A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E05: "Mukozuke"

Prior to the start of this season, I did some homework. By homework, I mean I read three of the four Hannibal Lecter novels (not touching you with a 10-foot pole, Hannibal Rising, the novel) and watched three of the five Hannibal Lecter movies (not touching you with a 10-foot pole, Hannibal Rising, the movie; somehow didn't get around to Manhunter). I did these activities while also re-watching the series's first season. So, you know, it was a very merry Christmas and happy new year for me! 

While I did this in part to re-acquaint myself with Hannibal's literary and cinematic versions, I also did it because I was searching out where Hannibal derived itself from. If you read Red Dragon, it reads like a true crime novel instead of a psychological thriller save for the passages where Will is thinking, and then you see inklings of Hannibal. It wasn't until I got to Hannibal the novel that I started to see Hannibal the TV series.

If you haven't read the novel, or haven't read it recently, it's grotesque and over-the-top. It often feels as if Thomas Harris is doing everything within his power to repel you, crafting a ridiculous thriller that reads like the novelization of a dreadful opera intended for shock value and not much else. It's also probably the boldest of the books due to that reckless abandon. It's that tone, however, that this series emulates and manages to figure out how to ground in all this purple, operatic intensity into a working, albeit warped, fantasy reality.

While I had been mulling this since before Season 2 started, and even floated the idea to a few other fans of the show and the novels, it wasn't until "Mukozuke" that it felt true. Even in Season 1, Hannibal would've never so boldly dismantled a character as it did with Beverley Katz here, dissecting her and displaying her like anatomical models in specimen cases. (Where the hell did Hannibal get them?) It would've been too much last season, and yet, here we are, closing in on the half-way point of Season 2 and I felt "prepared" for this visual. Hannibal has been leading up to this, earning this moment. It's shocking, yes, but not for the sake of shock value. That's where Hannibal the novel, and many serial killer/murder-death/grim-dark TV series, fell apart: They wanted to shock you and make you feel dirty. Hannibal wants to shock you and make you feel. Full stop.

And feel we do. Yes, Jack's response to seeing Beverly carved up and displayed, or the looks of pain and Jimmy and Brian's face, or the shock and the guilt over the loss on Will's face that help to sell and reinforce our own pain over the loss, but in my strawman serial killer show would've turned Beverly into a crime scene, with body parts strewn about, evidence marks and tags next to a decapitated head and various dismembered limbs. It would be messy and not befitting Beverly. Hannibal (and Hannibal) displayed her in a clinical, scientific, empirical way, the same way Beverly approached her job. We feel as much as we do not just because we like and care about Beverly, but because her murder tableau acknowledged a part of her personality. That's next level thinking on the show's part's, and it's the kind of horrible sensing of honoring someone we expect from Hannibal Lecter. We hate him for killing her, but...respect him for doing it this way.

From the discovery of Beverly's body forward, "Mukozuke" became a very talkative episode, but one with a shocking amount of forward momentum. One of my favorite things about Hannibal is that you can get lost in all the dialogue and not realize that things are happeningLast week, I awarded kudos to the show for keeping Will active while in his little cell, and this week continued that trend. Will steered Chilton into getting access to a not-dead-after-all Abel Gideon (Eddie Izzard, playing things a little less crazy than when we last saw him) under the guise of helping Chilton get some cred in the psychology community by catching the Chesapeake Ripper when all Will wanted was Gideon to spill the beans and confirm his theory that Hannibal is the Ripper.

Gideon being our proto-Lecter, however, wasn't willing to talk because where's the fun in that, so, instead, Will turned to Freddie Lounds for help in attracting his admirer from "Hassun" and to enlist that person to kill Hannibal. And that person turned out to be... the orderly in the hospital played by Jonathan Tucker, a killer looking for a partner in homicide, another hawk to assist in scaring off all the little birds around him. 

This is where Will Graham finds himself. Stricken with grief and guilt over Beverly's death, he turns to a bumbling psychiatrist to get access to a killer who's identity is wobbly at best and then has to rely on a woman who has dragged his name through the mud more than a few times to be put into communication with another killer who feels like they have a special connection. He had to do this now. Beverly went right to the truth and it got her killed. He can't have that happen again, and with her dead, it's only a matter of time before someone else gets onto the right trail.

The episode ended where we began. Not literally, of course, but in a similarly operatic and ridiculous fashion. Hannibal in swimming trunks, noose around his neck, wrist sliced open and splayed in the style of crucifixion, all while balancing precariously on a bucket. This is too much, but I feel that it was that way on purpose. It's the orderly doing his overworked imitation of a murder tableau and being way out of his element. There's no actual artistry to it; it's just the vulgarity of a mind left to its own devices. It looks "good" because of the show picking a great spot, but from a character perspective, there's no there there.

Like in Season 1, as Hannibal provided Will with a negative to see the positive, so too does the show here. It's all very convenient how the narrative dominoes fall to allow Gideon to give Alana the necessary tidbit that led to her and Jack searching for Hannibal, supplemented by the cellphone triangulating to get to the pool, so of course there's a last minute rescue. It's an opera. What did you expect?

À LA CARTE

– As two folks in my Twitter feed noted—@TVAndDinners and @carouselcarouse—in addition to being anatomical models, Beverly's sawed up remains were very reminiscent of some of Damien Hirst's projects, like "The Black Sheep with Golden Horns (Divided)."

– "I strangle Beverly Katz...looking in her eyes. She knows me. And I know her. I expertly squeeze the life from her, rendering her unconscious. I freeze her body, preserving shape and form so I can more cleanly dismantle her. She cuts like stone. I pull her apart, layer by layer, like she would a crime scene.This is my design. I will leave no useable evidence, but she found something. She found me. What she found is already gone. [the manstag lurks behind the cases] What did I take from her?"

– I really missed Freddie. I know we saw her in the trial, but I missed her in her natural element, and I'm glad that as the show dealt with the loss of one its female characters, it brought another one to the forefront.

– "Though the bailiff was a bitch to get on that stag's head." Tucker's casual but self-assured TV-crazy was great. Also: He didn't kill the judge in Will's trial. So those of you who thought the admirer was/is Hannibal, may turn out to be half-right!

– Your music selections of week! For breakfast, it was the first movement of Schumann's Kinderszenen, Op. 15, which is entitled "Von fremden Ländern und Menschen". Then, the show switched to diegetic music as Jack and Hannibal dined, and it was Claude Debussy's "La Cathédrale Engloutie." Sadly, I couldn't make out what was playing during Hannibal's and Chilton's chat in Hannibal's office, and my music app was annoyed by all the dialogue. If you recognized it, let me know in the comments, please. I'll award you a No-Prize. (Bryan Fuller, thankfully, provided the Debussy piece on Twitter, because I couldn't hear it.) Update: Commenter nightcrew says it was Chopin, but isn't sure which. Go listen to all the Chopin! It's good for you, I promise! 

– Again: Hannibal in swimming trunks, standing on a bucket, with a noose around his neck and his wrists cut open. It's like the show just wants certain elements of the fandom to go to bed really happy.

