A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E12: "Tome-wan"

I don't know what you expect me to write after watching a man feed his own face to some dogs before cutting off his own nose, eating it, and then declaring, "I have the taste and consistency similar to that of a chicken gizzard! ... I'm full of myself!" 

Being in-the-know about Mason's fate, I've been waiting for his "self"-disfigurement to occur all season. I knew it was coming, but I honestly figured that, since Mason doesn't have dogs, he'd end up feeding his face to his own pigs. I forgot about Will's strays. And I know I should be repulsed by Mason slicing up his face, but mostly I'm just horrified that Hannibal is so bent on alienating Will from those around him that he's even willing to taint poor, innocent pups. At least Winston knew better.

"Tome-wan" might be one of the more straightforward episodes of Hannibal we've seen in a while, but that's because the show and Will no longer have time to beat around the bush. All that's left of Season 2 is the finale, and Will has Jack breathing down his neck, frustrated by the lack of progress and understandably worried about his own ability to protect (and control) Will after the Randall Tier fiasco. In fact, Jack was so worried about Will's progress that he hunted down Bedelia Du Maurier and brought her back from whatever deep hole she'd hidden herself away in after leaving the scene at the start of the season.

But I don't mind a little directness. As much as of the second half of Season 2 has been played up the show's ambiguity—both in compelling ways, as we see Will struggle to keep a grip on himself and his impulses while courting Hannibal, and not-so-compelling ways, as in the case of Freddie's faked death and the question of whether we were supposed to buy that Will had killed her and was dining on her with Hannibal—it was a welcome relief to clearly see how Will and Jack's plan was supposed to work. Will's interactions with Hannibal were decidedly more pointed this week, with Will challenging Hannibal to "posit a theory of [Will's] mind," demurring to Hannibal's dominance in the relationship by encouraging him to kill Mason (so that he could arrest the good doctor), and calling Hannibal out on his tactics of "fostering co-dependency."

The slick thing about the game that Hannibal and Will are playing is that sharing information, like the killing and dining, feeds into their partnership. Telling secrets and discussing fantasies and philosophies helps to enhance intimacy. It's how we gradually come to be close to people; it's also how Will intends to catch Hannibal, and how Hannibal intends to make Will his cannibal companion. This penultimate episode even played up this idea of Hannibal and Will overlapping with one another visually, as each of their faces was partially obscured by the out-of-focus back of the other's head during the shot-reverse-shot exchange about co-dependency. They can't get out of one another's heads.

Du Maurier's oh-so-reluctant return—I don't think I've ever seen Gillian Anderson look quite so sad and worried—served as a warning of Hannibal's influence, a quiet and knowing counterpoint to Randall Tier's savagery and the potential slippage of Will Graham. While she provided the way that they'll end up catching Hannibal—"Whimsy."—Du Maurier's past with the patient of hers that she murdered under Hannibal's influence highlighted the way that Hannibal takes care not to commit crimes with witnesses, so that the only actual witness is the person who committed the crime. Hannibal's invisible influence protects him from incrimination like his transparent plastic body suit prevents him from leaving behind physical evidence.

"Tome-wan" was noticeably direct, but there was also an absurd and equally welcome amount of humor. It may be the show's funniest episode to date, which is such a bizarre thing to say about an episode where Michael Pitt acted out skinning himself and feeding "the proceeds" to dogs, but even that ended up being very funny. The fun started early with Hannibal and Will's discussion of Mason as "free-range rude" and continued throughout the episode: We saw more of Mason being a complete and hilarious jerk during therapy as he pushed Hannibal's buttons by rifling through his sketches, putting his feet up on his desk, and even stabbing one of the arms of Hannibal's chairs not once but twice. It was a nice continuation of Mason's behavior during his first session, which featured the bit with the couch and the wadded-up jacket. 

Mads Mikkelsen played all that with barely contained annoyance, and it was great. That's why every comedy needs a straight man, and there's no better straight man than a cannibalistic shrink who could kill you where you stand but just won't. Even Hannibal himself squeezed in a one-liner as poor Matteo tore the scaple out of his leg: "He shouldn't have done that." The line delivery was so winking and dry, and then Carlo tased him and that was the end of the scene, like a shocking rimshot.

