A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Whoops!

So apparently shooting Howard wasn't a good idea. Who'd have thunk it? And so on goes another season of Haven.

For reasons unexplained, Duke jumps forward six months in time and finds himself in an aquarium for some reason. It's not clear why. This seems to have been arranged by the Powers That Barn to put him in the path of Jennifer Mason, a Troubled (apparently), who has the oddly specific ability to hear people talking in the Barn. So... it only kicks in once every 27 years?

Anyhoo, Duke soon gets caught up to speed, finds Nathan, who is blaming himself for a) Audrey's death, and b) the Troubles not going away because he shot Agent Howard, which disrupted the whole wacky cycle. Maybe Howard should have mentioned his being killed disrupts the cycle: would have spared him a bullet.

Anyhoo, the Guard aren't happy with Nathan, Nathan isn't happy with Nathan, Dwight (the new sheriff) seems glad to have Nathan back because he's in over his head, and the Teagues are their usual enigmatic selves. Since we've got 12 more episodes to go, everybody sets aside their differences pretty quick and Nathan is soon temping for Audrey, helping out Dwight to deal with the weather wizardess Marion from episode one (Nicole Deboer, who was probably glad for the work, cheeks and all).

Marion soon resolves her problems when Nathan helps her realize that she has to let hold of the past (personal significance!), and Nathan decides to help Haven out while looking for Audrey, so she can kill him, so she can end the Troubles for good.

Meanwhile, Audrey is moonlighting as an amnesiac bartender named Lexie in an unspecified Texas-ish bar and steakhouse. The mysterious William comes in, chats her up, tries to lure her to his apartment, and takes out some guy trying to kill her because he knows who Audrey/Sarah/Lucy/Lexie really is. That part of the plot ends with a eureka moment *heh* when William tells her that people will die if she doesn't remember who she is.

Oh, and Duke's older brother Wade shows up and has taken over the Grey Gull.

Overall, the season 4 premiere set up the pieces for the rest of the season. Audrey will be back... sometime, the Troubles are still around, Nathan and Duke are kind of in charge of handling them, while dealing with their respective issue with ex-lover Jordan and new old-brother Wade, respectively.

Emma Lahana was amusingly quirky as Jennifer, being dosed for schizophrenia for the voices in her head. Adam Copeland (don't forget - he's WWE Superstar Edge!) continues to impress. The regulars were as good as always. Colin Ferguson seemed to be trying a bit too hard, but oh well.

For some reason, Harlan Ellison got a big callout in the opening bookshop scene.

So I'm calling it at a nice even 7. But hey, that's just my opinion. What do you think?
Comments (65)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ok, since my trouble is throwing out wild comments and theories here's one:
"The Bar" is not an actual bar at all.
"The Bar(n)" - a limbo like place where Lexie/Audrey is stuck until she's ready to accept that she may not be who she thinks she is.

What do you guys think?
Flag
I really hope we don't have to watch three more seasons before Audrey remembers who she is, it took to long for Audrey to get to the truth, and really Nathan and her need to be togeather.
Flag
God!!! I hope she turns back to Audrey soon, it feels like we are starting all over again and that sucks!!!
This is season 4 we have earned more the characters for Audrey and Nathan and Duke, I dont care about Lexie I just want Audrey back!
Flag
7 seems appropriate...sort of a sorting everything out episode especially since the last two of last season were kind of excitedly WTF. I have a theory, it isn't terribly original...it each iteration Audrey has a person she loves (Sarah may have loved Vince, I don't know about Lucy she might have just had really confusing feelings about James, Audrey, in my opinion is Nathan, and I might suggest for Lexie, Duke seems more her type -though I really liked Jennifer but it will take a couple episodes to get her to stop taking her meds and actually figuring out her issues - I'm going to guess either she or William are Howard's replacement - and I think that dude who wanted to kill Lexie - for sheer craziness is Arla (who else might want the troubles to continue)). But anyway, I am willing to place money on the fact that both Howard and James didn't get it right exactly and it is because some earlier iteration told them what was supposed to happen and it will be up to Audrey to fight her way to the surface to see the mistake she made in interpreting her own Trouble way back when.
More+
Flag
7, definitely a 7. The Teagues brought it down from 8 for me - I was in a 'tell us who you are or get lost already' mood with them. The mystery with them is just really old now. But yes, it was a bit rushed; as if we really lived there, had been away for a while and a nice (gossipy) neighbour was breathlessly bringing us up to speed because we were in the madness too, now were were back.

