Happy Days

Fonzie's New Friend

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 25, 1975 on ABC

• The Fonz has struck up a friendship with Sticks Downey, a new youth in the area, and has secured him to play drums with the band at Richie's upcoming Hawaiian luau party. But prejudices appear from many of the locals when Sticks turns out to be black...

After the (in my opinion) weaker than usual previous episode, 'Three On A Porch', things are back on form here with this really good story.

This is the second of a number of racial-themed episodes of the series (the first being the late first season entry 'The Best Man'), and as usual with the series, it is delt with well without being over heavy. It also shows that even some of the series regulars, who we have come to know as good people, may have some prejudices without even realising it.

John-Anthony Bailey (who I understand appeared in the black 1970s comedy 'Good Times', which I don't think made it to here in the UK) is great as Sticky Downey. I would really have liked to see the character become a semi-regular. He did actually appear once again (which itself is unusual) in a few episodes time in 'Fonzie the Superstar', but was never used again beyond that, which is a shame.