A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E13: "Mizumono"

Television is littered with failed romances. Relationships crumble as November or May Sweeps roll around, or as a show's writers struggle to make their happy couple seem interesting. Sometimes these break-ups land particularly hard; at other times they barely register, for whatever reason. But friendships on television—well, they rarely end. They sometimes grow strained, sure, but more often than not, the "warring" parties are reunited as companions once more, their bonds renewed, the friendship ultimately strengthened.

That will not be the case with Hannibal. Friendships were shattered in this finale, and irrevocably so. There can be no replacement for the losses these people have suffered, provided that some of them actually survive in any condition where they're able to reflect on those losses. For all the craziness that Season 2 has bestowed upon us—with a mural depicting an eye built of bodies, a guy in a hydraulic beast suit, and the Vergers—"Mizumono" was a powerfully intimate hour that tore away hearts and breaths.

The way that everything in this episode led to Hannibal slicing Will's stomach and slitting—surprise!—Abigail's throat was remarkable. Much like a suspicious lover, Hannibal caught a whiff of Freddie Lounds on Will, and the tumblers fell into the place in Hannibal's mind. At that point, the jig was up, and Hannibal should've just gotten the hell out of dodge. He stayed. He stayed because the teacup of entropy and time reversed itself with Will and Abigail, and he wanted them to remain a part of his life. In their last supper together, he even offered Will a chance to come clean, to tell him everything, and to receive forgiveness for the deception. But Will kept to his and Jack's plan—he remained committed to the lie, and Hannibal offered a toast to the truth "and all its consequences."

So the hurt is real. It's deeply real. Hannibal himself is a serial killer and a master of deceit—"In your defense, I worked very hard to blind you"—and that's why it cut so deep when Will didn't all-out confess. It was a rejection, even in those fleeting moments when Will, echoing Hannibal's own call to Garret Jacob Hobbs in the series premiere, warned Hannibal that "they know." It was as close to an apology as Will was going to get. The one person Hannibal had connected with, the one person he'd found in this crazy, mixed-up world who he thought could understand him, had played him: "I have let you know me. See me. I gave you a rare gift. But you didn't want it." It's not the risk of being caught as a serial killer that frustrated Hannibal; it's the fact that he let his guard down, that he shared himself with another person, and that this other person didn't reciprocate.

Mads Mikkelsen held nothing back, allowing pain, sadness, anger, and contempt to inflect his line readings, with director David Slade's blocking—particularly in the moment when Hannibal hugged Will—emphasizing the intimacy of it all, and focusing on the grave wounds that Will had inflicted. Hannibal was gutted emotionally in the same way that Will was physically. In fact, Hannibal's experience may've been even more painful, because it seemed that Hannibal not only wanted to believe that Will was his friend, but to spare Jack—if not for Jack's own sake, then for Bella's.

How much empathy did you have Hannibal leading up to his bloody departure from his home? Did you have any at all? He's a monster straining against a person suit, a monster who believed he had, at long last, found friends—a family, even—in Will and Abigail. While Hannibal mocked Will's idea that he could change the monster, Will was correct that he did have an effect on the doctor: He made Hannibal think there was someone who could understand him, something I doubt Hannibal could say about any of his other patients/wind-up toys, save for maybe Du Maurier.

Did it change us, though? If Hannibal's first season was about our relationship to serial-killer programming on television and the psychic toll that mediated violence takes on us all, Season 2 may be about our relationship with the TV anti-hero and the question of how various narratives entangle and seduce us with him. At the very least, many of us follow the stories of mobsters, drug kingpins, other serial killers, corrupt politicians, and political fixers, even if we're not encouraged by their respective shows to identify with them. It's an extension of the argument about horror films that I made in response to "Shiizakana,"; such films provide a release valve for our darker impulses, and anti-heroes provide us that same sort of release.

So Will once again played audience surrogate, coping with the conflicting impulses of wanting to see the charismatic anti-hero to get away with his machinations while understanding that such machinations have no place in the world. It was rather neatly visually summed up by that disturbing split-screen image of Hannibal and Jack asking the significantly-less-disturbing split-screen image of Will whether he was prepared to do what needed to be done. Will grappled all season with the desire to kill Hannibal, to succumb to his darker impulses, to take Hannibal's place in the narrative and become the wendigo of psyche. Certainly, killing and displaying Randall Tier took care of some of that, but killing Peter Bernadorne's social worker might've felt even better.

