A Hannibal Community
NBC (ended 2015)

Hannibal S02E07: "Yakimono"

I guess we're going off-book, as it were.

Frederick Chilton wasn't long for this narrative for any number of reasons, including 1.) his firm positioning in the "Hey, that posh guy with the great kitchen is killing people and eating them" camp, 2.) being the ideal patsy for the Chesapeake Ripper ("I have the same profile as Hannibal Lecter"), and 3.) the fact that Raúl Esparza has a full-time gig on another show. But, given that Chilton was a mainstay in both Thomas Harris's novels and in their cinematic adaptations, I fell into the trap of thinking that Hannibal's poor self-preserving Chilton would survive this. Sure, Beverly Katz was part of the novels as well, but her role had nowhere near the prominence and importance that Chilton's did, and was thus a little more narratively expendable in the grand scheme of things. But Chilton! Chilton was supposed to be there to be proud of having Hannibal in his care, the crown jewel of Psychopath's Row, as it were.

Chilton's sudden and surprising departure, however, served as a not-so-pleasant reminder that, while Hannibal is using Harris's novels as inspiration for its style and tone, the show is by no means beholden to them. Hannibal has always been its own creature, there's no doubt about that, but for it to shift away from its sources, and in such a bold, mic-dropping manner, is a sign of its confidence in its own narrative abilities.

Quite frankly, I'm all for this. Faithful adaptations can be tedious, reduced to a series of checking off boxes and going through the motions. Indeed, if you'll excuse a soft cross-medium comparison, Hannibal is to its source material what the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was to its corresponding novel: a distillation of a narrative made distinct, thanks to a bold approach in style and tone. Adapted characters are recognizable alongside their original versions, but still unique to their now visual (as opposed to written) world, an important aspect when you're adapting something for television and film.

Hannibal, of course, has the freedom to veer further from its source than Harry Potter did, making it a bit more similar to, say, The Walking Dead's desire to keep audience members who've read the comics on their toes than it is to those films about wizards at school. So while Hannibal rewards fans of its previous incarnations with re-contextualized visual nods and quotes, it also wants to surprise them—to inform us that, like Hannibal said to Will, we don't know everything, that only the show has all the answers. It's much more exciting when we can't anticipate the show's every move, even if there's some pleasure to be had in that as well.

Of course, none of this means that Hannibal won't still find itself looping back to the novels at some point. Will's confidence and his bitterness that no one who can actually do something is listening to him reeks of the Will Graham that Jack Crawford visited at the start of Red Dragon, a man who was tired of having to prove himself to people who kept turning to him for help in the first place. So while Hugh Dancy has been great in the episodes up to this one, his performance felt even sharper as Will returned to the field and donned his glasses. He had a certain swagger that we'd never seen from him before, a swagger that Dancy put into Will's voice in the last few episodes and supplemented with physicality this week, which served to remind us of just subtle his performance is. He's a new man, this freed Will Graham.

And then it all turned on a dime at the end, surprising us yet again. Will's unkempt appearance was gone, his hair trimmed, his shirt a solid instead of a checkered or a plaid, perhaps indicating a more put-together mind (look how nicely he folded his coat over his arm instead of simply wearing it indoors!). The confidence in his voice and demeanor were replaced with soft politeness. It may've been a mask of respectability and meekness to lure Hannibal into a false sense of security, but Will tried that approach earlier in the season and abandoned it for more aggressive hunting tactics. Then again, Will's always been a fisherman, not a hunter, so perhaps he was just returning to his wheelhouse.

And it may be for the best, too, since between the over-the-top evidence that Hannibal left in Chilton's house and Miriam identifying Chilton as her captor, Jack was seemingly happy to draw the conclusion that Chilton was the Ripper and that this case was all tied up in a pretty bow made of entrails. Which, of course, is exactly what Hannibal wanted the entire time; it's why he allowed Jack to discover Miriam, it's why he abducted Gideon, and it's why he didn't kill Chilton. It's probably why he even copped to the psychological priming when Chilton confronted him earlier in the season. Everyone's dancing to Hannibal's harpsichord.

À LA CARTE

– In his honor, some prized lines from Chilton this week: "The Chesapeake Ripper has set you free. Mazel tov." "I have no intention of ending up on his menu." "I would like to remain not dead for the foreseeable future." "May I use your shower, please?" "Abel Gideon was half-eaten in my guest room. I had corpses on my property. You just threw up an ear!" R.I.P., Frederick. I'll miss you.

– If you're curious, the first two Harry Potter films would be akin to the Red Dragon film: uninspired slogs that rather missed the point in an effort to ensure the narrative beats were served.

– So Alana and Will are firmly on the outs. Applesauce will not be visiting to play with Winston anytime soon. I really enjoyed their scene and the tensions between their two sets of knowledge and beliefs about Hannibal's nature and Will's actions. Good and necessary stuff.

– I am so very curious about how Hannibal conditioned Miriam to associate Chilton in her psychological priming, especially as the show played up Hannibal, both aurally and visually, in her initial flashes of those events. Also: I loved that shot through two-way glass as she fired at Chilton and how the cracked glass looked oh-so-much like an eye.

How did "Yakimono" taste?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/29/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

248 Comments
Comments (248)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I will miss Chilton's character. I thought he was a great addition to the regular cast of this second season, he brought a touch of dark humor the show needed.