Most of the humor stemmed from Pitt's performance after Hannibal drugged Mason ("You need to write me a prescription for this, doctor"). Pitt's been hamming it up ("Mason deserves to be somebody's bacon") since the moment he appeared, but his performance and energy have never broken the show for me. That's in part because Season 2 has been funnier than Season 1, so I feel like the show's been gradually building to Mason's particular brand of psychotic in a way that it allows it work. The rest of it has to do with how the show and Pitt have constructed Mason: The ridiculous coat and hair. The riff on Gary Oldman's voice for Mason in Hannibal. Pitt's general conveyance of "I'm rich and crazy and have man-eating pigs, so come at me, bro!" arrogance, old money run amok. 

Mason feeding his face to dogs was gross and violent, but it wasn't awe-inspiring or beautiful, like the murder tableaux the show normally uses. Since it lacked that artistic merit, there were no other emotions or reactions to feel except horror and repulsion—and Hannibal has always wanted to make violence both comfortable and uncomfortable through an artistic distance. So Mason cackling like a loon while cracking food and dining jokes and Hannibal's casual suggestion that Mason eat his own nose granted us that distance from such a disturbing act while still allowing us to feel disturbed. The humor offers a release valve, a sense of relief, even as we're watching through our fingers.

À LA CARTE

– Will just put Jack on the hook. I guess this helps to partially explain the fight scene that kicked off the season.

– "No fat on you! Take more than a flesh wound to make you squeal!"

– "Whoever is pursing whom at this very moment, I intend to eat them." OH HO HO HO.

– All the classical music came right in a row this week. As Hannibal prepared and served his kholodets, we heard the second movement of Mozart's violin concerto No. 5 in A major. That was followed by Chopin's Prelude Op. 28, No. 2 in A minor (a personal favorite of mine) as the dogs were fed their PROPER FOOD. Right after that, as Carlo and his brothers entered Hannibal's office, it was yet more from Fauré's Requiem. This time it was "Pie Jesu."

How did "Tome-wan" taste?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

143 Comments
Comments (143)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"I'm rich and crazy and have man-eating pigs, so come at me, bro!"

LMAO
Flag
oh my god *hands on mouth*
we can watch this on TV, let alone a network ?
woo hoo !
imagine when this episode aired in my country, the censors board will have a field day on this
Flag
omg, omg..this show is full on, i can't even watch alot of it!
Flag
dog eating face steaks is just not right, scared for life!! Viewer discretion advised alright, ha.
Flag
I`m still not ok with Crawford being such a meek & willing cannibal himself :(
Flag
I think he's been gradually broken. Plus he may not share the same kind of power dynamic with hannibal that he has at the FBI. so in one place he can be forthright and shouty but in others he would be submissive. and in response to tarniamoore, first thing in this episode they were eating fish so its kinda difficult to be a cannibal. secondly he has taken food from Hannibal's table and had it checked with forensics. It didn't work evidently.
Flag
The Jell-O is people!

Seriously, Hannibal boiled at least a lower jaw to make the gelatin in the prep scene. He even informed Jack that "traditionally" the stuff was made from bone as he was serving it.
Flag
ye your right, it was made from bones. the gellatine is the fatty deposit from the marrow. In all honesty I don't understand Crawford. Its possible that he is actually quite lonely. He had his wife and Will but they are no longer viable. so maybe he is left with only one person who he can spend time with and relax. it just so happens that its Hannibal. Another great piece of writing. Making the leader of the search friends with the man he hunts. God i love this show.
Flag
I would suggest keep checking and maybe become vegetarian asap!! Still don't get it, its like Crawford has a man crush on Hannibal, he challenges his thinking and he likes the finer things. He's sucked in by Hannibal's narcissism and image..
Flag
heheh, being a vegetarian around hannibal is probably quite dangerous too. he'd just see you as corn fed, free range rude instead of normal free range rude.
Flag
yes, what's that about. He enjoys the meals, how about sneaking some of that to the labs!!
Flag
I am not gonna lie, when Hannibal handed Mason the knife I was too afraid to watch and had to skip the grisly bits!
Flag
I don't think Will's as on top of Hannibal as he wants to believe. I don't think Hannibal bought that he killed Freddie, it's not like he cannot tell it wasn't human meat (unless it was from the beast killer but he wasn't scared when he died).
He must be pretty much aware of what's going on and he's just playing the game. Jack attacking him all alone with no backup seems like sheer frustration so Hannibal should be getting away with killing a main character, probably Alana.

Michael Pitt was really good as Mason, he's been kind of an underrated actor for quite some time. Really funny seeing him cutting his face off. Damn writing that feels weird.