But what did he (we) get for falling under the spell of Hannibal and Hannibal's anti-hero? Lots of people people on the ground, bleeding to death—a reminder that the 'anti' is still a very important prefix in this formulation. Hannibal has never shied away from reminding us that its title character is a horrible person, but it's also never shied away from playing up the qualities that so many of us respond to. Is there an ideological takeaway to about our media consumption? Will's conflicted feelings resulted in serious injuries for four people—including himself—while the man responsible for the carnage jetted off to another country in first class, sipping on champagne and letting out a sigh of relief. Where do our clashing feelings about our anti-heroes leave us when the hour's up and the show's done?

À LA CARTE

– Freddie's going to get two or three books out of all this. She's going to make so much money. Also: I'm sure she's loved staying at what looks like the FBI trainee dorms that Miriam Lass lived in after she was found.

– "I found more bullets!" I am still sorting out my thoughts on Alana for this season. 

– The only friend break-up in recent memory that gutted me—HA! No pun intended!—as much as this did was likely Alicia and Kalinda's on The Good Wife. Admittedly, that one yielded far, far, far less blood.

– So was Abigail what Beverly saw down in Hannibal's basement? I need Abigail to not die again so that she can answer some very pressing questions.

– This episode's notable piece of classical music was the return of—what else?—the aria from Bach's Goldberg Variations as we watched the plane whisking away Hannibal and Du Maurier. Though, really, the sound note for me was the unrelenting and dread-inducing tick-tock sound.

– Can you imagine if this had been the series finale? MOST DEPRESSING SERIES FINALE EVER.

– If you want to hear me discussing the finale, the hosts of Sound On Sight's Hannibal podcast graciously invited me back! It's nearly two and half hours long, so set aside some time!

– My favorite Season 2 episodes: "Sakizuki," "Mukozuke," "Shiizakana," "Tome-wan," and this one, "Mizumono." Which ones would make your list?

Was "Mizumono" a satisfying final course? What about Season 2 as a whole? What do you think Hannibal will serve up in Season 3?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

482 Comments
Comments (482)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Best show on tv - including cable!
Flag
It's incredible how a story in which we all know what's going to happen can surprise us in such way. I thought Hannibal would get caught so the incidents from 'Red Dragon' take place in season 3, 'The Silence...' in season 4, and 'Hannibal' on final season 5. This series totally blows my mind.
Flag
I mean seriously, Alana called the cops, and then Will called an ambulance for her...and none of them got there yet. Hannibal had the time to stab Will, and hug him for a while and then stab Abigail and say a few words, and nothing? That one was kinda mind boggling. =\
Flag
It was one of the most heartbreaking episode I've seen on tv, and a display of all the cleverness of the season. I like how the cliffhanger works both as a cliffhanger and as a series finale. It would indeed have been a heartbreaking series finale but there is something finale about this episode. In a way, Will and Hannibal's journey together have been completed.
This time I'm not even sure who is going to be alive next season.
Flag
The Journey, the chase is not yet completed. Will is alive and so is Jack. Dr.Chilton is alive too. Jeez, didn't you read the book?
Flag
No I did not. I didn't know it was an obligation to read a book before watching a tv show. Hope they arrest me for that soon.
Flag
Troll alert *DING* *DING* *DING*
Flag
no - you mean spoiler alert.. cause it's true
Flag
Excellent! They've killed Chilton and they've changed the Verger timeline = anything could happen. The creator now says there will be 6 series not 7. But Francis Dollarhyde aka The Toothfairy & Red Dragon are, or should be covered next. Originally it's Will Graham that catches Dollarhyde and Lector corresponds with both whilst in hospital with Chilton. But it looks like they're going to cover Red Dragon with Hannibal on the loose.