And of course the episode was fantastic, but Hannibal reached such a great level of quality it almost feel normal to expect such a degree of smartness from it. If it is cancel (and I don't think it will be) TV will certainly be a bit dumber next year without it.
Flag
This episode was so obviously great on its own that I don't feel like I have much to say about it. Shocking, surprising, and quite compelling. Keep up the good work, cast and crew!
Flag
I always like to enjoy my breakfast with a slice of Hannibal...what a brilliant way to start a day!
Flag
Awesome episode asusual ...please renew it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I´m sure Chilton is alive...(comatose or some such but alive), one thing is revamping/adapting a book´s story and another thing is totally altering the chain of events/characters. I´m sure the wirters of the show are smarter than that since Chilton will be very important in Hanniball´s life in few chapters of his journey, iactually Chilton is pretty much his actual archenemy not Will.
Flag
In any other cop/FBI show, 24/7 surveillance would have been put on Hannibal Lecter. And he wouldn't have been able to go anywhere at will to set up his tapestries of death.
In any other show. But this isn't.
Kudos to "Hannibal". And its art direction. And sound. And music. And acting. And writing. ...
Flag
Also, there would have been surveillance on Frederick's groovy pad as well. I'm sure with a crib like that, there would have to be some kind of video security...but no. This is Hannibal - it doesn't need to make 'that' much sense.
Flag
I thought Miriam's face was very familiar. I tried to figure it out on my own, but couldn't think of anything I might've seen her in. so, I checked imdb.com and holy cow, it's the girl from My Girl! :O
Flag
She is awesome on Veep as well
Flag
More often than not, I'm glad I haven't read the books. When it comes to watching the show, I'd rather it be fresh. Much in like it's been so long since I've seen any of the films, much of the character dynamics are all "new".

This however is one of those times where I wish I was more up to date because Chilton being setup to take the fall seemed like the obvious "solution" to Hannibal's problem and the plan he'd been working on since he really began feeling conflicted about Will carrying the blame. Taking a bullet to the melon while in the interrogation room I didn't see coming...but not an, "OMG!!!" type surprise.

New confident Will, now THAT is a BAD man right there and one that I can see going head to head with Hannibal in a battle of manipulative wits and holding his own.
Flag
As many have said, playing with somebody's mind isn't that difficult, more so for someone like Lecter. Knowing both Chilton and Lecter have similar backgrounds and techniques, we should consider the possibility that Hannibal planned to use Chilton all along as a scapegoat, using a recording of Chilton's sessions to "program" Miriam. Maybe he had this ace in his sleeve and had to use it now that the circle around him was getting closer.

Will tells Hannibal that he has to deal with him, and that Miriam shot Chilton as a way to take her life back. Then Hannibal asks Will how would he recover his life and Will says by resuming therapy. IMO, this is Will's way to "deal" with Hannibal, playing the friend and the patient to finally expose Lecter for what he really is. He's totally throwing a bait there :)

BTW, Alana is a moron!!!

Wonderful show, excellent actors and brilliant writing and direction!
Flag
What I don't get is that Will knew Chilton was innocent, so why turn him over to Jack? What did he hope to gain from that?
Flag
Because Chilton was supposed to be safe inside. And would have been had it not been for Jack letting Miriam in the observation room. In fact Jack let that happen and let Alanna Bloom interview Chilton, who has a bias and a current need for Chilton to be the Ripper over Hannibal. Jack is really dropping the ball.

Perhaps Will thought that Chilton would be able to do what he did and organize his thoughts in order to find a course of action to work against Hannibal, except this time, Chilton in Will's position would have had Will to support him and vice versa.
Flag
bet this is how jac kat least tempo loses his job
Flag
Very salient points, thank you!
Flag
Will didn't ask for privacy anymore when working his mojo, I guess he truly turned dark. Btw Brian tweeted that it's possible to survive a gunshot to the face so Chilton is maybe still alive.
Flag
I hope they leave Chilton in limbo but they don't kill him off. This way they can bring back the actor later (He is a great chilton and reminded me of Anthony Heald who played him in Silence of the lambs and Red Dragon) but this way they could stretch out the interplay and hunt for Hannibal and bring back Chilton later. I think it would be a mistake to kill the character off because if the show lasts (would love that) they could bring him back and still not break continuity with the major event's of the books. I have kind of liked that nothing they had done in the show negated anything from the books.
Flag
I'm sorry, but this is more like a comparison between the books/movies and the tv-show then an episode review :( Nice to know, but a lil meaningless for me, as someone who didnt see the movies (except the 1st one 10 years ago) or read the books.
Flag
Actually there are three movies based directly on the books featuring Hannibal. Manhunter directed by Michael Mann is actually 28 years old. Then came Silence of the Lambs which came out in 1991 making that film 24 years old this year. You are obviously referring to Hannibal which is the Third film to feature the Thomas Harris characters.
Flag
Yea and I personally watched the 91 movie long time ago and I actually care only for the tv show right now.. I got no reference to understand any of the stuff the writer writes about.. And it might be cool but I just cant relate or understand.. :/
Flag
Really? This show is getting old.. They should start calling it "Hannibal the almighty" since he seems to be able to do whatever he wants whenever he wants without ever having to handle the consequences...
Flag
wherever I see Miriam (Anna) I can't shake the memory I have of her crying and saying "His face hurts! And where's his glasses? He can't see without his glasses. Put on his glasses! He was gonna be an acrobat!"
Flag
Jack has to know that Chilton isn't the chesapeake ripper (CR) since didn't 2 of the murders occur when he was still recovering from his kidney removal? There are other reasons why Jack shouldn't think he is the CR so I'm hoping for this all to be a fake out (or turn into a fake out).

