Harper's Island Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

Episodes 1X12-13: Gasp/Sigh (spoilers)

buffyangel4evr_

[1]Jul 11, 2009
    • level: 20

Hey Harper's Island fanatics! I thought it might be easier to discuss the entire 2 hour season/series finale in one thread. if you feel the same join me.

Episodes 1X12-13: Gasp/Sigh. From TVGuide- "John Wakefield continues his murderous rampage on the island, as the survivors attempt to find and kill him before he wipes them all out./The mystery is solved as the series concludes."

Edited on 07/11/2009 9:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dool_girl

[2]Jul 11, 2009
    • level: 27
    THANKS! I was just debating whether or not to write all my thots in Gasp or Sigh lol!

mcwilly104

[3]Jul 11, 2009
    • level: 12
    Can someone explain to me why everyone had to die? I'm a little dissapointed, not gonna lie

buffyangel4evr_

[4]Jul 11, 2009
    Hey Amanda. Great to see ya! It was so worth the wait.

buffyangel4evr_

[5]Jul 11, 2009

mcwilly104 wrote:
    Can someone explain to me why everyone had to die? I'm a little dissapointed, not gonna lie

I'm guessing because Henry's completely loony.

mcwilly104

[6]Jul 11, 2009
    • level: 12
    The end was pretty cool, but it just didn't seem to be in step with the show before this episode. I feel like the intense, whodunit atomosphere up until the last episode was a completely different tone than Gasp/Sigh and that it was a bt of a let down. I guess I'm just sad that there wasn't more closure, but the finale wasn't bad.

dool_girl

[7]Jul 11, 2009

Okay wow! I don't even know where to start as so much happened in the 2-hours.

I must say I was pretty PO'd at the end of hour one, mainly because I could not believe that Henry would actually kill Trish! And I as sooo mad that Wakefield escaped from jail! Someone should have been sitting in there watching him...heck I would have if I were there! But anyways back to henry killing trish...I mean I really, really thought he loved her. I knew that Jimmy or Henry would end up being the accomplise and I'm glad it was Henry instead of Jimmy, but still I'm supposed to believe Henry would actually kill Trish when the whole show was based around their wedding! so ya I wasn't the happiest viewer in the world when that happened.

And then Sully dying was so sad too. Sully really did a lot of growing up and again I had such a hard time believing Henry this nice, likeable guy would kill his 'best friend since junior high.' Poor Sully he stayed on the island for henry and it ended up getting him killed.

So okay someone will have to confirm this for me...Did abby's mom know all along that Heny was her and Wakefield's kid? I mean HONESTLY! How could she live with that seeing him and her daughter sitting there hanging out...what mother would actually willingly put themself through that. If she was going to put their kid up for adoption why not give him to a family on the EAST COAST that has no chance of ever becoming friends with Abby! That was a little hard for me to believe. And I know I read in another forum that someone was wondering the age difference between Abby and Henry...if anything I thought young Abby looked OLDER then young henry!

Madison annoyed me, but I guess I'm happy her and Shea were able to get off the island.

I must say I was pretty darn shocked when Henry stabbed Wakefield in the heart...I mean seriously they just went through all those killings just for Henry to kill his dad...Hah I bet Wakefield was PO'd!

Now came the creepo part...Henry was IN LOVE with his sister, or at least that is the impression I got. Ewe! I couldn't believe how seriously he took the whole "I wish we could live on this island in this house all by ourselves" that young abby said. That seemed to literally be his motive. Wow. I didnt think Jimmy was dead. My friend was positive he was, but I had seen in the preview that Jimmy was alive and tied up at some point. I just couldnt understand why he let Jimmy live until Henry said that it was for him to confess. The whole Abby giving jimmy that whatever it was to help him unlock the handcuffs through the kiss was pretty smooth. The whole time I was just screaming at the tv "GO JIMMY!"

But okay did anyone else find this last scene weird...I mean I thought that Jimmy tackled henry into like a hole in the ground...but then suddenly abby is running to a passed out Jimmy and Henry is no where around? It was weird to me. Either way Abby stabbing Henry was a well I dont even have a word for it. Part of me wanted to cry my eyes out because I really liked Henry all throughout the season and I mean he did all this for abby just for her to kill him...but he got what was comming. He really didnt have that bad of life! Like his life would have been ANY BETTER with Wakefield raising him? I mean look out how messed up he turned out with a 'normal' family...imagine how messed up he would have been actually raised by Wakefield.

So I'm very happy that Jimmy and Abby survived. I loved Jimmy, and quite frankly I suspected him from like episode 5 or 6? I dont remember, but once the whole Abby's dad having a file on him came out I was sure it wouldnt be him. So I wasn't too shocked it was Henry, but I was soo shocked by his actions. All his friends and Trish really loved him. And Uncle Marty was going to help Malcolm out Poor guy...

Still lots of unanswered questions, like cousin Ben? Which one killed Kelly? And when the heck did henry have time to stab Katherine! And what was with the dead deer in Henry and Trish's bathtub and the broken China?

