A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Put down the knife and back away from the NBC executive! The network has renewed the critically acclaimed drama Hannibal for Season 3, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Not only is the drama one of the best-looking shows on TV, it's also the first to be born from the brilliant mind of Bryan Fuller that's lasted more than two seasons. (Fuller's previous series Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies each made it to two seasons before getting the axe, but Wonderfalls didn't even get to finish its first season before Fox cut it short.) Who knew that the secret to success was beautiful but disgusting murders crafted around complex characters? 

Additionally, the network has renewed the much-less-dark Jason Katims comedy About A Boy for Season 2. 

While it's party time for Fuller, Katims, and fans of those two shows, it's nail-biting time for NBC series still left on the bubble. Basically, every bubble renewal that comes in lessens the chances that other bubble shows will get another season. I'm looking at you, Revolution and Community. UPDATE: Both Revolution and Community, plus three other shows, have been felled by NBC's axe.

Stick around, folks, because we expect more renewals (and probably some cancellations) to be announced shortly!

Are you excited for more Hannibal and About A Boy?

Check the Status of Your Favorite Shows:
What's Renewed, What's Canceled, and What's Still In Between?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

92 Comments
Comments (92)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This is my design!
Flag
Good move NBC
I can slightly hate you less
Flag
I am glad Hannibal is continuing.
I was a bit skeptical about it before watching it but it is really good.
Flag
So glad for Bryan Fuller, every show he's made is great TV and finally one of them gets to have a 3rd season. I would never have guessed it would be a show so graphic and dark as Hannibal, and on NBC on all networks, but I'll take it.
Now if NBC keeps it for the 4 more planned seasons it will almost make it up for Community.
Flag
Wth! I have to buy a new TV. I've thrown it out since there's no real reason to watch.
Flag
Yes!!!! I'm so happy Hannibal has been renewed for season 3. This is the news I've been waiting for!
Flag
Yay! Yay! Wooohoooo! I am so glad to see that quality television can survive on the networks. In these days where I am afraid to commit to a drama on network TV due to being left in the cold from a cancellation, I have stuck with Hannibal. As a lover of the books and movies based on Thomas Harris' books, this has been a dark and intelligent pleasure I have partaken of!
Flag
Huge audiences don't generally like "good television." I'm grateful for whatever conspirations got Hannibal a renewal. I'm also a big fan of Brian Fuller. I suppose the simplest reason is "his dialog doesn't suck".

I still think Mockingbird Lane deserves to be shown as an annual Halloween special. It's better than the Grinch for Christmas. Make it happen, NBC.
Flag
And here I had pretty much come to accept Hannibal would be cancelled... Happy days!
Flag
Everybody loves Hannibal!!!
Flag
He have that at least. But I'm still pissed off about Community.
Flag
Thank goodness we get to have another season of Hannibal, the show is excellent. I feel bad for the people that watched Community, you were so close to that sixth season.
Flag
I'm relieved about Hannibal. Once they drop a show into the Friday tar pits, all I can do is shake my head and set up my DVR.

I didn't know Fuller had done Wonderwalls. It might explain What's-Her-Face being on the show. She was okay there, but here, she has the charm of seaweed.
Flag
Cancel Community and Keep about a boy? Wtf....
Flag
This is amazing news. How happy am I about this? A trillion times over as Hannibal is a superb show.
Flag
Hannibal's ratings are crap, not unlike Parenthood, but I guess they believe in the show enough to sacrifice what it costs to produce. I stopped watching after two or three episodes.

About A Boy is OK, but that kid's wool hat has now got on my nerves. I've just read Growing Up Fisher was canceled, which is too bad, as I think it is better than About A Boy despite being a bit contrived and perhaps a little too sweet, but it's far more likeable and good to have a show where virtually no one is snarky, mean, condescending, etc.
Flag
Regarding only watching the first 2-3 episodes, if you're talking about Hannibal, I get it. I did the same and it just didn't appeal to me in any way. I wasn't into the story nor the gore and the fact that the critics were praising it because of the "murder art" only made me hate it more.

Then a few people here (including @Noel who reviews the show) told me to give it a second chance. I followed Noel's episode guide in this article The Great Midseason TV Cram: 9 Shows to Catch Up On for 2014. So, I skipped a few episodes on my first watch but have re-watched all of them since.