By the way, having just 1 kidney doesn't mean you can't eat meat so that wasn't enough to discount him but his physical limitations and being in the hospital for two of the murders should rule him out (or put him lower on the list of suspects) as the CR.
Flag
Also, comic relief: "I enjoy portraiture..." and we're looking at a drawing Hannibal did of some woman's butt. NICE PORTRAIT, dude.
Flag
Portraits are not just of peoples faces only, and while you might have focused on the "ASS" it did contain the models face.
Flag
I'm sorry, you are incorrect. Portraits depict only the face or head and shoulders. The body shot of the woman seen from behind can not be considered portraiture.
Flag
Hannibal controlled and confused both will and miriam, he saw through the plan and planned better. Now I ain't confused anymore, hannibal is the reaper, but how will he be caught? it's the plan that Will is doing...
Flag
I don't understand the confusion regarding if/how it was possible for Hannibal to convince Miriam that Chiltern was the ripper, he screwed with Wills mind enough that he had him convinced he could be an insane serial killer? Brainwashing Miriam into believing anything he wanted and conditioning her to react in certain ways..killing Chiltern at a predetermined trigger.. would have been easy considering he had access to her mind for two years uninterrupted and she was no Will to start with.

As to the other nit picks... Hannibal should have been nowhere near Miriam.. but then this show defies law and logic.. he shouldn't be able to wonder into to csi labs as they are examining evidence... especially the time it was his suits.. and he was just wandering around as Beverley worked? And yes Alanna is fickle and stupid and should not be on a case where her lover is a suspect.. and no matter what Will did.. an apology for not believing in him, not listening to him and trying to convince him he was mad and a killer ...never mind locking him up and throwing away the key would have been nice.
Flag
Hannibal is such a fantastic show. Damn. I had and inclination that Hannibal was going to set up Chilton but I didn't think it would be that well done. Damn.

I still have to wonder whether or not Chilton is truly dead. Through the cheek and out the neck could potentially miss a lot of vitals and he could very well still be alive. Though the death would be a great deviation from the books. I have never liked Chilton up until the last episode. I will miss him if that is the end of him. But either way it pushes the plot forward. And really shows the genius of Hannibal.

Breaking someone mentally isn't really that difficult a task. All it takes is time an effort. No one can outlast the psychological pressures that one can put on another, but to program them against their nature is another thing in and of itself. I don't believe, though Miriam likely would have been a successful agent, I doubt she would have been a killer unless it was a self defense situation. Killing a handcuffed man in a chair in interrogation is entirely different and quite interesting. I have to wonder if she is going to stick around. I would love that, I would love for Will and her to have more screen time together because they are the only ones with similar experiences under who will knows is Hannibal and Miriam "knows" is Chilton. I think that is an interesting dynamic. In fact I would say that is way more interesting than Will and Alana. Alana is easier to pin down with her biases due to her current relationship with Hannibal. But Miriam can potentially be unlocked like Will was and when that happens, what happens. She not only gets confronted with who really did this to her, but she gets confronted with that she killed the wrong person. I am not sure I just find that interesting.

Will is stepping up this season. He was very much Hannibal-like in his interactions. In particular with his interactions with Childers. Will knew that Chilton wasn't going to shoot him. He exuded that confidence that Hannibal has shown in the past. The confrontation with Will and Hannibal was fantastic. I think it was Will showing Hannibal that this can always happen that we are on equal footing, you can kill me just as easily as I can kill you. But even with that, perhaps not, I doubt that Hannibal really thought that Will was going to kill him. And thus begins there dance, on even footing and they are going to see who wins. And I can't wait.

However Jack still has this issue that Will said in the last episode. How many people does Hannibal have to kill in order for Jack to see the truth.

The other thing that this episode did was kind of paint Hannibal into a corner. He just laid all of the ripper's killings at the feet of Chilton. So is this going to be a stop for a while in his killings. If he kills again, Will can as Hannibal knows lay it at the Ripper's feet. If that happens then Jack knows it is Hannibal. It will be interesting to see if Hannibal keeps on killing and if he has learned from Will to hide his narcissism and his stamp on killings. That too is going to be interesting to see what comes of that.

Overall fantastic episode. Probably one of if not the strongest one of the series.
More+
Flag
WOW this Episode really had me yelling at the screen. It would break my heart to think that Dr.Chilton is dead and will still be believed to be the Ripper for some great time. Or what if he survives and STILL is believed to the ripper?

It is very frustrating as the audience to see innocent people framed for something they did not commit. Even if it is is a show, garbage like this happens all the time in reali life.

And Dr. Alana Whore Bloom is really pissing me off as well. There are actually no strong minded non gullible Women in this show. One is a gullible whore and the other is also weak minded who shot an innocent Man in the face.

How hard is it to remember for instance Hannibal's accent? He has a strong accent. Miriam could have described his voice and made more effort into remembering where she went. How could she have forgotten that she went to Hannibal's house? She did not have to remember his face.

Anyways, what will the next episode include? Alana on her knees? Smdh

I will LAUGH my @ss off if Alana Bloom ends up in Hannibal's dinner plate.

But first she should she her loverboy is guilty first instead of being for instance struck from behind without knowing who hit her.

She better listen to Dr. Chilton's warning!!!!!

I cannot wait!

Sorry guys, excuse my hate packed rant. I really do hate characters like this. They ruin good shows and embarrass the female gender. Worst of all, people like this exist.

*shivers*
More+
Flag
Where to even start?

-Yes, Alana is acting pretty gullible, but in a generally believable way. Slut shaming her isn't really adding anything to the conversation.
-Miriam Lass's actions are understandable, as she was kidnapped and psychologically conditioned for TWO STRAIGHT YEARS by a PhD level psychologist who also happens to be a murderous sociopath. In terms of recognizing his voice, she didn't, which suggests he used his light treatments in combination with recordings of Chilton's voice to program her. Remember, Hannibal's ostensible reason for leading them to Miriam in the first place was so that she could play her part in framing Chilton (if he's dead, he can't say anything to contradict the narrative Hannibal created).
-In terms of your ludicrous claim that "there are no strong minded non gullible women in this show", you forgot Hannibal's psychologist. She happens to not be around right now because, smartly, she doesn't want to be anywhere near Hannibal, as people who know too much about him have a habit of disappearing and/or ending up dead.