The fighting scene between Hannibal and Mason's henchmen was fucking awesome and I don't think anybody has mentioned it! "He souldn't have done that." Cracked me up.
Hannibal has had another funny oneliner when that guy who was sewn inside a horse was comming out and he just turned to him and said "If you know what's good for you you will crawl back inside." Or something like that.
Flag
Actually, Bryan Fuller confirmed they ate Randall. o_O
Flag
Holy shit my phone didn't give a fuck about the paragraphs I made.
Flag

Flag
awesome, even if they cut some of the arterial blood spray!
Mason cutting off his face and eating it---no problem. A little arterial blood spray and NBC gets their panties in a twist! lol
Seriously, I'm impressed with NBC allowing so much to be shown on this show!!
Fabulous GIF!
Flag
It's like he sprayed him on purpose. Lol
Flag
That scene were Mason ripped his own face off and fed it to the dogs was one of the most disgusting things i have ever seen.
Keep going :)
Flag
Everytime that Gillian Anderson plays Bedelia Du Maurier is a master class in acting. Couldn't deliver her lines any better. Not possible.
Flag
Easily the most gruesome show on TV at the moment, and I understand the sometimes exaggerated events. But if you think for a second, Mason wouldn't be able to pronounce even a single word with his lips removed. So, a little too much, I think.
And Gillian Anderson doesn't age, wow!!!
Flag
Good Thinking! He just has to use words without the B,F,M,P,V and Z in them. Good Luck Mason
Flag
The scene with Mason peeling his skin and feeding it to the dogs was insane! It was brutal and fun to watch. I like that Will made Hannibal put him out of his misery though, only I don't understand why he didn't die. Didn't Hannibal break his neck? Mason even said it. Isn't that supposed to kill you? Anyway, I can't understand why the hell Mason didn't tell Jack that it was Hannibal who was behind it. Why did he keep silent? Just because he wants revenge on him later on? How is he supposed to manage that now?

Margot being the one to take care of him now seemed delightfully ironic. Although I think Margot is a really stupid human being. She could have run away, moved out and gotten away from Mason sooner, or even killed him and put an end to it, but she couldn't lose the estate, money, lifestyle and preferred to get abused for it. She even thought she'd get away with getting pregnant, LOL! What a stupid woman. And if she ends up torturing him, she'll be just as bad.

I like that Will didn't kill the reporter, and that we now know for sure that him and Jack are trying to catch Hannibal. Just a shame he had to mutilate Randall's body. That was a bit much.

I also don't understand why the hell Will encouraged Hannibal to kill Jack. Why would he do that? That's what's leading up to the fight in the first episode. I hope Jack won't die, but it seems likely. I would rather have Alana die, she's a stupid and useless character by now and has been all season.
More+
Flag
I like that Will made Hannibal put him out of his misery though, only I don't understand why he didn't die. Didn't Hannibal break his neck? Mason even said it. Isn't that supposed to kill you?

No. People break their necks everyday. Sports and car wrecks, mainly. Some get to walk away, some get to roll away, some get to blow away, and some die instantly. It depends on where the break occurs and whether it is a complete or not. I'll not bore or horrify you with more detail, lol.

Hannibal clearly counts down the cervical vertebrae just prior to breaking Mason's neck. He essentially just left Mason with the ability to breath independently.
Flag
And why did Will cut Hannibal loose when he was about to get fed to the pigs? I thought it's what he wanted.
Flag
Will wants Hannibal caught and outed as the Chesapeake Ripper. He wants him held accountable for his crimes and he wants to be vindicated in the light of day. Will's essentially lost his rep, his teaching job, and his fantasy girl.

He wanted Mason to pay for his crimes against Margo and their child. He also needed proof that Hannibal was a murderer. The situation was a twofer, only Will got knocked the fuck out. He missed everything and he doesn't have a cooperative witness in Mason because Mason wants to stay alive, possibly in the vain hope of regaining the ability to move below the collar bone some day and seek revenge against Lecter.
Flag
Good riddance to the Vergers!

Mason reminded me of Moriarty in Sherlock. Not good. Two characters that don't match the tone of the established ensemble, whirling in like amped up cartoon caricatures. Blergh. May Mason's doomed cyborg revenge plot be long off.

Ventriloquist Dummy!Mason was terrifying to me. Being a paraplegic is not an existence I could endure. I'm pretty sunny under most circumstances, but there's a limit!

