Hannibal

Relevés

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 13, 2013 on NBC

• Minnesota

Will get some much needed clarity with his hospitalization whilst his fever breaks. Coincidentally he is in the same hospital that Georgia, the face tearing killer that Hannibal framed for Dr. Sutcliffe's death, is in the same facility. She is in a highly oxygenated apparatus that keeps her skin intact unlike the outside climate. Their reunion, combined with their bonding and Georgia's not remembering her crimes made her sympathetic and much more complex than when we had first met her, and this also shows that the killer of the week formula isn't so much in place because she serves a role when she tells Will that she didn't see the face of the person that killed Dr. Sutcliffe. Hannibal learns of this while visiting Will and cleverly puts a plastic comb in her apparatus that she uses to brush her; and due to the high oxygen levels the spark of static electricity makes her combust into flames. The FBI take the case pondering how Georgia must've set herself on fire since a bracelet she was supposed to be wearing was supposed to stop static electricity. Will insists that it's a murder though because of the timing of her reveal that she saw Dr. Sutcliffe's killer. Nobody believes him, even Jack. The team later finds a piece of a plastic comb (they believe) in the crime scene and Will connects Dr. Sutcliffe's murder (how did he know which slab in the lab had Sutcliffe's body in it right off the top of his head?) with the copycat of the Minnesota Shrike (Garrett Jacob Hobbs). Abigail begins to lay out her book with Freddie Lounds and gets a visit from Will, who's determined to visit the cabin in Minnesota to find the copycat. They leave together while Jack believes that Hannibal is protecting what's really wrong with Will. He visits Hannibal's psychiatrist who tells him that Hannibal is indeed worried about Will and that Hannibal feels a kinship with Will. We even learn a little more about the patient who attacked her and that it involved "a swallowed tongue" of which is implied Hannibal protected her. But Hannibal points Jack in the direction that Will is the copycat; having been the last person to see the impaled antler girl alive, in Dr. Sutcliffe's office the night of his murder, and so on. Jack finds out that he's too late and that Will and Abigail are in Minnesota already. The scene at the cabin becomes the most disturbing as Will hallucinates that he kills Abigail out of anger after he discovers that she killed Nick Boyle and that Hannibal knew and didn't tell him. Will loses time again, finding himself in Virginia still on his flight without Abigail. The FBI also discovers that Abigail was in fact an accomplice in her father's murders, having been the bait and being the second person Hobbs bought train passes for while visiting colleges for orientations where Abigail posed as a potential student to lure girls into her father's kill-traps. Abigail returns to her home and finds Hannibal there and tells him that Will knows everything. Hannibal comforts her but not before Abigail deduces that Hannibal was the man that called the house that day her father was killed before Will arrived and kills him. Hannibal doesn't deny it and instead in his own way admits that he was "curious" how the events would unfold if he had warned Hobbs about Will's coming after him. Hannibal apologizes to Abigail because she knows the truth and the last shot of the episode is her asking if he's going to kill her. Of course I think the resounding answer is yes, Hannibal's admission that he's killed "more than your father" gives us a tally of a lot more than 8 plus whomever he's killed this year: the copycat killing in the pilot, the sister of Nick Boyle, Dr. Sutcliffe, his patient and Tobias a few episodes back, and a few others that I may be forgetting. This was a very topsy turvy episode in terms of thinking who was behind what, the whole bit where Jack spoke about making conclusions based on the evidence made me chuckle since WIll's intuition rarely comes from that. It was a complex web that Bryan Fuller and his team have put in front of us as we move into the last episode of the first season I have to say this is quite the thrilling season and this show has kept me on my toes in terms of thinking and daunting me psychologically. But I can't wait for the finale to premiere, it's so far away.
  • you made me chicken soup!

"Silkie chicken in a broth. A black-boned bird prized in China for its medicinal values since the 7th century. Wolfberries, ginseng, ginger, red dates, and star "You made me chicken soup?"

My favorite scene of this great pre finale episode. In it's simplicity it's a clash of cultures and viewpoints between Will and Hannibal. And also it clearly marks a turnpoint, where Hannibal learns he cannot control Will and his empathic ability. Will's summary of the dish description is almost offensive. Hannibal's consent that comes after a little pause is almost shocked. It was yet another power play of the 2 great minds and clearly puts aside any possibility of true friendship - if there ever was one.

When later on Hannibal explains his curiosity to Abigail it brought me the closest in this show so far to understanding and seeing the Hannibal character I got to know from Silence Of The Lambs: playful, charismatic, super relaxed, yet suffering from the boredom of feeling alone at the top in a world with nothing to offer for him but human inconsistency.

I loved every bit of it.
  • There were better episodes

Not the strongest episode, after Georgia's death it was kind of boring. But scenes between Dr. Du Maurier and Jack or (well, of course) Dr. Du Maurier and Hannibal were amazing! This show needs more Gillian Anderson and her character! Now that is a strong female lead, not this joke Bloom.
  • Amazing

This episode, in the psychological aspect, was one of the most exciting yet. Action-wise, it was dull, but there was so much development in the story I didn't care. I find it intriguing to see how much darker Hannibal Lecter seems to have gotten over the course of 11 episodes, from playing an innocent psychiatrist (with an accent that can sometimes be distracting) to framing Will as a serial killer for murders he didn't do, when he (Hannibal) had committed the murders himself. I feel really bad for Will, who now has all the odds turned against him, but that could work out as an excellent cliffhanger to the next season. So, overall, this episode was good. Not the best, but good all the same. :) :)
  • Hannibal.

Just when it seemed like Georgia Madchen was getting better, Hannibal had to tie up a loose end by killing her. Will's mental illness is getting worse, i thought when he was in hospital they were going to do tests on him, to find out he has Advanced Encephalitis. (I Guess Not). I will say Jack with the help of Will is connecting the dots to the other copycat (Hannibal) murders, but everytime Jack does, Hannibal steers him into Will's direction. So nice to see Dr Bedilia Du Maurier & now i know what happened when she was attacked by one of her patients (He Swallowed His Tongue While Attacking Her). How convenient Hannibal was there, so much more between Hannibal & Dr Maurier going on. So Will takes Abigail to Minnesota, to her fathers Cabin & while there Will managers to get the whole truth from Abigail, but unfortunately with Will's metal state he wakes up back on the plane alone. Abigail goes back to her old house & Hannibal is waiting there, i guess from what he said, Hannibal is going to kill Abigail & try & pin the murder on Will. If only Will didn't cover up for Abigail killing Boyle we wouldn't be here. Fantastic Episode & One More To Go. Thumbs Up NBC.
  • Chicken Soup

It felt like a bit of a dull episode, but the plot progressed so much that it could never be overlooked. I really do enjoy the inevitability crescendo this show hasn't once failed to adhere to. Reveals and realizations are not left to fester. They are swiftly dealt with and - here's the most impressive bit - not forgotten, rather, woven into the metaplot. Earlier in the season, I feared that the show was progressing too quickly, but this week made it plainly apparent that the writers know exactly what they're doing. Hannibal just wants to see if he can make a mini me.
Su-Zakana