I'm sure there are tons more questions I have, but I am planning on re-watching the whole series now that it ends and hopefully ill find more answers.

Overall I am satisfied with the ending. I would have liked to of seen Sully and Trish survive (and cal and chloe of course, but they atleast died together) But atleast one of my favorite couples survived!

I must say I am very sad the series is over But i cant wait to buy the boxed set!

I'm anxious to read everyone else's thoughts!

dool_girl

[8]Jul 11, 2009
    O and one more thing...WHY THE HECK didn't JD tell Abby that Henry killed him!

kikimarie593

[9]Jul 11, 2009
    I feel bad for saying/thinking this, but I was rooting for Henry after I found out he was the killer. I just like him too much. I was disappointed that Sully died though because he was another one of my favorites. But anyways I thought the episodes were really good, but they seemed to drag on a little bit. But I love this show soo much that I think I might rewatch the whole thing.

kikimarie593

[10]Jul 11, 2009
    dool_girl wrote:

I was wondering the same thing...

buffyangel4evr_

[11]Jul 11, 2009

kikimarie593 wrote:
    dool_girl wrote:
    I was wondering the same thing...

I think he was about to but notied henry coming out of the shadows behind Abby.

buffyangel4evr_

[12]Jul 11, 2009

So anyway, after the last episode, I was leaning a bit towards Henry as being the accomplise. I made my decision to put my bet on him about a week ago.

I really wasn't expecting Henry revealing himself when he did, but I can see why it happened that way. I kinda missed about 10 minutes in the first half hour, darn storms and satellite problems. My hubby filled me in a bit, weird, the upstairs receivers had a good signal. Henry had the key to the jail cell (right?) and Wakefield got out. I knew right away that Henry slipped him the key. Danny was so brave. He sacrificed himslf to save Shea and (creepy) Madison.

Oh, can someone tell me what happened from the point Danny and Sully were in the jail w/Wakefield and when Jimmy arrived to tell everyone Trish fell off the cliff? That's the part I'm missing due to stupid satellite issues. I knew Trish was wearing her wedding dress. One problem though, a continuity issue, the dress is different. Henry killing Trish was a bit of a shocker. I was kind of leaning towards Wakefield killing her while Henry watched.

I know a couple of people were disappointed with the reveal of Wakefield so early on, but I enjoyed the change of pace. To me the feeling was, here I am, look out!

I was on the edge of my seat wondering when Henry would kill Sully. And Sully sacrificing his own safety, and sealing his fate, to get Shea and Madison off the island, awwww. That made his death even more emotional for me.

I had that feeling that Charlie ws keeping an eye on Jimmy so he wouldn't get into any more trouble. I've become such a Jimmy fan through out the series. I didn't care for him initially. I thought he was a little creepy.

How come Abby didn't put the little clues together? I guess she was so stressed that she didn't piece it all together until it was staring her in the face. Henry killing his dad. Wow, he's so much loonier than dear old dad. Wakefield was in complete shock to say the least. His dear baby boy who he searched hgh and low for double crossed him for a girl.

Ewwwww. Henry wanted to be with Abby, his half sister. He knew they were brother and sister. ICK!

Holy crap! I did not expect Jimmy to be alive at all. My mouth hung open like I was catching flies. I was soooo glad to see him alive. The lil trick with Abby helping Jimmy escape, yipee! And Abby killing Henry with the sword, or whatever she called it, fitting of course.

I can't wait for the DVD box set to come out either. I will watch over and over.

Oh, @mcwilly104. They all didn't die, there were four survivors.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll remember more memorable points shortly. Looking forward to continuing the discussion with everyone.

SludgeVohaul

[13]Jul 11, 2009
    • level: 7
    It's hard for me to think positively when overall I enjoyed this mini-series for so long, but the last episodes were just too weird and out of character for me to fully enjoy them. But I still think the tense seens were very well done, and some of the dramatic/articistic scenes were very well done regardless of how I felt about the storyline without a doubt.

I'm always one for a surprise, but I could've used a few more hints along the way that Henry was totally off his rocker. It was just too hard for me to suspend my disbelief that he was the happy go lucky guy getting married, leading the others into battle, and defending everyone, and then suddenly he just turns completely crazy in love with his half sister.

Too bad there can't be another installment. I think shows like this have great potential, but the writing could have been much better throughout, and if it had been, then maybe more people would have watched.

I'm still glad Harper's Island got its full run at least even though it was banished to Saturday nights.

TVwatcher1119

[14]Jul 11, 2009
    • level: 1

Where do I begin?? Gosh! This whole series was absolutely crazy and I loved every second of it! Well... I'm gunna be honest. On the first episode I was having a few second thoughts about the show. I just thought all of it was too lovey dovey compared to how it was protrayed. But then I kept watching and I got totally hooked... alright... now I have to vent about everything that happened in these episodes.

First... WHY DID HE HAVE TO KILL TRISH AND SULLY??? After getting to know both of them so well I for real was soo sad! It sucks so bad that they had to know before they died that their fiance/best friend is the reason for making their life hell. I was watching it with all the lights off and Im so glad I did because I definitely teared up a little. lol. And I never thought he had the heart to kill Trish after spending so much with her. HE "LOVED" HER!!! oh well.