And, it seemed like Will Graham is dead, didn't it? With his surgical knowledge and the way he cut him, and with his goodbye, it seems as though Will is dead?
Flag
Abigail being alive was rather annoying. Didn't see it coming and didn't want it to happen. During the end of the finale I was sure Hannibal was going to be caught as everyone died. I was wondering if season 3 could have started up similar to 'The Silence Of The Lambs' with a whole new storyline and different characters. But the thought of no new Will-Hannibal interactions makes me sad... D:
Flag
I knew she was alive just because the first rule of tv is: if you don't see someone die, he is not dead. Which, by the way, also happened to the journalist.
Flag
I suspected that she might still be alive, I was disappointed that they brought her back just to slit her throat, there wasn't much point.
Flag
Hannibal Lecter is a villain, not an anti-hero. In any case, Will Graham is the anti-hero.
Flag
I agree with you. Hannibal Lecter is a villain.
I don't agree with you. Will Graham is a hero. There is nothing anti about him.

Flag
Agreed. I always categorize an anti hero as one who does bad things for good, or at least understandable reasons. Jax Teller, Walter White, Tony Soprano...none are particularly good guys, but I think most can empathize with why they did what they did.

Without empathy, there can be no anti hero. And if anybody's empathizing with Hannibal...not for nothin', but they need some psyciatric help.
Flag
Just caught up, last 4 episodes in a row (probably have some messed up dreams tonight). What makes this finale so good and so big is that on this show, anyone could die, with the exception of Hannibal. While I do consider Will the main character, even if the show is named Hannibal, his death could very well lead us to meeting Clarice. Jack is alive longer in the movies (not sure about the books), but than again so was the hospital administrator, so this show could go anywhere it wants. I personally think Will, Jack and Alana are alive and Abby is dead for sure, but again, they could blow our minds completely and all 4 be dead. This ending will have my mind going until I know how it will continue.

My own notes... Abby being alive took me completely by surprise, more so than leaving us with what appears to be everyone dead or dying. I love Alana's line about the bullets. And I figured Hannibal was with someone on the plane, and when I saw "Scully" my immediate thought was, damn, I should of seen that coming before they revealed her.

Great finale, but of all the shows I watch, it is the one that will tear at me the entire time I wait for its return. (the only other thing even close is Sleepy Hollow - but for different reasons)
More+
Flag
BAH. Freddie wins. But it was beautiful. I have the deepest respect for them for having this as their possible series finale, and even moreso to see where they plan on going from here, because it definitely did double duty. Spectacular season, episode, and show.
Flag
I can't help but wonder if Du Maurier was manipulating Hannibal the same way Hannibal was manipulating Will? Hannibal was maybe trying to pass on the teachings of Du Maurier and continue the line of succession?

