Hardball with Chris Matthews

Sunday 9:00 AM on CNBC Premiered Jan 14, 1999 In Season

Hardball with Chris Matthews Fan Reviews (37)

5.5
  • Chris has "Presidential" ego!

Love the guest and their ideas. It's too bad Chris won't let them speak to get their ideas out. I'm not sure he understands the concept of how guest really help to draw the viewers in and make it a more interesting show. Chris, God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason. Now use them and your ratings will go up.
  • Tired of Chris RUDELY TALKING OVER ALL HIS GUESTS & NEVER LETS GUESTS SPEAK!

CHRIS MATTHEWS IS HORRIBLE! HE HAS TO GO!

I cannot stomach one more minute of Chris Matthews. He's obnoxious and rude.

Why bother having guests?

He talks over his guests; he asks them questions & as soon as they begin to speak he starts talking right over them.

I absolutely love all of your other shows. It's just CHRIS MATTHEWS that is becoming intolerable.

I am an MSNBC DEVOTEE. I watch your channel from morning to night lately with all the political issues since Trump taking office.

I LOVE, LOVE Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell (ONE OF MY FAVORITES), Chris Hayes, Brian Williams is doing great job rebuilding his career. Andrea Mitchell is wonderful.

But CHRIS MATTHEWS HAS GOT TO GO!!! I literally turn the TV MSNBC OFF ONCE HIS SHOW STARTS.

• Motormouth!!

Mr. Matthews does not need guests he asks and then answers. The interruptions are getting ridiculous. As of today one less show I will watching!

• Chris Matthews - smart, experienced and well spoken BUT

I absolutely can't understand how MSNBC has let him get away with the rudeness that appears in every show - interrupting others. Not the normal steering of conversations or moving others along in the interest of time, he interrupts and cuts in. Constantly. I have an idea, place a RUDE JAR on his desk in full view of the cameras. Someone can ring a bell every time he sins and he has to put a buck in the jar. The final contents, which will probably be substantial, can be donated to charity. Perhaps Interrupters Anonymous?

As it is, I am becoming so annoyed by him that even CNN's Erin Burnett to be an appealing alternative.
  • Normalizing Trump

There is an effort in the show to normalize Trump. Kellyanne goes on lies, and lies with no push back from Chris. All news are viewed through the "Trump supporter" lense. Today, Chris seemed to justify the Muslim ban as an attempt to "protect us", then there is the "why aren't we pushing our kids to become engineers" argument to keep immigrants from coming in with H1 visas. Well, for whatever reason, maybe because it's hard work and requires dedication, we're not producing enough engineers and doctors, the need is there, and there is no reason to denigrate those who have put in the hard work and dedication. In any case I'm tired of the normalizing Trump effort. Just tell it like it is Chris.
  • Talking over guests

As others noted. I cant stand the talking over and interruptions. Distractive. Unprofessional. Arrogant.

Morning Joe has same problem.

Watched MSNBC all day and night for the entire campaign. Annoying style .turnoff BIGLY

• Interrupter

I had to turn off Hardball after 5 minutes. I couldn't stand Chris Matthews interrupting and talking over his female guests. I imagine they're used to it because they didn't seem bothered. But I really wanted to hear what they had to say, not Matthews.
  • Constructive feedback

I think very highly of Chris Matthews and have great regard for his experience, but I do wish he would give people more space to talk. Too often he talks over his guests, especially women. Perhaps not having so many people on at a time. Or just asking a question and listening. Tired of his impatience and dismissiveness.
  • I turn the channel

Chris Matthews show is all about his firm opinions and he screams throughout his show. If there's a guest that does not join in his diatribe, he cuts them off. I can't stand to listen to him talk let alone care about what he has to say, which is always full of extreme negativity, he's always mad and yelling. I turn the channel and watch anything else.
  • No Impulse Control

3.5
    There's little doubt that Chris Matthews is passionate about politics and a devoted student of history; however, his show is unwatchable because he appears to be unable to contain himself both when interviewing guests and while having discussions with his panelists. He seems to think that telling his guests that they are "the best" or "the greatest" makes up for his rudeness and disrespect. It's a shame because if Matthews were able to contain himself long enough to actually let his guests have their say, the show would be greatly improved.
  • Chris Matthews has got to GO

