Hart of Dixie Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Gilmore Girls Similarities

Diamondgrl13

[1]Mar 2, 2012
    • level: 6

Does anyone else notice all the similarities between this show and Gilmore Girls?? Besides the obvious of using the same exact town sets (like the gazebo in the town square-SO Gilmore Girls!)...I mean, it makes sense since it's still the same network and everything but still. And the SweetiePie Dance?? Totally like the Starlight Festival. There's more similarities...I'm just blanking at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this show...but, it is a little bit of a rip-off, don't you guys think? Or am I the only one??

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Justlikeheaven_

[2]Mar 3, 2012
    • level: 33
    No. Hart of Dixie is nothing like Gilmore Girls. The main plot of the show is not even similar. And as far as the sets go, there have been other shows that do that too. Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill, which were both filmed in Wilmington NC, have used shared film locations.

stellarchick86

[3]Mar 4, 2012
    • level: 32
    Never saw GG so cant comment, sorry...

Diamondgrl13

[4]Mar 4, 2012
    Justlikeheaven_ wrote:
    No. Hart of Dixie is nothing like Gilmore Girls. The main plot of the show is not even similar. And as far as the sets go, there have been other shows that do that too. Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill, which were both filmed in Wilmington NC, have used shared film locations.

Yeah, that's true..the storylines are totally different. I didn't mean to imply that they were similar in that sense. It's more just the little details that I see a lot of similarities. And I never watched Dawson's Creek so I didn't know it shared One Tree Hill sets. Guess it's just me then, lol.

txgirl75

[5]Mar 6, 2012
    • level: 23
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    GG is one show you got to watch it was one of the best..

Diamondgrl13

[6]Mar 6, 2012
    txgirl75 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    GG is one show you got to watch it was one of the best..

That it was! I own them all on dvd and my mom and I go back and watch them all like once a yr, lol.

Justlikeheaven_

[7]Mar 7, 2012
    • level: 33
    ^ I never really watched it consistently. I have probably seen about 20 or so episodes out of the whole entire series. So i know basically the general plot but no specifics.

Diamondgrl13

[8]Mar 7, 2012
    Oh no, you gotta watch it. Well, I mean, I think you should-I loved it at least. I think you can get them on dvd from Netflix.

optimizt

[9]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 9

I get what you're saying... Both are small towns with a community feel. Very different premises, but substitute a combination of the mayor's house/Bar/Doctor's office for Luke's and the Inn, Lemon for Taylor, etc, and add in the CW's filming/editing/casting budget and style...

As for the sets. Both Gilmore and Hart were/are filmed on the Warner Brother Studio in Burbank, CA. You can pay $50ish for a tour, or just google pictures. But if you are in the area and have an afternoon to kill, I thought it was a fun tour. MANY shows and movies have been filmed on this lot, including Friends, ER, Big Bang Theory, Harry's Law, Bonanza, West Wing... The day I was there Jim Carrey and Steve Carell were filming a movie, and we passed Kathy Bates, Aaron Sorkin, Conan O'Brien, and Jim Parsons. Apparently we were very lucky to see this many stars and we did not get to interact with any of them, but cool anyway. But I digress...

The Main Street/Town Square/Courthouse/Church are all the same between GG and HoD and probably use the same details as well (the studio switches out things like light fixtures and door handles to identify period or climate). This set is also used in the ABC-Family show "Pretty Little Liars" and in the past on "Growing Pains," "Rebel Without a Cause," "Music Man," "Elvira," and about a gazillion other movies and TV shows. Once you start to pay attention, you will be amazed. The set is called "Midwest Street." The swamp where Zoe and Wade live is known as the jungle and is also often used in "True Blood." The bar on HoD is the diner on TB and is also in this part of the lot.

Diamondgrl13

[10]Jun 14, 2012
    optimizt wrote:

I get what you're saying... Both are small towns with a community feel. Very different premises, but substitute a combination of the mayor's house/Bar/Doctor's office for Luke's and the Inn, Lemon for Taylor, etc, and add in the CW's filming/editing/casting budget and style...

As for the sets. Both Gilmore and Hart were/are filmed on the Warner Brother Studio in Burbank, CA. You can pay $50ish for a tour, or just google pictures. But if you are in the area and have an afternoon to kill, I thought it was a fun tour. MANY shows and movies have been filmed on this lot, including Friends, ER, Big Bang Theory, Harry's Law, Bonanza, West Wing... The day I was there Jim Carrey and Steve Carell were filming a movie, and we passed Kathy Bates, Aaron Sorkin, Conan O'Brien, and Jim Parsons. Apparently we were very lucky to see this many stars and we did not get to interact with any of them, but cool anyway. But I digress...