Hannibal not killing Mason was a "kindness" to Margo. She gets to live in the lap of luxury all the while still continuing to still be attached to her former tormentor. She thinks she's won, but she's still trapped. Will said, "Live yo life girl, rebuke his ass. Run for the hills!" And Hannibal ensured she would always live in that vortex of darkness, exacting revenge and reliving her abuse.

I can't say I'm glad for Margo's small victory. Her brother is vile, but she doesn't seem to be any better. I didn't get a, "I was abused, so I let abuse happen to others, because I was scared" vibe from her. I got more of a, "I really don't want to lose my clothing allowance, so I'm not going to do anything to protect the underprivileged children my brother likes to psychologically scar for funsies." Would the money have kept flowing if Mason was alive, but in jail?

Good riddance to the Vergers!

Will has got bupkiss on Hannibal. What he has is a shed full of incriminating evidence, cannibal dogs, a house rife with genetic material from two bloody crime scenes, and a completely useless, vague analysis provided by Du Maurier. While Hannibal is letting Jack in on his little secret, Will should be killing his dogs (except for Winston) and burning down his residence, just before jumping on a plane to somewherethefuckelse. Hannibal pretty much drew him a picture with arrows and speech bubbles stating he was planning to kill him, and then confessed he would be really, really, sad about it afterwards. Come on, Will.

Shallow notes:

I'm usually 100% about Mads. He is my type of man. However, though Dancy isn't my cup of tea, I must give credit to his fantastic booty. It's great. It deserves an Emmy. I missed dialogue because I was mesmerized, bootymized. True story.
More+
Flag
Oh and what did people think of the talk about Achilles and Patroclus? Is that in the books at all? What did it mean that the show included such a strong reference to this classical greek tale of friendship between two men that has been often interpreted as homosexual (although this is debated by some)? I have always believed there is no romantic/sexual element to the Hannibal-Will relationship but I do wonder why include it in the show so prominently?
Flag
Great review as usual! The episode was a tour de force esp. Pitt's acting as the demented (later demented and high) psycho as well as Will and Hannibal.
  • I found the gruesome scene with the dogs a bit much (in my opinion). Hannibal as a show does a fair amount of shocking but it doesn't feel gratuitous and purely for shock value but to me, this scene did. It was too long and having Will and Hannibal talks strategy while Mason is feeding the dogs felt not funny but farcical and cheap
  • On the positive side, I do think Dr. Du Maurier was right in her warning that although Jack and Will think they are one step ahead of Hannibal, it is probably the other way round... On that basis I can't wait for the fall out of the season finale...
  • I couldn't help but feel happy that Margot was vindicated and now she gets to look after Mason... it is a bit of a Pyrrhic victory but hey, Hannibal is not in the business of fairy tale happy endings right?
Flag
when he cut his nose off and ate it... ahhh, butterflies in my belly. fantastic episode...
Flag
Another great episode and another great performance by Mikkelsen. His Hannibal is so enchanting that I cannot help rooting for him. Mason is crazy as hell, but yeah, he is rude! So during those scenes I was worried about the dogs, not Mason.
How great it is to have dr. Du Maurier back. She was missed!
Flag
Always mine (and many other's) view of anything on the screeen. DO NOT touch those pups in any harmful way. I was worried about Buster the other week. And worried about them al when Winston was waiting for his dad on the porch.
Flag
1. Noel thanks for the review every week! It's what keeps this forum alive. I do have a question for you! In your own personal top ten of tv shows, whats the rank of hannibal? If you don't mind me asking.

2. For the fans there is an interview with show-runner Bryan Fuller on avclub.com after every episode of season 2.

3. After seeing the promo video of episode 13(season 2) i have the following hypothesis for what to come.

1) Hannibal killed Will and to honor him he let's Jack know that he is The Chesapeake Ripper. If you are gonna admit ,do it in style. Will asked for this revelation.

2) Could it be that hannibal is cutting Will's meat??

3) Alana turned up in the aftermath of H and Jack's fight

And in the promo you see someone flying out of the window. Someone in a black long coat. I guess it's Alana!.
Flag
I really doubt they would kill Will. He's too important to the story. He'll be around for awhile.

Jack? I don't know. I heard Lawrence has a new show coming up so...