Conclusion: you have issues with women and also aren't too bright. Sorry!
Flag
Whore? In what way is she a whore? Because she had sex with a man she trusts and likes, get a grip.

Hannibal has everyone on the show, bar Will fooled, why is it the women who are gullible and not just everyone?

Misogynistic much?
Flag
I'd hardly say that Alana bloom is gullible, don't forget that she and Hannibal are supposed to know eachother for a long time. You wouldn't believe how many relatives and friends of a serial killer in real life end up saying something like 'I never thought he was capable of such a thing'. It's just human nature I guess, has nothing to do with gender.. you just never really suspect your close friends to be capable of things like that. Added to the fact that hannibal knows exactly how to play people
Flag
Will returns to therapy.
back to square one... albeit with a twist!!!
Flag
i'm sad that chilton is gone but overall, i really loved this episode
Flag
Chilton must be dead - unless he gets amnesia and totally forgets the confrontation with Hannibal in his plastic suit.

The trailer for the next episode would lead us to believe that Will and Jack are on the same team, or at least don't believe that Chilton was the Ripper:

However, there could be another patsy for Hannibal, because soon we will be meeting Mason Verger, who will be played by Michael Pitt, and according to THIS INTERVIEW with Bryan Fuller, he will be an antagonist for Hannibal.

Flag
I posted this on the FTW article but will duplicate it here:

one could argue that he wore the plastic suit so as to not contaminate the scene and since he did a good frame job on Chilton and survived Will accusing him then I doubt he fears anyone will believe Chilton. Plus Chilton's reputation is tarnished whereas Will's wasn't tarnished. Moreover, Hannibal already knew Chilton knew he was the Chesapeake Ripper so he had nothing to hide from Chilton.

I'm just keeping an open mind and for all I know is that Chilton could be dead or alive. There is not enough evidence yet to sway me to one side or the other. I think I have said that in almost all my comments~that I'm not sure if he is dead or alive. It's the people who are convinced one way or the other that have me scratching my head. Everyone thought Gideon was dead. I asked about him early this season and NO one responded. Again, I'm not saying he is dead or alive but that it was portrayed in an ambiguous manner.
Flag
I no longer read the FTW article, so your duplication is lost on me.

Flag
Damn. I forgot about the plastic suit. I guess you're right. Chilton must be dead after all.
He'll be missed.
Flag
I wonder if Jack is suspicious at all about how the final crime scene was? He should know by now how meticulous the Chesapeake Ripper is, why should he believe that the Ripper would become so sloppy all of the sudden? I hope, after the initial excitement dies down, he can see how staged everything was.
Flag
Jack has been wrong in just about every situation. Does he have some kind of homosexual man crush for Hannibal as the reason? hannibals chemistry with Alana was about as believable as a dog having sex with a cat!
Flag
they slept together once it doesnt mean theyre in love
Flag
I agree. Hannibal is probably only able to make love because he sees it as part of his beautiful design. All the pieces must be perfect, so, he controls his body in this respect as well. She serves a purpose in the design, she is not there for companionship or for pleasure. That she doesn't know this is also part of the design.
Flag
Hello, my name is tobsh and I'm a newly found Fannibal! I had this show on my watchlist for a few months now and finally got around to watching it. And how glad I am I did!

Anyhow, let's cut to the chase: this episode was full of twists and set-ups for the remainder of the season. It seems Will has, upon his release and Hannibal's latest machination, renewed his determination to start turning the game around on Hannibal. This was an incredibly well done mid-season table-shuffle. We're in for a feast of double meanings and subtle and unspoken attacks, basically Will & Hannibal's plus Hannibal & Dr. Du Maurier's conversations from the first season in one. Cat & Mouse with Cannibal the Hannibal, so to speak.

The one thing I didn't quite buy was Jack's undoubting determination when Frederick was served up on a silver platter, even when Will told him it was a ploy. This stood in direct conflict with his speech to Will at the 'hospital', where he told him he shouldn't have given up on him. Why does he keep on making the same mistake? "No, Will, he's playing with you!" - You should know better by now, Jack.

One more thing: It's tough to find settings that stand out above the rest on this show as it's so incredibly beautifully shot but the scene between Will and Alana was so well put together! Simply taking a look at Alana here - dark blue coat, emphasis on blue eyes, white-grey snow, yellow-grey sun behind her - is enough to marvel at the set designers' attention to detail.
More+
Flag
Miriam said jack was ''peculiarly clever'' that is a joke he is a bureaucrat
Flag
Oh i loved how Will didnt back down with Alana. Is it just me or is everyone else excited for when it all blows back in her face?
Flag
Does get me wrong im a massive fan of the actress who plays Alana but after everyone really didnt listen to will im looking forward to the end of this season big time
Flag
Why though, why would you like that? Imagine this situation was real, and a close friend of a serial killer believed in his innocence to the very end. Would you really gloat over a moment like that? I'd feel sorry for that person, losing a friend like that.. can't imagine how horrible that must be.
Flag
Cannot express enough how bad I want to see this happen. Although I am torn about how it should happen- should she die or live just to see Will give her the "I told you so" look and subsequently freeze her out of his life. I feel like the latter would give Will more to work with and show that despite his incredible powers of empathy, he is still human. On the other hand if he coddles her and tells her it wasn't her fault I will be pissed!
Flag
My wife is of the opinion that when everyone finds out, Alana will be the one to off herself after everything shes said/done.
Flag
i am so looking forward to that!!!!!! Bam!!!! Told you so!!!!!!!!! Bam!!!! Stupid Alana!!!!
Flag
Well, I definitely am excited.
Flag
Hannibal is definitely one of the best shows this season. I really hope Bryan Fuller gets to do his full seven season plan, but barring that, a better "Red Dragon", and Bryan Fuller finally getting a show to a third season, would be nice.
Flag
This show is pretty amazing! It was so sick how Hannibal cut off Gideon's leg and served it to him - and he ate it! The way he was missing all his limbs at Chilton's house... So disturbing!

