Happy Days

Welcome Home (2)

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 01, 1983 on ABC

5.1
  • The episode for everyone who has a dream

As I stated in my review for part one this episode takes us back to when the series and the audience were young and care free. However everyone grows up. Now that Richie is back from the Army everone from his parents to the Fonze all want him and Lori Beth to settle in Milwaukee but Richie has a dream of moving to Hollywood and becoming a screen writer. After being talked out of it Richie takes a job for the Milwaukee Journal and begins brooding until his emotions get the better of him causig him to punch out Fonzie at a bar. After a heart-to-heart with Fonzie Richie decides to follow his dream and discovers that many others wished they had the courage to follow their own dreams. What made this episode real to me is that I understand the tightrope walk between fullfilling your dreams and fullfilling your obligations. If your dreams point to a career with uncertain stablity such as Richie's dream to be a screen writer the pressure to settle for something more secure is great and many people have done just that. What makes me cheer is that even though Richie could have just settled he had the guts to say I'm going to do this because it is my dream and I have to try it.