally be done, that Will's character and tribulations would triumph. What a fucking waste of time. I'm not hooked. I'm done.
Flag
Watched this because it happened to be on after Grimm, and I think I'm hooked, although some of the carnage has me queasy. I didn't see any of the first season, should I go back and watch or just hang on tight for this one?
Flag
You should watch season 1.
Flag
So glad Hannibal is back. It's one of the two current shows I've given a 10/10 (Sherlock being the other one).

The psychological thriller and horror is right my alley, the atmosphere and the imagery is brilliant. The cast is very talented (and super attractive in the non-plastic kind of way) and the characters just delicious.

The fight scene was indeed awesome and I'm not a flash forward fan either.
Flag
FREEDOM to Will Graham!

Please let him out of this cage! ;)
Flag
I discovered the show day before yesterday and I watched the first season and the first episode of the second season, I just could not stop watching it. :) Hannibal is my new favorite show, it has so amazing characters. Will and Hannibal are just perfect and with suspenseful and gritty story it really is one of the best shows on TV nowadays. :)

Flag
I FINALLY got to watch the premiere last night. Stupid moving and having to wait for internet. So wonderful!!

Having the fight scene at the beginning was a little odd, BUT it was so amazingly shot (as was the rest of the episode) that I can't be mad about it. It does make me ask "How do we get here?" but, as you mentioned, it works in this case, especially coupled with Will's memory crisis. It makes me feel even more invested in seeing how Will unlocks those memories and how he gets at least Jack to see the truth.

I am intrigued by why the latest victim isn't dead. If every other victim was injected with more than enough heroin to kill them prior to being injected with the silicone, this had to be deliberate. But we should get more insight into that this week I hope.

I also am enjoying seeing Hannibal's infatuation with Will progress even further with him getting to spend a day in Will's shoes. I'm curious to see how far he takes it, and if it ultimately casues him to slip up...
Flag
Staff
The victim being alive is explained next week, don't worry. :)
Flag
I was wary of the idea of the flash forward fight since it basically reveals/spoils the end of the season. But I realized it serves a purpose not just in this episode but at the beginning of the season.

