A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
You see, that's the thing about this town. In Haven, you always lose. So why even bother trying?

Amen, brother! That's kind of how I'm starting to feel about this season. Don't get me wrong. I'm not about to write off the show or anything. But it's kind of slipping down in the ratings for me. At heart, I want an interesting Trouble/mystery, some cool supernatural stuff, a developing back story of bizarreness, and a reasonable amount of romance and personal development.

I'm not sure how much of that I'm getting. The Troubles this year have been kind of eh. The supernatural stuff toned down a little. And a whole lot of backstory being thrown at us. And even more romance being thrown at us.

One thing to keep in mind is that, as much as well love Eric Balfour and his soul patch, and Lucas Bryant, and Emily Rose... they're Syfy Channel actors. This is not to deride them or anything. But we're not talking Kevin Bacon or Robin Williams or James Caan here.

So when Eric Balfour is called upon to emote about how he misses his brother, the brother we barely knew, the brother who inexplicably turned into a psychopathic murdered and then killed himself on his brother's blade. The brother who even Duke didn't seem to care much about.

Well, let's just say that exceeds Mr. Balfour's talents. Not because he's a poor actor, but because it would take an incredible actor to overcome all the wacko plot elements and actually connect his character to this enigma wrapped in a mystery, wrapped in a... tarp.

I also miss the humor. Yes, Audrey and Duke occasionally show flashes of their old sarcasm and brilliance. But there's so much romance and tragedy going on now that there isn't much opportunity for it. Even poor, dear Gloria, apparently brought in to give the show some humor, couldn't do much this week.

And then we get the scene where Nathan veeerrryyy slowlllly talked Audrey into killing him. If he was hoping to drive her to it, he succeeded.

So the show seems more soap operaish than ever. And every damn week, the show has to have a situation and/or Trouble that is a metaphor for the main characters' issues. Can't they get their own metaphors and let the townspeople of Haven suffer and/or die in peace?

Anyhoo, on with the motley! Nathan and Audrey are happy, which is codespeak for "Great tragedy by the end of the episode." Duke emotes over the brother we never cared that he had, saying that he was the only Crocker he could stand. So... Wade and Dad Crocker, not a lot of choices there. Duke then decides to dump Jennifer and leave town--ummm, can't he take her with him?

Then it's on to the Trouble of the week. For some reason Duke is going to see his scuba-diving friend Jack, who lives on a quiet urban street. And the Teagues are walking nearby Quite a coincidence. Duke can't resist being a hero and saves the world's tallest 12-year-old girl, looking like he's rupturing his hernia...

So then the Teagues are somehow at ground zero of the pressure bubble but survive, even though the woman driving the car didn't. They get drunk from nitrogen narcosis and Duke and his new friend Jack put them in a hyperbaric chamber. Sadly, Duke doesn't stick around to see if they drunkenly blab any of the several hundred secrets they seem to be keeping from everyone.

Speaking of Jack, we learn that Jack and his brother Aiden are the sons of Reverend Driscoll. In a minor case of retconning, apparently. They're used to indicate how the mystery Hand guys can infect non-Troubled people with Troubles, so the writers choose the two people in town least likely to have Troubles. And... that's it. Wouldn't you like to know how they feel about the people that pretty much got their father killed? Do Jack and Aiden seem at all disturbed to be working with Audrey, the person who shot and killed their father?

In any case, the Driscoll boys generate extreme pressure when under extreme pressure. While Audrey, Nathan, and Duke are all under extreme pressure. Remember when they tried to make the individual Troubles interesting?

So one brother gets control of his abilities, the other one goes crazy and starts crushing the town. This brings us to the Designated Dead Haven Cop of the Week.

I was kind of hoping Officer Rebecca would bite the farm. But she wasn't in this week's episode. Neither was Glen the Cop, unfortunately.

So Aiden goes on a rampage and rather inconsistently applies his powers. Although Jack says the pressure is the equivalent of being several thousand feet down, people seem to only die of ruptured eardrums. Instead of crushed and mangled bodies. The pressure bubble seems to skip over Nathan and Audrey and hit a firehouse, because the director didn't really frame the sequences to give us an idea of geography. And of course, despite the intense pressure, the buildings are just fine.