How did "Mukozuke" taste going down?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

191 Comments
Comments (191)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I personally disliked Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal (I know, a lot of people disagree) because he lacked the refinement and class that Hannibal has (I read the books before I saw the movie). It's something that Mikelson has done flawlessly, and has created a far more accurate Hannibal, at least in my opinion. Even the physical scenes when he has to get his hands dirty retain that level of refinement. And I mention this because it ties in with the theme. The tableaus are a perfect example. On the one hand you have Hannibal who created the perfect compliment for the person he killed (I don't think it's possible to talk about this show without sounding like a serial killer). Compared to the heavy handed attempt at symbolism displayed by an obvious amateur, Lecter is a master at his craft. This show and the Hannibal books are an essay into the human fascination with death and aesthetics. Even though Hannibal and Tucker are performing the same acts in a similar way (stylised death) there is a lot more respect for Hannibal, because of the way he does it. It's a true example of how we can forgive gruesome and disgusting things when they are covered with charm and class. That quality is one I found sorely lacking in Hopkins Lecter, and the same is what makes Mikelson and this show so compelling.
More+
Flag
It's strange. Up until this weekend, the last Hannibal episode I'd watched was the 2nd of the season. Three weeks passed, more episodes filled my DVR, all remaining unwatched. I finally got around to them and I had to ask myself, "This show is so damn good. So damn weird. So damn creepy. Why on early did you put off watching it?". With different criteria, I had the same reaction to The Americans. The best answer I could come up with is that both shows, though very different, by contrast to the rest of the TV landscape are exceptionally original, and so original that I've almost got to clear my regular TV watching frame of mind and prepare myself...which makes watching 3-4 episodes at a time makes sense. Or, at least that how I'm rationalizing to myself.

I have nothing but praise for every aspect of this show. The acting, the writing, the cinemetagraphy, the cool little directorial tricks...EVERYTHING! It's amazing!

IF I had a complaint, and I'm not entirely sure if I do, it's the suspention of disbelief with Hannibal's extravogent murders/displays. I mean, I know this dude is a badass and well established serial killer...BUT...I'm to believe he killed Beverly, froze her body solid, sliced her up, put each piece between two huge panes of glass with precision, transported to the observatory and displayed them...all in a single night?

Hmm...I'm not so sure about that.

Oh, and if I have another complaint it's that Beverly's dead :(
More+
Flag
I relished in that moment Matthew Brown had Dr Lecter in such state. So sadistic!
Shouldn't have done away with him so soon though.
Flag
Oh...another very strange 'shout-out': When Hanni was eating his kidney pie, the crust looked almost identical to the no-bite muzzle/mask that Anthony Hopkins wore in Silence.
Flag
This is the closer Damian Hirst artwork that Beverly Katz's crime scene was modeled after. http://www.damienhirst.com/some-comfort-gained-from-the-a

Also, the movie The Cell greatly cribbed from this piece as well for one of the 'dream' diving sequences.
Flag
***mr. branson, thank you for the private use of your plane on such short notice. it was quite generous and gracious of you. i know we have not been in contact since two summers ago in rome. however, it has come to my attention that i may need to return to the states to assuage some bruised feelings. pssst. just between you and me, if you do not hear from me within 24 hrs of my return to the states, i may have fallen prey to expert cutlery skills. describing unique characteristics to sketch artist of person of interest.***
Flag
@noelrk and vicky, your conversation is so cute and to think that it is an offshoot of a satirical, innoncent moment i was attempting to have with harpier. i love a good sense of humor. sure it's great to analyze and dissect hannibal's body count, but humor really is an elixir for the soul. just because the subject matter at hand is beyond dark does not mean there cannot be some harmless moments of levity.
Flag
It was a master piece of art displaying Beverly that way
Flag
Wow. THIS is a great show. I never cared for Beverly, but seeing her that caused so many feels. I love you, Bryan Fuller and crew.
Flag
A lot happened and it is good to see Will a lot less powerless than when this season started. I get his unwillingness to tell Jack about who his suspect is as the real Cheaspeake killer and also his recourse to the awful Freddie, and talking to Gideon...
What I see as less logical and less plausible is sending a psycho-orderly he barely knows to kill Hannibal... Not sure what that would achieve beyond straight revenge? That feels a bit out of character for Will to me.... Perhaps if Hannibal gets killed his creepy underground would raise some questions but Will cannot know this right? or would he count on that... Also, I may have missed something but I didn't find the orderly very convincing either. He seemed like a cheap movie thin character of a psycho... Nice abs though
Flag
delectable abs are not to be summarily dismissed. on this show where someone's liver is shown with the meticulous photographic pomp and circumstance of a vogue spread, it's stimulating to see a little beefcake no matter how psychotic that is not being shoved down hannibal's insatiable gullet to satisfy his cannibalistic proclivities.

i applaud will's resourcefulness in using whatever weapons happen to be at his disposal. some viewers have pointed out that with or without will's permission, will's lovelorn admirer was going to kill again so why not channel that psychotic energy. any hand that frees the world of the reign of terror of hannibal is a dark angel to be applauded.
Flag
Yes, that music was indeed Chopin, Nocturne op.27 no.1
Flag
dam!! RIP Beverly and that orderly was mighty sly!!!
Flag
I didn't think that I would be a fan of this show, as I was one of those who could not imagine anyone as Hannibal Lecter other than Anthony Hopkins (with all due respect to Brian Cox from Manhunter), but, I must confess, I've been converted. Mads Mikkelsen has made me a believer. He does an excellent job of reinterpreting Hannibal as a role that he was born to play. It kinda reminds of the Marlon Brando/Robert DeNiro depictions of Vito Corleone. They were both phenomenal, yet, very different!

And in this episode I absolutely loved the paradox of seeing Will Graham in straitjacket and face mask, as fans of the Hannibal character know, is a trademark of how he's "fondly" remembered.

I think this show is very well done. It pays homage to the characters as written by Thomas Harris, while at the same time, not making them slaves to the depictions that most fans are familiar with.