The scenes tells us that Jack doesn't come after Hannibal for 12 weeks - the length of the season. This tells the audience right away that Will will not be getting out of jail right away but that we shouldn't despair over this since eventually (in 12 weeks) things will change. Without this scene, We spend the season premiere with Will in jail and little hope to no hope of him getting out any time soon. This scene here at the beginning gives the audience reason to accept Will confined for a few episodes without stressing over when/if he gets out. It gives us our cathartic victory for Will without actually the show having to release Will from incarceration just yet.
Flag
The first scene of this episode was absolutely FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC! Great way to start the new season, and I can't wait to see how we get to that point in 12 weeks. Hannibal is balls to the wall awesomeness!
Flag
the first and final scene were absolutely killers!!!
the entire episode was sort of dreamy for me... in a dreadful nightmarish way.
Flag
OMG for the first scene i was 100% sure it was someone dreaming but HOLY COW it's a flash forward that in my opinion adds to the anticipation of Jack finding out because now we know that he will be stabbed in the neck and i don't think people normally recover from that.
also this episode was amazing and this show is the Best
Flag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiseki
looks like we're taking a fun Japanese food experience this season.
(Mexican food next?)
Flag
This is my design
Flag
I think my anticipation for the new season to begin placed my expectations too high... Well I guess it remains to be seen how well the decision to place the flash-forward fight scene at the start of the season will work, but for me it was instantly the wrong choice, and most definitely an unnecessary one. I don't think all those spoiler-filled trailers people other, the episode just seemed so tedious. We already knew Will was incarcerated and that he was pointing the finger at Hannibal, and we knew no one believed him. There was little to be excited about here, other than the new case (which wasn't even that fulfilling since it'll be a serialised one), and Gillian Anderson as Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier (I can't get enough of her).
Flag
Staff
I think the interesting thing about the flashforward is that it's only in this episode because Bryan Fuller wanted people to see it now instead of later. It's such a fan gratification, both on his part as a fan as for the fans. That it served to generate a lot of nice buzz from the critical community about the episode -- "WOW. That Hannibal opening was great. Be excited!" -- didn't hurt either.
Flag
I agree about the flash forward. That was a weird choice. But I liked the episode. The fact that the new murder case wasn't closed was the best thing about it, because it means that it's not already irrelevant.
Flag
Concerning the eye at the end of the episode: It was perfect, it had all the shades right and the mirroring light in the black pupil. The serial killers from Hannibal are all art school's graduates it seems. Were Hannibal giving work-shops at some art schools? Or even classes?
Maybe it's just me but isn't Mads Mikkelsen also hitting the humorous side of Hannibal, wasn't it sort of funny when he told Du Maurier that she does not know what he is capable of? I thought it was funny. With Hannibal everything is so serious in the comments but Hannibal Lector is one of the most underrated comedians of his time.
Flag
It was funny in a frightening sort of way.
Flag
"Hannibal Lector is one of the most underrated comedians of his time." - very true, he has a KILLER delivery!!!
Get it, KILLER - because he is a serial killer, but killer can also be a good thing when referring to humor.
It has a double meaning!
See what I did there?
I made a funny.
(I now realize I ruined my brilliant joke by over explaining it)
Flag
"Hannibal, you're killing me, stop it!" is something Dr Lector hears a lot me thinks.
Flag
That's some biting humor!
Flag
Bodies placed to form an eye, at the end, were really cool !
But the bodies are not supposed to be filled with silicone ? So, why this victim is still alive ?
Flag
Perhaps he wants the pupil of the eye to be responsive.
Flag
Oh, I like it ! (Sorry i didn't respond before. I forgot to come back.)
Flag
interesting theory
Flag
I always feel so damn hungry when I'm watching Hannibal.
Good TV Show!
Flag
The cinematography is visually stunning. Notice how everything is being done in shades of black, right down to the black chopsticks. Most of Will's scenes escaping to his favorite fishing hole or being haunted by the ravenstag or manstag. The other characters are able to interact more freely and change their venue. Will is more of a captive audience trying to convince everyone that Hannibal is the killer. I'm glad that Hettianne's character finally gets a little more development. It will be interesting to see what happens as Hannibal takes on Will's role as profiler.
Flag
Strong season premiere, NBC has something quite unique in its schedule. Let's hope THEY know that as well. And good for you Noel for upgrading your set-up. Well done, Hannibal is eye-candy but it is also ear-morphine.
My most disgusting/visually enthralling scene(beside the corpse eye at the end):

Eeeow, right? But also so well composed...
Shortly after this followed - interesting choice in decorative garnish, right?lol

Looking into the future of the other murder cases that will haunt us then: BEES?

Flag
Sea urchin is one of those delicacies that are not for everyone and you need to eat the super fresh (or risk bad food poisoning) so it makes sense to eat them as above from the shell...
Flag
Well, that garnish is the best appetite stimulant known. So it makes perfect sense.
Flag
Staff
SEE. I told people that there's not much difference between the bodies in Hannibal and the bodies in Pushing Daisies.

(Totally aware that's not a dead body from Pushing Daisies, but it is Chuck covered in bees.)
Flag
Chuck IS technically dead, though!
Flag
One of the best and most accurate reviews I have read on this site! Had to go back and watch the last 3 episodes of Season 1 after watching this episode, and I am sitting down to watch it again. Thank god for my DVR and for Amazon Prime!
OK, I was a little bit pissed about the flash-forward. Initially I thought someone was dreaming. Once the scene ended, I worried that they could potentially kill off or disable Jack...to be clear, I never read the books; I have seen and loved all of the movies except for Rising. I thought the series storyline had the potential to continue as long as the writers had ink (LOL). But setting a 12 week time frame for Hannibal to be discovered seems premature and NOT in line with the storyline in Red Dragon. Unless they continue in the vein of Lost, where 12 weeks could last several seasons!
But, I digress...oh, and did Hannibal jumping at the door to his wine room remind anyone else of the zombies in I am Legend?
Flag
Staff
I appreciate the "best" aspect, though not sure how an opinion of an episode (or novel or play or song or piece of art can be "accurate").

As for the timeframe: the fight's from the end of this season. Fuller's discussed the finale very lightly, but he's said that the fight is "one of the smaller events" of that episode. I should note that that interview, while non-specific in its spoilers can still leave you with some broad strokes of things, roughly on par with his interview on the Nerdist Writers Panel podcast...which, while insightful about how Fuller , I would not recommend listening to it as Fuller has no problem dropping broad spoilers about his own show.

