Haven

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Sep 10, 2010 on Syfy

7.8
  • 9/10

5.5
    The latest episode of Haven again features an entertaining premise, but the execution just is not there. It was good for a Haven episode, but I have to score this fairly and when you compare it to the body of work of other shows in this field it just does not hold up.

Tonight's Haven as I said featured a good monster in the form of the chameleon, but the acting and this group of characters just cannot get me interested in them, they cannot keep me hooked no matter how hard they try.

Good, by Haven standards, but still a mediocre episode overall.
  • I enjoyed this episode and it had a good twist.

I don't know about everyone else, but I very much enjoyed this episode. At first I found it a little weird, but that definitely changed as it continued. I'm sorry to all you Duke/Audrey shippers, but I am fully confident that Audrey and Nathan should be together in the end. The fact that he could feel her touch should prove that. Plus, in order to really be sure that the camelian was taking Audrey's form(one of the big twists. Very unexpected. I thought it was Julia.) he decided to kiss her to see if he could feel it. If only he had kissed the real Audrey!
    Well, anyway. There was also a sad turn in events. Poor Eleanor was killed. I was so disappointed at that. I really liked her character. What I thought was really interesting was the ending. It turns out that Duke is the boy standing next to Lucy in the Colorado Kid newspaper picture. Interesting, huh? I wonder what this means. What his relationship with Audrey is. Maybe he's her brother. That would be a cool turn in events.
  • One of my favorite episodes

This was very exciting! It would've been more exciting if I hadn't read the full recap and the reviews... But curiosity killed the cat.

I think the writers kind of played with us when there didn't really seemed to be a real suspect. I don't think Julia counts because we knew very little of her and it would've been too obvious. But Audrey was a shocker however, she didn't really do anything suspicious... Maybe that's how it was written, but it would've been more interested if we had thought everyone was the killer. I also think Vaughn's motivation could've been... darker.

Chief Wournos is still a total moron. I don't know why he hates Nathan so much. Does he really think his son is a coward? Hasn't Nathan proved that he is brave, a good detective and strong enough by now? Audrey (or the shapeshifter for that matter) was right in telling him Nathan needed some comfort.

So holding Audrey's hand isn't proof enough for Nathan that he had to kiss her... and kiss her on the lips? Of course!!! Nathan sure was very worried about Audrey. Both he and Audrey are strengthening their friendship and it could be dangerous for both of them.

I liked the darkness of the scenes and that we had a case without the duo really being on a case, you know. I thought Duke was stronger... but he was drinking and sort of complaining a lot. And too bad Eleanor was killed. I really liked her from ep 1.
  • Sliding backwards

I find it interesting to note that the official podcast for "Haven" hasn't been updated in a while. Are they still trying to produce the final few episodes of the season, or has support slowly but surely withered away over the past month or so? I can easily see this being a combination of both factors, but I must admit, I miss the insight into the creative process.

This was a difficult episode for me, because it revealed just how much I'm struggling to maintain interest in the show. This was chock full of revelations about Audrey and her mother, at least in terms of who knew about Lucy, and there's a lot of potential for some dramatic fallout over the discovery of that information. So why was Audrey's reaction so tepid?

Let's face it: for all intent purposes, Duke and Vince admit that they've been keeping things from Audrey. Not just little things, but things that have defined her reason for being in Haven in the first place. Considering that there was some amount of chemistry between Audrey and Duke, and certainly interest on his part, this is a significant betrayal. I was waiting for her to get seriously angry at the implication that she was being fooled into staying in town, given how it subverts her feeling of being treated like one of their own at the beginning of the episode. But that moment of justified anger never really came.

The episode also promised, to some extent, that these events were a meaningful escalation, as the portentous cracks around Haven made a reappearance. As metaphors go, they are fairly obvious, but the writers needs to give us more reason to care. What exactly are the stakes? What will Audrey's discovery of the truth about her mother unveil? I'm not sure the pacing or the scope of the series is driving me to care.

This is also the second episode in a row to take an important recurring character from the town, one of the few touchstones able to serve as the voice of the community, and remove her from the equation. We have less and less insight into the mindset of the residents of Haven, and I maintain that this is a bad thing. There aren't enough consistent perspectives on the events in Haven to establish the kind of introductory baseline that a first season is meant to provide for the long-term.
  • Pretty decent episode

I don't understand the low score for this episode or some of the reviews, the bad ones. Sliding backwards? Didn't we just learn something about Audrey's mother in this episode? I don't find it shocking that the newspaper guy or Duke are withholding information from Audrey. First of all, it's not like they're going to say to her 'let's have a cup of coffee' and they will tell her everything. Second, the show will have one less reason to be interesting. Yes, Audrey is in Haven for the woman in that picture, but I think Audrey enjoys solving "the troubles" and at some point doesn't want to let Nathan down.

I don't think Eleanor is dead at all. She could come back. If Jess left, who cares? It was for the better. No show is perfect. The plot was good and interesting, we got to meet a new character, there were follow ups and I believe that the Nathan/Audrey relationship, wherever it goes, it's getting stronger and Duke proved that he cannot handle stress very well.

So far we have seen so many things that I'm sure will be explored in the next episodes or in the next season if we get one -fingers crossed. You just can't give so much away in the first 9 episodes. It's boring.
  • See Summary

This was a pretty good episode of Haven a new and some what unique series. I liked the whole concept of being stuck in a mysterious hotel on an island for a celebration. It was like Haven's version of Clue. There was some emotion to the episode as well. The writers and actors did a good job of keeping the mystery going. It was hard to guess who was the shape shifter. I was glad to learn a little more about Audry and the Colorado Kid. I hope that we learn more at a faster pace then we have. It is a good series with lots of potential.