Harper's Island Forums

CBS (ended 2009)

What a dumb and senseless ending (spoilers)

kendahlj

[1]Jul 16, 2009
    • level: 5

First, read the review "Finale - Complete and utter garbage (spoilers)". That pretty much sums it up.

But the reviewer forgot one really crucial thing, IMO. The sheriff had to know who Henry was. They showed a scene where Abby and Henry were playing together as kids and Abby's mom gives the other mom that look. At least, it indicated she knew Henry was her son. And she knew Wakefield was the dad. She gave up the kid. For crying out loud, wouldn't Abby's dad know too?!? Come on...totally unbelievable that he never mentioned that in the entire series. Or that he didn't suspect Henry was involved in the killings?! Just an idiotic ending with little closure. Senseless...

Why did the writers come up with 12 great episodes and then cop out with an absolutely retarded ending?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MightyElroy

[2]Jul 16, 2009
    • level: 9

While I did not find the last 2 episodes as terrible as many, I was a bit disappointed. One of my biggest issues was that there were too many loose ends. Who killed who (I would have liked to have known that), why the Sherriff did not elude to Henry's lineage, and what happened to Lucy's little dog (OK, just kidding on that one). It would have been nice to see some flashbacks of Henry and/or Wakefield taking out the others.

My biggest problem with the ending is that there seemed to be almost nothing that led me to suspect Henry other than him having blood on his hands after JD died. It felt like the writers wanted us to suspect everyone else, then pull a big one on the viewers. While that may be a cool idea, it is very difficult to pull off successfully. The trick is to give us some subtle hints along the way, continue to dissuade us with red herrings (ala Jimmy and Sully), then reveal the killer to us so that we would all say "Of course! Why did I not see it before!". Some of the hints could have included things such as an awkward moment where Abby and Henry kiss/almost kiss, or having more back story on when they were kids, or even have JD and/or Sherriff Mills (or even Uncle Marty) say something that would lead us to wonder if Henry was adopted. There was no mystery to Henry, just "BAM" hey everyone, I'm a serial killer just like my real dad. What a letdown.

I did think that the deaths were well done and many were sympathetic and evoked feeling (Sully, Trish, Chloe, and Cal especially). I also liked that Henry did show some remorse over the deaths of Danny and Trish. Jimmy being kept alive was a plot device, and I was happy with the choice of survivors (I may be a bit old fashioned or a softy, but despite the trauma that Madisson endured, I would have really hated seeing a child murdered, no matter how creepy she was). At the end of the last episode, where they showed the video of everyone sending Henry and trish their best wishes, I just couldn't help but feel how pointless it all was. So many people butchered and for what? So a guy could live out his demented fairy-tale desire with his half-sister (although in all fairness to those who criticized that motive, you must admit that Henry felt that way long before he knew who his father and mother were, and when you are a serial killer, having sound moral judgement is definitely low on the priority list). When I saw the video, I just felt saddened (not in the way the producers probablly meant for us to feel) and thought that the show was pointless. I may or may not buy the DVD now.

aloyoon

[3]Jul 18, 2009
    • level: 7
    i only saw the first episode then stopped watching so my question now does this show has an actual ending or no

VeraFan

[4]Jul 19, 2009
    • level: 4
    Why is everyone so nit-picky?
    I enjoyed the show for what it was. I think the storyline was great, and the murders were kinda different than what you'd normally see.
    So what if there were flaws here and there? Lots of shows have them.

Henry DID say who he killed and how. He told Sully. That leaves Wakefield to do the rest.
    Edited on 07/19/2009 8:50am

thetruesora

[5]Jul 19, 2009
    • level: 22
    Since the topic creator said about reading that other topic shouldn't of this been posted in there? or if not this should be in the topic specifically for discussing episode 13.
    Edited on 07/19/2009 9:14am

MightyElroy

[6]Jul 20, 2009

Why be nit-picky? Well, as I said, I found that the resolution of the show and the revelation that Henry was the killer felt like a let-down to me. I was hoping for something more clever than what they gave us. Yes, the show had many strengths, but when there is that big of a letdown, I am not sure as to why I should overlook that when it left me dissatisfied with the series as a whole. Up until the last episode, I was caught up in it, but with the lacklustre effort as to explain why Henry did all this, I just felt that there should have been a better build up to it. I wanted something of an AHA! moment, on all I got was a HUH? moment.

angrodpallanen

[7]Jul 22, 2009
    • level: 22
    I didn't care much for the whole Henry thing, to me it felt like Scream 3 (half brother gone crazy) mixed with I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (father/son killersduo, son ends up killing the dad)
    The most disappointing was that Gorham didn't pull off psycho at all. I'm sorry, but it just didn't feel like he was that crazy. I mean, yeah, what he did was crazy, but Gorham just couldn't act it out enough to really make it frightening. They should have let Scully be the killer, we all know Matt Barr can do crazy very, very good (read: Psycho Derek on OTH).
    Also was that nobody survived except for Shae and her annoying daughter, that's retarded. It's only that the characters I cared about got a good ending, otherwise it would've been a s*cky ending. I was more rooting for Chloe and Cal then anybody else, but they got a proper send off, by him dying for her and her ending her life herself instead of Wakefield and dying with the man she loved. They were awesome together. Trish running through the woods in her wedding dress was cinematografical geniality. I loved it. And her death was also very sad, but powerful. And then Scully, the poor guy was the only one who thought straight throughout the show, but changed into a true hero, and got killed for it. These four were my absolute favs, but their final scenes were the best ones of the entire show. In that way, Harper's Island truely outdid itself.

