A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Look, I still think this is our very best bad plan.

That seems to represent the episode at large. Jordan had a bad plan, Duke and Audrey had a bad plan, Nathan is still pursuing the bad plan of having Audrey kill him.

After the now typical opening of a Haven resident buying the farm, it's into the action. For some reason, Christopher Shore as Dr. Lucassi has seemingly been dropped from the show...

And instead we get new (possibly temporary?) ME Gloria instead. It's nice to see another crabby senior citizen in town, especially since John Dunsworth was MIA this week. She proceeded to steal the scene and the show, and hopefully it will take her a long time to sell her house and move out of Haven.

We also discover that the writers and producers are trusting Lucas Bryant's wife Officer Rebecca with more dialogue and a backstory. It's good to be married to a show star.

Because if you're an actor on the show playing a Haven police officer, well, your life expectancy is somewhat limited...

Unfortunately, what that means is that Stan the Cop's days are numbered.

In any case, four generic Nova Scotian actors victims and 45 minutes later, we find out what's up with the Troubled of the Week. (TOTW). I've long since lost track of the show's complicated and somewhat contradictory backstory. If the Troubled follows bloodlines, why is everyone so surprised so often when seemingly new abilities pop up? Do new Troubles spontaneously appear? Why don't they maintain a history of everyone in Haven who has displayed abilities and put a watch on them and their families?

Plus if Peter's Trouble runs in the family, what did it use to do before the age of digital displays? Did people see countdowns in ye olde town Bibles and newspapers?

Anyhoo, in the first of a couple of disturbing sexual euphemisms, all they had to do to end Peter's Trouble was to.... well, get him laid. No they didn't come out and say that, but that was basically their plan. This was after it was explained that his Trouble manifested when a robber told him to sit still for 15 minutes, giving Peter a "15-minute Countdown to Rigor Mortis" Trouble. *scratches head* This seems like a case of a Trouble conforming to a random trigger, rather than a set bloodline kind of thing. Then again, writer Matt McGuinness gave us last year's "Stay," which was another really weird Trouble.

(Matt also slipped in Vicki, the voodoo artist from his first episode back in season one, "Sketchy." If anyone was wondering why she suddenly showed up three years later. Since the actress' name is Molly Dunsworth, one wonders if she's John Dunsworth's daughter. Nepotism rocks!)

Right, so much for the TOTW. The two subplots or whatever were Duke and Audrey trying to conceal the fact that Audrey was Audrey from Nathan. That didn't turn out too well because apparently they think Nathan is an idiot. Cue reunion music, mildly passionate embrace, and Audrey then getting mad at Nathan for robbing her of her decision to essentially commit suicide of personality, so that he could end up trying to get her to shoot him and commit his own form of suicide.

Then there was Jordan. Poor Jordan. Kate Kelton isn't the greatest actress in the world, but she's leaps and bounds above Christian Camargo. And yet she ended up being the sacrificial lamb to the slaughter to make him some vague ill-defined Big Bad of the Season. But first she had to play Round 341 of "You can't shoot us because we're the only ones who can end the Troubles." Because that never gets old.

But it's not going to get any older. First we get Kate Kelton in that other sexual euphemism I mentioned. Wade literally puts on a rubber to have sex with her. Poor Kate has to try and look ecstatic as cold clammy Christian Camargo* strokes her with his cold clammy rubber-covered hands. Ugh.

Then at the end of the episode he kills her. The writers tried to balance the fact that we were so sick of her whining about Nathan that we wanted to see her dead, and the fact that it was the waste of a character who had potential only to see it tossed away to make her the Scorned Woman (tm).

So now we have the Big Bad, I guess. Wade is pretty much of an enigma. Apparently being divorced and having older-brother issues turns you into a sociopath. Wade becomes a villain only because they need a Crocker to be a villain. Maybe we'll get some explanation of the Crocker curse because of this. It's not a Trouble (I think...). Is it a balancing mechanism like Audrey/Lucy/Sarah? The Crocker curse has always seemed like the vaguest part of the show's mythology to me.