I look forward to watching how each episode further redefines the characters. Not to mention, the unmasking of Hannibal Lecter as the mass murdering sociopath that he is.
Flag
This was a good episode, but it wasn't a great one. It hurt, and that was beautiful, but it almost felt over-the-top in how Will reacted, because that's what he did - react - when he should have continued plotting. Showing her cards was Beverly's mistake, and doing the same only served to dishonor her and tip off Hannibal.
Flag
this episode had so much momentum.
cannot wait for the next episode!!!
Flag
Hannibal chose victims he deemed deserved to be treated as animals because they were "rude". Tobias was the first to recognize who he really was but his boldness in thinking he was equal to Hannibal as a lover of the arts and his hubris was his rude undoing and Hannibal killed him with the statue of the stag, but did not take a trophy from him. Gideon was manipulated into believing he was the ripper, but he actually was Hannibal's equal as a physician, and an intelligent psychopath, much more like Hannibal. Hannibal was using him to manipulate Will, but if anyone has figured out who Hannibal really is, it is Gideon and he enjoys the game too much and Hannibal does not consider him a threat. I think Hannibal and Gideon respect each other too much and are 'not telling' because it is like they are playing a game of go, analyzing each other's strategy and predicting the other's next move. Beverly was dissected when she followed the evidence straight to Hannibal. Unlike his other kills Hannibal did treat her with more respect than his other victims. He took a part of her, but he put something back, the kidney, the evidence she followed to Hannibal. Then he consumed the evidence (her kidney). Unlike the judge who Hannibal displayed in a parody of justice not only being blind but mindless and heartless. Hannibal killed Beverly but like the missing FBI agent his subtext paid homage to her dogged pursuit of objective evidence.
More+
Flag
i am bewildered when i read about hannibal's magnanimous respect for his undeserved victims who he has deprived of life and liberty. there is no homage when one is at the mercy of someone else's psychotic and murderous whim. that's like saying that goldfinger preserved shirley eaton's youthful beauty in goldfinger when he callously suffocated her in gold paint.

hannibal is a coward. he pontificated to bella, another one of his victims, that he had made his peace with death. that is a lie. no one who so desperately tries to evade capture as hannibal and who has gone to the great and homicidal lengths as cannibal has done has not made their peace with death.

if i were to ask will graham's character if he believed that hannibal's misanthropy toward his victims was respect or the most virulent of contempt, i do not think will would be singing hannibal's praises. of course, will graham is yet another of hannibal's victims. hannibal respects will so much that he orchestrated will being committed and was willing to allow will to die from will's untreated disease which hannibal misdiagnosed on purpose. so not only is hannibal a cruel murderer, but a quack doctor as well.
More +
Flag
Remember that Will profiled Hannibal as perceiving his victims as "pigs". He always took something from them, his trophy and he usually posed them to somehow mock them for their rudeness. Beverly is the only one of his victims so far that he actually put something back. He killed her to protect his secret but he did not choose her to be his victim just as he did not choose to kill Tobias until he tried to kill him. Pretty sure he killed the judge though.
Flag
it's so sad and i hate to admit this, but i did not appreciate beverly as much as i do now until she became hannibal's victim.

i was late seeing beverly's light and now it is snuffed out. there is no second chance at life on hannibal.
Flag
Hannibal uses the soundtrack and cinematography brilliantly!
Flag
Did anyone notice the parallels between the Rorschach image of the stone behind the torture tableau (Hannibal, restrained and noosed) and the memorable moth image from Silence of the Lambs? It was like a shout out to me. Plus, the way the rock was sliced to reveal it's cross-section was much in the same vein as poor Beverly's sectioned death.
Flag
music with Hannibal and Chilton was Chopin...but don't recall which one.
Flag
Extremely powerful. The way Beverly was put on display and forced those that cared about her to see her in that way is very emotional. Even though our spirits/souls may be forever intact.... doing this to survivors of a loved one is probably the worst thing you could ever do. For an intelligent psychopath this is merely a concept that he's taking in and examining.

Great episode though!
Flag
Yo Noel,

Must have gotten the idea for displaying Beverly's remains from The Cell - another amazing serial killer movie. Hirst disected, but The Cell took it to the next level...
Flag
I realize that The Cell is probably the most memorable film version of this practice, and one that Hannibal potentially drew from, but anatomical cross sections of human specimens are common in most body exhibits for the past twenty or so years all over the world. Though, like The Cell's dismantling of the horse, they usually cut front to back or top to bottom instead of side to side like Beverly.

Image of Dr. Gunther von Hagens, the anatomist who invented plastination, among several cross sections at one of his Body Worlds exhibits.
Flag
I'm not sure I like Will becoming WILLTLER.

J/K I'm always in a happy mood after watching Hannibal. Weird? Not really. At some point the brain rewards itself for stomaching a full bowl of its favorite jelly beans.
Great episode Hannibal, that's how you let the viewers FEEL a character's death - hear me TW?
Last week I was harsh with Beverly but in the end it was sad and I guess she paid the toll in full. So Will went to the dark side and excuse me, but the opportunity was too good to pass by, right? Possible win win? Although the way it played out he has probably driven Alana closer to Hannibal... outch?
Fishburne was really, really good IMO and Hannibal switching to wimsy psychiatrist in danger was a delight, a genuine comic relief in a tense finale.
I was thinking Gideon (glad to see you back Dr Gideon) was dead(why actually?b/c of being shot? bigdeal), both kills were done by Hannibal and there is no copycat(lol) so a big tip o' the hat to Vicky! (Although she probably cheats and is Gillian Anderson or has a time machine OR BOTH) (J/K) Or not.

More+
Flag
I like it. That darker side plays closer to certain aspects of "Red Dragon" where BLANK, BLANK, BLANK happens and he questions if it was intentional. I also really wonder if BLANK, BLANK, BLANK will happen to BLANK, most likely, next season.
Flag
Goodness, I've read Red Dragon three times and I still have no idea what you're alluding to, but kudos for editing out spoilers.
Flag
I so want to say what I'm referring to, but I don't want to in case the show plans on using it, like it does a lot of book material.
Flag
It's better this way. Maybe you were a little too cryptic but encouraging people to read Red Dragon is a good thing and spoiling not so much.
Flag
I did not like the Gideon retcon, but this episode was still the best thing on television this week.
Flag
he he... in the words of Rob Thomas (of Veronica Mars), there is "dead-dead" and "TV-dead"... the latter a lot more flexible obviously... it is a bit ludicrous when overused (like in The Vampire Diaries) but here it was not overly eye-rolling to me...
Flag
one rule of tv and movies: never assume someone is dead unless you see the body and even then you may need more confirmation
Flag
Staff
I don't know that qualifies as a retcon since his death was never confirmed by the series. It was just left as a question mark.
Flag
I know, but since the characters knew Gideon had survived, there was no reason not to give us viewers that information back in season one. A lot of dialogue around Gideon in this episode (especially his conversation with Alana) felt a lot like backtracking and trying to justify his survival, which lessened the impact a bit.
Flag
I liked it that this season, the story is moving faster even with Will in a cell. It is making me excited and looking forward to the next episode.

For a long time, viewers of the show had no real hate for Hannibal of this show and many do not even see him as the evil guy. Now with the death of Beverly, we have begin to start to hate the Hannibal in this show.

I thought Will had a very smart reason which I missed to bring Gideon back. If it is just to confirm Hannibal is the ripper, it sounds kind of silly.

He already knows the answer, why have Gideon to confirm? It seems just a convenient way to allow Bloom to know about his intention and then to save Hannibal in the end.

Hannibal cannot die so the writers have to find a way to save him but it is just not a very intelligent way. I expected more from this show.