I don't understand how Hannibal could have managed to mess up Miriam's mind so much that she was so STUPID to believe it was Chilton. It just seems a little too easy.

It's a bit sad that they always make a female character so incredibly stupid as Alana, who end up sleeping with a serial killer etc. and not even consider the possibility when Will specifically told her... It makes her so damn stupid, and imagine how sick if it had been real, to know you slept with this sicko. It's not like they seemed to have a romance or anything either, just cold sex. Oh Alana, you'll feel so stupid later once you find out the truth about Hannibal, unless you die first. If she had been smart she wouldn't have slept with anyone so easily, but even the rumor or that he was a suspect should have been reason enough to stay away from him, knowing that the ripper HADN'T even been caught yet.
More+
Flag
Well she's not stupid. This show is to good for that. She is a long time friend of Hannibal.
Flag
please provide examples, other then chipping the dogs, where she was intelligent.
Thanks!
Flag
She's a well-respected psychiatrist working with the FBI. Her handling of Abigail Hobbs last season was sharp, perceptive and shrewd. Her taste in art and fine craft—which overlaps considerably with Hannibal's and no doubt contributes to her attraction to him—is sensitive and astute.

Alana is NOT stupid. Hannibal has insinuated his way into company uniquely qualified to sniff him out, and Will Graham is the only one who was able to see through his ruse...and even that took twelve episodes and lots of meddling with his brain. Hannibal has been Alana's friend since the beginning of her professional career. She's not stupid for trusting him; she's emotionally invested in their friendship, which I don't believe is entirely faked on his part. Hannibal's willing to manipulate anyone for his purposes—and he's used Alana—but he wouldn't have maintained her acquaintance if he didn't genuinely want her around.
Flag
"well-respected" is not an example of her behavior and just shows that other people don't see much of her behavior and just look at her CV or hear her lectures (if she even lectures). I know tons of "well-respected" people in their chosen careers and they are morons in real life activities. Just because a person can do a few things correctly (I'm not sure she even does that much) doesn't mean they are intelligent or aren't stupid.

"working for the FBI"---so I guess season 1 of The Following's FBI agents were intelligent? They were so stupid I couldn't bring myself to watch season 2. The example applies since we are talking fiction. I doubt she took an intelligence test or any test of logic/reason to be able to contract with the FBI. Apparently there is a shortage of psychiatrists and psychologists.

She may of interacted nicely with Abigail but Abigail is still one messed up girl (if she is alive) and just because she didn't screw up one thing doesn't make up for the many idiotic behaviors since then. I was starting to like her after she logically chipped the dogs but it was all downhill from there.

"taste in fine arts and crafts" is subjective and is not a measure of intelligence

blind "trust" in a friend just shows her stupidity. She did it with Will and according to her principles she got burned. So what does she do? She does it again but with Hannibal.

The rest is just rationalization of her being manipulated so it doesn't fall under examples. Hannibal manipulates everyone but she seems to be the easiest to manipulate since she is "simple"
More +
Flag
Oh yes, she IS stupid. Intelligent people can also do really, really stupid things... She is blind to the possibility that Will might be right about him, and Will was ALSO her friend and always used to be right, and they were almost getting involved romantically as well and their relationship felt more true than her random sex with Hannibal...
Flag
Not everybody is a psychologist who has ties in the work of criminal investigators at the FBI and I said profilers would have a field day with Hannibal's places because of his clearly obsessive character. Sure, lots of sadistic psychopaths have families, lot's of them never kill and live happy lives and some are famous or CEOs of big companies, so what? What is your point? What does your personal resentment have to do with profiling? Be a long time single and certain persons wonder if the reason is not a secret or even a secretive life that can't be lived secretively when living in a committed relationship. It's not my or your doing that people suspect the obsessive bachelor for life driving a white van with lots of duct tape in the glove box more than the happy family man with tons of friends and 2 friendly dogs.
Sure Hannibal intrigues brilliantly, there is always an excuse for Alana, blablabla, thing is: Alana is not meant to stop existing every time she is not on a scene on the show. She interacts with other people, has time to think for her self, develop doubt, consider possibilities, but no - she stops at the beginning of being reasonable, considerate and objective - something a fucking psychologist should be professionally more able to achieve than anybody else. Jack and Beverly didn't had to suspect Hannibal either, all the physical evidence spoke against him but still they began to see to understand - to believe Will. Both of them were not as close to Will as Alana was. To a lot of people that's looking poor, even with considering her emotional entanglement in both parties.
More +
Flag
@klotensen—

If that's true for Alana, that's true for EVERYBODY. And I resist your implicit sense of "family" as some unequivocal recommendation both because sadistic psychopaths can also have families and because most other characters in Hannibal don't have visible families either.

I'm also not clear what your problem with Hannibal's home and office spaces are. I'm sure a profiler would have a field day anywhere, but there's nothing wrong with Hannibal's decorating style. But even if there were, once again Alana is no more clueless, blind or stupid than Will, Jack, Chilton, Du Maurier, Lass (before she stumbled onto the "wound man" illustration), or any other of Hannibal's numerous professional colleagues he's hosted.