As for Jordan....oh dear; it could be because I've never liked her, but I really wish she'd die, or leave (either's fine; I'm not picky) as she's just a 'whatever' kind of character. The writers need to learn that being nasty because your ex is in love with the......actually do we even know what Audrey is yet? Because if some of you do then I must've missed that memo. Anyway, to recap - I don't like Jordan and her "I hate everyone because my ex loves the (insert what you think Audrey is here) and she's not dead yet" attitude. As well as the whole trying to turn Nathan 'Always Do-Right' Wuornos to the dark side is just not acceptable. Though I'm a Duke Crocker galfan myself. ;)

I don't like the whole Lexie thing either, sorry. I mean, can we please go back to calling her Audrey? because you know, I've had two strokes and remembering stuff can be problematic - many more names on this one character and it's going to finally push something important out of my addled brain......like how to breathe and walk at the same time. Or, even worse, I might do something rash like start calling my 15 year old offspring Lexie......that would not end well for anyone, trust me; in fact I'd rather forget how to breathe.
More+
Flag
I didn't mind Jordan last season, but now she's been reduced to being a bitter ex-girlfriend with cartoony villain presence. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised she's not dead. Women who are not named Audrey don't seem to last long on this show. Oh wait, there was another Audrey on this show and even she had a bad fate too. hmmmm....doesn't bold well for the new girl.
Flag
Girls in general don't last long - remember Duke's wife? I think she managed about two or three episodes tops, before meeting a fairly horrible death.
Flag
Yeah what happened to the real Audrey...she walked into the barn and never heard from again I am going to guess that was likely the first screw up.
Flag
The real audrey is now working in a bar with a really stupid name and the sheriff from Eureka stalking her......so yeah, pretty bad ending for her too.
Flag
Well, Howard told Audrey that she is human...but I take everything he said with a grain of salt.

Flag
Oh yup, if that guy told me the grass was green I'd still go check.
Flag
I agree with Mcarsono9 that this episode did seem rushed. The entire dynamic of the town has changed, 2 of our three main characters have returned from the ether into entirely separate circumstances, 3 new characters were introduced (4 if you count Lexie), and a huge gaping hole in the back story was only partially filled. All that, and they still crammed in a (recycled) trouble of the week. I think it would have been preferable to go with a slower pace for the re-premiere ... drop the trouble-of-the-week entirely and focus on character. This isn't an adrenaline soaked action series. Viewers are drawn in because It's a good-hearted, character driven yarn, and the writers shouldn't forget that.

I also think Sheriff Carter ... uh, excuse me ... Colin/William is the new caretaker and his job is to coax Audrey/Lexie into finishing the aborted barn run. I see serious bad vibes, even fisticuffs, twixt him and Nathan and/or Duke as they fight the battle for Audrey's real memories.

As for the hirsute hair stylings of Nate and Duke, I approve wholeheartedly. Then again, I'm a child of the sixities. Let that freak flag fly!

I like the Jordan character but she was a little emotionally one-dimensional and annoying in this. I hope she doesn't become the woman scorned, the militant thwarted, and nothing else. She's got a legitimate take on the troubles worth pursuing ... and she's a good foil for Nathan when he gets all Dudley DoRight.

I disagree with with Mc09 on one point, that the admitted flaws arising from trying to cram two episodes into one knocked its rating down to a five.

