Harry's Law Forums

NBC (ended 2012)

Major Differences...

Smallville178

[1]Oct 12, 2011
    • level: 7

The differences between season 1 and season 2 is amazing. Season 1 was about the 4 of them with a new case each week that had something to do with the neighborhood violence that they were trying to stop. Season 2 now no longer has Malcolm or Jenna, 2 of the original 4, and keeps bringing in new "high profile" people to replace them. They are taking high profile, high news cases. It is just not the same show that i fell in love with and now i am seriously rethinking about if i am going to continue watching the show or not. How do you guys feel about all of the major changes?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

roams

[2]Oct 12, 2011
    • level: 6

I'm surprised but you know what... this is an improvement!

I thought the show was pretty good last season but this one... well the first 3 episodes were really great.Bigger longer stories really works for me.

Jenna and Malcom weren't that interesting... frankly I didn't like the big shot white lady in need of redeption giving the poor little black boy full of promise his shot "angle" they played, glad that's gone.... and they are downplaying the dim-wit blond vs the older smarter woman angle too which is good.

Not sure I like Mark Valley's character and all the "take is outside?" crap though... but I'll give it some time.

kanniballl

[3]Oct 13, 2011
    • level: 18

Yeh, it's odd. I understand the need to change / grow / evolve... but after one season???

I liked the under-dog aspect of last season... it made the show stand out among a sea of law shows. Especially around a time when they kept throwing law shows out there to be the next "Law and Order" since the old staple was cancelled.

Now, it's just Boston Legal or The Practice resurrected.

thatmonkey

[4]Oct 14, 2011
    • level: 10
    Nah, I loved the conflict between Harry and Tommy, that tension is gone. I loved that black street hustler, GONE! I loved Cordry doing his David and Goliath act for the win. David Kelly is the king of the dingalings for taking a fresh show and plugging in ready made pieces. This show is officially dead. There will be no season 3, doubt season 2 even airs completely.

kravitzfan12

[5]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 34
    Season 2 has been so much better than Season 1 in so/em> many way! All Jenna ever did was run into the storage room and slam the door... every episode. Malcolm had one decent episode with the drug bust. They were useless characters that always had the worst plots of the episode and detracted from the main action of the series. The ghetto aspect was getting tired and didn't provide anything vaguely interesting anyway. The bets episodes of last season were most similar to this season's tone. All changes for the better.

haldrey

[6]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 22
    Yes, two different scenarios but if I liked season one I like this one better. Boston Legal resurrected, and that is bad?

babyblue3103

[7]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 2

I agree totally loved season 1 think they have spoilt it in season 2 its not as personal

philos31

[8]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 9

Just look at how the scores for season 2 have dropped here on TV.com, from 8.5 average for season 1 episodes to a meager 7 for season 2.
    I loved the first season, I don't even watch the 2nd season anymore.

Too bad.

ruthles100

[9]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 4

I watched Boston Legal which was also created/written my David E Kelley. Brilliant show. I loved it, however DEK does tend to have a habbit of introducing new characters and forgetting about old ones. Often doesn't write them out...they just disappear. This happened a number of times in BL. It is rather unsettling. I would advise you to stick with it though as his scripts are usually witty and interesting. Another habbit of his is to use actors from other shows he has been involved with...in this case, most notably, Mark Valley. Perhaps he is slowly trying to turn it into Boston Legal? Did you watch that show?

Knightshade03

[10]Nov 13, 2011
    • level: 13

I really enjoyed Season 1 and while the court cases are comparable, the overall tone has changed, though not necessarily for the better. I do miss the street aspect, not to mention the shots of doing law with a bunch of shoes floating around. I wish, in the 1st season, they had done a couple of "I'll take these pumps and will you take my case?" scenarios for the shoe aspect. Anyway, the new season has a few changes I'm not sure I agree with. I wish they'd renew "Human Target" and put Mark Valley back there, I'm not liking his character that much here. Also, after they went through all that work to bring in Tommy Jefferson, the constant scenes of "Let me help." "NO! Go away" are wearing very thin! Seems the only good moment he's had was when Harry was getting arrested on trumped up charges and he says, "I heat my swimming pool suing cops like you. Give us the minute!" After that they've pretty been using him as bad comic relief. I'd really like to see more of him, especially since they went through the trouble of making him a cohabitant of the office. I hope the 2nd half shapes up better. And while Jenna and Malcolm have been written out of the show, I'd still like to see them every now and then, along with some of the other street stuff that made the show interesting and funny at times.

fan1983

[11]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 8

I'm reallydisappointed. These changes came out of nowhere, and now I'm not longer interested in the characters. I miss Malcolm.

U1timate_Guy

[12]Dec 9, 2011
    • level: 1
    I agree, season 2 is just getting bad. Malcolm and Jenna didn't have the most intricate plots, but they were entertaining nonetheless. There's no sense of struggle any more since they seem to have made it big overnight. I don't care about the brunette attorney (I don't even remember her name) and though I'm happy to see Mark Valley back, his character has seemed rather mundane. Tommy has lost his initial over the top silliness and season 1 ended with Adam getting back together with Rachel... and that was completely forgotten.

The main problem is that I don't care about these characters. Why should I? Especially when DEK has the reputation of dropping them. And also, perhaps since I've seen every episode of The Practice and Boston Legal - I'm growing tired of the same plot machinations being rehashed. (Don't make this guy testify, his priors will come in... etc.)

peak_a_bu

[13]Dec 11, 2011
    • level: 6
    ITA S2 has lost all the quirkiness that made me love S1, the show has totally been changed and I really miss Malcolm.