Happy Town

ABC (ended 2010)

TesserT

Happy Town Fan Reviews (13)

• I thought this show was gonna be similar to Harper's Island when it started, but went downhill.

I saw the first episode when it first aired and when the sheriff said "Blood has been spilled again". I thought this is gonna be a great murder mystery show where people get offed one by one. But was disappointed when I saw the ratings continue to decline and ABC just cancelled the series altogether. Harper's Island had everything, a killer who stalks his prey and I loved the was people died in each episode. Good cast for Happy Town, but a bad show for the network.
  • More than a good start

I just watched second episode and it is great as the first one.
    Finally a great mystery show,small town with a dark past that most of people wants to put behind them,a new murder,new resident with secret agenda,it is so Steven King for me.
    Great cast in which Sam Neil is superstar and his character is so mysterious in the beginning of the show that just makes you to watch more to reveal the identity of Magic Man.
    Great beginning,hope they will continue the same way.

11 11 111 11 11 111 00 0 011 001 0110 1011 0101 0101 01
    11 1010101 0 01 0 01
  • Nice little summer show which is what I've learned to classify shows like this since they never come back after a summer.

Nice little summer show which is what I've learned to classify shows like this since they never come back after a summer. The show was doing a good job of being this generations twin peaks. After a slow start the stories were beautifully complex adding mystery upon mystery each week. The characters were great veterans of small big screen. The story gave wonderful creep factor to my summer programming and the show did it's job of making me want more. Sad we didn't get a resolution to it all but I'd still relive the sadly short lived first season on dvd if given the chance.
  • Happy Town has a great cast, but I have doubts about the writing.

It's only been three episodes, so there's time for Happy town to grow on me. They have a great cast so I'll keep watching for a while. But they need to get on with the story or I'm out. It's one of my main pet peeves to watch a show every week and never get anywhere with the main plot. That's as bad as two characters who circle a romance and never go for it, or a cast of characters that switch sex partners every week. It reflects a shallow and immature view of the world. If it's a side plot and the weekly main plot gets closure every week then that's alright. But a continuous main plot that never goes anywhere, and every revelation just leads to more questions is just childish. That kind of writing is just narcissism. The writer is just teasing and screwing around with the audience like a cat with a mouse. And sooner rather than later, we'll all just walk away.
  • Although Happy Town has an ensemble of talented actors and actresses it is no Harper's Island.

5.5
    When I watched the first episode, i failed to see the appeal that they tried to show. Murder? The Magic Man? New people in town. Hero cop on the rise. Then they totally ruined it for me with the second episode revealing that it wasn't the magic man that killed the guy, it was some fat pizza place owner. A blue room that an old lady guarded with astonishingly annoying way. Not allowed in the third floor? unless you were the devil, that sentence is just useless and downright stupid. I know, I know, it has just been two episodes, I hope it gets better because I like the cast. But for now, the story I give it a 2 but because of the cast I rate this show mediocre at best... FOR NOW.
  • At first i thought this was one of those BORING SHOWS but i have to say so far this year this is the most superb TV SERIES I've watched ...This show is ***** 5 STAR _ You cant miss this one ]

At first i thought this was one of those BORING SHOWS but i have to say so far this year this is the most superb TV SERIES I've watched ...The writing, sound effects, story life & video editing is absolutely great. The suspense, humor, the cast - mAn the show is ***** 5 STAR _ You cant miss this one ]What, ? ? ? They canceled it. that's so hussssssssh ! ! This 1 i will watch over and over... The show is about a small town called HAPPY TOWN which 'ironically' is a mysteriously bad town where people disappear & get killed. Lots of dramas going on at the police station as well as in different families.
  • Too Bad it's already gone.

I liked this show, but probably it never had a chance, I honestly don't think this is the best time of the year to launch a new show: it's too late in the season, everyone is accustomed to his/her own weekcly routine ( and the fact that the show is bit off the usual cop-medical-law show didn't help). I've seen thrown around some comparison with twin peaks, sorry I've never seen that show, so I cannot tell. I liked the characters and I was really looking forward to the mistery surrounding Haplin and the Mistery man, but It was not meant to be (I've stopped watching after seeing the ratings, I don't want to get burned again like many times before).
  • i love happy town why did you have to cancel it?

please bring back happy town it had its cheesy parts but what television show doesn't please don't cancel it i hate reruns. was waiting 2 wks for the new episode and come home to find out it was cancelled which so sucks.. thanks alot ABC .. Bring IT BACK!!!
  • My family LOVES this show!!!! We can't wait for Wed. nights. Keep the episodes coming!!!!!

