Happy Days

The Howdy Doody Show

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 18, 1975 on ABC

7.7
  • Joannie makes it possible for Richie to get an interview with Howdy Doody for his school paper.

When Joannie is chosen to appear on television to present the very popular 1950s character, Howdy Doody, with the 'Chipmunk of the Year'award, Richie is thrilled because it means he will be able to get the interview he wants with the character and with Bob Smith for the Jefferson High school paper.

Unfortunately for Richie, although he manages to get the interview and some photos by being just a little bit sneaky, he has a major decision to make when Life Magazine offers him a large sum of money to sell them his one-of-a-kind photograph of Clarabelle the Clown without makeup.

This episode cleverly highlights the moral dilemmas we must all face from time to time, and how much more difficult it is to make the right decision when money is involved.
  • Richie enters a Howdy Doody look-alike contest in order to get backstage & get a picture of Claribell without his makeup for his school newspaper.

One of my favorite episodes ! The black kid in the Howdy Doody look-alike contest who had white freckles was the best ! And to top it off, he won THE CONTEST !!! I also loved how Richie got so upset that he didn't win. I thought it was a great way to show a part of 50's nostalgia (Howdy Doody) - and incorporate it into the plot. It really shows Richie at his most innocent way - especially when you can see how deep down he actually did want to win the contest. He actually complains about the fact that the winner was allowed to do the Howdy Doody puppet motions !!!
WZME