The Main Street/Town Square/Courthouse/Church are all the same between GG and HoD and probably use the same details as well (the studio switches out things like light fixtures and door handles to identify period or climate). This set is also used in the ABC-Family show "Pretty Little Liars" and in the past on "Growing Pains," "Rebel Without a Cause," "Music Man," "Elvira," and about a gazillion other movies and TV shows. Once you start to pay attention, you will be amazed. The set is called "Midwest Street." The swamp where Zoe and Wade live is known as the jungle and is also often used in "True Blood." The bar on HoD is the diner on TB and is also in this part of the lot.

DANG! You know a LOT about the WB studio! I'm impressed...and a little concerned about your tv watching habits..lol. Jk. I didn't realize they use the same sets for SO many shows. I mean, the same studio area yeah, but not the EXACT same sets. That's kinda cool that you can go tour them. I might try to do that sometime..thanks for the tip! :-)

optimizt

[11]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 9
    Yeah... My college roommate was the female equivalent of Dawson Leary (and now works for one of the major studios) and my ex is a costume designer. I'm a little too educated about certain behind-the-scenes tv/movies things.

Plus, seriously, once you learn to step out of the story and start to recognize certain sets/facades you will notice them in a good number of shows. Just, like I said before, painted a different color, different doorknobs/lights/plants...

{And yes, that was another tv reference above, from a WB show nonetheless... You probably should be worried about me...}

Diamondgrl13

[12]Jun 18, 2012
    optimizt wrote:
    Yeah... My college roommate was the female equivalent of Dawson Leary (and now works for one of the major studios) and my ex is a costume designer. I'm a little too educated about certain behind-the-scenes tv/movies things.

Plus, seriously, once you learn to step out of the story and start to recognize certain sets/facades you will notice them in a good number of shows. Just, like I said before, painted a different color, different doorknobs/lights/plants...

{And yes, that was another tv reference above, from a WB show nonetheless... You probably should be worried about me...}

Oh cool. Yeah, lots of times I don't really pick things out like that. But this one was just so obvious to me cuz I was kinda obsessed with Gilmore Girls, lol.

Haha. Dawson's Creek??

CoffeeCake225

[13]Jul 18, 2012
    • level: 15

I agree the town does kinda remind me of stars hollow ( the town in GG) and the amount of events the towns have.

The Rammer Jammer / Luke's

Brick / Taylor

Alcohol / Coffee

Doctors Office / The Inn

Edited on 07/18/2012 1:07am

Lelllima

[14]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 1
    Diamondgrl13 wrote:

Does anyone else notice all the similarities between this show and Gilmore Girls?? Besides the obvious of using the same exact town sets (like the gazebo in the town square-SO Gilmore Girls!)...I mean, it makes sense since it's still the same network and everything but still. And the SweetiePie Dance?? Totally like the Starlight Festival. There's more similarities...I'm just blanking at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this show...but, it is a little bit of a rip-off, don't you guys think? Or am I the only one??

The first time I seen Hart of Dixie, I observed the similarity in style, lightness and creativity of fun dialogue, equal to those of Gilmore Girls! I loved it because I loved this series!

Lelllima

[15]Nov 9, 2012
    Lelllima wrote:
    Diamondgrl13 wrote:

The first time I seen Hart of Dixie, I observed the similarity in style, lightness and creativity of fun dialogue, equal to those of Gilmore Girls! I loved it because I loved this series!

For this reason I gave a Google to see if the authors / directors were the same!

Diamondgrl13

[16]Nov 18, 2012
    Lelllima wrote:
    Lelllima wrote:
    Diamondgrl13 wrote:

For this reason I gave a Google to see if the authors / directors were the same!

And...??

vmarslover

[17]Dec 5, 2012

I always thought that without giving it much attention and then last episode, they had a picnic basket auction! I was like "c'mon"

Diamondgrl13

[18]Dec 7, 2012
    EXACTLY! That's just a total ripoff! Same plot and everything-people getting the wrong dates and whatnot. Don't get me wrong-I LOVE both shows, and I loved both episodes, but it's just like you said "c'mon"!

sshan39

[19]Jan 25, 2013
    • level: 7

I agree it give the GG feel in the small town and the oddball recurring characters but thats part of why i love it. other than that its nothing like the show. SO no conplaints here.

Yaspaa

[20]May 4, 2013
    • level: 79
    Don't see the similarities, HOD isn't really in the same ball park, HOD is fun, but it ain't clever.