Happy Days

All the Way

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Jan 15, 1974 on ABC

• Essential sweetness

This very first episode captures the essential sweetness of this show. It's sort of a cross between American Graffiti and Summer of 42, although we can also glimpse its Love American Style origins a bit in the premise and the pacing. We find that the Fonz' actual first spoken words were: "You played with her chest?" And we also see two classic bits from him back to back: the bra snap and the landmark refusal to comb his hair. Richie still has an older brother back then (the endlessly basketball-dribbling Chuck) and Joanie is already pretty getting tart-tongued. And of course their hairstyles are rather anachronistic (although I guess for the time period they must have seemed downright Sha Na Na-like). Also a bit out of joint is Mr C's willingness to discuss sex with his son. Interestingly, Howard comes off as a good deal more peripheral than he would later on in the show; here he's just the traditional middle-aged dad lamenting his nebbishy fate in the background. Btw this episode was co-written by Rob Reiner. A couple of clinker jokes, but for the most part it was good fun.
  • When Ritchie gets himself a date with the saucy Mary-Lou Milligan, he is very excited about his prospects.

Potsie (Anson Williams) is keen to help Richie (Ron Howard get a date with the Mary - Lou Milligan, (Kathy O 'Dare) a girl who has something of a reputation. Richie is very nervous but at the same time thrilled at the possibilities as he contemplates the date.

Naturally, as in all good shows set in the 1950s, nothing actually happens when Richie and Mary - Lou have their date but so that he doesn't lose face, Richie deliberately lets Fonzie (Henry Winkler), Ralph (Donny Most) and the others believe that he got a whole lot further than he actually did!

A very funny opening episode which sets the scene for eleven years of outstanding television entertainment. If you have never watched "Happy Days" before, now is the time to start!
  • When Potsie sets Richie up with a "wild date," Happy Days are eminent.

In the first episode of the breakthrough teen sitcom of the seventies, the fifties seem to be a good place. As we start out in Arnold's, referred to as "Arthur's" in the series' premier, we find that Potsie wants Richie to meet Mary Anne, a girl with a "reputation." When things don't get as far as Richie believes they will, hilarity ensues. The pilot episode of the series wasn't perfect, but it came close. The scene in which Richie meets Mary Anne to babysit is hilarious, as is the scene when Potsie tries in vain to teach Richie how to unsnap a bra. Of course, Fonzie, being Mr. Cool is able to remove it from the radiator with a smooth bang of the fist. Everyone should see this episode; I give it a hearty thumbs up, courtesy of the Fonz.