As for being not in line with the Red Dragon storyline...well...they've already tossed a lot of that out the window. Will only met Hannibal a couple of times in the novels before he figured out that Hannibal was the Chesapeake Ripper, and the way he figured it out the show gave to Miriam Lass in S1.
Flag
So beautiful, every fame of it, the light, the music, the oniric scenes... I love so much this show, I miss Will so much, I´m so sorry for the dogs, specially Winston... And Alana...
So glad it is back!
Flag
Good to have Hannibal back. That fight scene was epic!!!!! I chuckled at that orgy of evidence line and I see what that unknown psychopath did at the end.
Flag
So glad it is back.

Most beautiful, yet creepiest show on network TV.

I still don't know how it ended up on NBC, but so glad it did!
Flag
this season will probably prove to be a lot less extreme than the last as far as dead flesh and stuff. Though the last wasn't terrible, but youre right, this stuff would normally be out of the question for network tv.
Flag
I can't remember where I read it for concrete reference, but I swear I read an interview last year that basically said that NBC is willing defer judgement to the DeLaurentis Group & give them almost free reign. I know they still have some network restrictions, but in spite of all their many flaws, I gotta give some kudos to NBC for airing the best cable drama on network TV.
NBC may be a parody of itself these days, but even a broken clock can be right twice a day ;) Next stop: Constantine...Don't fuck it up you bastards!
Flag
******SPOILERS***************
click and highlight the below to read potential spoilers.

I read somewhere that they didn't have a problem with the violence except a scene that has a sterile needle approaching an eyeball. They had to modify the scene or something. I pretty sure it's in that article (on this site) where Fuller and someone else is interviewed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
It helps that NBC has a significantly lower financial risk involved in Hannibal. According to Fuller, NBC's paying a third of what they normally pay to license a show, so with that comes some serious creative freedom. Network TV calculus is always so weird.
Flag
I hope theyre not making a tv version of that keanue reeves movie.
Flag
But I think somebody is? I am not 100% certain but it is under consideration I think ... If it goes to the right cable home it could be back to the spirit of the graphic novels... though the belligerent anti-religious element could be a challenge in the US
Flag
You & me both! I'm mostly just praying that they go the Hellblazer route & leave that New 52 trash to the Arrowverse ::innocent shug::
Flag
This is a good episode. I enjoyed it much better than a lot of others from previous season but I still find some scenes too gruesome for my liking.
Flag
Its hannibal so grue comes with the package, but most of the fleshy stuff looks like cuts of meat you'd find in a butcher shop. Its all cleaned up and free of blood and guts.
Flag
So good to see Hannibal back post 'gotcha Will!' moment... It takes some amazing writing and acting to make Hannibal believable as he still utters that nonsense of being Will's friend and Dr. du Maurier was also extraordinary... Great acting between those two and a fantastic contrast to the fast-paced need-to-be-doing something FBI response... I though Fishburne did good too with his mix of guilt and determination to not be fooled again that is preventing him from seeing the truth of it all ie that it is unbelievable that Will did those things and nobody noticed...
I am no expert in psychiatry or neurology but still I am not very convinced by this explanation that Will could be committing this very elaborate crimes while his brain was taking a sort of vacation? Sure if he was committing violent thuggy crimes downtown, OK, I buy a Dr. Jeckill/Mr.Hyde scenario but the brain can't be so fried that he doesn't remember and yet perfectly capable of such planning & executing while working with the FBI. The only way is the Hannibal way, the way of the psychopath but they know Will is not a psychopath... ergo kids... find the psychopath!!!
Flag
And experienced profilers, like Crawford and his team, should realize that.
Flag
Right? I am trying to ignore this point in the hope that Crawford & co start getting a clue.... otherwise it feels like I am watching that awful show The Following which is just yikes... The Hannibal lot have a bit of an excuse because it has to be pretty traumatic to 'discover' the Will they knew as a colleague/friend could do such crazy shit but still...
Flag
It's a major plot hole.
I'm willing to over look it for now because everything else is masterful.
But they better pick it up soon or I'll be very disappointed.
Flag
My God I missed Hannibal this show is both creepy and beatiful. I specially like how Hannibal and Will are both obsessed in a non sexual way with each other (I think I mean I have never quite realized if Hannibal does have sexual desires mmmm... ). It is soooo interesting to see how every character interacts with Hannibal while he just smiles and even jokes about being a psychopatic murderer!
Is it wrong that even though this show has lots of carnage and the food is people I get hungry after watching an episode? Probaly... Damn show
Flag
It is creepy and beautiful, because they take the most mesmerizing elements of modern horror and mesh them with the modern procedural in a very stylish way. There are scenes that look like they were taken from 'The Grudge' or 'The Cell', the production values are very high. Its a suspenseful psychological thriller with just enough action to keep it interesting, and the fighting is the kind of stuff you rarely see on tv.
Flag
That was my first thought too... This show is so foodporny! Even the rather awful and graphic crimes do not spoil my appetite...
Flag
not wrong and you are not alone.
I think it the frequent talking about food, showing it being prepared and then presenting gorgeous meals that makes people hungry. They do it every episode and I always end up snacking when I watch Hannibal.
Flag
except when you consider that Hannibal is lying about the meat he is serving to his guests...I suspect most of it is human meat, no matter how he prepares it.
Flag
Not a determent. I'm hungry and swooning over the presentation of the dishes every ep. And I'm a vegetarian.
Flag
roflmao!
Flag
I absolutely loved this episode, it wasn't at all a letdown after the long wait I've been suffering through. I disagree on the flash-forward, however. I didn't feel it was necessary. Furthermore, I'd assumed Hannibal was the killer of the week, yet again, and I was questioning why he wasn't eating these ones, but now I see it might not be him after all. I want to see Hannibal's crimes and murders develop as he has to get more creative to entertain himself now that Will's behind bars.
Flag
Stunning. Mesmerizing. Visually enthralling.