Second... Im sorry but that little Madison girl pissed me off. If anyone else was in such a tramatic situation you know youd imediately tell people what happened. She was eating a freaking poptart and was like "Oh yeahhh.... I totally forgot to tell you that there were two people.... ooops.... Was that important." I was talking to the screen like... Yea. It was kinda freaking important! ughh. Shes retarded.

Ummm... Sully was right and they shouldve killed Wakefield as soon as they had him like that. And whoever tied him up with a belt... for real!!! I knew he was gunna get out and as soon as he got it off it was kinda obvious he was gunna pick the lock with the belt buckle thing. Goshhh. I know it makes for good tv and all but come on.

When Wakefield broke out and Danny was fighting him off... Im sorry. I know Shea was trying to save Madison but just because your a girl doesnt mean you have to be all dainty. Like she couldve at least hit him on the head or something. But instead she was like AHHHHH. And ran away leaving him to die. Low blow if you ask me.

I thought the part with Abby giving Jimmy the picture hanger was crazy cool McGuiver material. I was just waiting for Jimmy to come and save her. And when Abby yelled "Well I dont want to be with you!!!" (or something like that) I was like Dayummm. Like she had a lot of nerve. I was so proud. lol.

Im so glad that Shea and Madison got of the island too. When Henry heard the dispatcher say that a small boat with two passengers were coming off the island I really thought Henry was some how gunna get them. Maybe sniper from far away or something. But Im glad they were safe. I dont really know how Henry couldve killed a little girl anways. He seemed like he was still a little bit of himself. And Im glad that Jimmy wasnt the murder. Even though I wish it wasnt Henry either Im glad that Abby and him could have a life. Plus if Jimmy was her half brother that wouldve just been creepy. I wish I saw it sooner. But like everybody else, Im gunna watch all the episodes again now that I know everything.

and... I know. Why didnt JD tell her Henry did it? If you have a couple last dying breaths why would you waste it by saying ITS YOU ABBY. ITS ALL ABOUT YOU. He just added even more to the puzzle.

TheShazz

[15]Jul 11, 2009

But what ever happened to the little white fluffy dog?!?!!?!

Last we saw, it was at the cabin with the sheriff and former deputy who was shot with arrows...then the house went up in flames.

If we are to believe that the dog was killed in the fire, I'd actually be more sad about that loss than any of the wedding guests?!?!?!?!

I thought we'd see it again for sure in the finale......

Oh, and I predicted Henry weeks ago. Sad for Abby that she had to kill him, but at least she has Jimmy. (Now, if only they had the dog!!!!!!!)

***waving****hiya 'Angel' -wink wink- Nice to see you in these here parts

Edited on 07/11/2009 9:26pm

TVwatcher1119

[16]Jul 11, 2009
    Oh and woops about the belt buckle thing. I couldve sworn thats what happened. lol.

buffyangel4evr_

[17]Jul 11, 2009

Shazzie!!!! Hi sweetie! Glad to see ya! *waves*

Leave it to you to remember Lucy's dog. I recall she(?) ran out of Cole Harkin's cabin just as it caught fire. She's probably roaming the island somewhere. maybe she found a boyfriend.

Oh, I'm so glad Jimmy survived and he and Abby are together. That was my one wish for the ending.

dool_girl

[18]Jul 11, 2009

SludgeVohaul wrote:
    I'm always one for a surprise, but I could've used a few more hints along the way that Henry was totally off his rocker. It was just too hard for me to suspend my disbelief that he was the happy go lucky guy getting married, leading the others into battle, and defending everyone, and then suddenly he just turns completely crazy in love with his half sister.

OMG I KNOW! The only real hint I can think of that we had at all that Nice, LIKEABLE Henry was actually this sicko, creep was him being found with blood all over his hands with JD right there. Thats it (or at least all I can think of).

But Ya I was shocked about the whole Trish/Sully thing. They didnt do anything to him except love him, and to me it seems thats what he was searching for was love. So were we to assume that Henry and Wakefield were responsible for his adopted parents death? Or is that still up in there.

And please dont tell me that I am the only one completely blown away by Abby and Henry's mom allowing them to become so close...when she knew! I just dont know why she would want to see that baby and why Henrys adopted parents would want him hanging around there so much!

I'm still stunned by everything. The creepy part is that there really are people out there like Henry, that seem like nice, normal, likeable people and actually have some sick creepy motive instead.

Wow! Sooo sad its all over.

buffyangel4evr_

[19]Jul 11, 2009

TVwatcher1119 wrote:
    Oh and woops about the belt buckle thing. I couldve sworn thats what happened. lol.

lol. My hubby came down and told me that someone had the key. I aksed if it was Henry and he said yeah it was. Ding ding ding, light bulb! My theory ws confirmed right then and there.

AprilKrauth

[20]Jul 11, 2009
    Because Henry was standing behind her and it would've blew the story right there. So disappointed in the ending....no answers!! Gasp/Sigh...great name....Sigh...that sucked LMAO