You berate Alana for not being "objective," which is probably impossible given her personal relationships with both Hannibal and Will (also true for Jack as well). But an objective perspective (without additional furtive knowledge, like Chilton, for instance or Will with his recovered memories) would not currently suspect Hannibal. None of the physical evidence implicates him. Now multiple witnesses—however deceived or manipulated—have exonerated or alibi-ed him for Ripper events. The only "evidence" against him is Will's certainty, which he cannot prove, and the continuing suspicious circumstances of the successive frame-ups.
More +
Flag
If she's not stupid she's at least misguided and blind AND contrary to her job she has issues in assessing events and developments objectively. A profiler would have a field day just by visiting Hannibal's home and working place for gods sake. Hannibal hardly is the nice family father with family and office job from the next door. Alana seems stupid for not even having the slightest doubt about Hannibal, no mistrust, no carefulness, nothing.
Flag
do you think he had recording 's of chiltons voice playing while she was captive and alana is the most incompetent physchologist doesnt it seem odd that nobody is close to hannibal and he doesnt show emotion haha
Flag
I am deeply sadden by his departure. The actor was flawless with his work. But I can't lie it all played out devilishly delicious. Mazel tov.
Flag
I wonder if Miriam will become a recurring and/or prominent character in the series going forward?
Flag
I suspect she'll be recurring, but I don't think she can be all that prominent, at least not yet. By the end of the season, I'll bet they'll have to reconcile in some way Miriam's exoneration of Hannibal.
Flag
If the writers are insistent in killing off prominient books characters, can we please have Alana Bloom go next?
Flag
I'm a little disappointed that Chilton is gone. Just like Beverly, the last couple of episodes leading up to his death featured him heavily... if only the writers had graced us with his presence more often throughout the series.
Flag
Things are looking up for Will and Miriam*, so I knew something bad had to happen to another character to balance it out, yet it still managed to surprise me.

* OK, so Miriam is practically 'armless, probably permanently traumatised and she's just killed a man in cold blood. Still, her condition has been upgraded to alive and she's no longer Hannibal's prisoner. I hope they don't just drop the character now, 'cause I want to know what happens to her. She may not be as doomed as it seems. I mean is there a jury in the world that would convict her?
Flag
Whatever else her shooting might have been, it wasn't "in cold blood," since that implies a calm, calculated decision. Miriam's was a traumatized reaction in a heightened state of fear and distress.
Flag
Yeah, wrong term. But in any case it's not what law enforcement would call a "clean shooting".
Flag
Brilliant, brilliant episode. I've been purposely holding off reading the books until after this season so I can enjoy it more, though it sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. I can't wait to see what happens next week, though I will say I'll be a bit disappointed if we don't get to see Hannibal sweat soon. It's wonderful to see a villain so good at what he does, but no one's that perfect all the time.
Flag
I find it hard to accept that they actually believe that Chilton is the Ripper.
The Ripper eluded them for years. Successfully framed Graham for his killings. He then deliberately exonerates Will from his frame-job.

And then we're supposed to believe that he is clumsy enough to be discovered with his house full of damning evidence?
I don't think so.

It has to be an elaborate ruse. Though how they got Chilton to agree to getting shot in the head, I really can't explain.

I'm pretty sure Chilton survived. All we saw was him lying on the floor with a bullet wound in his cheek. He'll be in bad shape but not, necessarily, dead.

I think Hannibal is pleased that Will wants to bring him down. That's why he wants him around. To his twisted mind a 'friend' is a worthy adversary.
And Will is the only one he holds in such high regard. Possibly Du Maurier as well but she got the hell out of there.
Flag
He may not be dead.
Flag
you are correct someone with the rippers psychology would not have been so untidy and had the evidence at his house and how he just surrendered when jack point the gun at him jack is just guided by his guilt for what occurred to miriam
Flag
Not only that, but Chilton mentioned he can't eat meat (he only has one kidney now), he is too physically disabled to take, and he was being disembowelled by Gideon when the ripper killed two people. So it should be obvious to anybody in the show that Chilton isn't the ripper. It has to be a set-up.
Flag
Jack knows very well that Chilton is not the Ripper. His face in the woods said it all. However, he decided to bring Chilton in to lure Lechter out never anticipating that Chilton would be killed in his custody.
Flag
Perfection.
I must confess the beginning of the episode was a bit tedious but it all served to play Hannibal's narrative and Chilton will indeed be missed. That scene of him -Chilton- arriving to his house and the monitor sound turning into asystole OMG perfection.
I don't know why I thought those mirrored glasses were bullet proof but well turns out they're not, I was hoping Chilton would have Hannibal under his "care" but well it's indeed refreshing to get surprised each week with the producers decisions on this show. I really think it's the best show ATM.
Thank you for this amazing recap, as always, very well put.
Flag
Great episode, so glad to see Will back in fighting form, and the plot comes together such that Hannibal planned everything from the start.

I wonder if he implanted in the young f.b.i. agent that if she recognized her captor she would have to kill him??? Would not be surprising.

I thought Hannibal looked surprised when Will said he wanted to start therapy again. Nice to see that, he doesn't know everything that's going to happen. LOL

I thought it was weird Jack having the young agent talk to Hannibal and let him hypnotize her-wondered if he wanted to see if she would recognize him then. Jack must be SO confused and feel SO guilty. Imagine how he'll feel when he discovers who the ripper REALLY is????

I fear Jack will die soon too. I hope not, because Fishburn is SUCH an excellent actor, the show wouldn't be the same without him.....
Flag
So it happened...
I had to burn down my Noel shrine because now he keeps on driveling about Harry Potter... lol j/k
There was much hope that the series takes some liberties and continues to reinvent Hannibal in order to keep every fan, old and new, on his/her toes. And here the show confirms my hopes with such a ballsy act.
Jack, Alana ... who's next to fall prey to the master of intrigue?

Flag
The Bryan Fuller/Raúl Esparza partnership always yields nice results, but unfortunately since Esparza is such a busy bee (Broadway, countless TV gigs) he never stays long. It's unfortunate to see Chilton go. I loved his frightened face.