Setting up all the pieces for a twelve move chess game.

Could have done without the flashforward, though.
I have always found the 'action' sequences distracting from the overall style and beauty of the show.
And since they are changing just enought to keep us, well-versed fans guessing, why give it away like that?

I feel like this has been the longest ever wait between seasons.

I must be maddening to be as self-aware as Will is and have everyone who knows you believe that you are delusional.

Good sound is almost as important as a good screen. It amazes me that TV manufacturers do such a through job on the screen and then just slap a couple of plastic speakers on. Good speakers make an enormous difference.
Flag
yeah the sound on this show is absolutely amazing!
Flag
Hannibal fights like Mr. Anderson and in essence he just stabbed Morpheus este Jack Crawford possibly in the carotid artery. I haven't been hooked on an NBC show since FRIENDS. This is a work of genius.
Flag
It was just brilliant. So happy it's back and that it's keeping the high standard. This and Helix made my day! Grateful!
Flag
Let us first start with the most obvious statement. In no way shape or form should this show be on NBC. I don't know how this show is on NBC. Mostly because it is unbelievably well done. If NBC operated with a modicum of intelligence it would give the show runner the keys to the kingdom. But instead they are green lighting a J-lo cop show because stupidity.

Kaiseki is a very apropos name for this episode, for the show, for Hannibal himself everything. For those familiar with Japanese cuisine Kaiseki is a meal, well it is more of an experience. It is a series of dishes served to the person eating. And it is stupendous. If you ever get the chance to partake, partake. But what Kaiseki also means, it means the skill of putting the meal together. And that is where it related to this show is the runners of this show create and spectacular visual meal for us as viewers. There is no doubt that this show is visually stunning, well thought out and just fantastic. But it also is a nod to Hannibal himself because he put this all together for will, he has crafted the scenario that has led him into a cell being poked and prodder mentally by a moron, seriously who gave that guy a Phd. Hannibal is a master manipulator and has crafted a fine meal for us to enjoy. It is a rare show that has you rooting for the bad guy. I find myself rooting for Hannibal because he is just so damn fun. So Kanpai everybody and enjoy the meal that is this season, because it is going to be filling and oh so satisfying.

This was a great start to the season. I like how they kind of showed us the dessert first in the fight between Hannibal and Crawford. It was well choreographed, felt natural and left us wanting more. It was what I would want a fight to look like from two intelligent men familiar with hand to hand combat.