GavinGibbons

[8]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 29
    angrodpallanen wrote:
    I didn't care much for the whole Henry thing, to me it felt like Scream 3 (half brother gone crazy) mixed with I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (father/son killersduo, son ends up killing the dad)
    T
    this was EXACTLY what i thought... and why i ruled Henry out as a suspect.

Venny55

[9]Aug 5, 2009
    • level: 5

it was a great show, yes with flaws but also interesting enough to keep watching... never thought Henry was the second killer though!

lovingpizonica

[10]Aug 27, 2009
    While I agree with a lot of the plot holes being discussed here, I thought it was fairly obvious that the Sheriff didn't know anything about Henry's parentage. While he undoubtedly discovered that his wife had had a child with Wakefield (whether through the diary or because his wife told him directly), he had no way of knowing who had adopted the child in question. The secretive look between the two mothers in the flashback is indicative of the idea that they, alone, know the truth.

_Dargor_

[11]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 6

Saw the henry thing coming from episode 5/6, he was in my top 3 suspects from the moment he fought with Shane in the living room after Shane locked Abby outside. He would go nuts the moment anyone was interfering with the "plans" that had been made. JD, Shane, and the deer head/raccoon incidents are the best exemples. He was overdoing it even for someone about to get married.

Henry had just too many of those "violent" moments to keep up the nice boy act, he felt very suspicious, the only thing that made me doubt was that he was having sex with Trish while Marty was getting butchered, but after a while I think everyone figured there was 2 killers (long before they actually brought it up on screen).

Henry was the one to bring them all there, he chose them personally. He had the physicial strenght, knew the island well and clearly was overdoing it most of the time, so he felt fishy after a while, but Jimmy was suspicious from the start as well so it was always a toss up between those two.

I did feel like the last 3 episodes were a let down compared to the quality of the show. The moment Cal let himself get stabbed without actually thinking of throwing wakefield off the bridge or at least grabbing him and jumping off was the start of the decline for me, from there it went from cliche to cliche. Everyone and their mom getting a shot at wakefield and either not taking it or missing, a lot. Trish just watching like a retard as Shane and Wakefield are duking it out, with a friggin gun in her hands was one fo the most retarded things, my gf actualy shouted shoot at that moment. People kept f*cking splitting up at every opportunity. Even when they chose not to kill wakefield (despite him brutally murdering over 20 of their close friends ruthlessly, with 4 guns pointed at him) they could have had the sense of breaking his arms/legs/few ribs to not take any chances, there would still have been Henry left for some action anyway.

The end felt like senseless crap compared to the first 10 episodes. I did enjoy the ride, but I was disapointed.

Also, Shae and Madison were probably 2 of the least likable characters on the show and they're the ones that survived...

Edited on 06/10/2010 10:43am
    Edited 5 total times.

firecracker666

[12]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 13

I loved the reveal of who the killer was! The only time I suspected Henry was the killer was when he appeared on the docks covered in blood when J.D. was killed. Then they implicated the Sheriff, then Jimmy, but then it turned out it WAS Henry all along...I loved that they threw in red herrings and bluffs and double bluffs. The fact that they didnt really give any hints that it could be him just made it so much more shocking.

I do however think they should have ended it with the penultimate episode. Henry turning around, seeing Wakefieldand saying "Hi dad" would have been a great ending because it was unexpected! The finale was a bit drawn out and struck me as unneccessary. They could have just added the important bits of the finale into the 2nd last episode. Stuff like Shae and Madison escaping, Abby killing Henry and any explanation. That way it would have wrapped everything up and still had the impact.

The finale was a bit of a let down.

snattylight

[16]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 2

Venny55 wrote:

it was a great show, yes with flaws but also interesting enough to keep watching... never thought Henry was the second killer though!

Completely agree with you here. While the ending wasn't quite as good as most people were expecting it to be, I thought it was a great show with a great plot and great characters.

The show is full of great characters, but I think the one that stands out from the rest is Jimmy, played by C.J. Thomason. He's one of the most genuine and admirable characters on the show. I love his relationship with Abby, and I love when it's revealed that he distracted Wakefield to save her. C.J. stands out a lot, even among such a large and talented cast.

I researched C.J.'s career a bit and he's actually starring in a new movie called The Monkey's Paw. If you haven't seen the trailer yet, you check it out here: http://monkeyspawthemovie.com/. But yeah, this show didn't have the greatest ending, but was still well worth watching.