Have Gun - Will Travel

The Search

Aired Saturday 9:30 PM Jun 18, 1960 on CBS

• In this episode Paladin appears to have a whip lashed around his neck from behind. He is jerked backward and whipped unconcious. This scene, in which Paladin is nearly killed with a whip, reveals that even a hero may die helplessly at the hands of evil.

Before we join the story, the murderous brother (MB) has already killed his youngest brother, but the second youngest (YB) survived. The MB leaves San Francisco unaware that either brother lives, and becomes the "meanest dog" in a town somewhere in California. While the MB may have been cruel to others before we meet him, his favorite game of cruelty at the time we arrive reveals a man who is irredeemably evil. Paladin and the YB come to town seeking the MB on behalf of his dying mother. It is not a good place for the sane people - and by the end, when the madman is (gratefully) dead, Paladin and the YB have the look of people who have miraculously survived a violent act of nature.

This episode achieves what very few movies about psychotics do - It scares the fleas off you, and impells you find your teddy bear so you can get some sleep.