So eventually Duke finds some high-tech deep-sea diving outfits in five minutes, Nathan snags his airline like a dumbass, and Audrey talks down another Troubled person. Meanwhile, we've been hit over the head with how one brother is willing to sacrifice his life to end his brother's Troubles, reminding Nathan (and us) for what seems like the 20th time that yes, if Audrey kills him the Troubles go away.

But wait, there's more! Apparently the Micmac Indians foretold of a great evil that would be harbinged by crabs with human eyes. Because... umm, I don't know. Crabs with human eyes? From what opium-fueled nightmare did that one come from? Maybe it's real Indian legend, but it just sounds and looks goofy. Would make a cool RC car, though.

So Jennifer sees crabs and it ties in with the Micmac prophecy, which tells us that everything the characters think about Nathan dying at Audrey's hands is wrong. Just too late to stop Audrey from shooting Nathan when she finally has enough of his whininess and apparently puts a bullet in him. But since this is only episode 7 of 13, we know the gunshot either wasn't what we thought, or won't be fatal.

Oh, and Nathan keeps acting like a police chief. What was the point of demoting him if he's just going to do the job anyway. Poor Dwight was gone this week, too, presumably still cleaning up after Johnny Smith's mess in Cleave's Mill.

So overall, I'm giving this a six. I'm getting kind of frustrated with the whole thing, but I'm sure I'll keep watching because that's what show editors do. And because I feel compelled to see how this all plays out. So never fear, I'll still be here.
But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. What do you think?

Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I wasn't as disappointed as you were and I weirdly appreciated SyFy deliberately not showing Nathan at all in the previews because while we know he probably isn't dead, I sense he and Audrey are both cosmic (I can't think of another word) that he is actually somewhere else. I mean, Revolution was so dumb this week, yes, it was clear Monroe wasn't dead and Rachel was digging up his grave, but leave it still as a question NBC.

I hope we are getting into the stretch where we are going to be dropping the Trouble of the Week thing and into the overall mythology. I mean those two guys and William are important this week so...fingers crossed.

Flag
Ok, I just googled Horseshoe Crabs and they are really really creepy!
They're also ancient (they're considered living fossils) and endangered. They have more then one pair of eyes and can detect normal and UV light.
People also harvest their blood, which is blue in colour btw, because it contains amebocytes which play a role similar to white blood cells. Creepy...just look at these pics! Yikes!

Flag
This is so freaky!!
Flag

******SPOILER ALERT******

4.09 SNEEK PEEK "William"

Spoilers for Haven Episode 4x09 "William"

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

"William" SNEAK PEEK

Flag
Oh, and regarding those crabs, I was just reminded by some one, that crabs or rather lobstrosities ARE reference to SK's Dark Tower. First, it was the door, now it is crab creatures, which were featured in Dark Tower, and I believe they might bitten Roland's finger or something like that. So these evil sign crabs in Haven so far might be just the tip of an iceberg of things to come
Flag
Those were lobsters. Which I seem to recall were mentioned in another Haven episode during the investigation into the Colorado Kid's murder.
Flag
Yeah, in that episode with Dukes babysitter who predicts the last thing people see before they die. Audrey and Duke go to talk to the photographer of "The Colorado Kid" picture and he is completely insane rambling on about how lobsters were talking to him and he starts undressing mid-speech. The episode is called The Hand You're Dealt and it's the episode where Duke finds out that someone with the tattoo (the guard tattoo) is going to kill him. It's also later suggested that someone with the same tattoo also killed the Colorado kid. But last season I really didn't get WHO actually wanted to kill James in the first place.
I am still really upset that Audrey and Nathan haven't even mentioned James since she showed back up. You'd think they'd have a conversation about how it's really sad that their son died. Ok he is Nathan and Sarah's son but Audrey is Sarah. She even brought up Sarah when she told Nathan how he is "very familiar" with her. But no, we didn't get ANY James talk between Audrey and Nathan? That unfortunately makes the whole "Colorado Kid" plot line that was stretched over 3 seasons suddenly seem like such a contrivance.
I really hope that subject comes up at some point.
More +
Flag
Giself, I'm glad that Haven is getting reviewed on TV.com and lucky you for it falling into your more then capable hands. However, I wish that you'd stop taking "Reviewing 101" lessons from the condescending, sarcastic members of the TV.com staff family. I can see a lot of Tim like attitude in your reviews and no offence but it seems like most of your review is you trying to hit us over the head with sarcasm and cheap humour instead of actually writing about what happened in the episode/s. There are so many things you have missed or miss-interpreted that it really makes me wonder why you're doing it in the first place.
Also, a mistake such as "the Driscoll sons/nephews"? That is something that is inexcusable for a reviewer. If you can't be bothered enough to get the facts about the show you're reviewing straight, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Sorry.
Also, your Eric Balfour/Duke issues are now coming across as nothing but hate towards the actor and the character. Another faux pas.