Still, that was an excellent Season finale, one of the best I can remember. I knew jack would be hurt and I knew Abigail would make an appearance but I never expected Alana to be mortally wounded at Abigail's hands, and for a TV show to leave three of it's main characters - plus a manipulated young woman who's been living a nightmare - dying on the floor of a bloodbath whilst the big bad (titular character no less) jets off sipping bubbly took some massive balls. I've been waiting for a show to 'go there' for years and now that it's actually happened I find that I'm not surprised by the architect behind it all. Pushing Daisies has suddenly jumped to the near-top of my summer catch-up list.
Flag
see, this is my problem with Hannibal: it's why I never got into Dexter. I can't relate to the protagonist enough to follow them. They are doing too much damage, even if they feel it is justified in some way. I only watched season two, stumbled into it, and I was with Will the whole way. (And kinda Jack too) I saw Hannibal as a monster (A rare and amazing one, but monster still) to be brought down. And he walks away in the rain as Will loses (again, as I understand he did in season one) and Jack and Alana and a *surprise!* Abigail lay dying. I don't know if I can follow Hannibal and Du Maurier overseas.
Flag
I've been watching since season one, and even though the show is called Hannibal I never got the impression that Hannibal was the lead. This always feels like Will's story to me.
Flag
That's the smart thing! But think about it without Hannibal it would be about Yoga and kumbaya! Haha
Flag
Will didn't even lift a finger to stop Hannibal from carving up Abigail and then just stood there while he himself was sliced open? This was just stupid.
Flag
Have you ever tried stopping someone while you were lying on the floor trying to stop your guts from falling out of your belly?
And "caught like a deer in the headlights" is a saying for a reason. It means something can shock you to the point of temporarily paralyzing your muscles. You actually stay still even in the face of mortal danger because of indecision.
In other words, none of this was stupid. It's how REAL LIFE actually works.
Flag
Being mortally wounded makes people do silly things. ;) Seriously, he had just seen a woman he had been dreaming about (and was accused of killing) for the first time. Taking a moment to process everything isn't unwarranted in such a situation.
Flag
Seeing Abigail die will forever hunt me
Flag
I don't usually invest this much of emotion and feeling and sympathy or even empathy in one particular show like Hannibal.
Made you wonder what it was like inside Bryan Fuller's mind, for someone so "together" -if I might say- to have this tone in his show -even the ever so colorful Pushing Daisies- it just pure awesomeness
Now, I need to be in bible camp or wellness resort or whatever place you need to be to cleanse your mind from this gloom dark grim state of mind
Flag
Oh, and what was that scene at the end? Hannibal and his psychiatrist (Scully)...so was she playing everyone as well?
Flag
I would like to know the answer to that as well. I don't think it would make any sense if she was playing everyone from the start, so I would really like to know how she ended up on that plane.
Flag
It was good, but what was the point of bringing back Abigail at this point, just to kill her? "I found more bullets!" I never liked Alana, rather irritating and pointless character. Lol. I hope of course that Crawford lives...what a terrible response time by the local PD: Alana reported shots fired and some time later Will called the EMT's for her, and...? Nothing, in what seemed like a relatively long sequence.
Flag
Hannibal and Will even had time for a hugging session lol
Flag
Abigail was the biggest gift Hannibal had in suprise for Will if he followed trough. It was the anti Hannibal gesture, bringing some one back to live for a gesture. Will screwed up! He was too full of him self.
Flag
Killing her is how Hannibal can most effectively hurt Will, even more than stabbing him in the gut. It's easy to kill a person, but to kill their spirit, now that's something else entirely and is what Hannibal was going for.
Flag
Abigail was already Will's touchstone for remembering Hannibal was a monster when his feelings got murky about the psychiatrist and if that wasn't fresh enough, Hannibal had a hand in killing his other "child" pretty recently. Having Abigail murdered, most likely, again, and in front of him no less would only serve to solidify his resolve to capture or kill Hannibal. The chances of Will surviving his wounds with immediate medical care were considerably high and Hannibal, as emotional as he was, must have calculated for that possibility.

Isn't the murder of Hannibal's little sister supposedly the catalyst for his pathology? He never got over it. Maybe he hopes the loss of Abigail in such a manner will change Will, make him more like himself? Kill his spirit as you said. But that seems like a miscalculation on Hannibal's part, as I can't see Hannibal!Will being friends with the person that killed his "Mischa". He would be just as relentless in killing the perpetrator as Hannibal.

My happy place season 3 scenerio is that Abigail lives! I'm going to ignore all medical knowledge. And she has all her faculties. And she is safely housed in a psychiatric facility away from the grasp of Will and Hannibal. That way I don't have to spend all of season 3 going, "why hasn't Will just put a bullet in the head of that child abuser/murderer, yet?"
More +
Flag
You make valid points. I remember at one point telling my roommates, "I have to believe that Will is faking all this change because otherwise I have no one to root for!"
Flag
Excellent and insightful review as always, Noel! I love how you don't simply recap, but rather pull back the layers to reveal what is beneath. Very much in the nature of the show itself. See you next year!
Flag
I can NOT believe more people arent talking about this finale (and show in general!), it was mindblowing! Why didn't I see on every news/entertainment/gosh even cooking website "breaking news: Hannibal finale was AWESOME!!!"??! Its a crazy mixed up world we live in. And one that seems to scream at us that no one is ever safe, or even really dead for that matter!
Kudos Byran Fuller, i bow before you supreme greatness!
Flag
Ah, my thoughts exactly!
My friends don't show interest in the show (yes, facepalm) and I had to visit my favorite sites to read some total strangers awesome reviews!!
Hannibal series are pure art. Truly deeply disturbing and neurotic yet majestic, poetic and beautiful.
Dear Bryan, don't make me wait until the next season. This show became a part of me.
Flag
What?! Your friends don't like it?! Are they made of stone?! My heart truly goes out to you, but really its their loss anyways!
Mads will forever been Hannibal to me now. Yes, Anthony Hopkins was beyond brilliant in the role, (i even revisited Red Dragon the other day because i'm feeling so lost and alone!) but it Mads, he completely owns the character, and in the part of the finale where he's talking to Alanna and he's covered in blood, an ever lasting chill went though me.. Now THAT my friend was utter perfection!
Flag
Jack is probably dead. I hope Alana is too. Will can NOT die though. It would be so weird to watch another season without Will. He is the main character apart from Hannibal. Abigail was stupid.
Flag
I think Will survives and chases Hannibal around the world for revenge. Jack has a new show so he may or may not be dead.

