Happy Days

They Call It Potsie Love

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Dec 02, 1975 on ABC

• Joannie develops her first major crush in this terrific episode and the recipient of her affection is none other than - Potsie!

From the beginning of this third series, the character of Joannie Cunningham, very skillfully played by Erin Moran, is noticeably turning from a child into a young woman and the writers acknowledge that fact in this episode when Joannie develops a major crush on a clueless Potsie.

The one-sided romance begins when Potsie sings a song to her at Arnolds and she is convinced that he shares her feelings which means that she starts sending anonymous love notes. For his part, Potsie is intrigued by the unknown identity of his admirer and keeps wondering aloud who she might be? Finally, when the two arrange to meet and Potsie realises that his admirer is his best friend's little sister, he has to let her down very gently.

A really good episode that makes us all remember what it's like to have a crush on someone who doesn't know we exist. Great acting by Anson Williams and Erin Moran too, they both show a lot of skill in this episode.
  • After he sings her a song at Arnold's, Joanie develops a huge crush on Potsie, and starts writing him anonymous love letters. But as always, the course of love never runs smoothly, in this excellent episode...

This is one of my favourite episodes of the series. I really like it in that it focuses on Joanie for once (the first real time in the series).

From the 'ugly duckling' little girl who was always being sent upstairs in the earliest episodes, she has developed into the likeable teenager we see here. Erin Moran plays the part perfectly, and I would rank this as one of her best episodes.

The climatic scene at Arnold's, where Potsie awaits the arrival of his anonymous admirer, is really well played, and shows that even away from the series leads there can be some excellent stories.

One of the best.