I felt the warm and fuzzies of seeing the characters again. I was entertained. I was intrigued. I was seduced into watching S04E02. I'd give it a solid 7.3 ...
More+
Flag
The premiere was really intense and once more left me hooked and wanting for more. Hopefully the season will come strong and tall with lots of new mysteries, case of the week troubles to deal with, and with Audrey-entity back on track in Haven ASAP. Liked the new addition to the cast (both the girl, and William), but just hope that this new male character addition won't spoil the dynamics of our original team. Yeah, the love triangle was getting a bit old and all, but I'd better cope with old than some new possible love interest of Audrey/Lexie.
Just wondering after watching this episode, whether Audrey is really dead, or due to the havoc with the barn the process got screwed and soon will get a surprise in form of Lexie being less Lexie and more of the Sarah-Lucy-Audrey-Lexie entity in one as in her starting to remember all or most of her previous incarnations very soon since the full erasure of previous incarnation was interupted and only lasted six months instead of 27 years as per normal cycle
Flag
i like the idea that Lexie is really just a 'melt together' of Sarah, Lucy and Audrey due to the barn meltdown. I mean... She's got the reddish brown + blonde hair thing going on... Coincidence...?
Flag
hey, you make a good point, there is no Haven name for what you call the "Audrey-entity". They never gave her any nicknames in the show, like "the barn girl" or something, to summarize all the names in one... maybet they should have! Don't you think that Lexie is one more of the faces of the entity?
Flag
she might be, but I hope it's a facade the barn managed to build in the short time it had, so that will start crumbling soon to give us Audrey or something alike back. Just not sure if after3 years with Audrey I'm ready for a totally new character with her face, after all this is Haven and not Doctor Who
Flag
I was kinda pleasantly surprised how pretty intense and good the Season 4 premiere was. Given it was hovering on a sliding scale of C+ to B- type of SyFy type of series, the S4 premiere logged a good A-. I agree with Gislef, a nice good 7. Hopefully, like True Blood, this season will pump new blood and a new lease of excitement to it going.

PS: Always found the Guard petty dumb asses, and they still seem that way on this premiere. Geez, get over your high horses already!
Flag
totally agree about the Guard!
Flag
I actually really liked the premiere because it wasn't as Audrey-centric in the sense that the character wasn't in almost every scene. I like that they're adding more characters like Duke's brother and Jennifer.

Questions: Doesn't Audrey always come back every 27 years? So the fact that Duke and Audrey were spit out 6 months later mean that the barn will also reappear soon? OR is Audrey basically free to live out her life as Lexie now?
Flag
yep, it might be that the barn comes sooner this time, you are right! or maybe the story will be something else completely different... there is also the "sheriff" and the guy with the gun as new characters, we don't know yet how these guys fit in the story...
Flag
Ok, I think you missed a couple of really important things.
1) Duke's jump forward in time is not unexplained. Time moves in the barn completely differently than it does in our world, and six months had passed in those few minutes that he was in the barn before it broke up. The dumping him in a random spot was just that...random. The barn was moving in some sort of interdimensional place, and since it wasn't time for it to return to Haven, where he was kicked out was random.
2)Was it just me or was the place Lexie/Audrey was working actually the Gray Gull? That was my impression, anyway. It's just that Duke's brother had completely redone the place, thinking he was dead, and hired Lexie.

And there was another thing that really struck me with its obvious foreshadowing. Nate was the one that Audrey loved more than anyone else -- but William is going to be Lexie's "true love" -- and the one who has to die to end the troubles. And NO, I didn't think he was slimy, in the least.

What would I give it? Definitely a 9. Next time, if you are going to blog about a show, I would suggest you watch it twice in order to pick up on any disconnects, rather than simply writing off the things you don't get as "unexplained."
More+
Flag
I also considered that it could be the Gray Gull, but it is not - If you would have paid as much attention as you required from Gislef, you would have seen this too. The Gray Gull it is still disposed the same way as it was before (the bar is on one side, not in front of the door) and it has a large number of windows to the bay (open or closed, the windows are still there) plus it is a large place, while the other bar is a lot smaller and closed to the street, and you can see in the signs very big that it is a steak bar. Plus, major reason for it not to be the Gray Gull, EVERYBODY KNOWS AUDREY in Haven, so it is likely they would have known she was working there, right?