My problem with this show is that impossible things are done and no one ever seems to notice. Does anyone believe that frail old man could create that giant totem pole on the beach all by himself? How about the guy who filleted his own back and then hoisted himself 30 feet in the air with hooks attached to his back flaps? And all those elaborate displays put together in just hours by one guy? The person tree in the middle of a parking lot and no one saw anything? C'mon on. I love the show but this stuff makes me crazy.
Flag
The show takes place in its own universe. If you're looking for realism... you won't find it here.
Flag
YOu are right, but it's said that it's created this way on purpose. I see it as art. Most paintings i like don't have anything to do with reality. ANd i'm fully aware of this, even though i'm a genuine nitpicker. But with this show the writers and the viewers are aware of this. Hannibal is a dark ferrytaile! for grown ups!
Flag
OK. I did not know that. I'll keep that in mind.
Flag
Is it just me, or are these reviews often quite hard to follow? I appreciate, I think, what the reviewer is trying to do, but I think he often gets a little too lost down the rabbit hole. In fact, I think many of the reviewers of this show tend to do just that, possibly because they're trying too hard to match the overly cerebral aspects of Hannibal with overly cerebral writing.

I love this show, but I do think that it's continual attempts to outsmart us all can get tedious. It lost me a little in the second, frequently too slow-paced, half, and I'm not afraid to admit that (go ahead, yell at me for dissing Hannibal all you want--great things can have flaws, too, you know--that doesn't mean the show is somehow less great if it's flaws are occasionally pointed out).

Also, I'm sorry, but I never for a second forgot that Hannibal is a monster. And the idea that somehow he was hurt by Will's betrayal—that implies that Hannibal is capable of human feeling. I have trouble believing that. The idea that Hannibal is this anti-hero who we somehow identify with through trickery and sleight of hand on the part of the showrunners--I'm not really agreeing with that assessment.
More+
Flag
hmm... i follow both this show and its reviews just fine. But I do get what you're saying, ScreenRant's reviewers do this a lot, with every show, but I understand Noel perfectly.
Flag
He is capable of human feeling in his own twisted way. He is human, he understands human emotions. That's what makes him scary and compelling and so good at manipulating people.
Flag
Probably the most beautiful and tastefully acted massacre I've ever seen in my life. A bloodbath in any sense of the word... then blue sky all around!

Can't wait for season 3... so down with a season-long hunt!
Flag
Here's some of my art.

Hannibal: http://on.fb.me/1olDDDc
Will: http://on.fb.me/1msu2aw

The set is called, "Variations of a Shattered Teacup"
Flag
Wow, really fantastic work!
Flag
Thank you!
Flag
You are insanely talented, both in your words and your paintings. I am so jealous right now. I created account here just to tell you that. I was really touched by what you wrote and painted.
Flag
Oh my, thank you so much. I'm honored that you went out of your way just to tell me that. You're a kind person. Thank you.
Flag
I don't know when the last time I have watched a finale with my jaw dropped. I was cringing the last 15 minutes of this episode. Wow.
Flag
Him calling Abigail to come to him and me knowing exactly what he intended, then watching Will beg him not to and then seeing him slowly slit her throat, was one of the saddest and most compelling moments I've seen on tv.
Flag
The last 20minutes of finale seemed like the final act of a Shakespeare tragic play. The betrayal of friends( Hannibal revealed the truth to Jack and considered Jack as a special friend), and lovers(Hannibal discovered Will's pretention) and the dysfunction of a family(When Hannibal realized that it was not what he had thought as a happy threesome with Will and Abe, he killed them all).

Since S1, I had watched Hannibal as a shakespeare play. Putting the horror and gore aside, just considering the wardrobe, storyline, dialogue and soundtrack, I feel that it is a modern version of shakespeare play. The way these people wear on the show is all elegant and upscale compared to the costume drama. The dialogue is not any daily conversation a normal person will have so deep and sophisticatic. The soundtrack is classical music.

