Happy Days

Fonzie's Blindness

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 1978 on ABC

4.5
  • The missing scene and what should have been done with this ep.

I am from the time the show ran on the network and remember how it originally aired. There was a scene when Fonzie and Richie first walked into the Cunningham house after leaving the doctor. After Fonzie jumps into the chair, they have dinner and during dinner, Fonzie is confident enough to help himself despite is lack of sight. Richie is holding a tray with meat on it. He offers to serve Fonzie,but Fonzie wants to do it himself and winds up jamming his fork in Richie's hand.Fonzie thinks he hit a bone in the meat. Richie restrains himself from yelling in pain and verbally guides Fonzie's fork out of his hand. The next time in that scene we see Richie serving Fonzie wearing oven mitts. This is a very funny scene that i think should be included again and especially if it ever gets released on DVD. Also, they ended the episode too quickly. I would have like to have seen Fonzie's plight carry over several episodes. For instance, the only time you see Fonzie with a white cane, he could already see. I would have like to see him getting around Arnold's with the cane, learning how to read braille and do everyday chores,interacting with his girls and friends and seen how his friends dealt with Fonzie's situation. There were so many possibilities for this episode. Henry Winkler is such a excellent actor he could have pulled it off without a problem and prove that Fonzie wasn't as superhuman as he thought, but a regular person with normal feelings,sensitivity and fears. That being said,it was my favorite episode and wish they could have explored it more. I guess I'll just have to write it down for Fanfiction if I want to see it happen.