Flag
Remember Chilton is listening so if Gideon confirms, there will be a record of it.
Flag
Guess you are right. Thanks !
Flag
Will needs Gideon to confirm that Hannibal is the ripper not for Will's sake because Will is absolutely certain of it. He needs it because no one else believes him and if he can get another person to confirm his story then Crawford and the crew might start to look in Hannibal's direction. I assume with another person confirming the story Crawford might be inclined to think "What are the chances that two serial killers have pointed at the same very unlikely man?"
Flag
Guess you are right. Thanks !
Flag
uh, if i did not already have reason to hate hannibal--his half-naked physique notwithstanding--i certainly had a reason after his deplorable inhumane treatment of will and his callous behavior toward sweet bella not to mention his barely concealed contempt for jack crawford who at this point looks like a first-rate boob. dolly parton's boobs look less like boobs than the boob that crawford looks like right now.
Flag
You're a funny one, cinemale. I am enjoying reading your commentary.
Flag
i appreciate it. thank you.

as you can see, i straddle the line between tongue and cheek and serious in tone. some viewers get me and even for those who do not i enjoy reading other commentaries as well. some of them are really thought-provoking and some of them are really off the wall, but overall i like the interaction.

i am surprised to be watching this series at all. i am usually not the blood and gore type. what has lured me is hugh dancy's performance which rivals both jodie foster's wide-eyed glare from silence of the lambs and edward norton's confused, fragile waif from red dragon.

and in the interest of full disclosure, i have to admit that mads mikkelsen seduced me as the james bond villain, le chiffre, in casino royale. any man who cries blood tears was born to play hannibal.

mads mikkelsen has brought an elegant sexuality and cold eroticism to hannibal that anthony hopkins could not pull off. hannibal is so aryan with his chiseled cheekbones and athletic physique. as a man, mads mikkelsen will always get high marks from me. however, as hannibal lecter, i want to see his naked body submerged in honey and then i want...well, i am not sure what i want after that...the thought of his nude physique coated in honey distracted me...
More +
Flag
@questionmarq, believe it or not that was the least of the problems with hannibal although the whole concept was an egregious offense to good taste. hannibal seemed like it was an excuse to push a pile of money at anthony hopkins and anthony not being a fool said: i'll take it wish a devilish grin. yet and still that movie did nothing for julianne moore's credibility. it made her look like a wh...***look around where is that butcher harpier?***

uh, what i meant to say was that by taking the part in hannibal it made julianne moore look like the kind of loose spirited woman that would take money for services that may not intrinsically have any merit.***still looking around cautiously for harpier.***

if you want to see anthony hopkins doing a more layered, nuanced take on his cannibalistic tendencies as dr. hannibal lecter, check out titus. it also takes a strong stomach to watch, but it is a fascinating rendition of the bard's most violent play.
Flag
This episode was so interesting mostly cause the show let the characters grieve. And the way Beverly was displayed was both artistic and cold.
Freddie is back and every time I see her I remember how much Hannibal detests rude people.
How it was pointed that Alana is catnip for psychopaths was kinda amusing.
Yes I admit that when Hannibal was crucified I was thinking damn this is disturbing and damn he has nice abs.
And what's the deal with Gideon? is he bored? and wasn't he suppossed to be more inestable?
Flag
Although, Freddie may have performed her first ever selfless act outside the observatory when she tried to dissuade Jack from going in.
Flag
nice abs? i never noticed hannibal's nice abs. i was too busy wondering if that was his package in his trunks or had fedex made a special delivery right before will's lovelorn admirer trussed hannibal up.
Flag
Spectacular. This show just keeping getting better and better. Slicing Beverly up and putting her on display was a great way to jump out there. Putting her on display for Jack and then for Will was a masterful stroke by Hannibal and replacing her kidneys was a genius move. However, it might cost him in the future. All of that and that little subtle nod of recognition or of appreciation when he ate her kidney's was pretty great. As if those that have the intelligence to find him taste just a little bit better than the "free range rude" that he is used too consuming. Very well done by the show.

Speaking of the "Free Range Rude", now that we know the Ordely was the one that killed the Bailiff I still have to put the Judge at Hannibal's feet. We know that he kills the people that he dislikes and slights him in a way . We saw that with his rolodex last season. The Judge kind of dismissed his testimony for Will last and I think that might be enough for him to take it out on the Judge. But I guess time will tell.

The orderly however, did get to him. It wasn't particularly ingenious, or methodical, it was more direct than anything. Which kind of shows a method to get to Hannibal. If you go the long way around and try to out think him, he is going to figure it out and adapt and get you first. But you go up to him and plug him with a tranquilizer dart in the back. His mistake was that he was an average bad guy, that succumbed to the bad guy speech. Also his method of interrogating was dumb, he must have learned it from the Hospital Doc. Pupil dilation is subjective, particularly when you have a man that is bleeding out and whose adrenaline is spiking. It is just as accurate as any of the methods of using technology to glean the truth of someone. Polygraphs, Pupil Dilation, Voice Stress Analysis, and even FMRI's are all about as good as a guess. He should have known that. Also, if Hannibal had the faculties enough to set up the Orderly to get shot by Jack he had the faculties to lie to the Orderly. And the Ripper is the name that lesser people have given to Hannibal, he wouldn't physically respond to it in such a manner. I am sure he dislikes the name and finds it crude and pedestrian compared to what he does.

Now will on the other hand. He is starting to show his horns, or well antlers as it were. I have to wonder if this was Hannibal's plan all along to turn Will to be more like him. Will is slowing becoming a master manipulator, first with the Beverly, then with the Hospital doc, then with Freddie, then with the Orderly. But he is knew to all of this and got the wrong person killed. Though I am not sure it is his fault. She overreached, she should have gone to Jack, she thought she was smart enough, She was not. I am sure that Will regrets her death, but I think he is hanging the rest of them out there to be killed by Hannibal, he doesn't care about the Hospital Doc or Freddie or the Orderly, if Hannibal kills them then all the better. There is no real loss there other than despicable people dying. But he is new to this, and he screwed up. He should have given the Orderly explicit instructions, you leave him to his own devices or instincts and he is going to try something grand like he did, and Hannibal lives. You tell him to go and put a bullet in his head and it is done.

He also didn't consider the fall out. Hannibal knows Will sent him. Will is in a cage. Will has people that he cares about on the outside, Doctor Bloom most notably. Hannibal can punish Will without even touching him. Will needs to be way more tactical about it. He is focused too much on retribution and not the game, this is chess. He was doing so well with the Hospital Doc and Freddie and playing them extremely well. His mistake could cost someone he loves. Hannibal is going to punish him and it is going to be fantastic.

Excellent episode. Very good review Noel.
More+
Flag
***cloning myself on account that just when i thought i could only be smitten by one or two analyses i now find myself enjoying divergent views if for no other reason that they are extremely well written.***

***clearing throat and straightening my tie before i approach***uh, that was an exemplary review you wrote, but if i may be so bold as to speak my mind, will's lovelorn admirer should not be so summarily dismissed. he found hannibal without hannibal even realizing that he was being followed; he caught hannibal at his virtual most vulnerable and neutralized him. no, he did not kill hannibal as will wanted, but that was because will was too gabby within gideon's earshot. hannibal did not lead jack to save him from will's lovelorn admirer. it was ole big mouth nameless as i refer to alana these days when i am not mildy suggesting that she may possess whorish tendencies.

will's vulnerability and fragile humanity is what will best hannibal in the end and not his adopting hannibal's cruel inhumane methodology. in the words of edward norton from red dragon: hannibal will be caught because he possesses certain disadvantages...he's insane.
Flag
Thanks.