If you can use another aspect of view to watch Hannibal, you will have different kind of pleasure.

BTW, I watched S1 on bluray with the home theater in my parents' house, it was just unbelieveable. I can't believe it is not a movie.

One question for Noel. Would you try to sort out any top ten best quote from the show? I like "I am full of myself".
More+
Flag
What an amazing Finale. What an amazing show. At the end of that episode I just felt like I was one of the victims too. Gutted and bleeding like the four new victims of the night. Hannibal killed me... Call 911 please...
Flag
First off, thanks for the great reviews and the fine effort from Noel Kirkpatrick for creating the Hannibal community page.

Secondly, Hannibal is AWESOME. If you don't like it then don't be part of this community. Freedom of speech granted but if you don't like it change the channel and watch something else - and leave those who do enjoy the program alone. Let them heap praise upon it and thrill in the storytelling, the superb acting and the sheer art created by the wonderful cinematographers.

Thirdly, STOP comparing everything with Breaking Bad. Yes, I too found myself preaching its brilliance with evangelistic fervour. But Hannibal is NOT Breaking Bad. Nor anything else you care to watch.

Fouth point - it is DARK. It looks DARK and the whole gist of the show is about darkness. Stop complaining and look for the light. It is there and it highlights just how dark things are in the world of a diabolical serial killer.

And finally. Hannibal is not an action series but a psychological thriller. Dialogue is very important as it gives us insights to the characters psyches. Brian Fuller has taken known characters and given them a new life. A new universe for us to see them. Brilliantly, I must add.
Hannibal is not a slasher series any more than The Walking Dead is about Zombies. TWD is about how different people will react under horrific circumstances - the Zombies give this context. Hannibal is about an enigmatic man who exerts great influence on those around him. And how that influence affects their lives, or deaths.

And the season 2 Finale - impossibly good. Can't wait for Season 3.
More+
Flag
You know, complaining about the darkness isn't so much not understanding that the show is dark and it should look dark—it's honestly almost impossible to see what is even on screen sometimes the image is so dark. I don't think that's pairing great storytelling with imagery that suits the storytelling, I think that's just being too lazy to make the on screen image discernible through the darkness. It's one of the reasons I could never get into Lost. That show had many similar problems with lighting.
Flag
Have you tried adjusting the contrast for your TV?

Honestly, this show is shot like a Rembrandt, where darkness and shadow is the norm, and just the barest touch of light is used to highlight key details. It's not the norm for TV, so a lot of people think something's wrong - but it's a beautiful form of art, and helps to paint a world suitable for a serial killer.
Flag
Wauw!
I Mean
Wauw!

Have to think and adjust myself for this one.
Flag
Hmmm did Hannibal killed jack's wife? and is this why jack goes in blazing?
Flag
No he did not kills jacks wife! although she asked hannibal to do so.

Flag
well because i noticed the following and i'm not entirely sure. Could be nothing but the stain on the bed is the most strangeis the most strange i think?

Flag
No, she's still alive at the end of the episode. Jack calls her while he's in the pantry to talk to her one last time. When Bella picks up on the other end and calls out to him he's either dead or unconscious from the blood loss.
Flag
Well thats what i thought also, but when you jack calling her and when she answers jacks call(in his mind) we see his phone display and is says "BELLA Calling Mobile"so it;s hasn't been answered. so maybe a dying thought. Also her oxygen suplly is far away when he leaves the room.. And i think Bryan Fuller is pretty genieus so i think he didn't slip up"! .. All credits to Bryan Fuller on this one, if only we could do something back to give him a truely show he loves.. Sherlock is second in my top 3..
Flag
"Can you imagine if this had been the series finale? MOST DEPRESSING SERIES FINALE EVER."