Will locked up is kind of fun. I too would love to poke inside the mind of an inmate that had a Phd in Clinical Psychology and was suspected of doing the crimes that Will is suspected of committing. It would be a white whale for any psychologist. But I do feel bad for Will, I have worked in places like that and for the people that are forced to be there or are there by choice it is unbelievably lonely. However, Hannibal made a mistake in placing Will there. Will being there without any other stimulus to induce the natural mental issues that he has which makes him a good forensic psychologist is going to be Hannibal's undoing. Because Will is left with his own mind, he can parse out and remember what was real and what wasn't and he can remember as he did, what hannibal did to him. Beverly may be doing him a disservice if she keeps bringing him stuff to stimulate him. He needs to be in his river and letting his memories wash over him so that he can center himself and prepare for what I would think is an inevitable fight with Hannibal as well.

The case was fantastic, it has a lot of similarities to Buffalo Bill from the movie and the book. Except this guy seems to be building a painting from human skin tone. The scene in the silo was fantastic.

I am kind of glad that Alana seems to have a more prominent role. Will does need someone to help him find himself again and she seems good for that role. I also like her relationship with Crawford. I would like to see more of them together.

I do however really find the relationship between Hannibal and Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson) interesting, she seems to at least have an idea of what Hannibal is but perhaps not fully. And with that, she knows Will's innocence, which givers her an odd power over him. I would love an episode of their past and how their relationship formed. Because I find that this might also be a key to Hannibal's capture.

There is so much this show can do and I can't wait to see what they bring us.
More+
Flag
NBC's Had lots of great shows and practically mastered the tv procedural. It carried the whole law and order franchise.
Flag
That would all depend on if you like the Law and Order type and style drama. Especially enough to consider them great.
Flag
i liked the law and order but so did millions of others. Thats what enabled a single show to turn into a franchise. Much like CSI which I never much cared for. I mean you got law and order plus criminal intent. svu, homicide life on the street, chicago pd, law and order LA. Theyre all part of the same franchise. Dick Wolf is still on a roll.
Flag
rofl - i too have wonder how the hell this ended up on nbc! i'm just glad we get to see such a high quality (in every way) show.
Flag
There's something oddly satisfying in watching Hannibal while eating an industrialized burger with bread, mayo and crisps. And, of course, a Coke.
Flag
It's ridicoulous how hungry this show makes me.
Flag
I would really have to try that sometimes.
Flag
Cynthia Nixon was the only let down of the episode for me. I just can't buy her in any role she does really, and she pulled me out of the awesome intensity that envelopes me during a Hannibal viewing -- even if only for a moment.

This is one of the finest shows on television hands down, and has easily surpassed the movie franchise from which it draws its material by this point.
Flag
Yeah, she didn't wow me either, although the scene was so short, I'm reserving my judgement until we see more of her.
Flag
can someone explain whats wrong with will and why he forgot about what happened so fast.
Flag
hannibal evidently did something to him - or at the very least took advantage of his brain condition at the time - we don't know yet.
Flag
Hannibal identified and allowed Will's brain infection to go untreated because he wanted to see what would happen to Will if the condition was not treated. He then appears to have been using the effects of the infection, i.e. blackouts, seizures, etc to plant evidence on, in, and around Will.
Flag
So good to have this series back again. This was a very strong start to the season, maintaining the same great dialogue and visual direction we've come to love from the first season.

It was great seeing the aftermath of Hannibal framing Will. It was so sad seeing everybody believing in his guilt. I'm glad to see them dealing with the consequences of Jack's actions, pushing Will into working last season despite knowing his mental instability.

Also, even though the murders seemed to be secondary to the character drama, mostly setting up for the next episode, it was still very effective, with some very creepy moments. I especially liked the closing shot from the episode.
Flag
Don't like Hannibal killing Morpheus in a fight, even though Fishbourne's character is so damn stupid, he deserves to be killed in this show.
Flag
What I saw was a badly injured Crawford with blood spurting out of his neck before the scene changed. He may well end up dying, who knows? but you didn't see him get killed. Your wishful thinking is getting ahead of your eyes, Dude.
Flag
"Don't like" is the opposite of wishful thinking... He is closed in the wine cellar and bleeding out from his artery, yeah, he is dead... He is stupid, because in 13 episodes so far he hasn't done any detective work, but spilled case secrets to psychiatrists and let others do his job.
Flag
Crawford's job is as Head of Behavioral Sciences at the FBI, so it's not his job to be a detective, but to make sure his profilers do theirs. Considering how far he pushed Will, I'd say he did his job a bit too much. It was a mistake, but it doesn't make him stupid in the least. As to whether or not he ends up dead, we'll just have to wait & see by the finale.

