Harry's Law Forums

NBC (ended 2012)

New Kidney on the Block (spoilers)

karlmeszaros

[1]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 106

This episode had a lot of fodder for discussion. Personally, I agree with the Judge's decision in the Jimmy Cormack case and for many of the reasons she states. Sometimes it's hard to find words to articulate a belief and many people scoff at anyone who mentions faith as a reason for any position they may hold. I think our bodies are a very precious gift and we only get one. The idea of buying and selling body parts is, to me anyway, not something I could ever support. I think if people wish to help friends and family and donate an organ, that's great. If people feel strongly about being an organ donor, that's great too. Yes, people die and that's sad when they die at an age we believe is too young. But we all die and there are many, many people that have died at a young age yet made an indelible mark in our world.

The other thing is the argument put forth by the Humane Board doctor. It's the same argument used for so many things that have an underbelly to them. It's the lets legalize and regulate it. We've heard this at various time for all sorts of gambling and gaming, marijuana, prostitution and even hard drugs, and the latter from no less than a Republican candidate for the Presidency of the United States.

We all have our different points of view and it's great to live in a society where we are free to express our opinions and hopefully not be ridiculed for them. I do believe that life is precious and that it's important to fight for it to our last breath and I also believe that when it's our time, it's our time. Body parts ought not to be commodities like shoes or cars. I believe it's dangerous to play God and one thing I believe very strongly is that the beginning and ending of life should be left to a power greater than ourselves.

I'm not sure that I'm being very articulate here, but a reviewer asked the question and I thought it would be good to create a place to continue the discussion if anyone is interested.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.