Another NBC series "The Others" has that title I think. Everyone in that episode was killed, had their entire world shattered or both.
Flag
i don't consider many TVs shows art. but this is one of them.
Flag
Well, for one thing, I will never play poker against Mads Mikkelsen. Never. That man can keep a poker face like no one I know. He is such a tremendous actor that the slight motion of his face can either speak volumes or be like the silence of the dead. To be in such control of one's acting is just stupendous and honestly, Tatiana Maslany, in another register, is the only one to equal him on serialized television today.
The scariest part to me is not the actual slashing and massacre, but that he can enjoy the falling rain as he does after having done the deed. This is the mark of the monster. The other the realization that he actually kept Abigail alive all that time, in order to slash her her throat at exactly that moment in front of Will. I'll let you think about that for a minute.
God, I hope television series can go on to be so good. Amen.
Flag
Well about Abigail - he didn´t let her live just because he wanted to kill her in front of Will. He wanted them to be "family". He killed her because Will betrayed him. Funny is - for me - Hannibal acted in this episode for almost the first time like a normal human (yeah, I know - with killing, but still - he showed some emotions)
Flag
I don't really know that Hannibal felt betrayed. After giving this some thought, I don't think that he is that naive, to believe that Will or Abigail or anyone can subscribe to his vision of the world- his weltanshauung, so to speak. I think he wanted Will to accept him., and that's something else. Acceptance does not necessarily need adherence, but seeks comprehension that becomes a part of reality. This would explain, I believe, the great effort towards an aesthetic of death that defines Hannibal as both a serial killer and a cannibal. The art he put into his killing is not a sexual impulse or even a need to explain the deeds; but a desire to be recognized as an artist , albeit a gruesome one, as a matter of claiming existence. This is what Will ultimately rejects from him. Will systematically wanted to use a gun or to pull a switch (in the case of the pigs); both of which are vulgar to someone like Hannibal. When he prevents Will to kill with the gun, it is not the killing that he objects to, but the manner. This massacre has to be seen in the light of a lack of aesthetic he abandons his art just to slaughter. This is why the title of episodes are gourmet dishes. Art has failed.
More +
Flag
Great finale. I can´t wait for season 3, i wonder if they will take the route of the books next season. After all the show is about Hannibal not Will or Jack ( I love them though) but i feel the show should be more Hannibal based now on , they finally declared Hannibal a serial killer officially so i assume next season will be a manhunt . Not sure what limitations ( in terms of copyrights) the writers have about the saga but i hope some cameos of Red Dragon and Buffalo Bill in future seasons (maybe Clarice) , i know the show is based on Red Dragon only but since the show is doing good perhaps they will get extended the rights to other books right?
Flag
1) this show doesn't have the rights for Clarice or Buffalo Bill. MGM owns them.

2) Season 3 will blend Hannibal Rising and Hannibal. We will get a new origin story for Hannibal and the FBI and Mason Verger will be looking for Hannibal.

3) The first episode of the season will be very Hannibal and Gillian Anderson heavy. We won't know who survived this season until the second episode.

Flag
Thanks for replying. Those are great news indeed, Mason Verger is like Hannibal´s nemesis and it would be great to see that story developing, not sure Will be around next season since he was part of Red dragon´s events and not part of Hannibal Rising or Hannibal (was he?) story lines. I love Hugh dancy is magnificent actor and he shares a great chemistry with Mads Mikkelsen . I wonder if Dr FrederickChilton will be back next season too, i think he´s alive and i´m sure he wants revenge.
Flag
What a crazy finale. One thing that bothered me about the final scene/showdown is that it took cops so long to get there. Alana calls it in before she even enters the house. The other is how Abagail & Will just stand there and take their slashing.
I have to admit that after Hannibal had his way with everyone that Du Maurier was going to pop up and shoot him or something. I didn't expect where she ended up.
So who survives? I'm thinking a scarred (see what I did there?) Will and a paralyzed Alana. Jack, maybe in a coma.
Flag
I thought watching the movie, "silence of the lambs" would help... since Jack is alive when Hannibal is caught... and in the other movie "red dragon", Will is alive too
I think the writers will change this ....
I can not wait till next season
Flag
The showdown probably took like ten minuets. Not very long.

Abigail had Hannibal inside her head for what? one year? That's a long time to have Hannibal in your head.

Will was getting over the shock of seeing Abigail. Alive. Hannibal didn't killer her after all. Well...

Flag
Hannibal not Killing Abigail and keeping her alive for Will's sake and then killing her in front of Will was really ruthless...that showed me how much wounded Hannibal must felt and that I don't want to have a friend like him ever :P
Flag
I liked how they showed Hannibal trying to bust in to the pantry. The way he was ramming the door over and over was as animal-like as they've ever shown him.
Flag
I know! We don´t see this part of him very often (I mean obviously we KNOW about it but they don´t show it). But I find still funny how calm he is even it this kind of situation. I mean - he was furious, hurt, in murder spree and yet he didn´t shout or raised his voice.
Flag
I also liked that... it was so carnal. Stag-like?
Flag
"Then this is the clearest moment of our friendship."