Flag
Stop Playin'. Jack Crawford is THAT DUDE!
Flag
Truly stunning premiere- my eyes were actually watering with the cinematography of it all
Flag
Better than True Detective? Thats debatable. I'm a major fan of Justified but it's not quite on par with The Americans. Of course you can't really compare Hannibal to The Americans. They have practically nothing in common. Hannibal vs True Detective would be a helluva shootout.
Flag
Hannibal is prettier, more colorful and shows it off. True Detective is darker, grittier and wallows in it.

And as of this season of Justified, The Americans is a great deal better than it.
Flag
Wow, this show is so visually amazing. The scene where Alana hypnotized Will was gorgeous. All the dead and dying victims of the new killer were grossly beautiful. Even Will's visions of the Wendigo are beautiful.

Watching Will regain his sanity, his memories, and his friends' trust over the next "12 weeks" is going to be fantastic. Normally I don't care for flash forward stuff either, but I think this will work well.
Flag
This episode made me like Alana more then before. She stood by her convictions/beliefs even when pressured by the FBI. She is a loyal and amazing friend~trying to help Will get a lawyer, recover his memories, and most important she is taking care of his pack of dogs! Seriously, taking care of his large pack is above and beyond what most people would do. She even got them chipped.
Plus, the inky nightmare special effect scene was gorgeous and creative imo

Flag
Perfect episode to start off this season. Perfect combinations of
  • Gorgeous cinematography~Will fishing in the river….
  • Stellar acting~Hannibal and Dr. Du Maurier...
  • Lyrical imagery of dialogue~skillfully intricate word play and at time subtle humor
  • Brutally gorgeous art~human color palate, stag merged with Hannibal…
  • Majestic music and sounds~see Noel's perfect review:-)
  • Intense action~that adrenaline rush of a flash forward (awesome Banshee style fight choreography)
  • Amazing special effects~Inky Alana (that was awesome)
  • Suspense~how will Will get out of his predicament, will Jack live (referring to the flash forward)….
Excellent review~intelligent, insightful, informative~you "get" the show.
Flag
Agree with pretty much everything. Excellent opening season, and you can totally forgive the flashbacks in the episode. Very creep stuff with the people in 'well' or 'hole' or whatever it is that you agree is reminiscent of Silence of the Lambs.