But Wade is now a murderer. Why? The curse doesn't apparently turn a Crocker into a killer: Duke has resisted it and he (was) a lot scummier than Wade. So we can't blame Wade's apparent trail of corpses on him getting his first rush of power. He doesn't seem redeemable, so it just seems that we have a Trouble-hunting serial killer who will power himself up so he can save the day (why he wants to, I'm not sure), and end up dead around episode 12 or 13.

Oh, and we had some of Vince's back story, which was interesting. I think we can definitely write him off as the "nice" Teague brother. And some anti-Trouble prejudice. Although it seems sometimes like everyone in Haven is Troubled.

So overall I'm giving this one a 7. Things happened, the plot moved on, the Vince stuff was good, the TOTW was okay. You can't go wrong with a ticking time bomb - just ask the producers of 24. Dwight was off checking up on Johnny Smith from the TV Dead Zone series**, Jennifer wasn't around either, and I missed both of them. But they'll be back next week judging from the previews.

-----

* Apologies to any Christian Camargo fans out there. I'm sure he has some, and the guy has to work. But... *yawn*

** Cleave's Mill = Johnny's hometown in the USA series.
Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Excellent review.
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
As mythology and backstories go, I've given up trying to follow or make sense of the Haven ones a long time ago. What was the Crocker one again? I vaguely remember something about the Guard symbol behind a wall, and a chest of stuff from Old Man Crocker, but not much else.
So that's not happening for me, but I will still happily watch each week's more or less exciting trouble-mystery and its solution. The characters are sufficiently interesting anyhow, and there are humor and suspense in proper dosages. So totally enjoyable, even without all the history. But hey - if somebody can sum up what we all should know and remember - maybe I'd be even happier...?
Flag
"Anyhoo, in the first of a couple of disturbing sexual euphemisms, all they had to do to end Peter's Trouble was to.... well, get him laid."

They also have to keep getting him laid. If Ellie ever breaks up with him, he'll go on another countdown-killing rampage. One can imagine Duke, Audrey, and Nathan following Pete along, making sure his dates go well, and so on. You could make an entire spinoff about it!

Flag
This (okay and I am going to be strangely literal here) was a very third (though its the fourth, right). We put a bow on the outstanding issue from last season and reform it. We set up the big bad for the whole season. Okay fine.

It was funny in Audrey and Nathan's end bump, it was occurring to me, even though it was clear to the audience and I think they both knew, I don't actually know if either of them have actually expressed their feelings to each other. I do like that we aren't losing Lexie because even though I imagine it is a bit of pain, I love her hair. It looks like Emily Rose's actual hair ends just below her shoulders and the rest are impressive extensions.