I really wouldn't be surprised if they kill Alana. But I also think she interrupts Jack and Hannibal's fight.
Flag
I hope he survives too. To be honest i never liked the character of Clarice in the movies. Will Graham kicks ass
Flag
It would have to deviate completely (which it hasn't) from the source material if Will is killed. Read Red Dragon someday. It is essentially Will's origin story. They are mixing bits of both books "Hannibal" and "Red Dragon" in this series.
Flag
One slight correction - it has deviated, but not completely. They have created a whole new design for the way Will discovers Hannibal is who he is.
Flag
Staff
Hannibal was my top show from last year. Not sure where Season 2 would end up for this year -- too soon to tell yet!
Flag
You mean you can't tell if it's on top again or on top of on top?

Flag
That was the wackiest and funniest episode ever!!! Mason is on a whole other level!
Flag
I think we're all under Hannibal's "influence" if we can find humour and enjoy this kind of gruesome, unspeakable atrocities, lol. There are two things I really enjoy about this series: the dialogues (although it's sometimes hard to understand what Hannibal "Mads Mikkelsen" says) and the cinematography, beautifully done!

On another subject, is it just me or Dr. Du Maurier's testimony was sort of tepid, uncompromised?
Flag
Nope, not just you. Du Maurier's testimony was pretty much useless to use in any court proceedings... It confirmed Will & Jack's insights about how Hannibal operates so it wasn't totally useless on that front but not huge help either... But it was a good scene with subtle acting as usual in this show
Flag
Yes! Du Maurier was vague as hell. She could have stayed gone for all the help she was. And what was that, "Hannibal will convince you to kill somebody you love," business. Whaaaa? Where did this insight come from? Did Du Maurier love her patient? What? Who does Will love? Alana? Lol, nobody cares. People are gonna be like, "FINALLY!" if she dies. So... Jack? He does seem to be up for sacrifice, but I doubt Will loves his abrasive, easily swayed self. Hmm, that only leaves Will's dogs.

Obviously, Will is going to have to put down the maneaters and then there will be a reckoning...unless Hannibal gives him a puppy or something to make amends. I know Hannibal was bringing the pack People Treats prior to the Mason Buffet, so I'm surprised they hadn't decided to take a bite out of Will's sweaty ass at some point already.
Flag
His dogs?? No!!!
Flag
Yes, I agree this episode was shocking in many ways. But the one that touched me the most was Will's blatant LIE to Jack when he asked about Jason Verger's actions. Jack said: " What has he done?" and Will's answer is " Hannibal's considers him RUDE." What was that about???? As I wrote a couple of weeks ago I think Will is blind with fury and he is obviously still hurting from his experiences in season 1, so much so that he is " manufacturing" his own reality to justify what he is going to do.
And when it comes to manipulating people to satisfy one's own agenda Jack is not a new born baby, so I honestly don't know which is the real traitor here. And that is why I love this show so much. Everything is open to interpretation.
Flag
With regard to Winston 'knowing better' - Winston came into Will's life pretty much the same day that Hannibal did. I rather wonder if Winston and Hannibal are Will's good and bad angels, Hannibal attempting to drag Will into hell while Winston remains steadfast, loyal and honest. It may be that Winston is Will's anchor to sanity.
Flag
Mason must have been delicious judging by how will's dogs were eager to get the next "treat" lol
Flag
Perfection.
In a way this episode was different from what we usually get, we didn't see a pretty tableau or the effects of hannibal's use of drugs only, we saw him using them on Mason. It was so good, so raw and getting to see Dr. Du Maurier again and having her perspective was something. The latter because of her understanding of how Hannibal works, she sees beyond and knows that his plans go beyond everybody else's as he has insight on peopla.
Flag
Well i always thought that Mason was a muppet!

Flag
Pitt is awesome in this role it's so different from when I last saw him in Boardwalk Empire like night and day, Am I crazy or does anyone think he could soo do the joker?And what the hell Can't Hannibal do? He is an artisit, a cheif that makes Ramsey look like he is cooking ramion noodles and apparenlty a ninja as well? Oh and he murders pepole sooo talented.
Flag
I have to agree, after seeing Michael play Mason I definatley think he would be a good fit for the role of the joker... doubt he'd be able to top Heath Ledger's stellar performance but I bet he'd have a pretty good go!
Flag
"Whoever is pursing whom at this very moment, I intend to eat them."