The Orderly shouldn't be dismissed. Well maybe a little bit, he fell into the bad guy speech, or in his case questions. He did get to Hannibal by being direct. The most direct so far. Hannibal for all of his intelligence is still human, humans make mistakes. One of his mistakes will likely be routine. If Will learns a lesson from this it should be the direct approach might be the best approach in dealing with Hannibal. I agree that his humanity is going to be what puts him ahead of Hannibal and that sinking, or rising depending on your perspective, to Hannibal's level isn't going to win it for Will. Hannibal is too comfortable there.

Hannibal did not lead Jack to save him, that is very true. But he did manage blurt out that he had a gun so that Jack could kill him rather than take him into custody where he could be interrogated and perhaps reveal that A. Will sent him and B. Hannibal is the Ripper, thus corroborating Will's theory and giving more perspective to Jack to see through the mist that Hannibal has around him.

But one thing that I am questioning is where Will asked the Orderly to kill Hannibal. He could have done it in the cage where he knew they were alone. He knew that Gideon was right there. He likely knew that Gideon, because of his dislike of Will and wanting to get back at him. I have to wonder if Will sent the Orderly to Hannibal to insure his death. Will is a cop, he is a catcher of killers, that isn't something that is erased once you lock him up. The Orderly was going to kill again and again whether Will was his mentor or not. I have to wonder if he figured that The Orderly didn't stand a chance against Hannibal and was using him to clean up a mess and perhaps maybe a shot across the bow so to speak to show Hannibal that he can reach out of his cell and assert himself through others, just like he did with Beverly and he is doing with the Hospital Doc.

Either way, it is interesting and one of the best shows on tv. Also, I read your review and it is very well done.
More +
Flag
With regard to Will sending the orderly after Hannibal, Will may have figured that if the orderly killed Hannibal, great; if not, Hannibal would kill the orderly. Either way, a killer is taken out of the picture. Will couldn't really lose in that situation.

Also, I'm sure Will wanted Gideon to hear his instructions to the orderly.
Flag
*blushing*

thank you. this is truly a case of it taking one to know one. in fact...

***mental note: you do not have time to write an articulate, incisive reply. you are on the run from harpier. did you forget? harpier is a butcher. a butcher for god's sake. what's the next step after butchering? eating people. oh my god, soylent green is people. soylent green is people.***
Flag
Alright, I can officially say that the show's opener was nightmare material and put 'The Cell' to shame. Absolutely sick, and brilliant. Hannibal grinding up the organs and his sincere smile when he tasted his own work is also the stuff bad dreams are made of. Damn... this show puts shock value to a new level in what is permissible, and does it SO well.
Flag
@harpier***waving a white flag***

which disturbs you more: countless caps of animals and human being sliced and diced or the whore of babylon and mata hari being called whores? just askin.

truth be told, the ubiquitous dismemberments are leading me to be a vegetarian.
Flag
I assure you, I had no intention of soliciting a surrender. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what for. *scrunches brow in puzzlement*

As for your question, if you're actually asking, I suppose it depends on the tone with which each is done. I'm not particularly squeamish about butchery, and have done a little of my own, but I hardly ever feel that animal cruelty (when applicable) or murder or human dismemberment are ever condoned. Calling women "whores" is troublesome to me precisely because it doesn't trouble a lot of people. It's used as a way to degrade women for whom it is not true by attacking their sexual decisions and a way of dehumanizing and castigating women for who are prostitutes regardless of the actions and circumstances that led them to be so. It also often supposes an idea of sex that I don't necessarily agree with. *steps down of soap box*

All that said, I was vegetarian once. Mostly to prove that I could be. Hannibal usually just makes me hungry.
Flag
***did not notice a single other word after harpier wrote about having done some butchery. oh my god, it's a real life hannibal lecter. flying around my house at warp speed like dr. dumarier. i gotta get the hell out of the country. oh my god. a cannibal. a real life hannibal the cannibal. on the phone with travel agency to see when the next concorde leaves. thinking, thinking. i have got to adopt a new identity and a new profession. a cannnibal. oh my god. and just when i thought we could bond over mutual appreciation of half-naked well-toned male flesh. of course harpier likes nudity--easier to butcher. still screaming while on the concorde flight. everyone is staring, but i don't care. i was in close proximity to a real life hannibal the cannibal. still screaming as a write farewell note to noel,***
Flag
Seriously? I recognize the hyperbole, but still. Really? Because I know how to field dress a deer and clean a chicken, I'm a cannibal? Because I have a more immediate sense of how meat ends up in the grocery store, you'll flee to Europe?

Yeah, we should have been able to bond over a few well-toned physical specimens. But this just seems hysterical. In more ways than one.
Flag
*sending a video statement from witness protection still heavily disguised*

um, harpier, i think the traits that you so eloquently articulated...field dressing deer and beheading...i mean cleaning a chicken are quite admirable and all i can say is that my adrenaline elevated a bit, but now as i reflect back in my safe, undisclosed, heavily guarded location i see that i may have been a tad bit hyper-vigilant.

***scouring the perimeter for any unknown vehicles. monitoring the security cameras. in constant walkie-talkie contact with the overhead helicopters.***

i think in the not too distant future, we shall look back on this itsy-bitsy, teentsy-weeny moment and chuckle like two old friends over a sumptuous meal of venison swedish meatballs and lightly breaded chicken livers.

***reinforcing to cadre of security personnel: under no circumstances, under absolutely no circumstances allow anyone within two hundred feet of this sacred haven without my permission. i can assure you all that if my orders are not followed to the letter that heads will roll like a chicken and i may not be the one holding the machete.***
Flag
I don't think there are any Concorde flights anymore….
Flag
Thanks for reminding me of my age! Now I have "gimme some water" stuck in my head!

Mossad--like they would associate themselves with such an imprecise and chaotic system as the (nonmilitary) travel business. It seems more like the competence level of the CIA (and their incompetent trading of guns for drugs…or is it drugs for guns…lol).

My parents once flew on a Concorde (in the 70s I think) to get back home after my grandfather had a heart attack. I've always wanted to fly on one so years ago I looked it up to see the cost but they were no longer in service. Interesting tidbit I learned a while back (from Wiki):
"On 11 April 2003, Virgin Atlantic founder Sir Richard Branson announced that the company was interested in purchasing British Airways’ Concorde fleet for their nominal original price of £1 (US$1.57 in April 2003) each.[175][176] British Airways dismissed the idea, prompting Virgin to increase their offer to £1 million each.[177][178] Branson claimed that when BA was privatised, a clause in the agreement required them to allow another British airline to operate Concorde if BA ceased to do so, but the Government denied the existence of such a clause.[179] In October 2003, Branson wrote in The Economist that his final offer was "over £5 million" and that he had intended to operate the fleet "for many years to come".[180]"

More +
Flag
Staff
Lies! When did you become a mouthpiece for the shadowy cabal of travel agents, Vicky? Everyone knows that travel agencies are fronts for the Soviets or for Mossad! ...Or they're run by Eddie Money.