All I can say is: WOW. WAS I WRONG! And thank you everyone who convinced me to give the show a real chance.

This show is smart, it's got some of the most complex and compelling characters, it's psychological mind-fuckery at its best and it is absolutely beautiful. There's nothing else like it on TV but more importantly, it's got a lot of heart too. It'll make you feel things. I get why critics praise the so-called "murder art" but the real beauty is in the characters and the story.

So, as I was once advised, I am now passing that advice to you.
Give Hannibal a real chance. You can look at Noel's episode order (in the midseason-cram article above) for the fastest way to get through the first season. I think it's only 9 episodes, which is really not much to absorb and to be able to make an informed opinion on the show. :-)
More +
Flag
Thanks. Maybe someday I'll give it another shot, but I did feel as you did at first and I doubt that will change for me.
Flag
I doubted it too. But yeah, definitely have it your "shows that I should (maybe) watch eventually and/or before I die" list. Right next to Lost and Fringe . :-)
Flag
YAY! I guess NBC renewed Hannibal more for the prestige it gets the network than because of the ratings themselves.
Flag
Yessss!!! Great news About a Show!
Flag
Hannibal is maybe the only series NBC have to claim not to be labelled The history Channel.
Flag
YES !YES !YES!, Hannibal thoroughly deserves this as its one of the best networks shows currently.
Flag
It's not surprising that Community got cancelled.NBC have their 100+ episodes for selling the syndication package rights and don't need to spend more money on the series but now sit back as the money rolls in.Seen this pattern too many times in the past.
Flag
I mentioned elsewhere that Community has been airing in syndication since klate 2012, so for it to have lasted this long is quite a remarkable feat.
Flag
Im hosting a dinner party! To celebrate Hannibals renewal!! Happy news!!
Flag
Awesome news about Hannibal. All hail Bryan Fuller.
Flag
Revolution . knew it was getting canned. its it own fult and nothing else
Flag
ABOUT HANNIBAL: YES YES THIS FILLS ME WITH JOY AND BRYAN-FULLER-FINALLY-GETTING-THREE-SEASONS GRATIFICATION
ABOUT COMMUNITY: NO NONONO THIS IS A NIGHTMARE
Flag
I'm finding it hard to be fully happy about Hannibal because of Community's cancellation.
Flag
As for Community, I'm a bit mixed about this news. On one hand, it's sad that it's cancelled because I still loved the show, and while the latter half of the season wasn't quite as consistent as the first half, I still enjoyed it overall.

On the other hand, we were lucky to get this season, with Dan Harmon back to make the show good again. We could have said goodbye to the show after the disaster that was season 4, but we were given this gift instead. I know I should probably be upset with NBC for cancelling my favorite comedy, especially since the replacement comedies probably won't be as good, but I'm just grateful we got this season the way it was.

Plus, at least we still have Rick and Morty for our Dan Harmon fix.
Flag
'Dracula' did as good as, and at times better, ratings wise as 'Hannibal' and they need another show to fill a full season at 10pm Fridays - does it have a chance?
Flag
Fuck this shit, I'm off to the pub!
You may as well have just told me my dog has died (I don't have a dog, but still).
Dark days my friends, these are dark days.
It's just hit me... no more Britta! What the fuck! TV is a poorer place now.
Flag
WHAT THE FUCK?!? Community got slaughtered but "About a Boy" gets a pickup? NBC is firmly up its own ass, they can go to hell. Enjoy shit ratings and no buzz.
Flag
It had 5 seasons. That's the amount I agree with where a show should end. Though, I did want the 6 seasons and a movie to happen...but w/e. It survived as long as it could.

I like About a Boy. It's a nice heart warming show.
Flag
Staff
Boy's ratings are about double/triple Community's, though admittedly Boy has The Voice as a lead-in, is produced by Universal Television with Jason Katmis, who they have a good relationship with.
Flag
Community makes the same ratings as every other show they put in that timeslot, Parks & Rec and Hollywood Game Night do worse even. The problem isn't the show, it's the network. I guarantee you that "About a Boy" will be forgotten and discarded by this time next season, and NBC will be scrambling as usual.
Flag
Normally, I've no problem picking on the networks, but NBC gave Community a very fair shake. It liked and supported the show, gave it opportunity to court and win the avid fans it has, and renewed it long enough to hit its creative peak...which wasn't recently, though it's still often quite clever and routinely hilarious.