*both chuckle*

"No seriously, I'm going to eat you."
Flag
Hahahahahaha! That's awesome.
Flag
come come now. if we are going to hang back with the brutes and wallow with the flesh-eating swine, why not have mason unzip his pants, lower his trousers, hack off his own junk and dine on it like it was the finest white veal sausage.

hannibal how pusillanimous of you. you are all about symmetry and letting the punishment fit the crime. mason deprived margot of functioning lady parts. would it not have been poetic justice for mason to dine on his man sausage?

it's good to know that with all the bloody violence run amok and the thirst for gore that any hint of sexuality still evokes the most squeamishness and hand-wringing.
Flag
Not sure self-mutilation (especially under the influence of overpowering drugs) falls under sexuality... It is just more violence and not sure it would add anything to an already shocking scene
Flag
There are also a few other things:
- This is still network TV, so having a man cut off his penis and eat it isn't likely to have gotten past the censors (even what they did was a lot for the censors to let go).
- I don't think Mason ended up castrated in the books or movies, so that would be a big change (not that they've stuck entirely to the source material in the show).
- Mason may have castrated his sister in a way, but she can hide it - she's not visibly scared in a fashion that everyone who meets her is going to know about what happened to her. Everyone who meets Mason is going to know that something horrible happened to his face, even if they don't know how or see his face.
- Hannibal may not have had Mason literally cut off his penis, but in snapping his neck and causing him to be a paraplegic he did ensure that Mason doesn't have use of his penis, or for that matter, most of his body.
Flag
That would have been a bit too Game of Thrones-y for the show.
Flag
yes it was a funny episode *how weird this sounds*
Ok besides trespassing and making a mess of Will's house again, fedding some random dude's face to Will's strays is just wrong, like seriously wrong man.
Bedelia I missed your style and amazing voice.
Oh Will how difficult must've been helping Hannibal.

Flag
Wow. That was gross. Awesome, but gross. Reminded me of a Walking Dead episode. I still can't believe this is on NBC.
Flag
I'm impressed with NBC's handling of this show. I heard that NBC edited out some of the arterial blood spray from Hannibal's neck when Will cuts him (fantasy scene) and in a prior episode the needle could only be shown going toward the eye at an angle…regardless, NBC does not seem to be heavy handed with Hannibal. Very impressive for a non-cable network!
Flag
this was very disturbing

Flag
I think we can safely say this was the grossest episode of the series. Loved it, but how was Mason able to speak so clearly with no lips?
Flag
I've never (ever) felt that disgusted by merely a sound - I couldn't even look at it - as when Mason Verge cut his face off and fed it to Will's dogs. I love it. Haha.
Flag
Excellent episode, and I wonder what Miriam Lass is doing at the moment.
Flag
Staff
She was busy on Veep, probably.
Flag
Perfect combination of humor, gore and all around disturbing scenes! Wonderful special effects;-)

Don't do this:

or this:

unless you want the following to happen:

Flag
like what Kind of drug was that anyway?
Flag
Consumurface (tm) of course.

I take it for acid reflux. ?
Flag

Flag
That's a quick lunch.
Flag
V... you have outdone yourself
Flag
Michael Pitt as Mason is WAY more likable that he ever was as Jimmy Dorherty on Boardwalk Empire (feels wrong saying that). I really liked the happy smile-halo he was attached to at the end of the episode. I can't wait to see what monstrous incarnation he will be when we next see him. Skin grafts are too good for this weirdo!
Flag
Another great episode. I like that it is going to be all on Will as to who he betrays. And really in regards to he being manipulated both Jack and Hannibal have done it and I am not sure who Will should be. The obvious answer is Jack, the fun answer would be Hannibal.

It takes a special kind of guy to drug someone enough to cut their own face off and feed it to dogs. Sadly Will might have to put down the strays because they have a taste for it now.

Dumarier's being alive and in custody is an interesting addition. I liked her summation of Will and Jack's plot. Because the honest answer is that they don't have him. They really won't have him unless he wants them to have him. He is just too smart for the both of them.

I am still wondering if Abigail is still alive. I want Will in the basement and I want to see what beverly saw. I hope they give that too us before the end of the season. That should be a great reveal.

And according to Dumarier is Will is going to kill someone it is going to be Alana. Here's hoping.