On the first episode of Happy Town we were automatically hooked. Happy Town has a great story line and a great cast. After every episode it always keeps us thinking and talking about it after the show and days later. After watching tonight's episode, it left us excited and anxious for next weeks episode, (which by the preview of it looks like it's going to be awesome!!) We heard rumours that Happy Town might get cancelled, hopefully that's JUST a rumour because if Happy Town went off the air my family and I would be very upset because it's the one show that we all can't wait to see. We really enjoy Happy Town and we all hope that the episodes will keep on coming!!!
  • Wactch this GREAT show!

I really love this show, it got good characters and has alot of mystery that want pepole to see more.

Pepole that have giving this show bad review are just stupid and have no taste about whats good or not.

I really hope you pepole give this show a chance becuase it great and i want to know who the magic man is.

Who do you think is the magic man ?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
  • Happy Town is stunningly awful. It is pure tripe. I'm betting it won't last 6 episodes - and believe me, I'm being kind - because one episode was too many.

Can you spell "derivative", boys and girls? Happy Town - isn't. It's neither happy nor a town. It's Eureka without the humor. It's Twin Peaks without the plot. It's Sodom without Gomorrah. In short - it's just plain AWFUL. It is boring. It is pointless. It borrows from better shows with abysmal results - they can't even CHEAT to make a point. Not even Sam Neill can save this turkey. I don't CARE about the people. I don't CARE about what's happening. To put it bluntly, there's nothing to care about. The producers of this tripe should just bury it fast and move on. Please don't waste your time watching this, people. If you decide to ignore my advice, remember - you were warned.
  • Happy Town hopes to take the torch from such shows as Twin Peaks.

The other day I was delighted to receive a parcel from the lovely American burgh of Haplin, Minnesota. In it, I found a snow globe, a mug, a candle and several other assorted goodies including some dough from the Daily Bread bakery. Haplin seems like a very charming place, so charming that some call it as Happy Town.

But all is not well in Haplin. Up until five years ago, people were vanishing without a trace on an annual basis. It's a long festering wound in the community that the sherriff (the surprisingly philosophical MC Gainey) has spent his career trying to bury. Someone they'd dubbed the "Magic Man" had kept this small town holding their collective breath in dread at his preternatual ability to make people disappear without a trace.

With a new murder on the books, the first in five years, why the heck would I want to visit, no matter how nice the care package? Well, for one it's airing on ABC in the States and on /A\ here in Canada starting next week, and it hopes to carry on in a Twin Peaks-ish/American Gothic-y tradition, examining the dark secrets of what tries to pass itself off as an idyllic little town. It vaguely reminds me of the seemingly perfect village from American Gods if that rings a bell for anyone.

The pilot establishes a number of interesting characters, including Sam Neill as Merritt Grieves who plays an eerily charming foreign gentleman and proprietor of a cinematic memorabilia shop seemingly in the spirit of Needful Things, there's also what appears to be the early sign of a coven of witches who reside at the local B&B. The other characters, with their own assorted subplots, are played by talented array of characters from a number of familiar places, including the "lead" (if there is one) Geoff Stults as "TC" Tommy Conroy, the sherriff's son, recently seen in She's Out of my League as "Foot Long" Cam, the ex-boyfriend.

The show is very well shot - Port Hope, Ontario has never looked so good - and makes great use of music to set the mood, but it remains to be seen whether it can play "the long game" with its running mysteries, especially if the network is promising to answer a number of questions early in contrast to audience frustration with Lost.
  • Is this show going to be one that we want to keep watching each week..

After watching this show advertise for weeks I was syked to see what it would bring! Not wanting to miss a minute, I was curled up on the sofa with a bag of popcorn and ready to watch! The first 20-30 minutes I found myself thinking that I wasn't going to continue to watch til the end, but I guess that had a lot to do with the storyline trying to begin. I wish that they would have added a little more information about what happened before, maybe that is to come. Although, by the end I was really interested to see what it will bring. What will be the twists that will come in the future as we all try to figure out, who is the "Magic Man"? The town has been happy for 7 years up until now. With a new murder and anouther on it's way, what will the future hold for this small town?