Flag
@noelrk
if you watch pointless reality shows like the Amazing Race you would know that outside the USA many countries have travel agencies located in buildings you actually have to visit rather than just buy tickets online;-) Hmm, I wonder if there are any "physical" travel agencies left in the USA…
Flag
Staff
The Concorde is what you're focused on? Where did cinemale find a travel agency this day in age?
Flag
great. just great. now the tender succulent morsel that i am is going to be someone's entree'. this can't be the end. it just can't. what a world, what a world.

no, no, it can't end like this. hmmm...gotta think. okay, if the concorde is no longer making flights, i will just charter a private plane incognito. donning sunglasses and understated but elegant travel apparel. flips red scarf over shoulders. why a red scarf you ask for someone traveling incognito? well, quite simply, it makes the rest of the ensemble pop. just because i am on the run does not mean i have become a barbarian. even in a bid for self-preservation, style must rule the day.
Flag
remember this flick?

Flag
dAMNIT THIS SHOW is so goooooooooOOOOOOOOOD
Flag
Kudos for your reviews they always make me think and IMO photo recaps are more entertaining when the show isn't that well structured. Anyway, what an episode and though I still mourn B Katz it was amazing what Hannibal did there.
I've always thought this is more of a mind game show, in a "let's see how we can manipulate or alter ones person action for a bigger plot",so that's why I think bringing back Gideon was a smart (and unexpected) twist to the story. This show is so great, seeing Will out of his cell and watching Bev's display was incredible. Loved the way the orderly wanted to do an elaborate display and failed to; also wasn't expecting him to get Hannibal so easy, this-Show- never fails to impress me. Can't wait for the next and oh I hate Freddie so much that I enjoy her involvement for the story's sake, that character is a needed pain in the *$$.
Flag
hmmm...easy. i kinda liked that the show reminded us that although hannibal is super-depraved, he is not superhuman. he cannot be emotionally hurt like an ordinary man, but he can be physically captured. we know that hannibal can be physically captured because many of us have seen silence of the lambs of some of us have seen manhunter.

i think we also forget that there seems to be a plethora of cunning psychopaths in the realm of the universe that hannibal inhabits. new lunatics seem to be born everyday in his world.

will's lovelorn admirer will always have a special place in my heart if for no other reason than his appearance stripped hannibal of some of his armor so to speak***and yes, i am still somewhat discombobulated after witnessing hannibal's near nudity. i was not expecting that so i had not prepared my mind for the sudden tableau.***
Flag
I thought the admirer was Hannibal in the beginning, until Will did his assessment of the bailiff's murder, so I knew Hannibal wasn't the bailiff's murderer, but then I assumed the admirer killed both the bailiff and the judge. I was kind of disappointed that Will was in such a hurry to have his new friend go kill Hannibal, and then everything fall into place so conveniently to have Hannibal rescued. (okay, I realize this show isn't always logical and I accept that, lol)

Didn't Will say, at some point in this episode, that the Chesapeake Ripper killed the judge? Too many little things happened in this episode, I should watch it again.

Flag
I too was just wrong about suspecting the same killer for both the judge and the bailiff. I wonder what Will would "see" if he worked his mojo on the judge's crime scene. In retrospect, it's very telling that he never did. I would have thought that he'd been told about the judge and, like everyone else, assumed the same man responsible for the bailiff, but it'd be fascinating if he thought the Ripper responsible for the judge.

Also in retrospect, and drawing off of Noel's intriguing analysis of Hannibal's various murder tableaux, the judge was a much more innovative and elegant (if I may use that word for a murder scene) and meaningful portrait. The bailiff was a tribute tableau, compiling and copying all of "Will Graham's" kill scenes. The judge was something new, and it turned out to be grimly poetic, something the admirer-copycat proves himself very ill-adept at with Hannibal's Judas crucifixion.
Flag
the judge in death was grotesquely beautiful (poetic) which is why I didn't think the bailiff killer and the judge killer where the same. I look at the death poses as art…then again other serial killers on the show had "beautiful" displays but the bailiff one had those antlers so it was a give away imo compared to the judge who reflected Hannibal's sense of drama and "beauty" (I hope it was Hannibal or there goes my theory). Beauty isn't the right word but it's the best I could come up with
Flag
hey, hey, will's lovelorn admirer stripped himself down and caught hannibal with his um guard down so to speak. if that is not adept and poetic and elegant, then i do not know what is.***okay, now i will stop looking at that cap of will's lovelorn admirer and half-naked hannibal every five seconds.***
Flag
I admit, I will never complain about that image...ever. *scrolls back up for another look*
Flag
***howling like a hyena with laughter.***
Flag
Gideon: "Dr. Bloom, you're a flower blooming amongst weeds." And now it hit me! After "Pushing Daisies," (which had a lot of daisies, by the way), Bryan Fuller used the star of Wonderfalls to play a character named "Bloom." And, by the way, in "Dead Like Me," Laura Harris (no connection with Thomas) played a character named Daisy Adair.

And Hannibal's Chilton is played by Raúl Esparza, who played Alfredo Aldarisio in that show about bees (which reminds me of the last episode), and was an itinerant salesman who sold homeopathic herbal mood enhancers, which are obviously made from plants and flowers. So, even in the midst of all this gore (which Fuller didn't create, since it comes from Harris' books and movies based on them), Bryan Fuller also gives us his personal tender touch. It's right there, like a delicate flower we smell, right under our noses. Which would make an excellent ingredient for a soup...

And I agree the use of classical music in Hannibal is brilliant and totally enhances the mood, and relates with Hannibal's classy character. This is the great difference between a masterpiece like Hannibal and shows from a certain network that will use the same tired pop songs as score, no matter if the story takes place far in the future or in the Renaissance (yes, I'm looking at you, The CW), which makes the whole thing artistic hollow.

Another unrelated thing: it's interesting how cultural stigmas repel us from eating human flesh. Personally, I have shudders just to think of it. But in some human cultures, it's been known to happen for several different reasons, and not all of them negative. And the way Hannibal prepares his dishes with such finesse, it does make the meat look like a treat. God forbid someone to be forced to eat human flesh, but if one has to do it, that would be the best way to, methinks...

I just hope Hannibal the show, unlike the character's victims, gets a chance to breathe for a few more seasons.