Great overall episode. Gorgeous in its morbidity.
More+
Flag
The whole concept that the dogs have a "taste" for human flesh now that they ate some is Urban legend. YOu have to generalize into just meat. Once they have any meat they have a taste for meat, not just human flesh. The second you give a dog a piece of chicken or a hot dog or what ever, they will have a taste for any meat. But they won't be inclined to take a chunk out of your leg just like they wouldn't eat cat or another dog that is alive.
Flag
Ah, good to know.
Flag
I do hope Abigail is alive as we never saw a body. Don't you get the vibe Will keeps asking Hannibal because he is trying to find her. I think Will is tired of the whole charade of catching Lecter. What is there to catch. He probably should have just shot him dead in his house and gotten it over with. He did break Mason's neck. I get the vibe Lecter has hurt Jack's wife. It is interesting to see Alana as the one who in a sense catches Lecter.
Flag
I was disappointed Will only envisioned Hannibal when he asked him to fantasize at the start of the episode - personally I would have had Mason strung up with him.
I guess that means that either Will is a lot more forgiving than I am, or he just lacks imagination.
Flag
Staff
Well, I think Hannibal's prompt was about killing him, specifically, so Mason wouldn't necessarily be necessary. That, or Will was, in another part of his mind, frying up Mason as bacon.
Flag
mmmmm...bacon
Flag

Flag
Oh my god, I completely agree with those feelings of repulsion/awe as Mason fed his face to the stray dogs! Though I can definitely decide I wouldn't want to do away with the scene. It was horrendously beautiful. Also, great title lol. Reminded me of breaking bad.
Flag
How great is this show?! I love it so much, and am so glad it's renewed for a 3rd season (here's hoping for more).

I like that they have pretty much concluded this chapter of the Margot/Mason story in this episode, so they can focus more on the main plot in the finale. And what a conclusion it was. I love how they handled the whole drug trip and disfigurement of Mason, setting up his later revenge plot.

Also, welcome back Dana Scully Bedelia! I just read in an interview with Bryan Fuller on AV Club, where Bryan says her return was only made possible due to Gillian Anderson's love and devotion for the show/character, since she used a very brief break between filming Crisis and The Fall in order to come down and film. I'm hoping that this means that they'll keep her character around for a while longer (now that Crisis is cancelled), and she'll play a bigger role in next season's story. Now that she has revealed the truth about Hannibal, she was pretty much marked for death, but hopefully that death will come later rather than sooner.
Flag
I watched a lot of this episode through my fingers!
Flag
As long as you didn't eat them...
Flag
"Oh God... I think the big thing to prepare yourself for is, you need to come to the finale as though you were attending a Gallagher concert. Wear your slickers because the blood is going to flow." - Brian Fuller on the season Finale.
Flag
I think how I feel about this episode can be summed up with Mason's line "I'm enchanted and terrified."
There's been a lot of gross stuff on Hannibal, but that face-cutting-off scene beats them all. Even the sound of it as Will was walking in...yuck, my stomach churns thinking about it. Great episode though.
Hannibal's look of disgust with Mason during their therapy session is my favourite thing ever. Amazing.
(I still think it's funny how you can have a guy cut off his own face and still be TV-14 but swearing/nudity is off-limits. American TV is weird.)
Flag
now, now, nudity and human sexuality is anathema to many american viewers, but you show depictions of human flesh being ripped bloody and torn asunder and fed to animals and by golly you have some good ole fashioned family viewing.
Flag
(I still think it's funny how you can have a guy cut off his own face and still be TV-14 but swearing/nudity is off-limits. American TV is weird.)

Agreed. That was one of, if not the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on television. All the nipples or pubic hair in world could not be more affecting than that scene. Some people need to get their priorities in check.
Flag
nipples and pubic hair instead of oodles of blood and violence? why that's just crazy talk. think of the children. if a pre-pubescent saw some nude flesh on the tele they might wanna have sex at seventeen or eighteen which is patently unnatural. however seeing unbridled screen violence does nary a dent to a child's psyche. by golly if a kid is old enough to walk and talk they are old enough to have a semi-automatic in their hands. but i'll be damned if any kid of mine will be exposed to human sexuality, nudity or condoms.