Beautiful stuff, shocking, of course, as the content is. Nothing beats this show in terms of art -- and that's one reason why it is so incredibly successful, be it Hannibal's presentation and description of his meals, or the way bodies are assembled into what are works of art to he murderers.
Flag
That has to be the creepiest time I have ever heard the word "orgy"
Flag
The one thing I learned from the season opener is that Hannibal should be watched in highest of HD TV possible. So much detail and thought is given to art direction in this show that it is a shame to not allow yourself the full experience.
Flag
And don't forget good speakers.
Flag
Staff
Totally true. I picked up the S1 Blu-Rays and the image quality spoiled me so much that I opted for HD service pretty much just for this show, the same way some folks get HD really just for sports programming.
Flag
Haha, I was just checking Amazon today for a Blu-Ray collection of S1!
Flag
Hannibal is back and everything is perfect in this world.
But I noticed that I don't care how Will is doing. I just don't. And oh, they are still pretending that dr. Alana Gloom is an interesting character. How nice. (it's not nice, and she is boring and useless).
For me scenes between Hannibal and Jack, and Hannibal and Du Maurier made this episode so great! And don't forget agent Katz! Always a pleasure to see her.
Hannibal still is the best and most visually intriguing tv-show!
Flag
I almost forgot ADA Rafael Barba! (whatever his name is in this show) How great to see him again!
Flag
All the aforementioned changes make me wonder how things are going to unfold if/when they finally get to the seasons covering the books. We've already had Freddie release a false article to lure out a killer and, in the process, get abducted. Then Miriam Lass took Will's place for an important scene. Now they have a killer with a thing for skin and indicate that maybe Jack catches Lector. I'm kind of torn now, as I hope they don't end up repeating themselves down the line, but I also hope they aren't forced to change it so dramatically that some of what I was looking forward to in the Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs seasons will not occur.
Flag
Staff
Well, a Silence of the Lambs season is still a legal question at this point more than a creative one.
Flag
Hmm, I'd actually forgotten about all of that. It would be a shame if they are not allowed to use some of the characters or the actual storyline due to the movie studio owning rights. Still, I guess that means repeating themselves won't be an issue, if they are using elements of it now. I'm kind of relieved. I wonder if this means it will be Will Graham all the way through.
Flag
bryan fuller said they hope to negotiate the rights for silence of the lamb somewhere down the line - but he said if that didn't work out they would change a few things but still stick very close to the original story.
Flag
I was thinking the series would end with the 1st capture of Hannibal but if they are already thinking about Silence of the Lamb,it would be fantastic. The movie was quite long ago so an updated TV series would really bring in the younger generation.
Flag
the season started with a scene from last episode of the season... Meaning, we'll be waiting till the end and then we'll be like crazy waiting for the next season @@ next year! oh Lord... They might even leave us at a cliff-hanger of whether Jack is dead or not
Flag
What I don't understand is that in season 1 Will develops a serious brain infection(disease?) which the treating doctor and Hannibal keep from him which of course suits Hannibal's needs.

Yet surely when Will is arrested and clearly sick further brain scans would have been done and the lie told to Will exposed which in turn would make his claims against all the more credible.

Have I missed something?
Flag
yep. you missed the part from last year's season finale where after jack shot will he was then treated in the hospital for his injuries and brain inflammation (encephalitis) since alana knew something was wrong after she had him draw that clock picture. so yes, it was discovered and treated at the end of last season.
Flag
And they never discovered the lie because the original doctor was dead and Hannibal had a fake, perfectly normal clock picture to show them, signed by Will, to "prove" that he'd done the same test and found nothing wrong. Plus, Alana said it would only picked up on a brain scan if you knew to look for it. So Hannibal omitted the fact he detected it ahead of the scan and could just pass off the scene he and the other doctor had ran as inconclusive without drawing attention.
Flag
exactly
Flag
Great review. I finally caught up with Hannibal S1 a few weeks ago. I still can't stomach Laurence Fishburne as Jack Crawford - a decent actor but SO *wrong* for the role. Jack Crawford should be this soft spoken, calculating, lithe character with the body of a long distance runner and a mind like a blade. If the network really wanted Crawford to be African American this time around, someone like Lance Reddick would have been a thousand time better. Fishburne is a chunky, shouty, unsubtle Crawford and as a result I've been fast forwarding most of his scenes in S1.

It took me a while to warm up to Mads Mikkelsen, but even if SoTL's Hopkins will always be IMO the best Dr. Lecter, I can't deny Mikkelsen is doing a fantastic job with the character and he's been slowly growing on me. I guess it's hard when you worship The Silence of The Lambs as much as I do, to get used to other actors playing those legendary roles. (yes, I had a hard time with Julianne Moore as Clarice Starling too, it pretty much spoiled Hannibal the movie for me. )

I still find Will Graham grating and not very likeable or interesting but he's much more bearable in this first episode of S2.

So yes, I have quite a few characters issues with this series which prevent me from putting it on my "Must See" list - but I can't deny this is a gorgeous show to look at, with obviously high production values and suitably gruesome murders.

To be honest I only caught up with S1 because I was curious to see what Gillian Anderson was doing with her role as Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier. And this is the one area where I wasn't disappointed. Bedelia is deliciously creepy. I admire the almost unnatural stillness of the character, her slow, soft, highly calculated speech patterns. Bedelia is a monster tamer, she may not know the full extent of Hannibal's particular brand of crazy but she knows enough to be very, *very* wary. Kudos to Anderson for - as always - conveying so much more with her eyes than she does with her voice.

