Hannibal

Potage

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 18, 2013 on NBC

• Legacy

I thoroughly enjoyed that there was no "killer of the week" and we solely focused on the Abigail Hobbs storyline. Seeing Abigail wake up after having that memory of her father saying to "honor" the deer by using all of it was a macabre touch. The best element of the episode is that there I couldn't tell conclusively whether or not she had helped her father in the killings or not. Jack and Will, with Hannibal and Alana in tow go to the hunting cabin and she explains that her father had been "terrified of germs" which was why he was so clean although just a killer. Them visiting the house and walking through the "Hey Hannibal you be the guy that called my dad" thing was a clever touch. This show is so creatively brutal (the human hair in the pillow yuck) and Abigail being alienated by her community since they see her as an accessory of her father (now dubbed the Minnesota Shrike after a bird that harvests organs for consumption). But interestingly the brother of the supposed Shrike copycat from the pilot, who Hannibal killed to inspire Will in the right direction, shows up and confronts Abigail about her father having done it. When he intrudes in her house she guts him with a knife in supposed self-defense and her and Hannibal hide the body, after surprisingly knocking Alana out cold against the wall. Hannibal's right about even if it was in self-defense it will still be seen as she is just like Garrett Jacob Hobbs had been. One thing, how did Abigail deduce that Hannibal was the one on the other end of the phone? Was it the Danish drawl or simply instinct, and him only admitting to "wanting an interview" with her father makes him pathologically disturbing. They agree to keep each others' secrets and I doubt this is the last we see of Abigail. Although Abigail couldn't see that Hannibal had mutilated her friend and tied her to the antlers in the hunting cabin (beautifully shot by the way) but Will sees it as the same killer who killed the copycat victim of the Shrike. But there is still much more to come. Especially hearing about the pulled episode (I hope that pulled episode it is included in the DVD package as I would like to own this when it is released) I respect that Bryan Fuller wants to be sensitive with the Boston thing happening right now. But still 12 episodes is more than enough and next episode looks fantastic so let's keep it going.