More+
Flag
God forbid someone to be forced to eat human flesh, but if one has to do it, that would be the best way to, methinks...
lol The only probable reason I can think of to be forced to eat human meat is starving to death. I can only imagine a scenery in which I starve to death but still have a full equipped high-end kitchen to create those impressive dishes. Would be fun. *I have everything here, fresh and exquisite but damn I lack meat! There is a corpse though...* lol But if a cannibal forces me to participate I would demand something with finesse too, you're right.
Flag
oh, if only cultural stigmas repelled us from dehumanizing others based on hues and complexions.

but back to the idea of eating people. i once had a supervisor who just blurted out one day that human flesh is quite satiating. i never asked her how she knew that. also from that day forward i never had dinner at her house and i never wandered into her basement while she was a the hospital gloating over the rational suicide she thwarted of another person on the journey to eternal peace.

i can kinda understand how some cultures could think that eating an opponent is the ultimate victory by consuming their flesh, but it is loathsome to me for someone to add insult to the injury of killing an innocent human being by going a step further and eating them.

however, i do understand wanting to imbibe the strength and vigor of another person. if i happened upon a man with the strength of a lion and the spirit of a tiger i might be tempted to make his strength my own, but certainly i would never eat him. surely in this modern age there must be a way to milk a man of his strength and suck the potent sap out of him without killing him.***trying to suppress a giggle as i type. hey, at least i don't write sh*t like: there's no such thing as racist serial killers because serial killers are the epitome of color-blind what hogwash.***
More +
Flag
i thought the tableau was perfect, very artistic in a sense and very clinical to me it seemed less disrespectful to Beverly in a way hannibal is paying respects (in a odd way) to a great character. im quite shocked on how fast the show is moving based on the previews, jack will most likely find human DNA in the food, although the dinner party seemed too open i always thought hannibal served human flesh to his guests in a more intimate situation. Alana and hannibal sleeping together didnt seem bad to me just cause im assuming its a hannibal manipulation to further hurt or confuse Will and to also help protect himself. after this season im assuming the chase for hannibal will begin so they can move onto the other books?
Flag
I don't think they can find human DNA in the food because the Vergers are coming in soon and I believe that Hannibal treats Mason, although of course that might change.
Flag
I'm kind of annoyed about how many people I have seen online referring to Beverley as that Asian chick, I even saw someone refer to Gillian Anderson as the X Files chick. What is wrong with these people? Women's names too difficult for them to remember?
Flag
In general, I think you're right, but until that last few episodes Beverly's name wasn't used very often. Nor was Dr. Du Maurier's. We get Will's, Hannibal's, Jack's, and even Alana's (as well as Bella's and Freddie's actually) repeated often, but I doubt the same commenters who use "Asian chick" and "X-Files chick" would know Jimmy and Brian's names either.
Flag
OMG poor Beverly well at least he didn't do that to her alive (Hannibal would do that to someone alive) but i'm so happy that Freddie is back
Flag
I'm so sad for Bev :(

I was pretty much sure she wasn't gonna survive but still.
Flag
And I was certain Hannibal was going to die! That was a close call!
Flag
what would they call the show if hannibal died? "Graham, Crawford & Chilton" sounds like a bunch of ambulance chasers.
Flag
I was joking. Of course he wouldn't have died. If anything, we had the "six weeks later" flashback between Hannibal and Crawford, and Hannibal was very much alive then.
Flag
if hannibal dies, they should dub the show flesh. and each week will be a showcase of how flesh can be treated by those with a psychotic, sociopathic inclination. of course, i will not be watching that show because i prefer to see flesh objectified in an erotic way and not sliced to ribbons. what can i say, i admit to being a homicidephobe.
Flag
My only disappointment was the return of Eddie Izzard/Abel Gideon. I really thought Will had killed him when he shot him and as such the moment carried such weight. This backtrack just doesn't sit well with me and makes that moment feel oddly anti-climatic. I can't explain why, it just does.
Plus, I think Eddie Izzard is kind of a poor actor, especially when compared to the rest of the cast. He was the weakest link in the first season, offering nothing more than a very pale imitation of Anthony Hopkins' version of Hannibal.
Flag
Oh, I disagree...with almost everything. I do think that having Gideon survive undoes some of the potential moral damage to Will from last season, which the same episode raises with his attempt to have Hannibal murdered and his blossoming antlers out of his own back, and that the show could have done a lot with that, but I enjoyed his return so much.

Your description of Izzard's Gideon last season as "a very pale imitation of Anthony Hopkins' version of Hannibal" is, I think, bang on, but I think that was a deliberate decision. Gideon was a sociopathic man in the throes of an identity crisis, unable to see even himself clearly, and in his attempts to be what he thought he was, he only manages a weak imitation, like (as Noel describes it) Will's admirer's attempted crucifixion of Hannibal. It's loud and clumsy and ultimately shows exactly what they're NOT as much as what they are. The shift in Izzard's acting style, which to me was hugely compelling in "Mukozuke," is evidence of the deliberateness of last season's depiction. We are, in a sense, for the first time meeting Abel Gideon as himself.

Also, whatever it does to how we understand Will, I loved what the writers did with Gideon. His conversation with Alana Bloom was mildly devastating.
More +
Flag
Staff
The pale imitation is on purpose. Fuller mentioned that in an interview or a commentary track that they wanted a SoL-esque Hannibal in their Gideon as a reference point.

Also sort of calls back to ideas of providing a negative so we can better see a positive.
Flag
mental note:***what are you doing? nothing. just watching. that's what i mean, why are you not saying anything? i dunno. analysis is often a speechless, thinking process. right now i am just admiring. in the words of ash from alien: i am still collating.***
Flag
Hannibal hasn't let me down yet~another excellent episode & review.

My first guesses of the orderly being the killer of the bailiff, hannibal being the judge killer, abel gideon being alive and beverly's death being the motivation for Will to send his follower after Hannibal seemed to be right:-)

What totally surprises me and I would never of guessed was Alana hooking up with Hannibal. I was really liking Alana after she had the dogs chipped but now I can't stand her (and I haven't even seen how her hook up with Hannibal happens). I'm also surprised that the orderly wasn't overpowered by Hannibal or even outsmarted or manipulated by Hannibal.

I guess I want to say "I called it" but at the same time so much happened that I didn't call. LOL~ I like to be right and I like to be surprised~no wonder I love this show.

Awesome display of Beverly's body. It seemed so clean and clinical like Beverly was however there was some messy leaking blood/water. Was that symbolic of her messy way of looking into Hannibal (she spilled a lot of info when talking to Hannibal…)?
Flag
Do we know Alana sleeps with Hannibal? This show loves it some hallucinations, nightmares and lucid dreams, it's just as likely (based on a brief, 'next week on' flash) that someone imagined/dreamed that image.
Flag
I hate Alana too - especially now that she's going to sleep with Hannibal! Actually, I'm disappointed as I think her character had real potential but is now the weakest on the show. Seems she's only there as a plot device....
Flag
"I like to be right and I like to be surprised~no wonder I love this show."