And seeing Cynthia Nixon with an FBI badge in a same show as Anderson is kinda fun considering Nixon auditioned for the role of Dana Scully. I can just see Nixon walking past Anderson on the set, going: "I've got the badge now, bitch!" :p

More+
Flag
you fast forward scenes because you don't like the character.. who watches shows like that?
Flag
*shrugs* What can I say, his portrayal of Crawford makes me cringe, it's like fingernails on a board. I don't skip all the scenes he is in, but as I binged-watched the second half of S1, yeah, I did skip a few of his scenes and I don't feel like I missed much.
Flag
ugh there are so many things wrong with that but whatever
Flag
i love both jack and will as played by fishburn and dancy. jack/fishburn was AWESOME in that flash forward fight scene at the beginning of the ep! are we watching the same show???
Flag
Fishburne is good for fight scenes that's for sure, but for anything more subtle - meh. I think he was a casting mistake for this role, but well YMMV and if you enjoy both Dancy and Fisburne it's great for you. Dancy is a great actor and for him it's not the acting I have issues with but with the character itself, I just find Will Graham deeply annoying and whiny. I know my opinion is not a popular one but I stand by it. Peace out.
Flag
When I first heard that Fishburne had been cast at Crawford I cringed, but I don't mind him in the role, actually. I don't like the character of Jack at all though, and I definitely get what you mean about him being 'unsubtle'. The way his character uses and manipulates Will to do as he once, and how he openly berates anyone else's opinions on Will's well-being is so obnoxious - it was played a lot more subtly in the films, but almost to the point where one couldn't be blamed for missing that side of the character, so I guess his abruptness is sort of a welcome change.
Flag
I loved the way they used similar colors for the imagery that Will associates with Hannibal in his mind -

Doctor Bloom changing into the color Will associates with Hannibal/Stag Guy when he tried to access those memories was a nice touch.
Flag
Staff
I kept staring at the front of Inky Alana's face to see if they had done some F/X and merged Mikkelsen's and Dhavernas's faces, but the profile looked more Dhavernas than anyone else...

And then you had this pre-F/X image that Fuller tweeted during the show:

Flag
Maybe that's what she looks like without make up!
Flag
A few thoughts...

1. I'm surprised no one made mention of Jonathan Tucker's appearance as the orderly giving Will his meal in lockup. Supposedly, he's playing a sociopath or some sort, so we haven't seen the last of him. Good actor, doesn't get/do enough work it seems.

2. Could Cynthia Nixon's neck be any longer? I won't be surprised if she gets offed in some manner having to do with all that throat real estate!

3. At first, I thought this episodes killer might be Jame Gumb...but now I'm thinking he's just semi-inspired by that character (what with all the skin obsession and such).
Flag
Staff
Legally, it couldn't be Gumb. They don't have the rights to the character (at least I'm assuming not since he's a SoL first appearance character, and MGM has the rights to those characters). I believe Fuller did say that the killer a small nod to him, as you guessed, however. :)
Flag
Yeah, I know about the rights thing. I did read (from Wikipedia...I know, I know) that Fuller's plan is for 'Hannibal' to run 7 seasons...with the first 3 being original material that leads to season 4 covering 'Red Dragon', 5 doing 'Silence Of The Lambs' stuff, 6 touching on 'Hannibal', and the 7th being an original close to the whole story.

Granted, the Wiki page also says that Fuller "wants to use characters from the books...provided he can get the rights from the MGM", which makes perfect sense.

They did already have characters from season 1 (Franklin and Tobias) that were, in a fashion, based on Benjamin Raspail and Jame Gumb.

Whether or not they ever get the rights to use the other characters from the books is fine by me...I absolutely love this show!
Flag
1. Discussing Tucker's role in the show would involve some major spoilerage that hopefully no one starts starts doing.

3. Speaking of Buffalo Bill, how divine of a treat would it be to have Ted Levine guest star in the series.
Flag
when I saw Jonathan Tucker, I was thinking oh God not another psycho near Will... or maybe they'll be friends, who knows
Flag
I totally forgot about the ear being found in Will's stomach, clearly I should have had a season one refresher viewing so all the info would be fresh in my mind. That's one thing that always annoys me on the "last season on" things, they almost always leave out one thing, just one, that they reference heavily in the premier, so if you've forgotten it then you're lost in the dark.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members