I missed Jennifer too. I hope this doesn't mean that she is the victim of Wade's that makes us most sad and really sets Duke off. It probably does though. My only real issue, I have been assuming this will happen for awhile. It happens when you cast the Ice Truck Killer in a role. Sorry, spoiler for those who haven't seen the first season of Dexter.
More+
Flag
Jennifer was in the preview for next week's episode.
Flag
I know, they did say she was just getting her stuff to move to Haven, but, well, the only hope I have that she isn't being set up just as another victim (this show has a nasty habit with its secondary female characters of getting you attached and then killing them, i.e., the real Audrey Parker, um where is she since the Barn is destroyed, or the counselor from last season, Jordan, heck, Arla. The only thing I can hope is a) she is Troubled herself (so Jordan and Arla stuck around a bit) b) her Trouble only really impacts her (so maybe she falls into the Dwight category.
Flag
I did like the the episode overall, but I dont agree at all with the wade storyline at all. Its rather ridiculous and out of the blue and killing Kate....that was just a lame move...I kind of like her as a character even though she was indeed rater whiny the last few episodes.
Flag
Well, he IS the Ice Truck Killer after all. It was only a matter of time before he turned crazy and murderous...
Flag
I don't mind Jordan's death at all, but I do think, like you, that Wade storyline is a bit weird. I did expect him, of course, to retake his father's obsession with killing Audrey etc, but it was too fast. The character changed like in 10 seconds.
Flag
Wade's story line was all right. It would be like an addiction, that needs to immediately be gratified. It isn't so much the killing of the troubled like his dad. He was in love with the feeling of the blood. When he said it was like molten lava, that screams addiction to me. He isn't out for nobility of ending the troubles he is out for himself.
Flag
I wonder if maybe Wade has always been dark. I thought it was kind of weird how he was so determined to live in Haven after discovering his wife had an affair. That was a rather convenient excuse to stay when Duke unexpectedly returned from the dead to take his bar back. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Duke discovers his brother has a shady past or did something to his wife.
Flag
mmm maybe you are right - it has been presented to us like some kind of poor soul that lost everything and needed a fresh start, but given what just happened, it would fit what you are saying.
Flag
Looking back on the episode it def was the best this season. But it still makes like 7 out of 10. Anyway, since there were many things in this episode to move forward the season arc, I still would say that it was worth watching. So first of all, Duke knows, Nathan now knows too. Audrey ain't killing anyone to stop troubles. Wade is a new serial killer on the loose, and Jordan's dead. And the trouble of the week just felt like a total filler, not so interesting there.
Flag
Agree on the trouble of the week - total filler.
Flag
Definitely missed Jen and Dwight. I love the Jen/Duke relationship and hope it really develops into something. And Dwight is just plain awesome.
I think they really screwed up with the whole Audrey personality story though. I was actually looking forward to getting to know her as Lexie. We could have spent much more time getting to know Lexie and see her really adjust to the troubles and learning to fight them. But now she's back as Audrey like nothing ever happened.
So I guess Wade is the new big bad. But Duke can't kill him or Duke will lose his power, right? I'm also still kinda confused about Duke's power. I wish they would flesh that out some more.
And I'm really glad Jordan was killed. I loved the actress playing her but the Jordan character was really getting on my nerves. Yes we know you want to end the troubles, everybody does. But did we need to hear you whining about it every week?
Overall I enjoyed it. The TOTW is getting kind of tedious. I usually don't really pay much attention to that anymore. I just watch for the overall mythology.
More+
Flag
The TOTW had a purpose in the early seasons. The cases helped Audrey learn about the town, her abilities and her past. Now TOTW just feels like filler. I agree, the overall Haven mythology as well as the character development is what interests me now. This series has such a short season, they really need to crank up the main story arc and do less of the side stories.
Flag
I'd agree that Kate Kelton is better then what they gave her to do this year. I may have to write a column up on where they seem to have gone astray this year...

The TOTW to me depends. If it's creepy and/or original I can get into it. Last year had a number of those. So far this year it's been two and a half out of six that clicked with me. (half point to the body-hopper/controller).
Flag
It would be nice if they spent a little time explaining the troubles more. I'd be happy with a whole episode of Vince and Dave sitting down with everyone and explaining everything about the troubles. That would be cool... lol
I'd definitely like to get more backstory on Vince and Dave and Haven in general. You're right we got a little bit this week but more would be nice...
Flag
First, in regards to your question, I think the answer is both are correct. Troubles can pass within a bloodline. But also troubles can pop out of thin air. I mean they come from somewhere, right?

We know that when Duke kills a person, the curse is removed from the entire bloodline. It's possible that somewhere another bloodline gains a curse (and doesn't have to be instantly either).

And yes, I agere that the Croaker curse is really weird. Especially since last season Nathan made it clear that a trouble allow you to do only one thing. Duke seems to have the jacked up abiltity as well as removing a bloodline.

Honestly I like the way this season is going, I mean they quickly dropped the whole fake pretense thing which is great. But... man... I still have too many issues with this season. Wade as the bad guy just seems odd.
Please dont' make it so someone he cared about died from the troubles... Please... anything but that stupid cliche.