I, too, wonder how Hannibal conditioned Miriam to think Chilton had been her captor. Did Chilton assist Hannibal at some point and provided clandestine therapy to Hannibal's prisoner under the guise she was a committed patient or something like that?

Or maybe, a more technically complex scenario. I imagine Hannibal keeping Miriam under the influence of heavy drugs, and projecting to a life-size screen a film of Chilton speaking his soothing words. Miriam would watch that and, in her semi-awake state, would mistake that for real actions. Hannibal could've asked Chilton to record some of his therapeutic techniques and Chilton would be flattered to comply.

Or maybe it was a completely different way and we'll learn it in the future.
Flag
I used to love Alana but now she simply annoys the hell out of me her blindness to Hannibal infuriates me although the thought of her dying is not a pleasant one she does not deserve death or the impending heartbreak when she realizes the man she let inside of her is a killer the killer she is trying so desperately to catch
Flag
I'm surprised she is even allowed to know information about the case at this point. She is dating one of the suspects, and is clearly unable to be impartial on the matter of Hannibal. She isn't being professional at all.

Speaking of unprofessional...why the hell would they let Hannibal anywhere near Miriam? She needs to be in a hospital being treated by a psychiatrist who specializes in kidnapping/abuse cases. Not left with one of the people who is a potential suspect in her kidnapping!
Flag
Hannibal is charming. I don't blame her.
Flag
oh no I don't blame her there I'd date him in a heart beat if he wasnt a killer
Flag
I'm not convinced Chilton is dead.

Alana~I eagerly anticipate/wait for her death…lol.
Flag
I watched it so often now and I think he's dead. It looks at first that the bullet enters below the left eye and exits at the back of the head/neck on the right side but closer inspection tells me it exits way more in the middle and I think it's possible his atlas was hit if not shot out of the neck - beside the blood there is also a thick chunk of tissue flying towards the cam and of course I'm a layman but doesn't that mean any man or woman instantly and irreversible dies from that? Like unplug life, power out, game over? They need to confirm his death though. Without I have to assume a second coming of Chilton.
Flag
The bullet enters the face through the check/maxilla bone and then we see a blood squib spray from below the collar. The downward trajectory of the bullet has it coming out lower. Based on the blood squib spray I would say it missed the brainstem. I'm more concerned about the trachea (blood filling the lungs) and the carotid & vertebral arteries and jugular vein. This isn't the best site but it was the first I came upon that seemed easy to read for those without medical backgrounds
http://www.apparelyzed.com/support/functionality/c1-c3.html
or
link to deficits after injuries to various areas of the spinal cord
Flag
So even a destroyed C1 doesn't mean death? Good to know... The rest I already knew from my brother's injuries. But it's deadly in most cases, especially with a dramatic blood loss coming from various injured arteries and/or veins?
And if it was a tad more upwards, if his stem brain was perforated? Surely that would kill him? So in other words - for you only a decapitation is a clear sign of a violent and certain death? J/K, you're right and after Gideon nobody shall be sure about anything anymore... I'll wait for confirmation then.
Flag
decapitation, severed torso, smushed flat with a steam roller, heart ripped out of body….lots of ways to be certain of death….lol
Flag
I will refer you to the .GIF a few comments above. Kind of reminds me of The Pledge, and boy was that dude dead.
Flag

I'm not saying he is alive but it is possible. If he is alive I hope they keep it a secret for awhile.

Flag
Obviously you're more the expert on the matter but wasn't that a whole lot of blood for a through-and-through?
If he's alive though, I'm looking forward to a Javier Bardem in Skyfall kind of make-up.
Flag
I bow down before the sheer power of logic and reason.

From what we saw Chilton has a fair chance to be alive and well. Put two patches on and he is good to go home.
Flag
see my .gif below and Klot's gif above--you can't say dead or alive since either is a possibility.
Hopefully he's alive (I was right about gideon~lol)
Flag
I'm pretty sure Chilton survived. All we saw was him lying on the floor with a bullet wound in his cheek. He'll be in bad shape but not, necessarily, dead.
Flag
Chilton's head blew up like a ripe melon.
Flag
face looks shot but the skull (except the maxilla) seems ok

Flag
Maybe I was hypnotized to believe his head exploded...
Flag
are we watching the same show?

I saw a bullet hole in the cheek/cheekbone and some blood come out the back of his neck. He may be dead but he may be alive. So far I've been "lucky" with my guesses (gideon being alive and beverly dying at least an episode or more before the reveal). Yeah, he may be dead but his head did not "blew up like a ripe melon"
Flag
If Chillie survived that gunshot would, he's even chillier than I thought. Excellent episode. Hannibal rarely disappoints.
Flag
Back of the head or through the cervical vertebrae. Yikes. Hopefully he's dead. I'm not interested in watching Chilton the paraplegic. That seems a little excessive even for Chilton's abhorrent self.
Flag
@klotensen

I hope this video works for you. If the hollow point bullet fragments when hitting the plastic milk jug then hit would of fragmented when hitting the mirror so maybe Chilton was just hit with a fragment. Yeah, he's probably dead but I'm not convinced

Flag
@klotensen
is the window "bullet proof" (lol, I guess not) and how thick is the glass? Maybe the bullet expanded upon hitting the glass and Chilton was just hit with a fragment…
I doubt Fuller expects the public to know that the FBI uses hollow points so maybe Chilton is alive (I'm hoping)
Flag
@Vicky: I would love to see what happens to a hollow point after being shot through a window.
Flag
well hopefully it missed the carotid artery, jugular vein, and cervical cord. Hitting the cervical vertebrae without damaging the cord maybe ok if he "just" took out the facet joint and the associated nerve roots. Hitting the cervical vertebrae would likely cause a lot of swelling that could temporarily affect the cord but may not be permanent but this is all just wishful thinking on my part. The FBI use hollow point bullets so it really is just wishful thinking on my part.

