Hannibal

Sorbet

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 09, 2013 on NBC

• "Bon appetit"

In this episode the Chesapeake Ripper aka Hannibal pushes Jack even more to the point where if he finds him he won't catch him, he will kill him. Each episode we are learning more about Hannibal and we know he is one step ahead of Jack and Will all the time to the point that he is feeding them his victims. I was glad to see that Gillian Anderson is now a part of Hannibal because obviously she is well known from X-Files but being Hannibal's psychiatrist could be really dangerous for her but we will see how her role develops.
  • Person Suit

The level of danger between this episode and the last has increased dramatically. Holy cow. The contrast between the business card rolodex and the recipe box sent chills down my spine. Hannibal's starting to crack and it's delivered beautifully. Jack's face when Will was on the table in the mortuary. The split scene between the new victims and Lecter preparing meats. The look of a trapped animal when he was in the ambulance. So good. Soooo good. The case itself wasn't that great, but that's not what this series is about. It's about the people and they've developed perfectly in this episode.
  • Friends

What seems to be a victim of the Chesapeake Ripper shows up in a bathtub with sutures cut open. Will walks through the crime scene and believes that whoever did that was trying to save the person's life by massaging their heart by opening their own sutures after having performed a botched procedure of some sort. Since the Ripper's MO includes humiliation of some sort in his staging Jack believes whoever did this, despite the organ removal and finding Miriam Lass's hand last week, is not the Ripper. Lecter murders a medical examiner he sees as rude in a flashback and takes four others to provide for a dinner party per suggestion of a friend of his which complicates the hotel organ victim as a possible other Ripper kill. This episode began to show us more on Hannibal aka the Ripper's MO and how he selects his victims through business cards and different recipes in his Rolodex. Also brought up in Will and Hannibal's discussion is the notion, as the books also had, of Hannibal killing those he believes to be rude or cruel in some respect, for example the guy who took his blood with whom he inquired for a business card of. Jack's recurring nightmare conveyed effectively his own fears about Will after seeming so eager to catch the Ripper through Will while at the same time fearing for Will's life if he got too close to the Ripper. This connected well with the last episode bringing up Miriam and the Ripper's typical 18 month window which indeed started again but didn't stick to the (similar to Trinity Killer) limit of 3 per cycle as per usual. As Jack notes if the Ripper is starting again, after the Hobbs' copycat and Miriam Lass's hand, and needs to be found while he's still actively killing. Their later victims of the episode are all victims of botched surgery and while the Ripper connection still seems prevalent Will still insists on a different sort. This was also a great episode to show us inside a little more of Hannibal's routine beyond simply cooking and drinking wine, but instead interacting with his own psychiatrist and slightly obsessive patient Franklin. Franklin stalking Lecter is amusing seeing how Franklin's curiosity could well lead to his demise should he learn too much, but at the same time I believe Hannibal to be much too careful to kill someone so close to him personally. The montage of his Rolodex/Recipe kills/removals were delightfully macabre and made me not want to eat for quite some time. Word of advice: never watch Hannibal hungry you feel guilty afterwards, since there is such a negative value judgment on cannibalism as it is. Hannibal's very suggestion to Will of the organ taker possibly harvesting the organs puts Will in the direction he needs to go as he continues to have trouble getting Garrett Jacob Hobbs out of his head. Hannibal actually learns something from his very own hunters from his excursion with them to follow the lead on the kill vehicle which is a private ambulance. They track the vehicle down and catch the Harvester mid-saving and Hannibal saves the life of the victim by fixing the heart problem. Now what the would-be doctor was doing with the victims, obviously harvesting organs, was for practice to simply become a doctor with practice on live patients or to harvest the organs for financial gain was not elaborated on as he simply was shown, had a line, and then was promptly arrested. But the episode showed us also how very protective Alana is of Will and her "just wanting everyone to leave him alone" much like a big sister would which complexifies their relationship a great deal. The final scene showing Hannibal toasting the dinner party guests is a clear homage to the books and his line was suitably double meaning, "I must warn you. Nothing here is Another interesting scene was Hannibal with his psychiatrist and how she observes that he wears a "well-tailored person-suit" being quite observationally apt. I can see Hannibal continuing to see her from a standpoint of seeing someone who truly has perspective on you as a person and that intimacy being quite sufficient for relational talk and even sharing wine as they do. The insight into Hannibal's decision to give up doing surgery because he lost a patient and instead focused on culinary arts was a link I wish that the writers had made sooner given that we hadn't known until last episode that he had been a surgeon before becoming a psychiatrist. The recurring theme of friends in this episode fit nicely as Hannibal silently refuses Franklin's friendship, who himself rejects his friend Tobias's friendship, and seems more prone to "touching greatness" than a mutually beneficial friendship. Hannibal describing how he enjoys friends, a total lie it would seem, was great to see as his extra-curricular activities stop him from having a social life outside of his culinary skills or love for the opera, or from being followed while cheese shopping. But what last week's episode did for Jack as a character with a dark past this episode did with Hannibal and his routine. I hope the show continues to delve into other characters, perhaps into other members of the BAU in Jack's Unit or even an Alana Bloom episode would be great to see them fleshed out (pun sort of intended) a little more.
  • Foodies can't