1.5
    What is happening at MSNBC - turncoat - personified most pronounced with Chris Matthews. Too much air time for Kellyanne Conway with no real challenge. Talks about a pardon for Hillary - for gods sake why does she need a pardon, excuse me from what. Was she convicted of some crime - my blood boils as I type this. Chris featured the Pence/Hamilton event instead of the Hail/Heil Trump in the meeting documented by Atlantic Review. And then Chris tells us we should build a Railroad as they have in Europe - compare the square mileage of US with Europe. What we need is infrastructure. Chris also did not know how to pay for the RR, infrastructure could be paid for by bringing corporations back to US and requiring companies pay their taxes. It is time for Chris TO GO. Please I am leaving MSNBC, if Chris remains.
  • Hillary does NOT need to be pardoned--has been proven over and over

Why in the world did you waste valuable interview time with Kellyanne Conway on this topic? Why in the world do you keep bringing up Hillary;s emails when Donald Trump is a proven fraud, is naming neo natzi's to positions, and on and on? Conway is Trump;s top liar in chief and you make footsie with her because you happen to have known her a long time?

Are you losing it? What in the hell is going on? You are a member of the 4th estate and we are all about to lose our rights big time and you waste your time on this crap--all the while from an incorrect premise?

Holy crap, you are becoming an apologist for Trump. Do you not realize that? Well, at least Kellyanne was happy with you. Good job,
  • Hardball with Chris Mathews

I think Chris is facing difficulties hosting republicans as they are scared of falling into Chris's trap, remember that congresswoman and Trump on abortion.
  • the trump report

this show has became the trump show, they brag that trump has spent $0 on adds but they forget that they give billions in free adds. I think that chris is a big supporter of trump
  • What's up with Chris

He used to be a pretty good commentor until Trump came alone. Chris's show might as will be called Hardball the Reality Show. I learned that Chris will do any thing for ratings. The back and forth he had with Andrew Sullivan was disgraceful. He tried to shut him up but Andrew wasn't having it. I thought Chris had more dignity but it looks like I was wrong. Too bad. I stopped watching. Really nothing to see!!!

• Chris Matthews just drives me crazy.

I taped the Donald Trump interview even though I knew C Matthews was going to moderate. My hope was that Matthews would ask a question and just perhaps let Trump answer without interrupting or badgering. My other hope was perhaps Mr Trump could shut him down at least so I could hear and understand what the "candidate", not the interviewer, was saying. To no avail. Matthews perhaps hit a new low with his interrupting and badgering. I could only last for five minutes and then I switched to CNN for a recap. How sad! The level of discourse on national television has sunk so low. Do we really need Matthews and his type on television? I am switching the channel.
  • Not watching anymore!!

1.5
    Chris was to have Richard Engel on one night. I looked forward to it, and when Chris interrupted him, I finally quit.

My husband watches Chris every night, and even HE has turned him off in disgust. WHY doesn't he let anyone speak?? Like someone said, DON'T have guests if you are not going to let them speak.

Started off the new year, he wasn't interrupting as much, thought maybe someone finally told him. BUT NO! It didn't take long. It's bad enough the commercials are too many (we record so we can FF through).

I'm not planning on watching anymore, I don't know about the husband.. Love Rachel, and the others. Sorry Chris. It's a shame because he doesn't come off as an egotist like Bill O' or Limbaugh, or Beck. He seems like a nice, knowledgeable man.

Please, someone tell him to stop interrupting before he loses his show??
  • What a disappointment!!!

My husband and I have been ardent followers of Chris for many, many years, but no more. He has such a biased opinion of the Democratic Running Mates, we are astonished! He not only has a very biased opinion of who he wants to win, but he continually attempts to push his opinion on those he is interviewing on his show.

NO MORE!
  • Calm down

4.5
    The MSNBC election cover was great. Who were you angry with. Hard to watch you
  • Trump free time.

Why do you air all Trumps campaign speeches, You don't air anyone else. No wonder he doesn't have to spend money. You do it for free, maybe time to switch channels.