As for About a Boy, I don't watch it, but I understand it's a solid, mostly harmless feel-good sitcom that doesn't rock the boat much, and those are the kinds of shows that draw wide audiences, garner bigger ratings, and bolster the networks financially. It's just familiar, and audiences like comfortable. Whatever.

Unlike ABC and FOX, I've been quite content with most of NBC's renewal/cancellation decisions the last few seasons, though I've been far less impressed with some of their new series green lights. CBS doesn't have much room in their stable, boring schedule for much decision-making.
Flag
NOOOOOOOOOOO Community!!!!! Oh the tears, they flow. Happy for Hannibal but...
Flag
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Communityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Flag

Yeah for Hannibal. But damn NBC -- You're a killer w**** -- Community and Revolution Forever !

Flag
Even if I'm really upset about Community, (I still have faith in Netflix/Sony to order more episodes because #sixseasonsandamovie) I find the Hannibal insanely surprising. I did not even expect it to get to finish its second season. It's great when shows that are as mapped out as Hannibal is gets to keep trucking towards their finishing lines.

So far this upfronts: Three shows I like down. (Community, Suburgatory, and Trophy Wife)
Flag
Time to get a nice bottle of Chianti and some fava beans and invite some friends over for dinner and celebrate with style!
Flag
NBC - You are the WORST! #CommunityForever
Flag
Hannibal. Yeah! This news made my day. -:)
Flag
Community got cancelled and it has really upset me!
Flag
Fuller is a visionary. I'm astonded that someone at NBC has noticed this. Most delicious news ever!
Flag
Uh oh... Community cancelled... The internet may break down with fan reactions....

Revolution also a goner and over at ABC Suburgatory too
Flag
Community also cancelled! Sorry for being the bringer of bad news today lol
Flag
yay! I'm deliriously happy!
Thanks @LOST-TWD-PP-GOT for the early scoop on this;-)
Flag
Yay, About a Boy! Suck it, all you people who told me it was basically 100% cancelled. I wasn't expecting a renewal either, but I did think there was a decent chance for one. Cool.
Flag
It's doing better than all NBC's comedies but also has The Voice as a lead in. It held up pretty well, though. It's a nice show. I like it.
Flag
Community = cancelled. :(
Flag
yes!!! about a boy is the cutest ever!
Flag
People are also reporting Revolution has been cancelled. That's amazing. it didn't even deserve to have a second season. Good riddance to one of the worst shows that tried to be LOST and failed miserably.

Flag
YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!! Thank you NBC for renewing one of the best shows on TV, and the best crime/horror drama on TV (suck it True Detective)

First SHIELD, now Hannibal, only Community left and that will be me happy.
Flag
Now it is a problem! NBC has finally and completely jumped the shark and boned the fish at the same time, since they screwed up cancelling both Community and Growing Up Fisher too close in the wrong time!
Flag
There is no problem about renewing Community.
Flag
Staff
Oh god, this is awkward now.
Flag
Staff
Eeeeehhhhhhhhhh.
Flag
Give us the 'hat trick' for great TV in the fall.
Flag
Fuller finally broke his curse!!! =D
Flag
I'm really happy about this. But kindof sad about Revolution being cancelled. But then happy again about Constantine, being order to series.
Flag
"Who knew that the secret to success was beautiful but disgusting murders crafted around complex characters?" That's what Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies were too. Bryan Fuller's got a type, you might have noticed. (having never seen Wonderfalls I can't comment on whether or not that show was also about beautiful but disgusting murders crafted around complex characters)
Flag
Staff
I wouldn't call the Pushing Daisies deaths disgusting, though. Crazy weird, sometimes funny, but not disgusting.
Flag
Yeah I suppose, even when they're violent deaths you don't really see a whole hell of alot of gore.
Flag
Yup, if corpses aren't piling up, it ain't no Fuller show! (Again, I haven't seen Wonderfalls yet, too, but can hardly believe there won't be death involved in some way)
Flag
Staff
Death isn't really involved in Wonderfalls actually. It's more about life. (That sounds so stupid, but if you watch it—and you should because it's great—it will eventually make sense.)
Flag
YEAH! !!!!!!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members