Exactly. No show does this better than Hannibal.
Flag
my faith was restored in an odd sort of way when the orderly overpowered hannibal. even the setup was perfect. hannibal was vulnerable and alone--almost naked. will's lovelorn admirer even made himself known to hannibal. he did not hide in the shadows like a coward in the fashion that hannibal committed with poor beverly.

will's lovelorn admirer was cunning and go for broke. he did not have enough sense to be afraid of hannibal and it gave him leeway to beat hannibal at his own game. then again, the real world truth in the game of thuggery--and let's face it, hannibal is a thug. he's more sophisticated than the average thug. he's better dressed than the average thug. his education exceeds the average thug by light years--and yet, a thug is craven and cowardly and a thug's strength is catching innocent people offguard so that they can be preyed upon. that is what hannibal does and in the realm of thuggery, there will always come along another thug who is more brutal and more cunning. all it takes is time, a matter of time.

as for alana, from this moment forward i will refer to her as nameless. yes, when i saw hannibal nearly naked something unexpected stirred in my loins, but nameless is supposed to be keeping herself pure for will and sleeping with hannibal is the ultimate betrayal. because i am so used to anthony hopkins incarnaion of hannibal, i never thought of the character as innately sexual, but i am sure that his acumen of the kama sutra probably rivals his gastronomic skills. i love will, maybe not as much as his lovelorn admirer, but i do love will. still, once a girl has been on the carnival ride that dr. hannibal will present, it's hard to send her back on the farm for plain ole morose, depressed missionary sex with will graham.
More +
Flag
this is soo dark, I love it!!!
Flag
One can always tell when a review is written by Noel. And I mean that completely in a good way.
Flag
Staff
Thank goodness it's in a good way and not, "Oh, please, shut up and give us photo recaps" way. :) (Nothing against photo recaps, of course. I just know I'm probably not for everyone.)
Flag
noel, that's the thing about good taste--it's acquired over a span of learning to discern the rare from the mundane. your exegesis of hannibal bears not a scintilla to the banal or mundane.***mental note: i have got to find a bailiff to booby trap.***
Flag
Did anyone draw a connection to asian character and her being sliced like sashimi? This may be a wee bit racist.
Flag
It would fit in with the Japanese episode titles this season.
Flag
No no, just you. And by the way, the name of the asian character is Beverly Katz. What does it say about you ?
Flag
Whats the difference between being ''sliced like sashimi'' and being sliced like a tomato? None as far as I can see. I don't see what Bev's heritage has to do with any of it.
Flag
tomatoes do not possess an ethnicity to be degraded or denigrated. hannibal would certainly appreciate the difference. of course, it would be soooooo beneath hannibal to make a racist tableau. he is a cannibal with no appreciation for human decency. he is a murderer many times over with no conscious. he is a horrible friend and a bad psychiatrist, but hey--hannibal draws the line at racist tableaus.

although truth be told since we have arrived at a post-racial haze i am amazed that anyone noticed beverly's heritage. i certainly did not. i thought she was translucent with no discernible ethnicity. hell i am even gender-blind. i did not even notice beverly was a woman. did she have breastuses? because if she did, i did not notice them. i thought someone had just stuffed a couple of random tomatoes under her blouse.
Flag
WTF
Flag
truth be told, a couple of weeks ago one of the commentators predicted that would happen to beverly and when i read it, my visceral reaction was a whiff of a racist pun. however, i am not going to pursue it because to let some commenters tell it: hannibal and his fellow serial killers regard murder as a color-blind sport which i find utterly absurd. if it gives some people a warm, fuzzy all is right with the world feeling to regard serial killers as some form of color-blind humanitarians, i am not even going to attempt to scale the logic of mt. everest to debunk those phallacies***and yes, i know i misspelled phallacies. i was on a roll.***
Flag
Dear God, please, not this again
Flag
You skipped Manhunter? That's the best one out there!
Flag
Staff
I've seen it before (like, 15 years ago) , but I just never got around to watching it again when I went through all the other related media in December and January.
Flag
You would have done better to skip Red Dragon and watch Manhunter, it is an infinitely better adaptation. Also, if you can tolerate Hannibal (the movie) then Hannibal Rising would be easy too. They are as bad as each other.
Flag
Staff
Hannibal, the film is such a weird weird weird weird thing. The sections in Italy are pure serial killer camp and so have some life to them. But everything before that is just utterly lifeless. Everything after Hannibal returns to the States is a weird mix of the two, like an uncanny valley version of a cop/serial killer movie.
Flag
Also it was such a waste of Gary Oldman. Killed by carnivorous pigs. Really?!
Flag
the only part of hannibal i ever had the stomach to watch was the ending where hannibal seduces the little boy into trying his first taste of the exotic. it made me think that hannibal would like to have an acolyte in the vain of that sweet boy, the tooth fairy. however, hannibal is a solo sociopath so i don't think he could really appreciate a batman and robin serial killer setup. he does not appear adaptable to the leopold and loeb kind of pas des deux.
Flag
An interesting idea on why the writers chose to have Hannibal display Beverly that way, Noel. It does make sense, but I personally still found the tableau over-the-top, I mean, it's hard to know why the writers decided to do this without specifically asking them why, but I think they could have handled it differently myself.
Flag
noel, when i read your insightful dissections i feel like jonathan tucker. all i need now is a bailiff to booby trap.

i guess i was too traumatized by hannibal's gruesome mishandling of beverly's personhood to notice any respect in his methodic albeit maniacal madness. truth be told, the unexpected tableau that shocked me back to some semblance of composure was the beefcake shots of hannibal and will's toned admirer in bathing attire.

i give the episode much props, but it was almost a little too fortuitous that will and lovelorn admirer just happen to be conversing within earshot of gideon who just happened to be thirsting for a little redemption.
Flag
Is there ever an episode of this show that isn't awesome? "Will's not a murderer. Well he is now - by proxy" (take a bow). Will won't just let his guilt at Beverley's murder stay guilt - HELL NO - he goes for all out revenge in the form of murder all while being locked up Silence of the Lambs style. And that's just one part of yet another great ep. Not only is this the best show on tv - it's got the best sound on tv - I mean wow hook up the surround sound and subwoofer and Hannibal really does go to 11. 9/10 can't wait to see where it goes from here - Will is slowly tightening the noose around Hannibal - you know like - yeah you know. Good stuff indeed.
Flag
SO GOOD!
The music, the antlers coming out of will, the sink filling with blood.
WOW!
Flag
Is Will Graham turning into Joe Carroll?
He got his first "follower" this week!
Flag
Hannibal's charisma and sense of style would have to go downhill pretty dramatically for him to turn into Joe Carroll.
I think Hannibal would be quite offended by the suggestion.
Flag
And the same, of course, goes for Will Graham.
I might need new glasses. :-)
Flag
He'll likely be inviting us over for dinner so we can further discuss this matter more intimately.
Flag
Will Graham can turn into Joe Carrol as long as Hannibal doesn't turn into The Following.
Flag
Clearly, we've all been underestimating how easy they are to recruit!
Flag
After the intensity of last week this was a little bit of a let down and it was sort of an especially typical wronged cop story where he crossed a line and his team saves him in time. I guess I appreciate the idea that the show needs to remind us that Will isn't an angel and has the end of his rope too. I appreciated he was just so out of patience with everyone. I am excited about next week where Jack steals hor d'oeuvres and gets them tested. Even if that proves normal it brings him closer.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members