it's just plain ole science. young people are much more equipped to absorb intense violence and destruction than they are capable of understanding that everyone has genitals and the human body is beautiful and is nothing to be ashamed or squeamish about.
Flag
Did they "Weekend at Bernie's" Mason?? That's the dream! Or is he still alive after Hannibal snapped his neck? I'm so confused, but so amped up for the finale. What a fantastic show all the way through
Flag
As long as the break is below the fifth cervical vertebrae then it will paralyze them but it won't affect breathing. So that is what Hannibal did. He solved Margot's problem by removing mason's ability to walk but still keeping him alive so that she can continue in the life she has become accustomed to. Which was kind of nice of him. I would have chucked him out the window for stabbing my chair.
Flag
He broke his neck, but didn't kill him, just paralyzed him.
Flag
I love, love, love how they recycled my favorite line from Hannibal (the film): "He told me once that, whenever feasible, he preferred to eat the rude. Free-range rude, he called them."
Flag
I think we just found the new Joker.
Flag
Actually, I dont know if Pitt would actually make a good joker but he did make me think of the Joker a lot during his performance.
Flag
Pitt wouldn't make a good joker.
Flag
Why Will dogs?Why?!!!!!!!!!!! Don´t mess with them!
Incredible episode, I don´t know how explain how twisted this show is...
I´m so in love with Will, but I´m a bit concern about that I like him more and more covered in blood
Can´t wait for the finale, and for the next season
Flag
I totally agree. If there's anyone in the show I want ENTIRELY LEFT ALONE AND UNTOUCHED by all horrors that we witness, it's those beautiful, beautiful dogs.
Flag
Well, we know now that both of these guys are seriously wicked men. They found each other in Hell, where their fate is to torment each other forever via extreme violence and sexual innuendo. They are both successful players, alas they are never winners because the goal is not just to break the other but to kill the other - which will never happen. Welcome to Hell, level 1000.

Last night seriously had me panting. I was hyperventilating at one point, I don't think I've ever done that over a TV show before.

I loved DuMaurier's style of deliverance because it was so noticeably graphic novel. She is the first character that made me think this is supposed to be a graphic novel style series. Even her old time movie star hair was so film noir/Veronica Lake. She's always acted like she's on the verge of screaming, I love it. The other graphic novel star here is Mason - he could be in Batman or Watchmen. Another graphic novel figure is the Wendigo. But what DuMaurier said in the scene with Will - that's where my breathing changed. That's when I knew she was right; Hannibal knows everything.

--Let's not forget the most memorable scene in the movie 'Rebecca,' where Mrs. Danvers tries to 'persuade' Rebecca to take her life. The author of Rebecca: Daphne DuMaurier.

And Will - his heart does not race, his capacity for violence is ultimate, just as it is with Hannibal. It's over for Will, whatever goodness he had, it's done. He is pure evil now, just as it is with his codependent Greek-nude-boy-drawing partner in crime.

And oh how his fantasy opens with him smiling, oh so lovingly, up at his dangling master, all taut and tight, eyes locked on his prodige, with words unspoken that would say: Finish me off now and make it good - and he slashes his master's throat, who continues to to stare lovingly at him as he sprays his life force all over Will's face and hair and shoulders in a baptism of codependent sexual subversion and lust, blood as semen, death as a mere step to the next level of the game.

It's ALL a game to Hannibal. Will THINKS he's good at it by now, but he'll never be as good as it as Hannibal - and Hannibal knows this.
More+
Flag
I kind of see it the other way. Hannibal is just insane. It's like if you watch multiple episodes of "Criminal Minds". These crazies people hurt people and can do it in multiple ways. There is no sense to it. Some like Lecter are really good at it, others, not so much. Will has caught him and just waiting to make the collar. Will seems tired of the game and watching Lecter's insanity being displayed. Will is definetly more interesting to me.
Flag
I love this thinking too, but what gets me is how Will is able to stay so cold while watching Mason do such an extraordinarily sick act to himself - that is not normal, to witness this without flinching. Will is there as a forensic dude, he's seen it all AFTER the fact - but DURING? How can a relatively sane person not vomit instantly upon seeing such a thing only inches from one's face? Will is jaded, but THAT jaded? I see that he's sickened by Hannibal and that at times he looks almost murderously at him - I know he's just playin' along, but wow, come on...could YOU play along like that? This kind of playing along takes a similar kind of sick fuck to play with. Hannibal is as insane as it gets - he's the Devil of Insanity, but Will cannot be too far behind - even if his original intention was to snare him.
Flag
will seemed like a sad lover in the midst of a breakup when he told hannibal toward he end: this cannot be sustained. he seemed like he wanted to touch hannibal to comfort the blow and hannibal seemed despondent that what could have been glorious between them was slowly coming to an end. it seemed like hannibal was conveying: this isn't any fun, will, if you are not going to be a part of it with me.
Flag
Beautifully written comment!

I don't agree that Will's identity has been completely swallowed by Hannibal. It will be interesting to see what the finale and next season bring.
Flag
i didnt mind the verger cutting his own face off disturbing lol it wasnt nearly as bad as in one of the movies when he feed that guy his own brain
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members