I've been a fan of Chilton's comic relief since the start of the season and would miss the character. In this episode he was funny and sympathetic---props to Raul for making Chilton funny and likable despite many of the character's motives & actions.
Flag
you can see the head isn't blown up and it's just blood from the squib which appears to come from the neck

Flag
So, I answers the question of whether or not anyone is safe in this show...
Flag
Good episode and most comments have been made. One thing bug me though. Why did Jack allow Miriam to be hypnotize by Hannibal since Jack thinks he is a main suspect. Chilton offered to do it and Jack went to Hannibal instead. Hannibal's brilliant may NOT work if Jack did not take that step. At the very least, he would have to try another way to brainwash Miriam.
Flag
I don't understand this at all either, at the very least Jack could have found an impartial psychiatrist to help Miriam. Sometimes I think Jack is just an ordinary FBI agent with little common sense instead of the lead profiler of the BAU. He really should be able to figure some of this out himself with anybody's help.
Flag
I still think Hannibal will find another way to brainwash Miriam but having Jack do it is kind of bad writing on the writers part.

I agree pyschological battle are more difficult to write than gunfight scenes and mostly Hannibal writers had done well but I guess there is a slip up this time in order to move things faster,
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jack' flapping in the wind at that point. Totally shaken by Miriam's odeal, deeply sorry for doubting Will and, as part of doubting Will, believing Chilton. Will was always saying 3 things, "I'm not the Ripper." "Hannibal's the killer." and "Chilton is conducting unorthodox therapy." Once Jack had to believe the first one, he seriously considered the other 2. Miriam seemed to cllear Hannibal but in his next meeting with Chilton, Jack saw the man for what he was, a self-serving glory hound and quite possibly the hack psychiatrist Will had accused him of being."
Flag
I am curious why everyone watching the show was better able to pick up on Chilton's shiftiness and general creepiness better than the FBI director.
Flag
I don't get this either, he is suppose to be very capable however I have yet to see him display any type of real perceptiveness.
Flag
Will reuniting with his dogs was beautiful!! I felt bad for Chilton although he has a sweet crib!!
Flag
I actually found Chilton's home to be a marvelous piece of psychological decoration. In an episode that depends on Chilton and Lecter sharing the same profile—which Chilton himself elaborates to Graham—it makes sense that Chilton has a home that wouldn't be entirely incompatible with Lecter's own. You look at it and think "Hannibal could live here" and it just seems appropriate.
Flag
Good point!!! didn't realize that
Flag
Great episode and review!

Chilton will be sorely missed, he has really grown on me this season. His sassy snark and totally blunt remarks will be leave a big hole in the show.
I have a feeling that Jack knows Chilton is not the Ripper despite arresting him. The look on his face when he caught him in the snow was to me the realization that Will is right and that this sad style of groveling would never come from someone as self-confident and brazen as the Ripper. I wouldn't be surprised if in some future episode we get a situation where Hannibal has all but won and there is no way for Jack and Will to prove he is the Ripper, only for the next scene to be set in an almost ethereal white room with medical equipment beeping and a flash of Chilton on life support.

Also I love new confident Will, his composure and new swagger is so enjoyable to watch. Loved how he called out Alana on making him doubt his sanity. It’s also great to see him back in therapy with Hannibal in the end, except this time despite Will still being the patient, he is the one who is going to be doing the analyzing- it is him getting to know his prey better, the opposite of what was happening in S1 and symbolizing that his is no longer the victim in his own story- he is now directing the narrative instead of being lead around.

That brings me to my least favorite part of the ep- Alana and her self-righteous, holier than thou attitude. She grates my every nerve whenever she is on screen, I cannot wait to see her face when she realizes what Hannibal is, right before she ends up on his dinner plate!

Would also like to add that visually this show delivers every time, the shot of the last victim in the cherry blossom tree, in the center of Hannibal’s office was breathtaking!

More+
Flag
I am so glad I am not the only one hating Alana. I had to hop on here and read the comments to make sure I wasn't the only one wanting to see her face when she realizes she was wrong. :) I do not care for the fact that Jack continues to let her help with the Chesapeake Ripper case. He knows she is sleeping with Hannibal so wouldn't that be considered a conflict of interest?
Flag
I really don't understand Alana still working on the Ripper case, she is sleeping with the main suspect and is clearly compromised. Oh and on top of that Jack lets said main suspect probe the mind of the only survivor, but rejects the offer of the psychiatrist who isn't a suspect? WTF?! Are there no other psychiatrist on the FBI payroll?
Also Alana has now officially joined an elite list of characters that both annoy me to no end and at the same time bores me to within the last second of my attention span. I really don't care how they leave their respective shows, just be gone!
Flag
I don't think Chilton's dead. I've seen a man who used a shotgun to try to kill himself who blew off his entire jaw survive and have reconstructive surgery, whereas Chilton's injury wasn't even visible, just bloodspatter. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he was grazed by the bullet or injured by the glass and they are keeping him in a hospital under wraps for awhile, to keep Lecter off-guard or to preserve Miriam's sanity. Will said Miriam "was compelled to take his life to take her own back" - she wasn't necessarily successful. If Chilton is truly dead, I, too will miss his character.
Flag
Poor Chilton. Disemboweled, his nice digs destroyed, now his face blown off. But I wouldn't be surprised if he survived the gunshot, he survived disemboweling and, frankly, I thought his destiny was to be a patient in his own facility. That could yet happen if he isn't dead. I'd prefer he continued to be not dead.
Flag
Good theory
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members