Harry's Law

American Girl

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 09, 2011 on NBC

• Excellent Episode

It's always nice when there are two cases on the go side by side - it makes for a more enjoyable episode, for me anyway. Harry's case was the secondary one here and the combination of humor, brilliant work by the lawyers and a genuine love of country by the mayor were a perfect combination. I think in the end the judge got the decision right.

As for the child custody case, what a challenge for all concerned. Again, I believe the judge got it right for the reason offered in the closing arguments: it's not about the adults in the case, it's about the child and her best interests. I think there is no question that the best interests of the child were served. I loved Judge Seabrook's comment that the it often comes down to what judge you get.

It's a beautifully written story about two sets of parents' love for their child, the excruciatingly difficult non-black and white choice the judge has to make and the emotional investment made by all parties in the process. I think, sadly, American culture has arrived at a point where too many extremes carry the day. This decision isn't about liberal or conservative, Republican or Democrat, it's about a child. A beautiful child who has been through an experience no child should have to bear and landed on her feet thanks to love.

It reminds me that we all share a common humanity, that we are all God's children, that virtues like love, compassion and mercy and alive and well beyond the divisiveness we all too often see in the news. That isn't America, this is. America is still a beacon of hope and freedom, the latter of which the Langford judge called "our most cherished commodity." So true. What a beautifully written and presented episode.

• What It's Really About

As fas as cases go, this episode had the best. It was emotional onone hand with Adam's case, and very interesting to say the least on the other with Harry's little vacation gone awry. In both cases, they had some of thebest writing and it reminded me a lot of The Practice.

Both rulings were just though they could've gone both ways really.

That is how good both sides were represented.

The young lawyer on Harry's case was incredible, he should becomea show regular. Great actor too, as were the other guests.

All in all, this was the best episode of the season so far and I hope many more will come. David E. Kelley has a new hit for sure with Harry's Law. Kathy Bates is fantastic!

• American Girl

After last week's great episode Harry's Law does it again with two very interesting cases.

- We knew Harry would win hers, but it was still a fun moral dilemma. Obviously, the facts and sanity were on her side so it was wise to have her win, but still a creative case.

- More often than not legal dramas feature the stars never losing and that is why it was good to see the "B" team lose the custody case. It's an unfortunate circumstance, but I have to agree with the ruling too because as far as they are concerned it was a legal adoption.