tell the difference between human and ALL other species meats! I like this show - works best in 2-3 ep's in a row - but if foodies . spoiled entitled types or social pro's) don't know what they're presented with then society really is dead. Even some entitled clown is going to know the difference between goose faux gras and human liver etc.

I disagree that Mikkelsen is the shows' weakness, it's Larry, and if viewers struggle with his voicing they should pay more attention to that than their cheetos! But I do subscribe to the theory that many US viewers are so locked into in Americanised dialects that other pronounciations spell bye, bye to much media. Shame.

Oh and really enjoyed this episode. The writers should have had Hannibal onscreen doing the do sooner than last and this weeks' ep to instill a greater sense of fear, than just the lurking type 'you know' he's a killer style.

This show would've worked far better on cable, as it wouldn't have been mired in the after effects so much and could've shown the acts in detail and the dense and dark fear they illicit in its victims. Ho hum.
  • going strong

Good episode, dr. Lecter is creepier and creepier and the same time more and more intriguing! And dare I say it... charming.

Finally we saw Gillian Anderson's character, hope to see more of her!

PS I don't even get what you are talking about when you say you don't understand Mikkelsen. I understand him perfectly well, and English is not my first language (neither is Danish if that matters).
  • This shows downfall

While Mads Mikkelsen may be a great actor, he will inevitably be this shows downfall. His mumbling accent is just too hard for many people to follow. Too bad because its really a pretty good show overall. Personally, I didn't care for this one as much, but i can understand why some enjoyed it.
  • Very intense episode

I really liked this episode. It was very fascinating seeing into Hannibal's life of being a serial killer and cannibal. I enjoy his and Will's complex relationship. It seems like Will is beginning to suspect something about Hannibal. He's given Hannibal a few long looks. I noticed when Hannibal was in the ambulance saving that man, Will was giving him a really intense look and Hannibal actually looked up for a moment and met Will's gaze. It was really odd and I really want to know what they were both thinking.

I was happy to see Gillian Anderson playing Hannibal's psychiatrist. She is a great actress and I enjoyed her characters insights about Hannibal. They were spot on. Hannibal is a very interesting person. Whenever he is in a scene I am intently watching and listening to him because he is so fascinating. I do have to say I can't stand Dr. Bloom! I dislike her and Hannibal as a potential item and I think she is very unbelievable in her role. I just cannot see her as a seasoned psychiatrist/teacher/mentor/etc. Something about her character just annoys me. Sorry to anyone that likes her.

Overall, this was a terrific episode and definitely my favorite so far. I am really loving this show and it better get renewed!
  • Satisfying

This episode (or should I say, course) was brilliantly shot from start to finish. The cleverness of humor placement was entertaining- like when Will and Hannibal darkly joke about having an unconventional psychiatrist. The storyline was interesting and watching Hannibal in action (cooking humans) was also very intriguing. I now know to never give him my business cards. ;)

Best line was Hannibal's "You must all be warned- nothing here... is

Edit- sorry, but the last word there is vegetarian. For some reason I can't get it to show up.
  • Great!

The best episode ever! The black humour, the Hannibal working around. One of the best tv shows.

This tv show, makes Criminal Minds, CSI like kids tv shows!

Hope to see future seasons renewed!

• Hannibal.

Now its Jack that seems to be falling apart over Miriam Lass, she was working for him until she got to close to Hannibal as we saw last week. This patient that Hannibal is seeing is kinda weird, following him around & wants to be his friend, not surprised he's seeing a Psychiatrist. I'm not liking this relationship between Alana Bloom & Hannibal & there was no Chesapeake Ripper in this episode. I've heard of having people's business cards on a rollerdex, but not associated with a recipe card (Really Hannibal). I'm so glad i would never be invited to one of your Dinner's Hannibal because i am Vegetarian. Another Fantastic Episode, Thumbs Up.