Haven is in no way "golden television" but it is entertainment and a show that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a SyFy show, you said it yourself. It's not trying to be something that it's not.

My advice to you: focus more on the story instead of on how you can make the review more about you then the actual show your writing about.

More+
Flag
I think you all are being really too hard on this season. It's different that the past seasons but I do think that they need to start answering questions and wrapping stuff up in the event the show isn't renewed for another season. The crabs aren't the weirdest things they have had on the show by far. My least favorite was the stuffed animals from season 1. I
Flag
I'm not sure if the crabs are weird, but they sure are goofy. And... out of left field. Crabs with human eyes are harbingers of ultimate evil... why?

Flag
Here's an example of what I mean about the writing and acting.

You had Duke giving a speech to his dead brother at his grave. Did anyone really feel as a result of this speech? Were they touched at the tragedy of Wade? Of Duke having to sorta/kinda kill his brother?

On the other hand, despite some mediocre and unbelievable writing, Lucas Bryant sells his little heart out on the last "kill me, please" speech to Audrey. This isn't to say Eric Balfour is a bad or worse actor. But if we hadn't had three years of Audrey/Nathan, I don't think Mr. Bryant could have pulled it off, either. Mr. Balfour being stuck with a in-again/out-again less-than-a-season brother... no.

I'm still not buying that Nathan is that suicidally inclined, though.

Flag
Here's kind of what I mean. A lot of folks say that Nu Doctor Who these days rushes things to get everything into a single 45-minute episode. Instead of those 2-4-6 parters, or even occasional Nu-Who two-parter.

That's what the new season feels to me. They seem to be rushing things and cramming a lot in, when before it was a lot more leisurely.
Flag
Seems to me that writer Speed Reed is living up to his name...
Flag
When i saw the crab, i thought the human eyes mush have come from people Wade killed and then submerged under water. I dont know why but i could also swear the crab said something before it jumped into the water. Did anyone hear what it said or was i out of it?
Flag
I replayed the 2 crab scenes and there was only a skittering sound. The crab did wink at Jennifer both times though!
Flag
Thank you..i may not be insane.!
Flag
They were not reverend kids they were his nephews they said that over and over again.The crab thing made me laugh! I thought it had to do with her parents.If Dwight is sheriff then where the heck was he all day.If they had the journal the whole time why did they say something earlier about it being bad to kill nathan. Im kinda worried the shows getting canceled cause they are rushing all the storylines
Flag
As far as the sons/nephews thing, see the first comment I made. No edit button. :(

I think we've always understood that the recurrings won't be in every episode. But the subplot of Dwight becoming the sheriff and Nathan being a mere deputy is one of those that seems to have been dropped for another round of "Who's going to sacrifice themselves this week?" And townspeople resenting Nathan for leaving for six months. Seen any of that since episode 1 or 2? Nope.

This week Nathan might as well have been in the same position he was for seasons 1 through 3. So why did they waste an episode setting up him not being the sheriff? They seem so busy tossing new things at us this season that they're not picking up the threads they created earlier. And that seems different than previous seasons.
Flag
Between the stupid crabs and no followup appearance by Kandyse (So Frikken Hot) McClure, and no Dwight, I want to say I was a bit let down by this episode, but I like the direction its presenting of anyone could be stamped with a trouble now, or have their trouble drastically changed.

Although this begs the question why nobody up until this point thought to create a comprehensive family tree of the town and notate which troubles ran in which family lines? Hell, they might nearly have come up with ways to merge families whose troubles cancelled each others out!
Flag
Hi Gislef, The brothers Jack and Aiden are not the sons of Reverend Driscoll as you have suggested. They are his nephews and if you had listened carefully you would have caught this information when watching the episode. Reverend Driscoll had a daughter who left him and moved away from Haven in Season 1, remember? And she left with Reverend Driscoll's adopted son!
Flag
Yes, my first comment pointed out my mistake there. If only there was an edit feature... :(

