Haven

Ain't No Sunshine

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Aug 27, 2010 on Syfy

7.6
  • amazing ending

This is a great setup for the rest of the season, what an amazing show this is.
  • Amazing ending

I have to say, I really enjoyed this episode. We got to see more of Nathan and how he feels about not being able to physically feel. I felt very sad for him when he was explaining to Audrey that he can;t even feel his own skin and that he wasn't sure if he could make anything happen. I wanted to cry when he was standing in front of Jess's house after she said goodbye to him and told him that she was going back to Montreal with him holding the flowers and the coffee! But the ending was worth the little bit of sadness. throughout the episode Audrey had been trying to make friends, realizing that she has never really had a true friend that she could rely on. (It was actually pretty funny how she kept calling everyone by the wrong names) Well, at the end of the episode she said to Nathan that she does have a friend and so does he, meaning each other, and leans up and kisses him on the cheek Nathan's face was absolutely priceless. Because he could actually physically feel Audrey's kiss or touch! If that's not a sign that they are meant for each other then I don't know what is. It was Awesome.
  • A classic end scene

First of all, this has been, to my opinion, the best episode so far... But, have I said this before? Well, then this is a classic.

I was glad to see Nathan so much more passionate in this case. He followed leads, he came up with theories and his dynamic with Audrey was better because of this. And that's what I had been expecting.

I felt really sorry for Nathan for not being able to feel anything. I can only imagine what kind of person he must think he is even when his condition is only physical. He has to trust Audrey a lot to confess to her something so private and what could be something really embarassing, but Audrey's support was important and I'm sure he treasures that.

I'm glad Jess is gone for good. I always thought she looked too old for Nathan.

I hadn't felt that much excitement for a show since the X-files' days. It was an interesting (and creepy) plot combined with the characters' developing subplots and stories with a motive that had nothing supernatural, just pure revenge. Thornton's explanation to his "shadow" was... kind of accurate. Him feeling relieved, like some weight had been lifted as his shadow was wandering around and getting rid of those who killed his wife.

But the most important thing: The last scene. I don't think Nathan ever imagined that the person who could make him feel something was the new girl in town. His reaction is priceless. I wonder what his thoughts were after the kiss. And I also wonder if Audrey knows what she has caused with it.
  • Slipping into mediocrity

Listeners of the Critical Myth Podcast (available on my website and iTunes) know that our discussion panel has been struggling with "Haven" since the very beginning. I've tried to defend it, based on the information provided in the official commentaries from the Syfy website and other revelations from the creative side, but it's hard to continue when all of those promises never seem to translate into results on the screen.

My greatest criticism has been the absence of consistent supporting characters that can represent the quirky and unusual personality of the town itself. The writers seem to be going for the long-term effect; given enough time and exposure, the episodic elements will form a gestalt that will reveal the character of Haven as a whole. But that hasn't been happening on a sufficient scale.

This is one reason why I liked Jess and her relationship with Nathan. Not only did she seem to be designed to make Nathan more comfortable with his curse, but she seemed to represent a perspective on the Troubles that was otherwise lacking. And the Nathan/Jess, Audrey/Duke setup avoided the more conventional love triangle approach. But most importantly, Jess was something important: a supporting character that provided a touchstone to the undercurrents in Haven society.

So what do the writers do? They have Jess leave Haven, just as Audrey starts pushing Nathan to come out of his reserved and wooden shell. Which reduces Jess to a plot device: a character introduced solely to open up Nathan's worldview enough for Audrey's apparent benefit. Not only is the show now straying in a more conventional direction, but now the audience is back to having less insight into the Haven community as a result.

The result is frustration. The pattern has already emerged among the cursed, so it's now a waiting game until the main characters recognize it themselves. In the meantime, there just isn't enough personality to the show, the town, or the regulars to generate the kind of interest "Haven" desires. The irony is that the overwhelming impression given by the production and the tone of the episodes is that they're getting the job done.
  • A turning point episode. Jess was not one of the 'troubled' and it showed painfully. She could accept Nathan's issue because she believed it to be a medical problem, something that fit neatly in a box. Haven doesn't have much use for boxes.

I like Jess and the companionship she offered Nathan. He has a good heart and we want him to connect with someone, but he isn't ordinary. Nathan needs someone who can handle Haven level ordinary, Jess wasn't it. Remember that she played on the witch image when she arrived, but despite what she saw, she was not a believer in what she actually saw, only in what she wanted to see. This denial issue is the thing the chief keeps after Nathan about. Jess left because she didn't want to see, even if she had to sacrifice Nathan to keep her eyes closed. I'll bet she'll be back to challenge the new Nathan and Audrey connection, and I wonder if she will suddenly become a believer if her desires tap the Haven energy source for troubled hearts after her return.

Audrey told Nathan in an early episode she couldn't heal him. Nathan came alive when she kissed him and he felt it. I was hopping up and down in the livingroom I was so happy for Nathan. How will Audrey feel when she finds out?
  • 8/27

5.5
    The Dark Man was an interesting character, I will admit that, but to be honest it seems more like something that would be on Scooby Doo, not a show that I really want to put too much stock in.

Haven's problem is not creating these monsters or weird supernatural occurences, as they have actually done a solid job at that; it is just that the banter between Nate and Audrey is embarrassingly bad. This is a crucial part of any cop series, and while it may be unlike anything on CBS, it is still a cop series. If this does get a miraculous season two pickup, that needs to be worked on.