I'm still shivering.
SoundOnSight said "'Mizunomo' is one of the Greatest Television Episodes of All Time". I concur. Even for a Hannibal episode this had a great many instantly desktop-izable stills, beautiful .gif material (the rain, folks, the rain!), perfect direction and much much more I've already said below.

I see many reruns on my screen in your future, "Mizunomo".
Flag
"Mizumono"*

Also, we should've seen the bloodbath coming: the above means "liquid cargo". There was loads of that, yup.
Flag
That is not correct. All the episodes are named after courses in a Japanese kaiseki dinner. Mizumono is a seasonal dessert that is the final course.
Flag
According to this you're right, according to this I'm right. Most likely we're both right, with the meaning you suggest obviously being the pre-eminent one as all of Hannibal's episodes are named after a dish. However, given how much attention to detail Bryan Fuller has, it's thoughtless to discard "liquid matter" as a second meaning when the episode so prominently features rain as well as blood.
Flag
I am going to say one thing, and I hope I'm wrong; but since at the beginning of every episode we are reminded that the show is based on Red Dragon I think we are going to enjoy a hole season inhabiting " Hannibal's Mind Palace." Please go over Will's and Hannibal's conversation as they burn Hannibal's patients records. The brilliance of this magnificent show is that NOTHING is what it SEEMS.
Flag
Plus...almost every line is a foreshadowing of something yet to come, even in a future episode.
Flag
I just watched the dvr of hannible season finale,Holy Cow what an ending, i hope they dont cancel this show,it can only get crazier from here on out.
Flag
Don't worry, it's not cancelled. It's been renewed for next year, with the midseason schedule again :)
Flag
very kool.i was drooling thru most of season finale waiting for whats next.
Flag
Fantastic ending! Especially the final few scenes... I really hope Abigail lives to tell her story. Alana I could take or leave though...
Flag
I knew this wasn't going to have a happy ending...BUT HOT DAMN! lol
Flag
Freddie's damned perfume!
Flag
The show was renewed in large part because it's cheap to produce. However...

...they still had to make some cuts.
Flag
Sooo ... Brian and Jimmy bickering over a dead body? Cut to Hannibal in Paris enjoying a piece of Scully with a nice Bordeaux? Cut, Beethoven, end credits. Sounds good!
Flag
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. ;)
Flag
A magnificent and a masterpiece of a finale!!!!!! This is the new "Red Wedding" can't wait for season 3
Flag
Breathakinly Amazing...see you next season thank you crew/cast!!!!!!!
Flag
Only one word to describe this series - Perfect
Flag
I don't think Will was warning Hannibal so much as trying to save Jack. Alana had just told Will the FBI was not on board with Jack's plan and was coming to arrest Will - this would mean Jack would have no backup or snipers on the roof as originally planned. Jack would be facing Hannibal alone which would be extremely dangerous. Will was probably hoping Hannibal would get out before Jack arrived.
Flag
What the fuck just happened!?!
Hannibal took down everyone that entered his home that night - three of which brought guns to a knife fight and lost.

Hannibal's performance was brilliant. I've never seen him so much pain before and he was the one inflicting the physical wounds. His emotional pain was obvious.

Was Hannibal and Du Maurier working together all this time?

I believe Will and Alana will survive. Alana might be brain damaged and Will will be in a coma for a while.
Flag
oh my god! where to begin?? the beautiful photography, the exquisitely timed soundtrack, this so welcomed upgrading the show has brought to the original story... or Mads superb performance wins the prize for best feature in this ( favorite of mine ) show? i truly felt for him, when Hannibal smells treason in Will`s hair. the look on his face! it broke my heart :( also, such an absolutely engaging fight scene between Mads and Lawrence, they look so experienced, so... sad for being there, so tired. buuut isn`t it super cool that Hannibal would kick Morpheus ass? i mean... Morpheus ass ;)
can`t wait for the soundtrack to be released. bet the cover will be beautiful too!

Flag
I feel sad for Hannibal...crazy right...? That's how I know this show is well written and executed.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members