Flag
Yep, I think it's both new and family-based as well. But I wish they'd make that a little clearer. There are some times when it's family-based, but they still act surprised. I think by now the Teagues would have done the research in advance.
Flag
That is a huge deal of what bothers me about this show and the concept of research. As I said on the previous episode, if they old geezers or Dwight have their "wall of weird" how come they don't know who has what?

As someone who is involved with an online genealogy company, I find it baffling they don't map out the entire town.

Heck, for that matter, if it goes by family, the old guy said that his wife had a terrible trouble but he used his own blood to activate Duke's dad.
So his kid has both troubles? One of them? How does that go?
Flag
I'm not sure that Vince has any children...
Flag
Who wrote this?!dude i love you!..let me be more politically correct, "You, person, I like you, lots!". This is an excellent review!. Sorta review one would expect to see on the "mainstream" tv.com/news section and not just community based!.
I love Haven, and i sometimes struggle with some of its logic but i chalk that out to meh! and go with it. But in the matter of some "database" existing with a little XXX family= YYY trouble, it bothers me. They cant all be new troubles (one none of the version of Audrey never dealt with). Or never documented. I thought that was the Teagues brothers job.
I didnt know the police officer was Nathan's wife IRL, damn! after every scene she was in i seriously thought she was about to get petrified. And if Wade is to become the seasons bad guy, the writes got lots of back history to write him on. I mean the guy is angry!.dad issues, wife cheated, brother never really let him in. Dude is a psych major's Halloween treat!.
RIP Jordan. you can touch people now.
Flag
I thank you kindly for the vote of confidence. I'm a semi-pro writer (although not for TV.com) so that helps.
Flag
"If the Troubled follows bloodlines, why is everyone so surprised so often when seemingly new abilities pop up? Do new Troubles spontaneously appear? Why don't they maintain a history of everyone in Haven who has displayed abilities and put a watch on them and their families?" <---Yes, I think this is the idea. With the barn deal not going down like it should have, the consequence is new troubles showing up. This is why they seem to directly correspond to the situations of those affected and why they seem so surprised to find they are troubled. And I doubt they have the resources to watch ALL of the troubled, not to mention, they would have to watch themselves as well.
Flag
Why is it that a murderous Trouble never triggers a Trouble in one of the people being targeted?

For instance, when Guilty Fireman was incinerating people a few weeks ago, why didn't any of them manifest a Trouble to resist him? Especially given what happened tonight, when we learned that Peter's Trouble seemed to "fit" itself to the circumstances he was undergoing. Not every Trouble is going to be helpful in resisting an attacking Trouble, but it'd be nice to see once or twice...
Flag
Actually, that did happen. Remember Jason Priestly's character? (Forgot the name)
Some troubled woman killed his dad and then his trouble was activated.
Flag
But someone didn't attack him. There's various superhero comics and books where a superpower manifests under direct-danger stress, as a response to that stress, to help that person defend himself. Yeah, a relative got killed. but I'd like to see it where someone's Trouble manifests just to defend themselves from being attacked by a Trouble.
Flag
Good question, and idea for a future episode. Would be a great ramp up to the finale - the troubles getting so bad that a trouble triggers a trouble.
Flag
Is it just me, or does Christian Camargo have a William Defoe vibe to him? And a bit of a resemblence?
Flag
He was better as Dexter's brother...
Flag
Once the brother of a much better character, always the brother of a much better character. :)
Flag
Oh yea, Duke rules!!!
Flag
Thats it! Thats why he looks familiar-ish! Its like, I should find him really sex hot, but there's so much defoe (and a little Marc Anthony) in him that it just creeps me out!
Flag
*sexy! Woops
Flag
Totally, I actually googled up who he was because I was sure he was Defoe Jr.
Flag
Agreed! Though Willem Dafoe pulls off the creepy, psychotic, borderline sociopathic tendencies persona far better. Christian Camargo has a more emo, could've been an extra in Twilight vibe to him.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members