But if the sister moved away from Haven, how are her sons back now? See, that strikes me as an interesting story. Using them to advance a plot point (Duke's issues) and nothing else, not so much. Especially when Jack seemed to take a great deal of pride in how the Driscolls and the Crockers had guarded Haven.
Flag
Oh my god. His DAUGHTER moved away - not his sister! Wow.
Flag
See my post a couple hours before you responded, starting "Family lineages..." Thanks!
Flag
Yep. Just saw it. Apologies :-)
Flag
They aren't her sons. That would make them the Reverend's grandkids. The Rev must have had a sibling in the area and the boys are his or her kids.
Flag
Family lineages aren't my strong point ;) , but none of it negates my point. Unless they were third cousins of Driscoll's chiropractor twice-removed, there was interesting things to do with them, rather than waste them on a throwaway line about the Rev having a family and a plot point for Duke.
Flag
I am confused, I thought Audrey/Lexie was immuned to the troubles?
Flag
They actually talked about this, they said Aurdery is immune to the troubles, but she can be affected by actual physics. For example, if I'm telekinetic, I can't toss Audrey. But if I a throw a knife at her, she could die.

Makes sense?
Flag
thanks!
Flag
Um I am sort of worried that there was no Nathan in the promo next week.
Flag
I suspect that they did that deliberately, live or die. :)
Flag
Me too.
Flag
Gislef, I feel you! I could literally see the frustration seep through your lines above (and below) like an especially gooily trouble (They could totally make that up next time, right? Or maybe they have used it already and I kinda lost track? Surely there had been a slime monster in the history of Haven at some time).

I weirdly felt reminded of the worst/funniest/most ridiculous summer series ever: The Fishbowl thing (aka The Dome). But wait - it is not so weird at all, cause it is both based on Stephen King's written word!! Since I did not read neither I couldn't possibly say, if "Haven" had still the slightest connection to the book or not, or if the writers just made it up for fun or for maximum impact.

Seriously?? Crabs? With human eyes? Wtf, yeah, that is beyond scary!

It just left me profoundly confused. After reading your review, bewilderment changed into broad laughter. I doubt that qualifies for "maximum impact". And I am usually someone less critical and more open-minded regarding supernatural crab - oh, sorry, crap. (Yes, the pun was intended).

Not even the tragic romance (Nate and Audrey, sepia-ish toned over with soft focus lens) could save "Crush" for me. And I am tired of the blandly lifeless troubles as well... Okay, the dynamic bar(n) duo is spreading troubles like the flu. So what? Lets swiflty make up a back story of an Indian legend involving shocking shrimps, following Jenny around like a puppy dogs! The troubles are kind of overdosed lately, lots of collateral damage. I mean, half of the town might be dead right now, killed by high-pressure, but it failed to make an impression on me, there was no suspense at all.

See, Gislef, we are kindred spirits here, don't worry, it is not only in your head.

Hopefully, Haven will not follow this slippery slope into silliness but clean up its act in time. I was fond of the show from the beginning, so dare you "Haven" to spoil my affection!!
More+
Flag
Well, it's not as bad as Under the Dome. More likeable characters, for starters.

And the sheer number of fatalities seems to be adding up to the point that.. why do these people stay in town. The writers seem to want to up the stakes, topping what they did with the meteor shower last year.
Flag
You are right regarding the charcters; Duke is a sweetheart and Audrey and Dwight are great, Nathan has his highs and lows. Jenny and Gloria are interesting newcomers (btw. I ship Jenny and Duke!).

But the CGI of the Mini-dome incl. the Monarch was so poorly done and just popped into my mind when I saw the peculiar crab-thingie.
And there is a parallel here as the accumulating butterflies in Under the Dome were a signal for some strange events to happen and so is obviously the seeing shrimp. I know, it is a harbour town and therefore a marine creature makes sense (not so much in the middle of town, though), but I wish they could have come up with something more believable, like a flood or Northern Lights or whatever.
Flag
ha ha, I kind of think we're watching a different show or something. I enjoy every moment of this season, and even not always top notch troubles aren't really putting it down for me. And this week's trouble was good, real good, just like the last week's. So that's like just a new piece of mythos on how troubles are made, and that the rules, which worked when the barn was still sound and in working condition does not apply. What's not to like with that? Comparing to previous seasons this one works also great on the consistency - every episode is advancing the season arc in some way, while in earlier seasons we weren't always that lucky. Add some romance (pancakes and Duke/Jennifer), and the only thing to make me more happy would be news on Haven's renewal for season 5.
Flag
Have to agree. I'm not loving it as much as season 3, but waaaaay better than the first 2. The random trouble of the week has *always* been a metaphor for the characters problem. It's been like that since the days of Charmed and Buffy. Heck even way before that.

