Harper's Island

Whap

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Apr 09, 2009 on CBS

7.1
  • A group of old friends travel by boat to an island with a past to celebrate a wedding. Two end up dead by the end of the show.

1.5
    Oh no!!! My brain cells were murdered!

With the backdrop of the Pacific Northwest and a storyline with some potential, this show had the opportunity to be excellent. Speaking as a person with a theatre degree, the acting and the writing were completely disappointing. None of the characters was smarter than a fifth grader. I didn't believe a single character (no, I have to be fair--the pale, stiff blank-staring people hanging by their necks from the tree did look dead).

I have difficulty believing that anyone could even watch a second episode. Not even the quirky music in the background could add humor to the scenes with the admittedly beautiful flirtatious blonde and the awkward rich guy. The characters were all very attractive people that seemed to memorize their lines and blocking well, but I wouldn't call them actors, aside from one or two older veteran television actors, one of which they killed off in the first episode. It is impossible to have a good quality show without good writing and good actors to bring that writing to life.