I don't like when people are so hard on fellow users when there is no need. I think Gislef has some good points about the randomness of the events, whether the show will end up explaining them or not.
Flag
I didn't take her comments personally. We're all friends here. :)
Flag
I know that - and I have not been too hard on her neither, I hope.
Flag
Of all the random places in the universe to dump Duke... on the same continent, in the same country, on the same seacoast, in the same NE region of said country, within range of a Troubled person who just happens to have the solution to their problem, seems a) less than random, and b) unexplained as to exactly who and why did the non-random dumping. :)

The place Lexie/Audrey was working at had several Texas posters and signs.
Flag
Ah, but in Haven everything less than random. Or more than random. Or something. My head hurts ...
Flag
dunno how i feel about 'william' chatting lexie/audrey up'... he comes across as a bit slimey and to forward..

other wise good premier episode,

not sure why we had to have a repeat of the first troubled person audrey helped.. seemed like the writers couldn't think of anything else.. unless this retcon of sorts has meaning later on.

Noe as for duke being 6 months in the barn, how come in the s3 finale they weren't being held in the barn longer ? i can only assume because the barn was breaking down it's time zone was also being destroyed.
Flag
Episode rating = 6
Thanks for going to the effort of posting a review
Flag
That's what I'm here for. And posting quotes. And recaps. And cast. And crew. And all the music... :)

I guess we'll if staff posts a review. Usually they get it up within 24 hours, or at least a placeholder.
Flag
As long as you get enjoyment from the review, keep doing it even if the staff post reviews later on.
I liked the tone of the article - playful but well thought out
Flag
I love Haven, been missing it since the last season end and getting back to it, back to the opening track was just wonderful. Last season was very serious in the end episodes but the new season starts with good old fashioned regular lines to light up the mood and give some small laugh on the way.

New girl is good, filling the spots of craziness and hope they will keep her around for longer time. Duke was plain old Duke and he doesn't need to be change I believe.

However, Audrey... her old-decent style of talking was shining through her new persona and wasn't fitting in much together. Or maybe it was just me getting too much used to see her as Audrey and not accepting her as Lexie. I am not very sure about that but personally, I am glad there were not many scenes with her.
Flag
Nathan needs a haircut.
Flag
I know, right?! His hair is awful. He'll definitely get a haircut soon though....thank Havens!
I don't know if you saw the "this season on Haven" promo right after the episode but Nathan's hair looks great in what seem to be episodes approx. 3 and onwards.
Flag
... looks good with the beard, though.
Flag
So does Duke.
Flag
Duke needed a haircut three seasons ago. But I like scruffy Nathan.
Flag
I loved Duke's hair in Season 1 and 2. At the start of S3 his hair just got awful....I really hope he gets a haircut. I never liked scruffy Nathan. Nathan's hair right now actually looks very similar to his S1 hair but it'll look way better (imo) later this season.
Flag
I am loving scruffy Nathan! And Duke's hair doesn't bother me as much as it did, maybe cause he's keeping it tied back...? I also like Lexie's hair, but I think I'm in the minority on that one... Basically, I think everyone is looking goooooood.
Flag
It was a tiny bit disorganized and I felt tired rather fast of Jordan's bad mooths. Other than that, it was fine as a premiere for me. It is funny to see Audrey as Lexie - and I think we should be ready to live with Lexie just in case... I'm going to go ahead and give this an 8 in the reviews section, where I will get a lot of thumbs down only because I didn't give a 10 LOL - I think it is very positive that the show kept the same atmosphere . This still have the same looks we know for 3 seasons already. Same looks except for Audrey's hair!
Flag
Oooh that's an interesting point, she might stay Lexie, if she does stay, I feel like Duke would be more Lexie's type than Nathan
Flag
I think she'd be less uptight as Lexie but Audrey's a badass who can take of herself. Haven mind meld?
Flag
it seems there will be some competition this season regarding who is the person that she loves the most. And since her son is not there anymore to enter the competition, I guess it might actually be among Nathan, Duke and the eureka sheriff :)
Flag
It's not giving me a reply option to your comment below regarding James being dead so I'll reply here:
It's really sad that he's dead! Do we know for sure that he is dead? Apart from Nathan saying it? Cause if he's 100% dead - THAT'S PRETTY MESSED UP!
First he had a mother that left him when he was a baby then vanished (Sarah) but then a new version of her came and spent a good amount of time in his life (Lucy) but at the prime of his life he ended up in a barn for 27 years. How long is that in "barn time"? Then after ALL that he got reunited with his true-love (Arla) only to find out that she's a psychopathic murderer with a horrific trouble! He finally got to meet his father for exactly 5 seconds (Nathan) and a new version of his mother (Audrey)....all just to then, DIE. That's so effed up! Considering Nathan thinks/knows that his son is dead - he's not that upset about it. Sure, he didn't really know him but still. Poor Colorado Kid! :( I really hoped we'd get a little more info on him and Lucy.
R.I.P. COLORADO KID - You deserved better. :'(
More +
Flag
Yes, totally agree with you - 6 months have past of the events, but they have not mentioned even once. Maybe it is a way for the show to move on (badly done, show!) or maybe it is just to bring him back at some point and take us all by surprise. But for now he is dead in the barn :(
Flag
So is James definitely dead?? If so that's so sad cause he was Nathan and Audrey's (Sarah's) son, right?
Flag
Yes, apparently he is dead. I also think it is sad. I don't know if he will show up again. It is strange to have so much fuzz about "the colorado kid" and then let him die so quickly. And act like he never existed and nobody cared about him.
Flag
I think Colin's character is the new barn care taker. He will turn out to be the one she has to kill. I give this episode a 5. Yes a 5, it was rushed and tried to answer too much at once and didn't setup the new characters very well. Duke should have some dialog with his brother about the bar being open. Did Colin's character even tell "Lexie" his name? The Jennifer girl seems fun though.
Flag
Alternately, I considered titling this review, "The 13-episode Good Stephen King Series This Year." :)
Flag
Another domophobic ... ;-)