The 3 main issues I have with this episode is this:

1)Why did they have to stupidly walk all the way in those suits?!?
Why not just get a megaphone and shout at him?!?!?!?!?!?
Write up a big sign? You get the point...
All they needed was him to calm down

2) The whole Audrey killing Nathan is dumb if you miss the big elephant in the room: The resurecting Trouble from last season. Their fear that maybe it won't work is stupid because they can resurect Nathan,

3)The crabs... really?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Flag
I don't mind the Troubles sometimes being a metaphor for the characters' issues. But it seems like every Trouble, or a plot point involving them, has been a metaphor this season so far.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well, Audrey said that the bubble was a quarter mile across. So a megaphone wouldn't work.

Silly science again, though: she says that the bubble is increasing exponentially. That term is almost meaningless unless some timeframe is provided. Is is increasing exponentially once a minute? Once a day? Once a year? It seemed to expand very quickly, and then just stop or go very slowly. Exponentially it should increase faster/larger not slow down.
Flag
Science references rarely make sense on TV. You will just drive yourself crazy if you try to analyze it. It reminds me of that scene in Stargate where Carter says to the TV producer "The singularity is about to explode? Everything about that statement is wrong."
Flag
Yes, but "exponentially" is a pretty easily understood concept. It also suggests that writer Speed Reed deliberately put it in. After all, there was no reason to put it in if it wasn't. All Audrey had to say was, "The bubble was expanding." If the writer deliberately puts in "exponentially," he should understand what it means.
Flag
Ok, Ok, crabs are silly. Walking in suits when they could shout or shoot some sleeping arrows wasn't a wisest idea also, but overall I like this season. yes, S3 was stronger, but somewhat inconsistent at times, like we'd get a crumb of crucial information, and sometimes it would be just that - a piece of info with no development about it further. Meanwhile in s4 we're sort of bombarded with such crumbs, but they aren't as much random anymore as one thing leads to another and rather fast, e.g. ending troubles=Audrey has to kill Nathan -> Audrey's back=troubles changed -> killing Nathan is wrong. And while Gislef thinks there's way too much random mythos and all, I do not find this all that random. And it's high time Haven started to spill its many secrets one after the other. In three seasons we actually learned not all that much about this town and the history of troubles, so if season 4 means a right downpour of random facts on our heads, then let it - the more the better
Flag
I don't have a problem with the mythos either. Yeah, the pacing of the revelations could be better, but it's probably a case of the producers trying to push certain plots in case they don't get renewed. Also the things happening in Season 4 are bound to be different...because this is the first time in Haven's history that Audrey didn't go into the Barn and end the Troubles. This is completely new territory for everyone involved, so you would expect them to start investigating/uncovering things that they just never bothered with before.
Flag
My enthusiasm for the season varies. But they seem to lack timing this season. It's rush through this and that (Wade turning psycho, Duke and Jennifer falling for each other), drag some stuff out (three episodes of Lexie sitting around a bar talking to William), and seem intent on throwing as much new mythos stuff as possible. "There's a bar--there's a guy named William--there's a group that can mutate Troubles and create new ones--there's an ancient Indian curse with crabs--see look! look!"
Flag
Besides, it could be worse. They could be faking American accents and developing wireless energy... ;)
Flag
I totally know what you mean :P
Flag
Sorry, they're the Rev's uncles, not sons. Still seems odd we've never heard about them until now, or that they don't object to Audrey shooting their uncle.
Flag
Oh. My. God.
THEY ARE HIS NEPHEWS! NOT HIS UNCLES! REVEREND DRISCOLL WAS THEIR UNCLE!
This can't be happening. O_o
Cue Wiki:
A nephew is a son of one's sibling or half-sibling, and a niece is a daughter of one's sibling or half-sibling. The word nephew is derived from the French word neveu.
  • Nephew – son of one's brother/sister (and his/her spouse).
Flag
See my post elsewhere, thanks!
Flag
Oh ok. Yeah, I just saw your post about family lineages not being your strong point. It's too bad that they're not allowing you to edit it in your review. Apologies :-)
Flag
And that means that somewhere out there is a vengeful brother or sister of the Rev.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members