• learn more by listening, Chris

Your audience will learn more if you listen, Chris. I hate it when you ask a good question and your guest is giving a great answer but just as they are about to finish, you interrupt. You come off as a know it all and if the intent of your show is to inform your audience, I'm sorry to tell you that you fail in this endeavor. It gets so bad that soon everyone is talking at the same time and I switch channels to a saner show. You could learn a lot from Rachel, Chris and Lawrence. Although their topics may not differ a whole lot from yours, I come away from their shows feeling more peaceful and knowledgeable. You are a smart man, no doubt, but maybe you have a big ego. Sometimes egos get in the way. Just give your guests a chance to answer these questions, please. They must know something or you wouldn't have them on the show. Otherwise, forget guests and do all the talking yourself since that might be more to your liking anyway.
  • Shut Up!

Chris doesn't give anyone else the chance to talk, he interrupts all the time and it gets annoying. MSNBC needs to revamp all the news shows...
  • Matthews- Gingrich car bomber

If Gingrich looks like a car bomber, if you look at your online booking reports, you will see that Matthews looks like most rapes or child abusers, I hope I didn't belittle them comparing them to Matthews of Hardball.
  • Loud mouthed butt head!

Chris Mathews is a loud-mouthed butt head! He has his own version of American political history that he shoves down the throats of his guests and dwindling amount of viewers. That's one of several reasons why I couldn't stand watching MSNBC anymore.
  • Top political show

A little left of center, where my views are. Chris has a great knowledge of political history and can set the record straight. Also has a good sence of the political outcome with what is going on today.
  • No need to ask Why!

No need to ask Why!

When we go executing folks from the sky, be it in Afghanistan, Pakistan or

elsewhere, many innocent people get killed.

What kind of consoling do they receive? Who establishes a "Fund" for their

reparations? How does the the orphan, widow or family impacted receives

Justice? Are you suggesting because of where they live they have no right to justice?

So please the next time shit happens don't sit in front of your TV and

say oh why! Or as some degenerate senators may proclaim "They don't like our

way of Life". Jerks!

In my view these victims were all reasonably content - while they were still

alive. It is US foreign policy, who's attempts to control the outcome of other folks nations,

that farm raises new radicals. Is there anybody reading this not getting it?

All peoples of this planet have inalienable rights to the pursuit of freedom and happiness

this is not just an American idea but a universal right.

The loss of human life due to violent acts of another must end, now!

Just maybe if we stop, they stop.

War, any right wing politician can testify, is good for business! Who else would finance their election campaigns, but the arms manufacturing industry. Get it through your thick head!

Re-wash your brain from all the propaganda you hearing and look into it yourself. - HE

• Social Security Chained CPI

I think I just heard you say that the reduction in Social Security benefits for the elderly amounts to nothing if Chained CPI goes through. Well, I am 74 years old and live off of Social Security. I got a raise this year, the first in two years, of only $33.00. That raises my monthly check to $2022. Try to live off that, not to mention part of that being taken away. You probably spend that much on a night out for dinner. Well, I can't even afford to go out to dinner. My Medicare payments are taken off the top. I never see that and it's over $110/month, so all I saw was an increase of . How dare you spout off that a reduction in our benefits is nothing. When you start off with little, taking anything away is devastating. So, if you don't know what you are talking about, you should not open your mouth.
  • Only plays hardball with conservatives

5.5
    This DNC mouthpiece only throws softballs to constantly berates anyone who does not toe his "liberal only in America" theroy.
  • Why does he invite guests?

Chris Matthews is the most annoying host on MSNBC. He invites guests, asks questions and then talk all over them giving his answers to his questions! Why do people bother to come on his show? Are they suckers for punishment? As soon as he comes on, I change the channel. So friggin annoying.
  • highly disappointed with Chris Matthew

I had a high opinion of Tip O'Neill, and had a good opinion of Chris Matthews through the 2008 election. But now, forget it. He's gone very, very hard left. He needs to keep his job at MSNBC, so maybe that's why he's repeating the nonsense that other media talking heads are saying. But, Chris really knows better. It was distressing to see him so upset after the first presential debate when his man, Obama, tanked so badly.