Flag
Oh, I'm fine with the novel...
Flag
I was going to write my own review of "Fallout". However, since you beat me to it I'll just comment yours :)

First of all - we need Audrey back in Haven ASAP. She's both core and heart of the show. I love Duke, Nathan and Sasquatch - but without our protagonist IMO they feel out of place.

Even if Audrey is dead (and Lexie is the new reincarnation) I really hope William wiil be able to restore her memories. I DO NOT like Lexie. THE NEW HAIR HAS TO GO.

Sasquatch has to be the most popular guy in the city. With the whole "if you pull the trigger you will kill me" attitude it's a wonder he's still alive.

Jennifer might be a good addition to the cast - we'll see.

Jordan is still kicking and it looks like she's Number 2 in the Guard now. Talk about quick promotion.

It was nice to see Marion again. Shame her boo died.

I'm REALLY glad Haven is back and I can't wait for next episode.

More+
Flag
Re: retaining Audrey's memories -- you may recall in a previous episode she was having flashbacks of Lucy's memories. It would seem that she carries them over but they kinda get white-washed after each barn trip. Sarah, Lucy, Audrey, Lexie -- the same person suffering a chronic case of recurring amnesia.
Flag
The hair? I miss Audrey's common sense.
Flag
Or post your review if you do agree. The more the merrier. :) I'm just curious if staff will review the show. They haven't in the past...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well, free to post your own if it's at odds with mine. Although that's why I usually don't post reviews on stuff that staff reviews: typically I agree with them. :)

I'm sure they'll get Audrey back fairly soon: there doesn't seem to be much she can do when she doesn't know who she is and we don't know who William is.

Dwight as sheriff, given his Trouble, seems an odd choice...
Flag
"Dwight as sheriff, given his Trouble, seems an odd choice..."

Lol! Yep! Although depends which way you look at it. Say he made it to a crime scene (where someone is trying to shoot someone) on time he could just stand there in his vest and be like: "Sorry. Ain't gonna happen!" ;-)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members